Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Raising Girls
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 7, 2007
As a mother of a girl, I have found great information, perspective, wisdom, and a healthy dose of hope in this warmly written book on raising a girl. I've read many parenting books in recent years and this one offers a few things many don't. First, it gives insight into how well documented stages of development play into a girl's spiritual development - how girls understand and receive God in each developmental stage. This has helped me as a Christian mom understand my daughter's relationship with God better and know how I can encourage her to grow in it.

Secondly, Raising Girls is full of hope and perspective. As parents, we hear plenty about the dangers and pitfalls facing our girls and those are certainly real. These authors seem to be saying, while all that is out there, God is bigger. They point the reader to God and the hope He offers by giving us a new perspective on our day-in-day-out interactions with our daughters. They give a glimpse of how all we are and have and will experience with our girls can work together for a very hopeful future. This has helped me to panic less!

Lastly, it is just fun to read. Reading Raising Girls is like visiting with a great friend who encourages and challenges and tells some really great stories too. It certainly fits the reader who "reads to know they are not alone" -especially when it comes to parenting a daughter of any age! In Raising Girls, you'll find a friend.
on March 8, 2010
A book by Melissa Trevathan and Sissy Goff, this book is the one Amazon recommended to me as a complimentary book to "Wild Things: the Art of Nurturing Boys".
When I started reading this book, I was surprised and glad to see what a Christian focus it took - there was no trying to be sly about Christianity in this book. But, I was dismayed when I read that book authors were older women who were counselors and yet had never been married and never had children. I wondered how I could take their advice seriously, when I would be able to write off everything they said with the old, "Well, they've never lived this out. and they don't know what it's really like outside of the clinical environment." However, I came to repent of that attitude as I realised that they actually had an objective voice (or voices) that I did respect. Moms can tend to view, or skew things in a way that is biased by their own experiences; but these women didn't have that at all.
That being said, I think overall it was a helpful book - but a lot lighter fare than "Wild Things: the Art of Nurturing Boys". Although the authors spoke more about being a Christian parent; they also tended to tell a lot of stories and spend time on what I might call "fluff".
It does go into all the relationships in a girls life: her and her mother, her and her father, her and her siblings, her and her grandparents, etc.. And I think the descriptions of the different developmental stages were pretty accurate. So, the book does get my recommendation - just be aware that there is some "fluff" and that the authors are not parents.
on September 26, 2007
This is a very thoughtful look at the problems and joys of raising girls. The authors are clearly very knowledgable and committed to helping girls to grow up to be who they were meant to be, secure in God's love and their place in the great scheme of things! I love the way they use case histories & stories to teach. As a mother of 3 girls, I found this book very straightforward in dealing with the issues that young girls and adolescents face, but also helpful and encouraging.
on August 19, 2014
Although I am still in the middle of reading it-- this book is fantastic!!! I am going through some tough stages with my daughter right now and this book is full of insight. The wisdom and love shown through this book has helped me as a mother better understand my daughters relationship with her Heavenly father, as well as how I can help foster it as her earthly mother.

As I saw in another review someone negatively pointed out that they were not mothers or wives themselves, show how would they know anything about it??? Well, I am a personal testament to these two ladies teachings... Sissy was my counselor as an adolescent, and I am here to tell you she knows her stuff... While these two ladies are not mothers, they interact with girls on a daily basis-- they have gone on journeys with girls and have worked closely with them for years...

Well worth the time, money, and read!!!!
on June 18, 2014
This book not only takes you on a journey of understanding your daughter as she grows up, but also helps us moms understand our own childhood! There are specific (very helpful) sections for dads, as well. Great help as your daughter changes throughout the years!
on September 12, 2008
This book has nice insights on raising girls. I would have liked to have a little more discussion on the ages and stages, though. The chapters are a little short and I found myself wanting a little more...
on January 10, 2015
This book is great - one that I will refer to many times as my daughter goes through different stages. I appreciate the practical advice and encouragement from the authors.
on July 1, 2013
I recommend this book to all parents of daughters, especially moms, and also to anyone with a young girl in their life. Eye-opening and such an encouragement.
on December 25, 2012
I'm not done with the book but I recommend it to anyone who is raising girls. I have a 6yo and a 3yo.
on June 4, 2013
Easy book to read and understand - I like the case studies so you can relate the cases to real life.