I had purchased the single layer thick strapleather sandal 2 years ago, wore them pretty much every day all summer long (I was allowed to wear them to work), and just now, after 2 years, they started losing their padded support on the pressure points of my feet (heel and ball). They are a very well made sandal and super comfortable.

This time I went ahead and...
Published on June 10, 2011 by CreativeShopper

2.0 out of 5 stars I miss the old Rainbows
I was disappointed that the thong of the flip flop is now nylon. They used to be all leather and fit my feet better. The new Rainbows with the nylon thong do not fit as well on my feel as they feel too loose.
Published 6 months ago by Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flip Flop on the market! Great arch support and nice padded heel makes long walks a breeze., June 10, 2011

This time I went ahead and got the double layer thin strap leather sandal because I want that extra arch support and padding, and I hope they will last longer than 2 years. They had a minimal break in period - the straps were slightly snug and rubbed the inside of my feet a little raw the first time. After that they were fine. I remember when I first bought the thick strap sandals, they were instantly comfortable - - - no break in period.

I love how they quickly mold to your feet, and the footbed is smooth and soft leather. I prefer leather footbeds because they do not hold odors like synthetics do, and leather allows your feet to breathe.

I have taken many long walks in them already, and they are great at shock absorption and have a nice supportive arch.

The one semi-negative thing I can think of to say is that the sizing is difficult. I normally wear a size 7.5-8 in any shoe, but in the Rainbow Sandal sizing chart, I found the Large (7.5-8.5) to be 3/4" too large. I wish I would have ordered the next size down, although I really don't think it has affected the function of the sandal. Only looks slightly too big for my feet.

4.0 out of 5 stars not as comfy as wide strap, July 29, 2008
I bought the narrow strap rainbows after my original thick strap started to break (after 4 years of constant wear). I've had the narrow strap for about 2 months and they're finally getting broken in after a few blisters. i'll be purchasing another pair of the thicker strap ones, but the narrow look cute as well after you break them in.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best EVER, April 10, 2007
i couldn't understand why a pair of sandals would be so expensive, but now i know. they are the most comfortable pair of sandals i've ever worn and are totally worth the price. broke them in so fast. i wear them ALL the time and i'm about to get another pair in a different color. definitely recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars I THINK I'm going to love them!, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Rainbow Sandals Women's Premier Leather Narrow Strap Double Layer (Apparel)
I was soooo excited to get my first pair of Rainbows. I read the reviews about the break-in process and thought 'how bad can it be?' I am not one to shy away from pain for cute shoes. Blisters, blood, what ever... bring it! HOLY MOLY!!! Breaking them in required a level of discomfort I was not prepared for. The soles were stiff but I broke that by hand. My problem was the straps. Not the general rubbing from new shoes, but the fact that they were so tight they literally cut into the tops of my feet. I don't give up easily so here is what I did.

Day 1--- Wet them with warm water and wear til dry. I continued to wear them 6 hours before I called it a day.

Day 2--- Wear them in the shower and then til dry. Wet them again midday and keep them on.

Day 3 (my feet are making me cranky)--- Wear in shower again, this time I put on socks when I let them dry on my feet. I am totally fed up at this point. Now I get clever... I take them off and wet them in the sink. Then I shove the toe of my converse all-stars into the straps and place on top of my car in the hot August sun. I don't have much to lose since I can't wear them as-is. After a couple of hours in 'time out' I gave them another try. MUCH BETTER!!!

The using something other than my feet to stretch out the shoe was my husband's idea. I wish I had tried it on day 1. I have only had them on a couple of hours since taking them off the top of my car, but I can walk around with ease now and even feel what everyone raves about. I can see myself wearing these every day and loving every moment of it. Hope this helps others with the tight strap problem :)

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Rainbows, December 19, 2013
I love Rainbows, and I love these, but i wish I'd gotten these in single layer. Rainbows are known for being sturdy and practically indestructible, and I have no problem there. But, I already have big feet, and these have really thick soles and fit somewhat large. I still love these, and since I got some cute braided single layer Rainbows, I wear these for more around-the-house casual days. Keep in mind that Rainbows take a few days or so to break in, but once you do, theyre so worth it! THey get better the longer you wear them, and eventually they conform to your foot and become almost like orthotics. Rainbows are pricy, but for a reason: they're basically indestructible, they have a lifetime warranty, and if you live in flip-flops like me, spending 50 or 60 bucks on one pair that will last for years is better than spending 5-10 bucks on one pair that will last a month.

5.0 out of 5 stars LASTS FOREVER...., October 20, 2011
I went through to read the reviews of previous reviewers to get an idea of what their complaints were. So after 15 YEARS (Yes, that is YEARS) of wearing the SAME pair of Rainbow Sandals, I think I can easily comment on usability and staying power of the Rainbow Flip flop!

So this is what I noticed:

Yes, the are made with leather, so if they get wet they will respond accordingly. But at the same time, getting them wet and wearing them while they dry is how you break them in. Once they conform to your foot, these are the most comfortable shoes ever! I am still wearing the same pair from 15 years ago at 8.5 months pregnant because they are the only shoes that provide comfort for my aching back.

As far as customer service, or amazon sellers, I don't have a response as my original purchase was made through a surf shop, so I can't comment. But after 15 years, I can tell you that I intend to buy more in multiple colors because every time I buy flip flops I always come back to my Rainbows, hands down.

MOST DEFINATELY WORTH THE MONEY!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tears up your feet!, June 13, 2014
Madmonkey (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
After reading all the glowing comments about how these are the most comfortable shoes around I purchased a pair. My friend spoke so highly of them I felt I had to have a pair. To test them out, I decide to wear them on a 30 minute walk. By the time I got back, my feet were complete ripped up in every spot where the strap touched. I had an open wound in a v-shape on both feet from between my toes all the way to where the strapped ended on the back of side of my arch. After 2 weeks it's still not completely healed, and in the spots where it is I have huge scar marks.

I don't care if they are the most magical pair once broken in. No shoe is worth that kind of damage.

To make matters worse, I contact the company to ask for their wider strap version given all the damage. All I got back from them was a request for a picture of the bottom and top of shoe. Not sure what good that does. I told them I wore it and the shoes appear to look fine. They just tear your skin to pieces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Rainbow Sandals, June 13, 2014
Laura (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I love Rainbow sandals! I ended up returning these because I overlooked the fact that they have a stacked sole and I prefer a flat sandal. Like my other Rainbow sandals, these were snug when I tried them on. So long as the length looks and feels right, know that these will stretch out as you break them in. I have a normal width foot and high arches which a makes them extra snug at the beginning, but after a couple wears they will begin to stretch out nicely. Plus the leather footbed gets softer and more smooth over time.

2.0 out of 5 stars I miss the old Rainbows, January 2, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainbows are the BEST!, October 23, 2013
The last time I bought a pair of rainbows was 4 years ago! I wore them until the soles at my heels were completely worn down. They form to your feet in about a week of consistent use.
This time I went ahead and put in the extra few bucks to get the double layers, and I'd say they're worth the investment. Incredibly comfortable, and easy to wear with my casual outfits.

I might try the wide straps next time, but the narrow straps are comfortable, too!

Rainbow Sandals Women's Premier Leather Narrow Strap Double Layer