Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on June 6, 2008
When I heard they were releasing these on Blu-Ray I wasn't exactly thrilled to be buying them again. I had bought First Blood on Blu-Ray when it first came out after I had rented it at a Blockbuster and was so impressed by the picture I had to buy it. I had seen First Blood in so many different versions including most of the standard DVD releases that I didn't think it possbile to look as good as it does on Blu-Ray. After that I decided I really wanted them all on High Definition but they hadn't announced plans to release the other 2 on Blu-Ray. So I bought the others on HD-DVD (french versions). Again the picture was quite a bit better than any standard DVD previously released but not quite as good as First Blood on Blu-Ray. When the trilogy was finally released on Blu-Ray I admit I was a little mad, I wished they had just released them all together in the first place and now buying the trilogy yet again on Blu-Ray would also mean I would have 2 versions of the same First Blood movie.
I found this set at Best Buy for $29.99 (someone had accidently put them in the wrong area but they honored the price). This was cheaper than buying Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III individually so I bought the whole set.

I am very glad I did though, the picture on the other 2 movies are just as good as on First Blood, and better than the HD-DVD versions I had bought. The sound is also much better than any other version I had. I would strongly suggest that if you are skeptical to just buy these, there is not a better version out there and believe me I know. I watched these with my girlfriend and even she was amazed at how good they looked and she is not picky about picture quality. The movies look like they were just filmed yesterday and not back in the 80's. There is very little grain or film artifacts in these either. One review I read said he didn't realize how much sweating there was in the Rambo: First Blood Part II until he actually saw it in High Definiton and I have to agree, it is so clear everything shows up and looks amazing. If you own a Blu-Ray player and love the Rambo series you owe it to yourself to buy these.
55 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2002
I'm going right for the meat and potatoes on this one.
Ok, you've got the Rambo movies all in one case, and I'm not saying they stuck three movies in one box, they have all the movies cased in a book format.
Then, for you pickers and choosers, they have all the Rambos in widescreen and full screen editions (I prefer widescreen though). But don't be fooled at the beginning of the full screen version, it just starts out in widescreen until the credits are finished and then it becomes full screen.
And, the box set contains a fourth disk that you CANNOT get anywhere but in this set. It contains more facts and featurettes about Rambo and what made it so great (and it has a play all feature for the people that don't want to go back and fourth through all of the featurettes). It also contains a neat little trvia game and sneak peeks at other DVDs.
In closing, people that love Rambo need this, and for the people that just love things blowing up...you need this as well. This is the essential Rambo collection, and it can also be called inexpensive action, because you have all of the Rambos and a special fourth DVD just for this set all packaged in a book format and a very sleek tin. Get this set you action freeks and Rambo-maniacs before Rambo hunts you down and makes you buy it!
on November 23, 2005
and they mean Ultimate when they say so.

I had recently learned of the redicuolous marketing for these movies, and that's the typical DVD company for you. But because of the bad reviews, is only the die hard fan's problems, not yours. This is only because die hard fans had obviously bought the first box set released, then companys decided to make another for the sake of better special features, and other suspicious reasons. This gave fans who had the older set the urge to buy the next one, and probably sell off the other. But this is when the companys have the chance to release one more on the fans and new comers alike. This enables them to make money off of people buying and rebuying these DVD sets, and it works. Their loyalty isn't to you, THEY'RE A BUSINESS, they are there to get paid like everyone else wants to.

What my real point is however, is that this is a no problemo situation for ones that have not wasted their time with the older sets at their release dates. The other sets are good, and have their pros and cons. But to me, the Ultimate edition packs the least amount of cons, and is for a fact, THEE Ultimate collection. Why? Here is why I think so.

Special Features:

Aspect Ratio: Letter box 2:35 (Perfect widescreen)
Special commentary by Sylvester Stallone on First Blood only, other Rambo sequels have commentaries by the Directors (YES!)
First Blood, Rambo III, Deleted scenes (Very good)
First Blood, features alternate suicide ending (What a find!)
And a Meta vision: So called to expand your viewing capability of the films (Interesting)

And more!

