Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on June 10, 2011
I had purchased the single layer thick strapleather sandal 2 years ago, wore them pretty much every day all summer long (I was allowed to wear them to work), and just now, after 2 years, they started losing their padded support on the pressure points of my feet (heel and ball). They are a very well made sandal and super comfortable.

This time I went ahead and got the double layer thin strap leather sandal because I want that extra arch support and padding, and I hope they will last longer than 2 years. They had a minimal break in period - the straps were slightly snug and rubbed the inside of my feet a little raw the first time. After that they were fine. I remember when I first bought the thick strap sandals, they were instantly comfortable - - - no break in period.

I love how they quickly mold to your feet, and the footbed is smooth and soft leather. I prefer leather footbeds because they do not hold odors like synthetics do, and leather allows your feet to breathe.

I have taken many long walks in them already, and they are great at shock absorption and have a nice supportive arch.

The one semi-negative thing I can think of to say is that the sizing is difficult. I normally wear a size 7.5-8 in any shoe, but in the Rainbow Sandal sizing chart, I found the Large (7.5-8.5) to be 3/4" too large. I wish I would have ordered the next size down, although I really don't think it has affected the function of the sandal. Only looks slightly too big for my feet.
44 comments29 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2007
i couldn't understand why a pair of sandals would be so expensive, but now i know. they are the most comfortable pair of sandals i've ever worn and are totally worth the price. broke them in so fast. i wear them ALL the time and i'm about to get another pair in a different color. definitely recommend!
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2008
OW i read the reviews for this product and no one said how much they tear up your feet the first week of wear. i bought them because they are soposidly the best and took them on vacation on me to find after the first day my feet were torn up! after the 1 week period they feel like sneakers and the week of pain was definitly worth it.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2014
I love Rainbow sandals! I ended up returning these because I overlooked the fact that they have a stacked sole and I prefer a flat sandal. Like my other Rainbow sandals, these were snug when I tried them on. So long as the length looks and feels right, know that these will stretch out as you break them in. I have a normal width foot and high arches which a makes them extra snug at the beginning, but after a couple wears they will begin to stretch out nicely. Plus the leather footbed gets softer and more smooth over time.
on August 10, 2013
I was soooo excited to get my first pair of Rainbows. I read the reviews about the break-in process and thought 'how bad can it be?' I am not one to shy away from pain for cute shoes. Blisters, blood, what ever... bring it! HOLY MOLY!!! Breaking them in required a level of discomfort I was not prepared for. The soles were stiff but I broke that by hand. My problem was the straps. Not the general rubbing from new shoes, but the fact that they were so tight they literally cut into the tops of my feet. I don't give up easily so here is what I did.

Day 1--- Wet them with warm water and wear til dry. I continued to wear them 6 hours before I called it a day.

Day 2--- Wear them in the shower and then til dry. Wet them again midday and keep them on.

Day 3 (my feet are making me cranky)--- Wear in shower again, this time I put on socks when I let them dry on my feet. I am totally fed up at this point. Now I get clever... I take them off and wet them in the sink. Then I shove the toe of my converse all-stars into the straps and place on top of my car in the hot August sun. I don't have much to lose since I can't wear them as-is. After a couple of hours in 'time out' I gave them another try. MUCH BETTER!!!

The using something other than my feet to stretch out the shoe was my husband's idea. I wish I had tried it on day 1. I have only had them on a couple of hours since taking them off the top of my car, but I can walk around with ease now and even feel what everyone raves about. I can see myself wearing these every day and loving every moment of it. Hope this helps others with the tight strap problem :)
11 comment18 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
The last time I bought a pair of rainbows was 4 years ago! I wore them until the soles at my heels were completely worn down. They form to your feet in about a week of consistent use.
This time I went ahead and put in the extra few bucks to get the double layers, and I'd say they're worth the investment. Incredibly comfortable, and easy to wear with my casual outfits.

I might try the wide straps next time, but the narrow straps are comfortable, too!
on January 2, 2014
I was disappointed that the thong of the flip flop is now nylon. They used to be all leather and fit my feet better. The new Rainbows with the nylon thong do not fit as well on my feel as they feel too loose.
on June 12, 2015
I finally bought a new pair after owning these flip flops for 12 years, so they hold up VERY well and mold to your feet perfectly. They can turn your feet brown if they get wet though. I did forget after purchasing the new ones that they definitely require some breaking in. The first time I wore them I got blisters along the straps. I've worn them probably 5-6 times total now and they are comfortable and not rubbing. I plan to wear them all weekend and think they should be sufficiently broken in by then. I have narrow feet so don't find the straps too tight.

Note: if you wear a size 7.5 to 8 (like me) would recommend the medium. My feet take up almost the whole shoe now, but after time (less than 12 years!) they flatten out and seem longer.

I was very excited to find the double sole Rainbows on Amazon- have looked for several years for a new pair and no shop I could find sells the double sole.
on July 23, 2014
After hearing and reading reviews of Rainbow sandals, I finally bought one for myself! It's originally slick when first worn and over time it will roughen up. It's very comfortable & the arch just cradles the foot. I've worn mine for almost a month (almost on a daily basis at home) and just now has my foot's indention and shape has started to show on the sandals. It's leather so I hear if it gets wet you should be wearing it until it dries to minimize damage. I also have started to notice crease marks from when I bend down on the sandal but it's not reducing the performance of the sandal any.
on March 19, 2013
This size was a "large" which was supposed to mean a 7 or 8 according to the rainbow website. I think its more of an 8 and half and the back has got about a half inch extra which hangs out of the back of the flare of my jeans and isnt cute.
overall I like them though, not worth the trouble of sending back. and dont forget with a rainbow this color there will be a darker color where your feet sit after a couple of wears.