Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$19.99

VINE VOICEon April 19, 2012
It's a wonder that "Raising Hope" doesn't get the accolades like their peers. In my opinion, Greg Garcia who also produced and developed "My Name Is Earl" does a better job in bringing this dysfunctional family to life with an awesome cast like Martha Plimpton as Grandma Virginia; her husband Burt Chance; their son, Jim Chance; and of course, Granddaughter Hope.

I can't forget Cloris Leachman who deserves her 10th Emmy for her performance as the senile Great Grandma Barbara June better known as Ma-Ma to the audience. The actress who plays Jim's love interest, Sabrina, is also wonderful as is the rest of the cast of colorful, oddball characters.

Second season is better than first season and after watching the season finale, you're in for a roller coaster of laughs over the second season. The Chances aren't wealthy or highly educated but that's okay. They're lovable, politically incorrect at times, and just more real to the audience.

Look, I think the cast and crew deserve recognition like Emmy Awards; Golden Globes, etc. In the past, blue collar comedies don't fare well and this comedy is definitely blue collar, maybe black and dark comedy because Hope is the daughter of a serial killer Lucy Carlyle.

Anyway, the Thanksgiving episode featured Lee Majors and Shirley Jones as Burt's parents. The Valentine's Day episode of Sabrina and Jimmy getting together should be considered a classic.

You can't miss Cloris Leachman who is deliriously lovable as the senile great grandma.

Of course, the great Amy Sedaris guest appears as Virginia's stuck-up cousin and invites them to her wedding in Las Vegas. But it's Virginia who gets the last laugh.

Then there is the two part season finale with Nancy Grace which is worth watching for the laughs and surprises.

Yes, I relate to the characters here who are odder than most but what fun to watch and look forward too every Tuesday night on Fox. You can't help but laugh and enjoy America's favorite dysfunctional family like the Chances!
88 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2012
I know they just "burn" the show onto DVDs for you now when you order it, but couldn't they at least have sprung for a subtitle option? No subtitles or CC available makes this worse than saving it on your DVR where you can at least CC. Even if you stream them you can usually turn on the subtitles so why not find a way to include them? Add to that poor picture quality and a shrunken DVD case insert and this is a cheapo DVD output given a price that's higher than I paid for the subtitled, special-featured put-out-by-the-studio Season 1 set I bought. Two stars just because I'm happy to at least have the season on DVD...
on January 3, 2013
My son loves this show. He has season 1 and I got him season 2 for Christmas. My son is hard of hearing and there is NO closed caption available on these disc. Season 1 did have it. It would be helpful if that information is mentioned in the DVD description and information you show.
on January 18, 2013
Quality is good, but no special features, alternate audio or commentary. This is the only option to purchase the second season of Raising Hope out there (as fox has not released it), but the item description should have stated that it is not an official fox product. It is a burned version of the HD episodes available on Amazon, and is on purple burnable dvds, not the higher quality silver permanent DVDs.
on December 25, 2012
I purchased this DVD as a Christmas present for my wife. She opened it and loved it because shes a big fan of the show. She went to play disc 1 and it wouldnt play. She tried disc 2, then three, and none would work. Tried the discs in another player and they worked. Then another, and they didnt. Well, this is where it gets a little upsetting. The two players the discs didnt work in dont play recorded DVDs, only retail DVDs (they are older). Well after looking at the discs it appears that they are not true retail DVDs. What does this mean? Grab any retail DVD. The bottom (the side that is read) is silver. These are purple. Just like the off the shelf DVDs you can buy to record your own DVDs on a computer. Maybe the discs were made by Fox like this, but I have NEVER seen a retail DVD made like that. On top of that, all three discs were scratched. The first two had minor but noticeable scratches, but disc 3 was just horrible.

I can not tell you how upsetting this is. Maybe this is the reason I cant find this DVD anywhere else but Amazon. Never had a bad experience with an amazon order until this one. Its too bad because now I will have to think twice about ordering any DVDs from Amazon.

So, although the series is great, I have to say you may want to think twice about purchasing this dvd.
on January 4, 2013
I have ordered MOD sets in the past and they have been just fine. This set arrived in the cheapest 3 disc case I have ever seen! The smell is overwhelming, the plastic is rough and the hold down clips are flimsy! The first set came with one of the discs loose in the case and rattling around inside it during shipping causing a circular scratch on it. When trying to play the disc, it would lock up in all 3 of my players. I sent the set back for a replacement. When the second set arrived, the flapper tray had broken loose inside the case. The disc was still attached to it so it should play OK, But, that means unless I want to take a chance on another replacement set, I will have to purchase a 3 disc case myself. I have tried to purchase the good cases that the studios seem to have an exclusive on and I can't. So, even though I won't be able to get a good case to put it in, I can at least put the set in a case that will stay together and not smell up the place! I am very disappointed in 20th Century Fox. Such a respected studio and they are starting to use these cheap cases! With prices we pay for these DVDs, they should use decent cases (like they did in the past) for their customers!
on November 8, 2015
Love this show, can be cheasy at times, but it's very cute, funny, and great for the whole family. I watch everything from Family Guy, to Modern family, to American Horror story to criminal minds, so I like a lot of different types of shows and I definitely recommend this one.
on June 12, 2012
This is just a sneak peek @ season 2, so don't expect a full episode, but it does do a nice job of getting you psyched up for another round of fun with the Chance family. I really love this series!

Note to Amazon: This series is one of the very few that if you added it to the "free for AmazonPrime members" list, I'd finally take the plunge and buy the prime membership! Please consider adding it.
on May 27, 2013
Raising Hope is what we all hope our family is not like, and yet there are certain aspects of this family dynamic that are in ALL families. I never laughed so hard and I think the parts I laughed the hardest are the parts that reminded me of my family. It makes one stop and think. But then again despite all the craziness here is a family that is bonded and loving. We can learn from them. Love, loyalty, togetherness. They're nutty, but wonderful. Great series.
on June 17, 2013
Great show and the dvd arrived fast.... only complaint would be that my particular dvd case is a pain in the butt to close... First World Problems, lol. Other than that, this is one of those shows that just keeps getting better to me! Great writing and my kind of humor.... gotta love Burt ;)