5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to raising vegetarian and vegan kids
Published on May 26, 2003 by Melanie

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be called "Raising VEGAN Children"
Published on April 26, 2006 by Julia Anderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to raising vegetarian and vegan kids, May 26, 2003
Melanie "mongoliamel" (Cass Lake, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raising Vegetarian Children : A Guide to Good Health and Family Harmony (Paperback)
Joanne Stepaniak and Vesanto Melina have created a much needed resource to serve parents and families, caregivers, and medical practitioners alike. After a thorough introduction discussing all aspects of vegetarian food and life choices (emotional, community, and psychological), the authors give a sound nutritional introduction. They then offer advice chronologically, beginning with nutrition for breastfeeding moms and continuing through introducing solids and feeding picky teens. The authors take a very down-to-earth approach, offering advice for parents of kids who are feeling alienated, or who want to eat meat away from home.

Each stage of life has different nutritional concerns. Stepaniak and Melina address the stages with age-specific menu plans using recipes from Part 3 of the book. The authors begin Part 3 by giving some helpful cooking recommendations for new or aspiring "healthy" cooks. There are many easy-to-prepare, kid-friendly recipes, replicating non-vegetarian favorites. Not all recipes have a 100% whole foods approach, and some include ingredients like "veggie dogs" or "veggie meats." The recipes range from beverages and breakfasts to snacks and entrees. All of the recipes include nutritional information, even the desserts. The book also has a very well organized index that makes it easy to pick up and find a piece of useful information. Raising Vegetarian Children ends with a large resource guide and bibliography, so those who want to dig deeper also know where to go.-- Reviewed by Amy O'Neill Houck

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarian Bible, February 18, 2003
Mimi G. Clark (Vegan Cooking Instructor, Fairfax Station, VA) - See all my reviews
Raising Vegetarian Children, A Guide to Good Health and Family Harmony, by Joanne Stepaniak and Vesanto Melina, is a comprehensive guidebook that provides a practical plan for making sure your child's diet is nutritionally adequate. The first two hundred pages are devoted to the basics: ethics, family and relatives, being different, eating out; Vegetarian Nutrition 101 addresses the Total Vegetarian Food Guide, which is a vegetarian's answer to the tired meat and dairy-laden food pyramid. Nutritional needs for all age groups from birth to teens are addressed in precise detail, from nursing moms, supplements, picky eaters, and finger foods, to "the unique needs of teens," including nutrition for athletes, healthy skin, body image and eating disorders. Over one hundred pages are devoted to kid-friendly recipes such as Fabulous French Toast, Cheez-A-Roni, Crispy Tofu Fingers, French Bread Pizza, Fajitas, Tacos, Oven Fries, German Chocolate Cake, Fruit Popsoycles, over 20 sandwich spreads/fillings, and my 13-year old vegan daughter's favorite, The Very Best Chocolate Chip Cookies. The vegetarian community has long awaited this primer, and like all other books by Stepaniak and Melina, this one does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use it every day!, July 7, 2004
Fred's Mom (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
As a vegan, and a mom, it's important to me to pay careful attention to my children's nutritional needs. This book is FULL of great information and meal ideas. I have learned TONS from reading it, and it has earned a place on my kitchen counter! :c)
A must-have for all vegetarian parents or parents of vegetarian kiddos.
P.S. You MUST try the FlaxJacks- they are to *die* for! :c)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great book for anyone who is raising a veg kid, whether having just begun or long time vegetarians., August 30, 2006
I am really impressed with the thoughtful ways that the authors have addressed raising vegetarian children in our culture. I am familiar with other books by both authors and so I surmised that the book would be about a pure vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, though those who include dairy and eggs in their diet will absolutely benefit from reading this book (nor is there any preachy tone about different choices). The authors have done a great job of helping find ways (some creative, some straightforward) to deal with family concern/conflict over diet and there is extensive nutritional information which is laid out in a readily comprehensible manner. The recipes are great- I hadn't expected so many recipes to be included with this book and I am grateful that they have been. My son and partner have loved everything we've prepared from this book! (Try the Tri-Color Quinoa Corn Salad!!) Growth charts...advice for ages infant to teen...comprehensive information on every page-- all written in a friendly and intelligent way. I highly recommend this book as an excellent resource for families raising vegetarian or vegan children of any age.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be called "Raising VEGAN Children", April 26, 2006
I was very disappointed in this book b/c it really is written for vegan children, not ovo-lacto vegetarians. So to me, this book was pretty useless. The concentration was on how to get the needed nutrition without meat or dairy. It is much easier to get what you need on an ovo-lacto diet, but there was really almost NO info on this in the book. I feel that the book description and reviews have been very misleading.

