I had purchased the single layer thick strapleather sandal 2 years ago, wore them pretty much every day all summer long (I was allowed to wear them to work), and just now, after 2 years, they started losing their padded support on the pressure points of my feet (heel and ball). They are a very well made sandal and super comfortable.

This time I went ahead and...
Published on June 10, 2011 by CreativeShopper

2.0 out of 5 stars I miss the old Rainbows
I was disappointed that the thong of the flip flop is now nylon. They used to be all leather and fit my feet better. The new Rainbows with the nylon thong do not fit as well on my feel as they feel too loose.
Published 11 months ago by Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flip Flop on the market! Great arch support and nice padded heel makes long walks a breeze., June 10, 2011

This time I went ahead and got the double layer thin strap leather sandal because I want that extra arch support and padding, and I hope they will last longer than 2 years. They had a minimal break in period - the straps were slightly snug and rubbed the inside of my feet a little raw the first time. After that they were fine. I remember when I first bought the thick strap sandals, they were instantly comfortable - - - no break in period.

I love how they quickly mold to your feet, and the footbed is smooth and soft leather. I prefer leather footbeds because they do not hold odors like synthetics do, and leather allows your feet to breathe.

I have taken many long walks in them already, and they are great at shock absorption and have a nice supportive arch.

The one semi-negative thing I can think of to say is that the sizing is difficult. I normally wear a size 7.5-8 in any shoe, but in the Rainbow Sandal sizing chart, I found the Large (7.5-8.5) to be 3/4" too large. I wish I would have ordered the next size down, although I really don't think it has affected the function of the sandal. Only looks slightly too big for my feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best EVER, April 10, 2007
i couldn't understand why a pair of sandals would be so expensive, but now i know. they are the most comfortable pair of sandals i've ever worn and are totally worth the price. broke them in so fast. i wear them ALL the time and i'm about to get another pair in a different color. definitely recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars not as comfy as wide strap, July 29, 2008
I bought the narrow strap rainbows after my original thick strap started to break (after 4 years of constant wear). I've had the narrow strap for about 2 months and they're finally getting broken in after a few blisters. i'll be purchasing another pair of the thicker strap ones, but the narrow look cute as well after you break them in.

4.0 out of 5 stars I THINK I'm going to love them!, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Rainbow Sandals Women's Premier Leather Narrow Strap Double Layer (Misc.)
I was soooo excited to get my first pair of Rainbows. I read the reviews about the break-in process and thought 'how bad can it be?' I am not one to shy away from pain for cute shoes. Blisters, blood, what ever... bring it! HOLY MOLY!!! Breaking them in required a level of discomfort I was not prepared for. The soles were stiff but I broke that by hand. My problem was the straps. Not the general rubbing from new shoes, but the fact that they were so tight they literally cut into the tops of my feet. I don't give up easily so here is what I did.

Day 1--- Wet them with warm water and wear til dry. I continued to wear them 6 hours before I called it a day.

Day 2--- Wear them in the shower and then til dry. Wet them again midday and keep them on.

Day 3 (my feet are making me cranky)--- Wear in shower again, this time I put on socks when I let them dry on my feet. I am totally fed up at this point. Now I get clever... I take them off and wet them in the sink. Then I shove the toe of my converse all-stars into the straps and place on top of my car in the hot August sun. I don't have much to lose since I can't wear them as-is. After a couple of hours in 'time out' I gave them another try. MUCH BETTER!!!

The using something other than my feet to stretch out the shoe was my husband's idea. I wish I had tried it on day 1. I have only had them on a couple of hours since taking them off the top of my car, but I can walk around with ease now and even feel what everyone raves about. I can see myself wearing these every day and loving every moment of it. Hope this helps others with the tight strap problem :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Rainbow Sandals, June 13, 2014
Laura (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love Rainbow sandals! I ended up returning these because I overlooked the fact that they have a stacked sole and I prefer a flat sandal. Like my other Rainbow sandals, these were snug when I tried them on. So long as the length looks and feels right, know that these will stretch out as you break them in. I have a normal width foot and high arches which a makes them extra snug at the beginning, but after a couple wears they will begin to stretch out nicely. Plus the leather footbed gets softer and more smooth over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable, last for years, April 12, 2008
angeliclark (Livermore, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Rainbow sandals are the best. There are a variety of comfortable cushioning with this California origin brand. The first time I wrote the double stack sandals in 2002, I felt as though I was walking in sneakers. Years later, I need to buy new ones because I haven't taken care of the leather, so it is cracked. Otherwise, I'm sure they would have lasted much longer. They take some time to break in, but they are very comfortable. Plus, with many of the casual looks that are popular with the preteen to 20's look such as Abercrombie & Fitch, these sandals compliment the look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainbows are the BEST!, October 23, 2013
The last time I bought a pair of rainbows was 4 years ago! I wore them until the soles at my heels were completely worn down. They form to your feet in about a week of consistent use.
This time I went ahead and put in the extra few bucks to get the double layers, and I'd say they're worth the investment. Incredibly comfortable, and easy to wear with my casual outfits.

I might try the wide straps next time, but the narrow straps are comfortable, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit Big, March 19, 2013
This size was a "large" which was supposed to mean a 7 or 8 according to the rainbow website. I think its more of an 8 and half and the back has got about a half inch extra which hangs out of the back of the flare of my jeans and isnt cute.
overall I like them though, not worth the trouble of sending back. and dont forget with a rainbow this color there will be a darker color where your feet sit after a couple of wears.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, July 14, 2008
I have been a fan of rainbows for many years now, but this is my first pair of "thin strap" flip flops. The break-in process was a bit tougher with this version, compared to the thicker strap variety. It probably took ~12 hours of actively walking around to break in the straps. Once I did they are fantastic! Super comfy and way cuter than the thicker strap option!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, January 23, 2014
I wear a 6.5 so I'm right between a small and medium. If you're also a size 6.5 I would recommend getting the medium unless you have particularly narrow feet. I ordered a small originally and it was way too tight, pinching my feet. My toes were falling off the sides of the sandal. Returned it for a medium, which fit perfectly.

Rainbow Sandals Women's Premier Leather Narrow Strap Double Layer