Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon June 2, 2007
I have trained two dogs with their methods and owned the book since the original version, but this beautiful, well made, production really makes it easy to understand exactly what you are supposed to be doing with your dog. The dog training part is set up in easy chapters that you can replay and focus on, if necessary.

It is a nice production with peaceful and beautiful landscapes and relaxing music that make it a really gentle and peaceful DVD to watch with any dog lover, as it really emphasizes the companionship that is the very essence of all that we love of dogs.
on August 10, 2008
This is a nice DVD to watch for the scenery, music, philosophy of the monds, etc. Only the 2nd part of the 2nd DVD covers actual dog training in some detail. I personally love German Shepherds and there are a lot of them in this DVD and this is the ONLY reason I don't regret buying this DVD.
If you want a detailed and practical "how to" DVD then purchase: Your Puppy 8 weeks to 8 Months. I hope this helps anyone.
55 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2013
The monks have incredible insight into how to train your dog. Nothing about this review should discourage the reader from purchasing their other works. This review is about the circumstances of how the video was produced, not the quality of its content.

According to this Amazon listing, the video supposedly sold over 1mm copies. Allegedly, the producer (Atmosphere Entertainment) claimed that the DVD was "not profitable" and so refused to pay the monks for their work. Search for "Atmosphere Entertainment New Skete lawsuit" on Google and you'll see the controversy. The monks apparently sued Atmosphere Entertainment though the only case I was able to find seems like that their case might have rejected because the damages were too high for the court's jurisdiction (I am not a lawyer). It's also worth noting that the monks themselves do not sell the DVD on their website, which seems to further support this. If this is true, I think it's unethical to buy this DVD since it would exploit quality, loving folks.

All that said, the monk's books on training and raising dogs ("How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners (Revised & Updated Edition)" and "The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition)") are absolutely excellent and well worth reading. My uncle adopted a German Shepherd from the monks many years ago and I still consider the pair to have the strongest bond between man and dog I have ever seen. I have recently adopted a pitbull from the shelter and we are training her primarily with the monk's philosophy and methodologies.
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2007
I have read the monk's books until they are dog eared (pun intended), and this DVD is a great extension to the books. The visual examples are most helpful - being able to watch the monks train in action! I understand that the monks of New Skete do not receive any revenue from this DVD, which I think is a shame, but I still recommend it as a supplement to their books.
on April 26, 2010
I read The Monks of New Skete, The Art of Raising a Puppy and let me say I think that book was amazing, thorough, was the best of the half dozen puppy books I've read. But about this video, I feel this video doesn't add any additional training info that wasn't already in the book. There are 2 DVDs, the first one is essentially about the Monk's philosophical approach to raising dogs. The second DVD continues this philosophy and then finally, finally in the very last section there is some actual training demonstrations that lasts about 20 minutes. But is is the SAME training material that is covered in the book as well.

I gave the video 4 stars because if you haven't read The Monks of New Skete, The Art of Raising a Puppy book, getting this DVD is a good idea. If you've read the book, my advice is to skip this DVD.
on July 6, 2010
The Monks of New Skete have some very well writen BOOKS with really good information. I highly recommend their books. The video or CD "Raising Your Dog" by "The Monks of New Skete" was done by "Atmosphere Entertainment", NOT by "The Monks of New Skete". THE MONKS DO NOT MAKE A PENNY ON THIS VIDEO. ALL money goes to Atmosphere Entertainment. Because of this greedy company taking advantage of the Monks, nobody should be buying or selling this video. Shame on You! For more info go to the Monks website at [...] (they have a statement on their website about this matter). Support the Monks, not A.E who did a BAD JOB in making this video.
on May 17, 2011
I initially read the book, and finally purchased the DVD to train our JRT. Yes, the monks share a lot of teaching philosophy; they encourage you to be a benevolent leader, among other things. But, these guys are professionals. What should you expect? The training DVD is easy to follow. You'll be able to make your dog heel in 5 minutes! No, I'm only joking; it's not that easy....but, honestly, I've worked with a trainer before purchasing this DVD. The basic philosophy presented in this DVD is pretty much the same method used by the trainer. If you're really serious about wanting to have a well-mannered animal companion, then you might want to give this one a try. But it will require effort, patience, and love on your part.
on October 5, 2011
Great dvd for anyone wanting a well behaved dog. It's best suited for those bringing a puppy home but the techniques can be used for older dogs as well. I have a 2 1/2 year female pitbull (dog aggressive)and used the techniques they outline in the behavior section in order to correct her when showing aggression toward other dogs. Needless to say she much more well behaved around other dogs when out on our walks. As a result, she's much calmer and is finally able to enjoy the walks we take!

The philosphy they teach may be a bit long at times but well worth listening to. This dvd is not meant for those people who are too sensitive to the type of physical correction they teach. They are by no means cruel or advocate physical punishment as a means to train BUT they do teach you the proper way to physically correct them in a way that does not hurt the dog but gets their attention. Their techniques work period! My dog and I are much happier as a result of this dvd.

JG
on July 29, 2013
My husband and I loved this video. We have owned many German Shepherd dogs over the past 50 years. We just purchased our 7th German Shepherd dog, and she is now 4 months old. We already used some of the monks' techniques, and we have gotten many more ideas from the video. The monks' knowledge is absolutely sound and correct. I have always liked Cesar Millan, but after seeing this video, I feel that the Monks of New Skete have more and better methods, especially for German Shepherd owners. If you are thinking of buying a German Shepherd puppy, watch this video first, and you will be a better owner and trainer.
on November 1, 2012
I love this DVD (already have it as a VHS so I know what it is like). I am giving this as a gift to my niece. This is a very relaxing DVD filled with a lot of data on how to raise and care for your puppy with out any harsh training. After watching and repeating the training exercises your puppy should be housebroke, walk on a leash by your side and so on. There is also a book by them that covers the exact thing so if you can't afford the DVD or don't want it I would strongly encourage you to purchase the book for training purposes if your puppy needs to learn manners. The thing I like about the DVD is it puts you in a relaxed mood before heading into the training; which is very good if you have a cute little monster on your hands.When I am short of time or want a just want a refresher I always turn to the book. I was very impressed how the dogs stayed in there place so you could eat and talk in peace. You can't beat a well manner puppy. I hope you try this out. I don't think you would be disappointed. I would mention another plus and that is if you contact them and set up an appointment to go to Cambridge, New York where they live and you can get help in training your baby plus you get to see all the beautiful scenery there in a very peaceful atmosphere. You should come away very relaxed and with a much happier well behaved puppy. Cambridge is near Albany and Vermont very beautiful area. These are 2 books by them that I have: The Art of Raising a Puppy and How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners. Happy training.