5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful selection of essays!
Published on October 4, 2002 by Joanna Mechlinski

3.0 out of 5 stars Too smart for me.
I bought this thinking it would be a good way to get to know the author through his short works but I guess I need to be an english major or in an English composition class 'cause I didn't get past a few pages. I'm still trying tho.
Published on December 17, 2008 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful selection of essays!, October 4, 2002
This review is from: Ralph Waldo Emerson: Selected Essays, Lectures and Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
I've had to read parts of this book for various classes, and read the rest on my own. Whether he's talking about his day, or the future, Emerson is right on the mark for many things, from the need to be self-reliant to society's views on religion. Of course, there are some things I don't agree with, as you'll also find...but there are just so many quotable lines here, which are incredibly thought-provoking and inspirational. If you haven't read this, please do!

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last: someone worth reading...., March 12, 2006
Kavity Killer (denver, colorado United States) - See all my reviews
I discovered Emerson at age 34, and it was like coming home. I have always been, I guess, a natural "transcendentalist". In other words, I instinctively and intuitively fell into a transcendentalist mindset and way of thinking without ever having read any. So I've read Thoreau and Annie Dillard and frankly can't stand either of them. I find them a little strained. Emerson, to me at least, is a different story. He writes like a god. He writes with authority, poetry and insight. He, to me, is worlds apart from someone like Dillard...hard to say exactly how. I just know that his writing is brilliant, brilliant...free, courageous, honest. A big part of it for me is his passionate and deep understanding of God coupled with his rejection of "corpse-cold" religion. If you are a seeker, if you have an open mind, you will find few better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reasonable part, June 6, 2013
Ana Kristina (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - See all my reviews
I studied Emerson and Thoreau together in college. I admire them both. Thoreau is the extreme part of my spirit while Emerson -even attuned with Thoreau's ideas - seemed to be more parctical, more linked to the day-by-day reality. I am really enjoying this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ralph Waldo Emerson -, April 15, 2010
The book is a little small in size, but, it is enjoyable to read.
It takes sometimes reading the material twice to digest the information and taking it in, to process the writing. It is a classic book and feel it would benefit any and all that are interesting in nature and "god in nature." Better to be in the mood to read these writings rather than forcing one's self to read it when not in the right frame of mind to be receive the writing.

Be open to the the spiritual side of nature and beauty it beholds for our everyday healing of the rat race life we live.

Be of good cheer and kindness, and know we go back into the one mind of the universe of nature and we move to the next dimension.

God is within all of us. We are part of nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selected Essays, Lectures and Poems by Emerson, August 14, 2005
Emerson affirms the individual and self-reliant aspects of life.

Early in life, Emerson lost his father and 3 year old sister Mary Caroline. The author demonstrated the power of expression in translating truth to both verse and music. Some famous quotes from the book are as follows:

- The perfect friendship requires a rare nature..

- The fountains of my hidden life are through thy friendship fair.

- Man (person ) is all symmetry.

- Great geniuses have the shortest biographies.

i.e. Plato had no biography per se.

A strength of this work is that the author presents classic

sayings/quotations of Emerson in the original literary mode.

It will be appreciated by literature enthusiasts everywhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too smart for me., December 17, 2008
Amazon Customer "Toddler Whisperer" (clermont, Florida United States) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Ralph Waldo Emerson: Selected Essays, Lectures and Poems, June 12, 2008
Excellent writer, good ideas, but verbose to the extreme. I would enjoy Emerson if his flowery dialogues were to the point. Instead he endlessly adds so much snow to fill fill up a chapter that some of his brilliant thoughts are dulled. In my opinion most of the chapters could have been reduced to a page or two. If you like long conversations with people who endlessly drone on to make their point; if you enjoy long winded discussions, Emerson will entertain you.

Dr. Raymond DuRussel

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent retrospective of ages, November 10, 1998
By A Customer
histories, biographies, criticism, singular people like woodmen are the heroes through the ages; a booh making us stronger.

Ralph Waldo Emerson: Selected Essays, Lectures and Poems
Ralph Waldo Emerson: Selected Essays, Lectures and Poems by Ralph Waldo Emerson (Mass Market Paperback - September 1, 1990)
$7.99 $7.19