Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 14, 2007
This is one of the best book about Rails. It is very well written and is easy for a beginner to accomplish the goal of each recipe.

There is no fluff in this book, it is to the point and explains everything very clearly. Unlike other heavy weight Rails books, you don't have to read it multiple times to understand the concept. It is very practical so you can learn faster.
on March 11, 2007
I think it's safe to assume the following:

1) Ruby on Rails is hot.

2) Many of us are coming over from other languages (C++, C#, Java) and frameworks (.NET, JEE).

3) You need to start by getting the Ruby pickaxe book ("Programming Ruby") and "Agile Web Development with Rails," both by Dave Thomas.

Once you've gone through those two books it is time to face the steep and mysterious RoR learning curve. (Someone else made that statement. I can't remember where I read it, but I like it because it's true.)

That's where this book (and its companion "Ruby Cookbook") come in. They contain a ton of succinct, well-written examples. Even if your exact task isn't covered, you can usually find something that's close enough to get you started. And you can usually learn something new by browsing any given example.

Let's face it, programming has become so complex that not owning a book like this is not an option.
on May 7, 2007
Web programmers and practicing developers working with Rails will want this solution-oriented guide to building web 2.0 applications - a guide packed with recipes for success from the basics of installing and using Rails to the latest applications. Learn how to work with an application's logic, how to test and debit a Rails application, and use Rails plug-ins with RAILS COOKBOOK: APPLICATIONS FOR RAPID WEB DEVELOPMENT WITH RUBY, which covers version 1.2 and will reach both programmers and serious programming libraries.
on August 27, 2007
The "Rails Cookbook" is a very useful book for the working programmer.

Programming is all about solving problems, and that is exactly what this book is about. Each "Recipe" contains the problem, the solution and a discussion about the solution. They are concise without being too vague to be useful.

The book contains almost 200 of these problems / solutions.

This probably wouldn't be a good introduction to the language or the framework, but if you already are familiar with both - this book is a very valuable tool to help you get your work done.
on June 19, 2007
Now that I've encountered a few recipies books, I have to admit I'm in love with the format. I proves very practical and much easier to use.
on January 19, 2007
I read a pre-release version of this book and was very impressed with the quality and breadth of the content. Rob Orsini and the various other contributors appear to really know their stuff and have a solid grasp of the technology involved. For someone fairly new to Rails or someone who needs a reference for the occasional hint on how to proceed in an unfamiliar area, this book will provide them what they need.

In the interest of full disclosure: I was a tech reviewer for this book, but did not receive any monetary compensation (I may be receiving a copy of the book, but that's it) for it and receive nothing for posting this review.
on February 16, 2007
If you like Cookbooks like I do I highly recommend you get this book. It's not a huge book but it does a pretty good job with what it does cover. I gave it 4 stars because I wish it had more recipies especially with ActionView. Also, I found some deprecated code in the Application Testing chapter. Good Documention and sample code is Rails biggest weakness right now.

Neil