4.0 out of 5 stars Hemp is Good, but Leather is Better
Published on June 11, 2007 by Jon Plenn

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable...but these sandals STINK!
I had a pair of leather Rainbows for about 2 years, but they started to crack. I decided to try the hemp ones, read good things. They are definitely comfortable and have held up well except for one thing...they wreak! I don't have dirty feet and my other shoes don't smell at all, but these things are embarrassing.

I would recommend paying the extra $10 and...
Published on February 6, 2008 by Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Hemp is Good, but Leather is Better, June 11, 2007
This is my second pair of rainbow sandals, and I believe I will continue to be a loyal customer to the brand. You won't find a better quality sandal (and they guarantee a new pair if the old pair 'breaks' before you wear through the sole...check website). The only reason I got rid of my old pair was mold...and it was my own fault. They were leather, I'd used them in water and then not properly washed/dried them.

This is my reason for hemp this time around. I must admit that the leather was slightly more compfortable, but the hemp is still better than any of that synthetic bologna. Be prepared for your skin to be rubbed raw the first time you wear them for a long walk...but after you callus up, it's smooth sailing. Such is the life of a sandal wearer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great after Broken in!, August 30, 2007
This is my second pair of rainbows (the first pair were premium leather, and I did not know that if they got wet, you had to dry them immediately- so they started to get pretty gnarled). These are great, durable sandals - great for school, since they dont require you to take them off if you have to walk through water. They do hurt your feet for the first few days, so I break them in via many short trips in them, not one whole day, which I did in my leathers, which made my feet feel like s***! The ones I bought were black, so they dont show dirt as easily. I do miss the different colored rubber on the side, but thats minor. Plus, theyre cheaper and more "eco-friendly" than the leathers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable...but these sandals STINK!, February 6, 2008
Scott (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews

I would recommend paying the extra $10 and getting leather sandals, you won't regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Outsourced For Lower Quality, June 7, 2014
I remember when Rainbows used to be made in the USA. While I'm not one who usually doesn't take notice to Made in China, I have with Rainbows. Compared to the USA ones, the Chinese's foam and plastic layers began to delaminate on my left sandal. The hemp layer did the same on the right sandal. Due to their warranty for these types of sandals, I couldn't send them in because I already wore through a tiny piece of hemp.

The actual materials are good. The hemp is a little rough, so I suggest putting lotion or creme on before wearing. Like any Rainbow sandal, you still go through Hell Week, which is where the sandal may cause blisters as it forms to your feet. After the awhile, the hemp may smell so just wash it carefully and ONLY DRY IN THE SUN. Excessive heat with shrink the hemp like any other fabric.

In all honesty, I suggest Vere Al sandals because they are everything that Rainbow Sandals used be, like Made in USA, and doesn't have the limited warranty support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sandles, July 21, 2013
Josh (Corona, ca United States) - See all my reviews
Uncomfortable at first until you wear them. They will form to your feet over time. Very durable unless your dog eats them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last flip flops you'll ever buy, July 17, 2014
I've worn flip flops (or phillipe phillopes as they call them here in the south of france) almost daily for 20 years. You might say I'm a flipflop connoisseur. Or you might say I'm a dirty, french bum. I've flipflopped between everything from quiksilver and billabong to prada and gucci, but after I flopped on my first pair of hemp rainbows I never flipped back.

These have it all:
+ sturdy construction: only reason I ever buy new ones is because the old ones get too dirty. I've never once broken a pair despite all the miles I put on them.
+ comfortable: stiff enough to not be flimsy and uncomfortable hiking to the natural pools on the Toiny Coast of St Bart's, but soft enough to not hurt your feet after a day of laying around. Most importantly, the strap never chafes you when it gets wet or becomes misshaped after too much salt and sun.
+ light: many of the fancy flip flops are trying to be shoes, but like any race car driver will tell you: lightness is everything.
+ good looking: simple, understated, and elegant. They're like a one of those linen suits James Bond wears whenever he's in the tropics. With a different brand these could be three times the price.

You will see a lot of choices for these. Make sure to select the following:
1. your true shoe size; you don't have to worry about these being lose because you're not wearing socks; I wear 46(EU) or 12(US) and XL for these.
2. hemp; this is the whole point of these; much better than leather because they're unaffected by (salt) water
3. single layer; flip flops are supposed to be light and simple; trust me.
4. natural color; granted this is a personal choice and the downside to natural (beige) is that it gets dirtier faster, but it's not that bad and you can wash these and it looks much better imho than black or brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, September 20, 2007
benm93 (north carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
comfortable, hold up well, dry out after getting wet and dont look dark like the leather ones get after getting wet, and they look good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sandals on the Market!, September 5, 2013
These sandals are awesome! I am on my 4th pair and I wear them til my foot is showing through the bottom. By far the best sandals on the market and well worth the price. XL fits like an 11-12 shoe!

5.0 out of 5 stars THESE are the sandals I've been lookin' for., July 26, 2013
Definitely a great, comfortable shoe, and great alternative to the chemical plastic, rubber, or leather sandals that are sold in most stores. The material is extremely comfortable and durable. The thong part WAS a bit tight at first, but after wearing them twice, they've broken in nicely. That's the cool thing about these shoes, instead of you having to get used to them, they adjust according to how your feet are shaped. Also, if they begin to smell unpleasent after wearing them frequently, simply wash them with a little bit of laundry soap and hot water by hand, rinse thoroughly, and dry them in front of a small fan. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars great flip flop, June 30, 2013
i bought this to replace a pair i have been wearing pretty much nonstop for 5 + years. great product, great price. i got exactly what i wanted

Rainbow Sandals Men Hemp Single Layer