5.0 out of 5 stars At last, help for the FAMILY!
Published on September 2, 2008 by Faith Gilstrap

1.0 out of 5 stars None
Wondering if the author ever took writing in school . Pretty sure sentences should start with uppercase letters and when referring to yourself , I should also be an uppercase letter . Very poorly written .
Published 15 months ago by C. Cryder

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, help for the FAMILY!, September 2, 2008
This review is from: Raising Troubled Kids: Help for Parents of Children With Mental Illness or Emotional Disorders (Paperback)
I read "Raising Troubled Kids" and hated to have to put it down to tend to my troubled kids! Margaret has great insight into how it feels to be the parent/guardian of kids who don't fit into the general population. As I read I would think "YES! - that's exactly what it's like". I especially found it comforting to know that there are many of us out there facing these same issues, and that my family and I aren't alone on this journey.

Margaret gives good basic advice on how to make home-life better for all involved, great down-to-earth ideas, not pie-in-the-sky theories that are nearly impossible to implement in the real world. I, too, enjoyed the stories and anecdotes that so clearly reflect the real life experiences of living with mental illness.

I am recommending this book to others who are raising troubled kids, but I'm also recommending it to friends and family to give them some insight into our day-to-day struggles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help comes from Inside and Outside for Families with Troubled Kids, August 20, 2008
In "Raising Troubled Kids" Margaret Puckette, outlines a sound methodology for parents (or family members) to consider about their situation and to take the next step towards peace within a family unit. I think the greatest thing about this book is the wide array of situational examples Puckette provides her readers to help them to metabolize their feelings about their child's mental illness. For me, it was easier to accept my own family member's mental illness, when I could clearly read other families stories similar to mine and know that I'm not the only one with these experiences.

Puckette's book gives parent's a clearer picture of the most important necessities to cover in order to live comfortably a mentally ill child. As someone who's experienced a family member become seriously mentally ill, "Raising Troubled Kids" gives a lot of examples and tools for me to use when stressful situations occur at our home. I haven't found other reading that deals with "living" with mentally ill people versus trying to "cure" mentally ill people. As such, I feel that "Raising Troubled Kids" lays out very sensible and realistic goals.

Within the book, there is a lot of praise for parent's who are trying their best, it's clear that Puckette really wants to empower parent's to persevere. There is a large section of the book devoted to what a parent can do to strengthen their support network and help themselves as well as their kid.

If their is a child or sibling in your family that is growing up with mental illness, "Raising Troubled Kids" is a great source for inspiration and even a little lightheartedness to such a challenging topic. I enjoyed it and found it a fast and easy-to-follow read. No doubt, I will be referring to it later for problem solving tactics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Troubled Kids - a great resource for parents, October 1, 2008
As a family physician, I see many children with behavioral and emotional issues such as ADHD, bipolar disorder, conduct disorder, or more complex cases with psychoses. When they access the medical system, they receive medication. But this is not enough. Parents need help negotiating the tough day to day issues of raising their troubled kids. I now prescribe Ms. Puckette's book to these families to help them establish discipline and house rules, to assure safety for the child, and to learn coping strategies for themselves and the rest of the family. Ms. Puckette provides the parent a clear, concise, step by step approach that is not overwhelming to read. I salute Ms. Puckette for her commitment to helping these parents and look forward to more of her wisdom in future books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help, December 26, 2013
My grandson has been diagnosed with an emotional disorder and I am always looking for help in handling and understanding him. This book had a lot of information that I found very useful in understanding him and why I could no get him to respond or "get better". His schoolwork has been a real struggle and it helped me understand how very much structure helps him and how he lives in the moment, unable to truly understand future consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Practical Help, April 12, 2011
Being a parent of a child with severe mental illness - the disorder(s) largely now under control after 2 years of hospitalization and residential treatment, intensive outpatient treatment, countless hours of therapy, special education battles, medication experimentation, insurance battles, etc., etc. -- I can't tell you how spot-on this book is. Very Highly recommended for anyone with a "troubled" kid. Thank you, Ms.Puckette!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Troubled Kids -- A Must-Have Guide!, February 12, 2013
As a grandparent who helps her daughter co-parent, I was as lost and concerned as she when her teen-age son was diagnosed with autism. While the diagnosis put a label on out of control behaviors, we found little direction in coping. The mental health system offered inadequate assistance; the educational system presented roadblocks; my grandson's behavior was irrational.

Raising a troubled child or children is truly akin to navigating foreign lands. Without a solid guidebook, it is difficult to find your way. Once we read this book, we had a guide! Sorting through the behaviors, deciphering the educational maze and determining where and how to go for help are indeed worse than trying to explore the most foreign of foreign lands. At least when you're there, common sense and instinct help out. Unfortunately, much more is needed to raise a troubled child. This book provides it better than anything else I have found. For me, it was and remains a lifeline!

A Grateful Grandmother

5.0 out of 5 stars You Are Not Alone!, January 23, 2011
As a parent of two children battling mental illness, I embraced this book as a fantastic tool for navigating this rocky, uncharted terrain. The biggest challenge for me, personally, has been the feelings of isolation, that no one could ever understand what I as a parent go through on a day-to-day basis. Margaret Puckette DOES. This book reads as a thoughtful, practical manual, chock full of anecdotes and insights from Margaret and others who are also surviving this journey. I keep this book by my bedside and refer to it frequently, for comfort, tools, and insight. A valuable resource!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Help for a difficult journey, February 28, 2010
As a parent of a "troubled child" I found this book very insightful. It gave and continues to give me hope along this difficult journey I am taking in raising a child that has not yet been diagnosed but displays extreme behavioral problems. Anyone who has a child, a family member or even a friend that is going through this struggle could benefit from reading this book. I feel that the more people that are aware of the problems families with troubled children face, the more helpful we can all be of each other and therefore lighten the burden on many struggling families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope for a difficult journey, September 15, 2008
As both the parent of a teenager with a mood disorder and a professional working with other "troubled kids", I wholeheartedly endorse this beautifully written and theoretically sound book. Parents of mentally ill children are often misunderstood, maligned, and misjudged. Ms. Puckette provides practical advice, encouragement and realistic, yet hopeful glimpses into the lives of those of us who walk this difficult path. In addition to owning a copy for my personal bookshelf, I am planning to buy multiple editions to use in my clinical practice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 18, 2014
An easy read and very helpful. I plan to share it!

$14.99 $12.54
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.