Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: RahXephon - Crescendo (Vol. 7)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Not unexpectedly, the conclusion of this series is apocalyptic. After being forced to action after fleeing from the disasters of the previous episodes Ayato Kamino finds himself at a crossroads in his own quest for identity. He fears that, if he gives in to the call of the RahXephon, he will lose his own personality. But the war between the Mu and humanity reaches a fevered pitch around him. If he does not commit, the ruin of what he loves is inevitable. Torn between his love for Haruka and the lure of Quon, Ayato most make a great leap of faith, with results that are difficult to absorb.
Watching these episodes is like falling through one layer of deception after another. Like an onion, the viewer first sees the interpersonal deceptions, then the deceptions of Mu and human, and finally the deceptions created by director Yutaka Izubuchi. These components are so intertwined that it is impossible to determine whether Izubuchi was deadly serious or tongue-in-cheek. This creates an intentional air of unease which is hardly relieved when the entire plot is once again stood on its head on last, glorious time. After pointing out that RahXephon was quite a bit different than Evangelion, These final episodes unexpectedly reestablishe RahXephons relationship to its noble predecesspr, while retaining a great deal of independent creativity.
From all production viewpoints - art, animation, music, acting, etc. - these final moments are outstanding, frame after frame. I have to say that I'm happy to have decided to follow the series, even if I haven't quite figured out what to make of it. As in much of art, you have to decide what it is you want to believe, which may very well be the point being the conclusion. In any case I don't think you will be disappointed - stunned maybe - but not disappointed.
on April 4, 2004
This series is vastly less well-known than Neon Genesis Evangelion even in Japan partly because it was broadcast after midnight. The release of the theater version last spring did not make much of a splash, either.
In my opinion NGE is ultimately a story of a family disguised as sci-fi anime, and RahXephone seems to cover a similar terrain as the story centers around Ayato Kamina's identity crisis and his search for his true self. As in NGE, the primary characters here feel somewhat alienated against each other and struggle hard to get their true feelings across. It is in this respect that the Jupiter barrier is to this series what the AT field is to NGE as they both represent the mental barriers that the characters harbor deep inside themselves. However, befitting their adolescent mentality, Ayato's and Haruka's yearning for each other seems more sugarcoated and thus less urgent than Shinji Ikari's yearning for love and recognition.
All the references to ancient mythology and music are ultimately peripheral to the main argument of this series. And I must admit that I could not get all the characters' names right until the very end of the series. That said, I am glad that I have seen the series and like this one no less than Neon Genesis Evangelion.
on October 19, 2004
Wow. That's the only word I can think of to describe how I felt when I finished the show. This show alone makes me want to expand my vocabulary just so that I can find a way to praise this series to the greatest extent that I am capable of.

From the very beginning of Rahxephon, I was intrigued, though I wasn't sure what to make of it at first. Each episode became like a piece of a puzzle that slowly put together the whole picture of everything that was going on. And most surprisingly of all, was the touching romance found throughout. The love between the two main characters is so deep and beautiful that it leaves you with that warm fuzzy feeling you get after drinking hot chocolate on a cold day.

This last volume was simply amazing. I was blown away by the animation, which not only exceeded my expectations, but practically tossed them out the window. Everything was gorgeous. The backgrounds, the character designs, even the mecha. Just about everything you wanted to know about is explained perfectly and carefully, without ever feeling rushed or ridiculous, while some of the more discreet elements are left shrouded in mystery to ponder later and during repeated viewings.

And best of all, the ending is wondeful and leaves you happy. I can't tell you how important of a thing that is. Lately, I've found myself extremely disappointed with anime endings. Wild Arms and Orphen, which left me confused and annoyed, Noir and Lain, which both left me feeling depressed and annoyed. Berserk... I'm not even going to go into how that anime ended. Full Metal Panic, definitely disappointed me. Come to think of it, a lot of animes just leave you thinking "that's it? Where the heck is the rest!" But not Rahxephon. It left me smiling and feeling very pleased and moved.

