‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 24, 2009
This review is from: Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope and Encouragement for Difficult Times (Hardcover)
I love this book! Believe it or not, it made me laugh (this author is very witty), and of course, it made me cry, too. It is obvious the author writes from a place of deep personal experience; an experience she is willing to vulnerably share with her readers, and an experience from which her readers can definitely benefit. It is also obvious she has an intimate knowledge of Scripture and her own intimate relationship with Christ.

It is appropriate for any sort of difficult time you might be going through. Whether you're struggling with grief from a loss or just having one of those days where nothing seems to be going right, the truths in this book are appropriate because they are rooted in THE Truth. This is one book I will have handy at all times, for myself and to share with others, not one that will sit on a shelf collecting dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, November 1, 2009
Rain on Me is a 40 day devotional book for anyone walking through life's storms. If you are traveling through a painful time or if you know someone who is, this beautifully written book speaks directly to the heart. Holley Gerth offers real life stories while leading readers to soak in His Truth. Rains On Me is written by someone who has been there, who has experienced brokenness, but found healing.

Each devotional ends with a passage to read, an area to reflect on what God is telling you, and a place for the reader to respond or journal their own thoughts. Holley Gerth covers topics like: It's Ok to Not Be Okay, Where Is God When it Rains, The Beauty of Brokenness, The "Do What You Can" Plan, to name a few. I highly recommend this book, it is one I am going to read over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best devotionals I've ever read, March 3, 2009
Holley Gerth's passion to reach those who are hurting is obvious in every page of this book. Each devotion was written as Holley walked through her own storm so she is able to reach people right where they are. Each day that I read, I am left feeling emotionally uplifted and encouraged about my life's journey in God's hands. I'm so glad to have found a resource to give as a gift to those who are in search of hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging & Heart-Tugging Book, March 8, 2010
I have been reading this author's blog, Heart to Heart with Holley, for several months, and have been greatly blessed. It's at the top of my favorite blogs to read. How delighted I was when her publisher, Summerside Press, sent me a complimentary copy of Holley's book, Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope and Encouragement for Difficult Times, to review. And I have not been the least disappointed. This will be a book I will recommend and give away, no doubts!

Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope and Encouragement for Difficult Times is written as a 40 day devotional, with real-life stories, thoughts and personal pains through storms in her life and that of others. Each devotional ends with a "Read" section, referring to Scripture passages to read, a "Reflect" section with questions in how to apply the devotional to your life and room to write about it in the book, and then a "Respond", closing with a prayer. You will find devotionals such as:

Every Storm Begins with One Drop
It's Okay to Not Be Okay
Where's God When It Rains?
The Beauty of Brokenness
Soaring above the Storm
The "Yes" You Never Expected
Bitter or Better
Taking Care of You
Share Rather than Compare
Strength in Weakness
Holley wrote this book, even as she was going through a storm in her life, sharing,

This book is different because I'm still in the storm. I don't believe we have to wait for blue skies in order for God to use the rain. It can start right here, right now. (p. 14)

Though a very transparent book, you will not go away feeling down, but will laugh with Holley, cry and find reasons to praise God even in the midst of your storm.

"It's one thing to look back on the storm and praise God; it's quite another to raise your hands to heaven when the lightening is flashing and the thunder is roaring. It's only through the amazing grace of God that we can do so. Rather than drowning out our voices, the praise we give God during difficult times is the most audible of all to the world." (p. 97)

This book will make a wonderful gift . . . but read it first . . . you will be blessed and encouraged!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Shower for Thirsty Hearts, July 12, 2009
As an author I have frequent opportunities to review books and do enjoy many of the ones I am blessed to read. But there are a handful that stand out to me as "the cream of the crop" and Rain on Me is one of those beautifully crafted treasures that speaks to the heart! The writer in me just relished in all the delightful word pictures and the way Holley made a seemingly mundane topic such as "weather" come alive. The frustration in my own spirit over being down with a broken foot, and on a wider scale the ongoing struggles of chronic illness, were ministered to very personally way by Holley's reflections. I know this book would have also been an amazing blessing to me in the midst of our journey through infertility.

So many of Holley's stories met me right where I lived and I kept thinking, "I'll have to ask Holley if I can reprint part of this one on my blog!" only to have the same thoughts about a different devotional a few days later. The "counselor" in found myself listing the names of so many hurting hearts who would be encouraged and ministered to by this amazing little book and I'm buying several copies to share as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars wide-range age appeal, February 14, 2013
I've read this myself as well as using it as a devotional aid with teenage girls; the Umbrella poem is worth the entire book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Coping Tool, February 1, 2013
E. Tantum (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent resource for me as I travel the long, crooked road of divorce. The unexpected end of my marriage has left me devastated and hopeless. I am reading this devotional for the third time, and every time it's like reading it for the first time. It has given me such perspective and I feel truly comforted every time I read one of the devotions. The devotions are short and have thoughtful questions at the end for processing what you have just read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blessing, May 19, 2014
Was a blessing during a very difficult time. It's such an insightful and down to earth presentation. It makes you feel like the author is right there with you, guiding you through your situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT for the Hurting!, March 18, 2014
I bought this for a doctor that lost her mother. It has been a blessing to her life and very comforting.

5.0 out of 5 stars So encouraging!!!, December 4, 2013
I already did this devotional in Dutch, but wanted to read the original as well...
It has ben as encouraging as the first time I did the book!
I can really recommend this book to others! (I already did...)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope and Encouragement for Difficult Times
Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope and Encouragement for Difficult Times by Holley Gerth (Hardcover - February 15, 2009)
Used & New from: $7.29