5.0 out of 5 stars A Book With Real Immediate Results
If only every parent could have this book. I could not put it down. I applied what I read and noticed immediate results. I get a lot of comments on how polite my three year old is. This book taught me realistic ways to teach my child respect and it has made my life so much more enjoyable.
Published on November 3, 2006 by jenica

3.0 out of 5 stars Just started reading
I just started reading the book. It gives good advice, but it is very much common sence. So far I am already doing everything they are suggesting. I am still hoping to get some new ideas from the book. I think the types of parents who need this book probably won't be reading it.
Published on August 11, 2008 by J. Rudnick

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book With Real Immediate Results, November 3, 2006
jenica (Roseville, US, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Seasoned Advice for Every Parent, November 18, 2006
Across the country with her Manners of the Heart program, Jill Rigby has taught and lived the lessons in RAISING RESPECTFUL CHILDREN IN A DISRESPECTFUL WORLD. This book is a powerful mixture of personal stories, careful research and applicable information for parents. The basic principles in this book such as Coach: Don't Cheerlead; Set Boundaries without Building Walls; Use Discipline, Not Punishment; Engage, Don't Entertain; Teach Gratefulness, Not Greediness; and Listen to the Children are solid. Each chapter includes a "Reality Check" for the reader to apply the teaching to their own family.

I expect parents will read and re-read this book because it's loaded with valuable insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and practical, June 13, 2008
Dena Dyer (Amarillo, Texas) - See all my reviews
I loved this book! I agree with the reviewer who said that Rigby's chapter about self-esteem versus self-respect was worth the price of the book. It's something I never thought of before. In fact, the entire book made me think, pray, and reconsider some of the ways I'd been parenting (or non-parenting). The author is a Christian, and she's not afraid to let her faith inform her message. So, yes, she might offend people. But I admire her for her strong faith and her practical, personal and politically incorrect(!) advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL BOOK!, October 18, 2006
Saundra S. Lane (Baton Rouge, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
I read this book in one sitting and have constantly referred to pages I have earmarked for guidance.It is practical and helps parents be better parents and the end result is better children. We all have seen how disrespectful the majority of kids are today and with Ms. Rigby's book, I think we can all benefit from this and help our kids become responsible, delightful adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disrespectful reviewers, May 24, 2007
Some of the reviewers you will see here appear to be more concerned with telling the author how she should have written the book than rating its content. These reviewers typify the kinds of people who make up this selfish, self centered, and disrespectful world in which we live.

Over 70% of the people who viewed this web page describing the book purchased it. It gets an overwhelmingly positive rating by those who have read it for its content. My belief is that Ms. Rigby has helped me understand how our children are unhappy in this world, it's very apparent too. Just go to the "mall" some weekend; you will see the rotting demoralization of our youth. She clearly points out the reasons and suggests methods to help our children.

Since I have read this book and put into practice her suggestions - I have a happy and respectful child. It did not happen overnight, nor does she claim the methods will instantly change your child; it takes work, love, and patience.

What this book has taught me is how we should all treat each other; the golden rule - to treat others as you want to be treated. Disrespect at any level should not be tolerated and it all starts with you, yes you.

I'm buying copies for my friends with whom I've discussed this book. By the way, some are Jewish and one is Buddhist. They can't wait to get their hands on it and start practicing the methods that have been successful no matter the religion.

Love and tolerance should be our code. It should be our children's code. With God's help it will. Great Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, March 4, 2008
This book hits the nail right on the head. We as a society have strayed from core values that this country was founded upon. Ms. Rigby encourages us to raise our children with self discipline and self respect. Following the principles in this book will raise our children to be responsible adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenged by this book, February 5, 2012
You will be challenged by this book. I would would recommend to any parent.
I have a 4 year old and I am already seeing results.
The thing that has stuck with me the most from this book is Jill saying "Be the person you want your kid to be". I'm sure trying!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reinforcement for Proper Parenting, November 16, 2007
There's nothing groundbreaking in "Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World", but the author does an excellent job of providing encouragement & reinforcement for good parenting. Ms. Rigby understands how hard it can be for parents to say "no" to toxic pop culture, permissiveness, selfishness, greed, false praise, perfectionism, etc. She reminds us of the damage these things can inflict on our children and provides helpful suggestions for countering them.

Ms. Rigby does include a lot of references to God and the Bible, but most of them were not Christian-specific. The majority of the quotes came from the Old Testament and the ones from the New Testament dealt with Jesus' teachings rather than his role as Savior. So I could see why a Jew like Dr. Laura would not have a big problem with this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just started reading, August 11, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Steps to peace, joy, and love in every home., October 18, 2006
Raising Respectful Children becomes more of a challenge each day as we the Baby Boomers have raised a generation of children without a high moral standard or appropriate social skills. Jill Rigby's book has given us the opportunity to make a difference in children today by providing a well developed manual to teach respect. There is an extra benefit to her work in that as adults we can all benefit personally when we apply the lessons in our own lives. I'm giving this book to all of my friends with young children and grandparents.

Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World
Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World by Jill M. Rigby (Paperback - August 6, 2013)
$15.99 $14.39