To those that unfairly compare this to Neon Genesis Evangelion, please try and be fair. I personally didn't even find myself thinking of the other show at all while I watched it. Definitely a new favorite of mine. I hope others enjoy it as much as I did. ^_^
on January 3, 2004
For those of you who've seen the whole of Evangelion and have vowed to do terrible things to Hideaki Anno should you ever meet him, watch Rah-Xephon and see the series Eva should have been.
It does cover almost exactly the same ground as Eva, but with enough differences and more importantly enough coherency that your not left saying what the... after the final episode. Easily as good as the series that so clearly inspired it.
Crescendo, wraps the series perfectly, answering just enough questions to prevent the outcry that greeted Evangelion, but leaving enough unanswered to avoid critisism that the show was dumbed down.
on November 7, 2003
RahXephon: Orchestration 7: Crescendo
At long last, the war with the Mu reaches its climax. The truths that have been hidden are finally revealed. As Ayato stands on the brink of making the ultimate choice, the future of not just one man and one woman, but of two sentient races, hangs in the balance. The symphony of light and terror, of treachery and love, at last completes itself in the final astounding volume of RahXephon.
This sereis is great! I love the music! This is a must see anime, if you are a fan of Scifi, Mecha, and Romanace!
Running Time: Approx. 75 Mins.
on November 25, 2012
Good Animation, love it bunches. Purchased it for a gift. Arrived quicker than expected and was well packaged for protection.
on August 1, 2005
The ending to RahXephon confused me but, I did not care. After watching all 26 episodes I can say that everything about this series is beautiful. I do plan to get the RahXephon motion picture to complete this series. The ending is like a combination of the original ending to Neon Genesis Evangelion and End Of Evangelion put together. In short, this is a repeat of both endings to N.G.E. with a little more added.

P.S. To people like Steve Ressel, just because the ending to this series confuses you does not means you should dislike it.
on December 8, 2003
Rahxephon has to be one of the greatest anime around today. This the final DVD of the series, can only be descibed as great. After the Absolute Barrier was taken down and the MU set up shop around the whole world, Ayato is again made to choose to fight for the person he loves, or to stand and do nothing. Of course he chooses love (what guy wouldn't). It does have a few twist that may require a second veiwing...but all in all it was perfect. First anime I've seen that did not leave me hanging. On a side note the Import Rahxephon movie is a good buy, it has a good deal of back story and will explain some of the twist they left out in the U.S. series.
on November 12, 2004
Welcome to RahXephon, an unabashed "compliment" to Neon Genesis Evangelion, and shame on anyone who doubts it.

For those of you who finished Neon Genesis Evangelion with crossed eyes and drool at the corner of your mouth, have heart; I was there with you. Even the new End of Evangelion, an amazing and awe inspiring anime, brings little real closure other than what the watcher decides to believe. Evangelion is a mish mash of confused monologues, esoteric concepts and diluted theology. And that never stopped everyone from loving it.

Why am I reviewing Evangelion when RahXephon is what I am supposed to be writing about? Well, RahXephon is so much like Evangelion that to not mention them together would be criminal. Each episode is set up much like Evangelion, with a singular enemy appearing, the command unit deciding on a course of action, and the hero eventually somehow defeating the enemy, often after a crisis of character. Even the D1's in this series are angelic, more so even than Evangelion's but the relation is uncanny. Our main Character, Ayato, even acts like Shinji much of the time, endlessly questioning his own motives and his place in the world. The supporting cast also closely resembles those in Evangelion in one way or another.

BUT! This is not a criticism! The fact is that Evangelion is one of the most influential anime series of all time and it would be a damn shame if it wasn't borrowed from occasionally. What is special to RahXephon is, although the last few episodes break into a highly philosophical tone, it is not so confused as Evangelion. And by confused I mean that if you really listen to the last two episodes of Evangelion, and I mean really listen, they are not saying anything sensical. It is up to the viewer to take from it whatever they want. RahXephon is less demanding, allowing each viewer some lee way on interpretation but also setting a definite theme. Still, as I listened real close to RahXephons's ending, again the ideas were simple after the obsessive diolouge was sifted through.

The reason I give RahXephon a 4 instead of a 5 is that, as amazing as it is and as well done, there are still a number of series out there that are just plain better. Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne come to mind. I also personally disliked the level to which characters constantly questioned themselves, something that is much more common in anime than Hollywood. Whether this is cultural or otherwise, I know not. All I know is that as the end apporaches, its not action filled...its thought provoking.

In the end, RahXephon is worthy of any collection, though maybe not worth buying each disk individually. Because ultimately, unless you haven't seen Evangelion, you'll be noticing a lot of similarity throughout this series. And while that doesn't diminish this title, it is worth consideration.
on March 12, 2004
With the war between Mu and the Human's about to conclude, the time for the tuning of the world is at hand. Ayato now must face what the attaining of Yolteotl truly means as well as deal with the death and destruction it will deal to those around him.
Volume seven of Rahxephon ends with its final three episodes. The great thing about this anime series that's lacking in others is that ends magnificently. Just about everything you want to know is explained in this volume and that's what makes not only this volume great but also the series. This is truly a great anime series and one that should not be missed.