5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Family Sitcom on Television Period!
It's a wonder that "Raising Hope" doesn't get the accolades like their peers. In my opinion, Greg Garcia who also produced and developed "My Name Is Earl" does a better job in bringing this dysfunctional family to life with an awesome cast like Martha Plimpton as Grandma Virginia; her husband Burt Chance; their son, Jim Chance; and of course, Granddaughter Hope...
Published on April 19, 2012 by Sylviastel

2.0 out of 5 stars 5-Star Show gets 2-Star DVD Treatment
Published 23 months ago by ceb7369

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Family Sitcom on Television Period!, April 19, 2012

I can't forget Cloris Leachman who deserves her 10th Emmy for her performance as the senile Great Grandma Barbara June better known as Ma-Ma to the audience. The actress who plays Jim's love interest, Sabrina, is also wonderful as is the rest of the cast of colorful, oddball characters.

Second season is better than first season and after watching the season finale, you're in for a roller coaster of laughs over the second season. The Chances aren't wealthy or highly educated but that's okay. They're lovable, politically incorrect at times, and just more real to the audience.

Look, I think the cast and crew deserve recognition like Emmy Awards; Golden Globes, etc. In the past, blue collar comedies don't fare well and this comedy is definitely blue collar, maybe black and dark comedy because Hope is the daughter of a serial killer Lucy Carlyle.

Anyway, the Thanksgiving episode featured Lee Majors and Shirley Jones as Burt's parents. The Valentine's Day episode of Sabrina and Jimmy getting together should be considered a classic.

You can't miss Cloris Leachman who is deliriously lovable as the senile great grandma.

Of course, the great Amy Sedaris guest appears as Virginia's stuck-up cousin and invites them to her wedding in Las Vegas. But it's Virginia who gets the last laugh.

Then there is the two part season finale with Nancy Grace which is worth watching for the laughs and surprises.

Yes, I relate to the characters here who are odder than most but what fun to watch and look forward too every Tuesday night on Fox. You can't help but laugh and enjoy America's favorite dysfunctional family like the Chances!

2.0 out of 5 stars 5-Star Show gets 2-Star DVD Treatment, December 24, 2012
ceb7369 (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raising Hope - Season 2 (DVD)
I know they just "burn" the show onto DVDs for you now when you order it, but couldn't they at least have sprung for a subtitle option? No subtitles or CC available makes this worse than saving it on your DVR where you can at least CC. Even if you stream them you can usually turn on the subtitles so why not find a way to include them? Add to that poor picture quality and a shrunken DVD case insert and this is a cheapo DVD output given a price that's higher than I paid for the subtitled, special-featured put-out-by-the-studio Season 1 set I bought. Two stars just because I'm happy to at least have the season on DVD...

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising Hope, Season 2, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Raising Hope - Season 2 (DVD)
My son loves this show. He has season 1 and I got him season 2 for Christmas. My son is hard of hearing and there is NO closed caption available on these disc. Season 1 did have it. It would be helpful if that information is mentioned in the DVD description and information you show.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the show, but so disappointed with DVD, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Raising Hope - Season 2 (DVD)
I purchased this DVD as a Christmas present for my wife. She opened it and loved it because shes a big fan of the show. She went to play disc 1 and it wouldnt play. She tried disc 2, then three, and none would work. Tried the discs in another player and they worked. Then another, and they didnt. Well, this is where it gets a little upsetting. The two players the discs didnt work in dont play recorded DVDs, only retail DVDs (they are older). Well after looking at the discs it appears that they are not true retail DVDs. What does this mean? Grab any retail DVD. The bottom (the side that is read) is silver. These are purple. Just like the off the shelf DVDs you can buy to record your own DVDs on a computer. Maybe the discs were made by Fox like this, but I have NEVER seen a retail DVD made like that. On top of that, all three discs were scratched. The first two had minor but noticeable scratches, but disc 3 was just horrible.

I can not tell you how upsetting this is. Maybe this is the reason I cant find this DVD anywhere else but Amazon. Never had a bad experience with an amazon order until this one. Its too bad because now I will have to think twice about ordering any DVDs from Amazon.

So, although the series is great, I have to say you may want to think twice about purchasing this dvd.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good set, but not a real retail FOX product, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Raising Hope - Season 2 (DVD)
Quality is good, but no special features, alternate audio or commentary. This is the only option to purchase the second season of Raising Hope out there (as fox has not released it), but the item description should have stated that it is not an official fox product. It is a burned version of the HD episodes available on Amazon, and is on purple burnable dvds, not the higher quality silver permanent DVDs.

1.0 out of 5 stars CD freezes, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Raising Hope - Season 2 (DVD)
For $31.49 I feel like I was ripped off. Love the show but, CD freezes, and one show froze, unfroze, froze, then went blank, then jumped to new show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Raising Hope Season 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
I love Martha Plimpton so I'll watch anything with her in it. She does a fabulous job in the show as does the supporting cast. Super cute and addictive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap case damages Discs, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Raising Hope - Season 2 (DVD)
I have ordered MOD sets in the past and they have been just fine. This set arrived in the cheapest 3 disc case I have ever seen! The smell is overwhelming, the plastic is rough and the hold down clips are flimsy! The first set came with one of the discs loose in the case and rattling around inside it during shipping causing a circular scratch on it. When trying to play the disc, it would lock up in all 3 of my players. I sent the set back for a replacement. When the second set arrived, the flapper tray had broken loose inside the case. The disc was still attached to it so it should play OK, But, that means unless I want to take a chance on another replacement set, I will have to purchase a 3 disc case myself. I have tried to purchase the good cases that the studios seem to have an exclusive on and I can't. So, even though I won't be able to get a good case to put it in, I can at least put the set in a case that will stay together and not smell up the place! I am very disappointed in 20th Century Fox. Such a respected studio and they are starting to use these cheap cases! With prices we pay for these DVDs, they should use decent cases (like they did in the past) for their customers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, November 6, 2012
This is a great show. Love all the characters. I would recommend this show to any-one that wants to laugh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a preview but ... Great Show!, June 12, 2012
I'm Just Sayin' "A Lit Lover" (Beautiful New England, USA) - See all my reviews
This is just a sneak peek @ season 2, so don't expect a full episode, but it does do a nice job of getting you psyched up for another round of fun with the Chance family. I really love this series!

Note to Amazon: This series is one of the very few that if you added it to the "free for AmazonPrime members" list, I'd finally take the plunge and buy the prime membership! Please consider adding it.