5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sandals
Published on May 3, 2010 by R. Beemer

1.0 out of 5 stars I have always loved my rainbows but.............
Published 2 months ago by Robert P. Parks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sandals, May 3, 2010
Over the spring and summer these are my main footwear. If you have high arches, the double layer Rainbows are the only way to go. As far as hemp vs leather; the leather ones have a more comfortable sole while the hemp have a more comfortable strap. The hemp ones also don't last quite as long, but are more sustainable. I really am stuck between the two, so I just switch every time I need a new pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomeness, October 3, 2013
I have been wearing Rainbows for over 10 years. I always got the full leather flippy-floppies but it rains a lot in the summer here and my foot slides in them too much when they get wet. The hemp are perfect for wet conditions because they keep my foot stable, as well as being super comfortable. Couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, like all my other rainbow sandals, April 18, 2013
This is my 3rd pair of Rainbow Sandals. It took 2 days of wearing them to break them in. Once broken in, they are extremely comfortable.

I will buy them again!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm surprised that I prefer it over the leather version, July 10, 2014
I also have the leather version of the double rainbow (xxl), yet I am surprised that I like the feel of the hemp much better. No "sticking" to it, sweating, etc. It isn't rough like I thought it would be. My feet like it. So, I plan to make these my keepers for indoor sandals, and wear out the leathers outdoors. I like two sets of sandals, one indoor, one outdoor. So, when the leather wears out, I would plan to not get leather, but hemp for both outdoor and indoor. Yet, I don't expect my hemp indoor versions to wear out over the next three years. We will see.

Enjoy, Patrick David

1.0 out of 5 stars I have always loved my rainbows but............., June 8, 2014
I have had several pairs of rainbow sandals that have held up for years and have been worn on an almost daily bases. They have all held up great! However, the hemp rainbows started falling apart after only wearing them for two hours around the house. The layer of hemp frabic glued to the top of the flip flop started to peel away from the sandal. I was surprided and very disappointed. I'm returning them for a traditional leather pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainbows are the best!, July 3, 2013
I ordered these to replace my much worn and much loved of the same item. I had my old pair for 2 solid summers, and wore them nearly every day, hiking, gardening, socially. Great shoes!

I Love the hemp, they are great as they don't get slippery if you are walking around in the rain or in the creek :-)

Also for women with wider feet- I reccomend the mens, I find the womens are too narrow for my feet, (I'm a womens 9, and the mens medium fit perfect)

They arrived quickly, and I'm very happy with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, March 21, 2011
Misken (Pacific Palisades, CA) - See all my reviews
Not much to say. These are great! I love the hemp as they absorb moisture and don't get as sweaty on hot days. This is my second pair of the EXACT same shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars hemp rainbows, March 23, 2009
great shoes-very comfortable. highly recommend-my others started wearing out after 15 years of wearing them at the beach and for 'knocking about'.

5.0 out of 5 stars the wise flip flopper prefers double stack, August 17, 2008
The uncomfortable breaking in period (about a week) is well worth it. Great arch support, hemp stays relatively dry even on 90+ degree days, and the pillowy double stack padding made me a believer. Very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Agonizing break-in period, July 30, 2014
I had read about the break-in period of Rainbow sandals, but holy moly, this was absurd.

The toe-thong (which goes between your big toe and the second toe) actually bruised my toe-bone. It was THAT tight. Like, I couldn't walk more than perhaps 50 feet without agonizing pain. I also developed cuts on the tops of my feet, from the straps.

I estimate it took 36 hours of walking to break in these sandals. Once broken in, they are incredibly comfy, though.

The hemp sole is interesting. At first, it had a rough texture; after break-in, the texture has become very smooth, almost slippery. And the strap is now much more comfy, too.

The thickness of the sole is the biggest selling-feature of this sandal; it's almost like wearing sneakers. The tread is alright, and I didn't really slip anywhere.

I took these sandals on a trip to Vietnam, so they were great in that capacity. The hemp dries very quickly, and I've read that the leather versions don't dry this fast.

Cosmetic issue: I have the black sandals, and the sole very quickly becomes discolored to gray where your feet make contact. The soles show a perfect gray footprint, surrounded by black wherever my foot doesn't touch the sole. This doesn't bother me, but it may bother you. The soles do NOT stay black; they very quickly and easily become discolored to gray.

Overall I'm satisfied enough that I'm actually going to purchase the leather versions as soon as they're on sale. But this time, I'll get dark brown.

Rainbow Sandals Men's Double Layer Hemp Sandal