4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not what you are expecting ...
Let me first state that this is an excellent book. However, it is really a book about taking things to the next level. If you are looking for solid how-to information about installing a rain garden in your back yard, you might be disappointed.

Published on December 27, 2007 by Dan Mays

3.0 out of 5 stars Not proper title name
This book only covers about 16 pages of rain gardens out of ~175 pages. A more appropriate title should be its subtitle, not rain gardens. If you're looking for rain garden info, this is not the book. It is a good reference for other sustainable water practices - standing water retention, swimming ponds, green roofs, etc.
Published on February 22, 2008 by E. Dick

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not what you are expecting ..., December 27, 2007
Dan Mays (Walcott, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rain Gardens: Managing Water Sustainably in the Garden and Designed Landscape (Hardcover)

Landscape architects, designers and accomplished amateurs with advanced skill sets looking to handle water both innovatively and creatively will delight in this book. I did ... but then I already have three rain gardens in my own landscape and teach how-to classes on installing them. If the concept of rain gardens intrigues you and you are looking for the basics on a DIY level, the free, downloadable rain garden manual from the University of Wisconsin is still the best source of that information, as of January 2008.

This book has a decidedly European flavor to it. And why shouldn't it? It is written by a couple of Brits. Although I am hard-pressed to see how some of the models given in the book will pass muster with the Americans with Disabilities Act, codes and other regulatory bodies, they should indeed stimulate the mind. The examples (of which there are many) also include public and even larger municipal installations. I find this a good thing for Americans to be exposed to. The Europeans are far ahead of us in green thinking. Included are some examples of essentially, municipal civil engineering projects both implemented and functioning with panache.

This is a book that I value having in my personal library. Someone looking for basic information may not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not proper title name, February 22, 2008
E. Dick (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars rain gardens review, December 28, 2007
A thorough treatment of all possible ways of dealing with storm water run-off, not just rain gardens. No detailed instructions on "how-to" which I had expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rain gardens and much more, April 28, 2009
A. Thomas (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I came upon this book for my research on rain gardens and various methods of bioremediation, the books packs a significant amount of wisdom and details into its modest number of pages, well developed and very comprehensive for projects on a relatively small-scale site.

3.0 out of 5 stars General, March 31, 2012
The book is too general for what I am need. I want information about engineering a functional small biorentention cell. I want to know how to use a soil test to determine how much pollution my rain garden will remove. I want to know how to calculate, or find software that will calculate the size of rain garden I will need to handle runoff from a suburban street. I love Timber Press, and this book will help me sell the idea of rain gardens with its pretty pictures, photos, and discussion. However, it will not help me build an actual functioning rain garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good on several levels, January 5, 2012
This book is not meant for those who are well versed in rain gardens looking to learn more about them, however it does provide many good references and precedents to expand some basic knowledge and styles in design.

Studied stormwater management in Berlin for several months visiting and using a few sites that were listed in the book in my study.

Highly recommended if you are interested in stormwater management on any level in my opinion though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, February 18, 2009
This is a great book for introduction to varies methods in dealing with storm water management. As a landscape architecture student it was very useful in apply to my studio projects. I would recommend it to other students as well as anybody interested in learning about what the future entails for urban water management.

5.0 out of 5 stars changes the way you live your life., September 5, 2007
This source book of ideas of how to make your home an easier to maintain and more ecological system is amazing. I will be using this to de-commission my lawn mower, save time and money and be more ecological. This is a real winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Informational Book, September 30, 2008
Freyja (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
A very informative book on an important topic. Pictures are used well to illustrate.

ARRAY(0x94b0ec54)