In any case, if you are vegan, this book would be great for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for parents of veg kids., December 29, 2009
jbp (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I am not a parent, and I am not raising children, let alone vegetarian or vegan children. But I am a vegan. And I have 5 nieces and nephews, all under the age of 5 who are open, curious, love animals dearly, and foster an innocent and inherent sense of compassion and empathy. They are all being raised to love the dog and cat, to sing old mcdonald had a farm, and to consume meat and dairy daily. When the oldest nephew was at a farm with me, visiting with the animals he asked me what a one of the animals was - when I told him it was a chicken, his face got all puckered and confused, and he said in a rather tortured dismayed confusion, "chicken nuggets." That's when I knew I needed help! Kids have an inherent kindness and compassion within them, whether they are being raised in a veg lifestyle or not. And kids are curious and smart... smarter than we give them credit for. Whether you have children or not, you need to be prepared to deal gently with their innocence without lying or turning a conveniently blind eye to the truth, (and without getting into deep trouble with their parents)! This book lends perspective that can be useful in dealing with those types of situations. As the vegan auntie of 5 smart, inquisitive, animal loving, carnivorous children, I needed perspective!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great vegan resource, September 11, 2008
Sibel (Portland,OR) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful resource for strictly vegetarian families or families with vegan children. This book is very informative and even has great vegan recipes to offer. However,I should agree with users who suggest that the title of this book should rather be "Raising vegan children". The item arrived very fast and in superb condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, December 9, 2009
Vegan Mom (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
We are vegan and we're raising our kids vegan (until they decide to do differently). This was an invaluable resource to us as our oldest got to the age where she was attending parties and going to school and in situations where we had to prepare her to respond or plan for. It helped us to learn ways to navigate through the non-vegan world with grace and respect for the non-vegans around us.

It was also our bible for any nutritional information that would help us feel confident that we were meeting our children's nutritional needs in every way without compromising our values.

I've read other 'parent resources' for raising vegetarian or vegan children. They all came across very preachy and holier-than-though. I'm not a militant vegan - if you want to order a steak, I'm not going to belittle you and it doesn't offend me - so that tone was very off-putting to me. The decision to become vegan and to raise my children that way was ours and ours alone. No one else should be made to carry a burden as a result.

I would highly recommend this book to any vegetarian parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Vegetarian Children : A Guide to Good Health and Family Harmony, January 19, 2007
This is really wonderfull book for all caring parents and a really helpfull guide to rising a compasonate, responsible and happy little people from their birth on, as well as perfect gift and reading for all people who are involved with children, no metter if they are vegetatian or not.

If you are vegan or vegetarian parents (or just think about becoming one) this book will also give you valuable advices on how to manage (respectfully) with realatives and friends who are not vegetarians/vegans.

This book is my favorite on this subject!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, much needed resource!, May 3, 2003
Melanie "mongoliamel" (Cass Lake, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
Each stage of life has different nutritional concerns. Stepaniak and Melina address the stages with age-specific menu plans using recipes from Part 3 of the book. The authors begin Part 3 by giving some helpful cooking recommendations for new or aspiring �healthy� cooks. There are many easy-to-prepare, kid-friendly recipes, replicating non-vegetarian favorites. Not all recipes have a 100% whole foods approach, and some include ingredients like "veggie dogs" or "veggie meats." The recipes range from beverages and breakfasts to snacks and entrees. All of the recipes include nutritional information, even the desserts. The book also has a very well organized index that makes it easy to pick up and find a piece of useful information. Raising Vegetarian Children ends with a large resource guide and bibliography, so those who want to dig deeper also know where to go.--Reviewed by Amy O'Neill Houck

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Raising Vegetarian Children : A Guide to Good Health and Family Harmony
Raising Vegetarian Children : A Guide to Good Health and Family Harmony by Joanne Stepaniak (Paperback - September 25, 2002)
$19.95 $15.53