Overall: I love the final Rambo collection. I shall continue to be entertained and blown away by these films, as they will remain a remarkable franchise.

and remember fans, Rambo 4 is coming this year 2006
on May 1, 2005
When Rambo first released on DVD, it wasn't even in a complete set. Each film came out individually, First Blood part 2 had some special features, but than the other two had nothing more than trailers. Than they released a special edition, which I thought was neccesary because it was given a good round of features. Now they release it again, so you would expect even more features right? Wrong! First Blood and Rambo III have some decent extras, but why First Blood part II hasn't evolved from the previous edition is anyones guess. The special edition set that was released prior to this one, had more documentaries, so is it really worth buying the ultra-edition just for the sake of a few minor changes. Since First Blood part II hasn't got any extras, I reccomend buying First Blood and Rambo III ultra-editions individually only if you'd a die hard fan. Who knows maybe in 5 years time, they will release a Super special edition, than another 5 years after that a Super duper special edition. Why didn't Artisan include all the features on the ultra-edition with the special? the reason is obvious, they just want to milk as much money out of the fans as possible by re-releasing the set. They did the same with Rocky and Terminator and a string of other movies. There is no respect for fans anymore, film merchandising is clearly based on profit than value for money for the consumer. Mark my words, next on the list is Batman and Titanic, which will be given the special edition treatment, forcing fans to keep returning to the shop over and over.

Meanwhile I love Rambo the films with passion, but the marketing of the movies is ridiculous.
on January 15, 2005
What a waste! How else can I say it? The Special Editions had trailers, great documentaries, and informative production notes on top of that. Why didn't they include the deleted scenes?! That's the only thing of value on these new Ultimate Editions, because all the rest is missing. If it really was an "ultimate" set, they would have included all the previously released great extras. (For those with the far-superior Special Editions, don't bother replacing yours with these; even the deleted scenes aren't anything to get worked up about, with possible exception of First Blood's alternate ending.) And those nonsense "Meta" features are a pathetic insult to serious collectors. Can't comment on audio commentaries. I gave up wasting my time on those things years ago, having OD'd on them back in the days of laserdisc!
on June 15, 2005
Let me confess that in the whole period of DVD production, I've never seen such a brilliant, Spectacular & really Collector's edition (not only special edition) DVD set! It's beautiful and very well designed and produced with high quality material!

It consists of a Collectable real metal outer case, Spectacular metallic and glassy inner case, booklet, and 4 DVDs. but there are two complain, movies are double sided. Widescreen sides are Dual layer with DTS soundtrack. Full screen sides are single layers without DTS soundtrack. it means that if you deceide to watch a movie in full screen, you'll unable to use DTS which is soppose to be one of the most important features of this DVD set.

second complain is about the sound remasteration. in two of them, all of the sounds and speeches go through only one of five speakers! it's a real problem and it really botters when it shows 5.1 DD or DTS in audio menu but the real soundtrack is mono. it'll be good if the studio schedule a program to replace the defective DVDs!

I heart of a new release of RAMBO TRILOGY, I've not seen it yet but descriptions indicate that's an ordinary DVD collection. the sound quality will be difinately better than this one but about other features, I can't Discuss yet. better of this one or not, I can say it with courage, no DVD collection will be complete whitout the RAMBO TRILOGY SPECIAL EDITION!
on March 18, 2014
I gave this trilogy a 1 because in today's market of DVD'd it's almost become the standard for a film to have close captions on ALL movies today. Partly my fault for not reading the description more closely to realize that there was NO close captions. These 3 movies were about a Great War hero. Well, I was no Bambo or war hero but my work in vietnam left me mostly deaf. My MOS called for Demolitions, mine field war fare and booby traps. Bottom line, with the addition of rifle fire I had extensive use of explosives for enemy bunkers, tunnels, mines found in the field as well as booby traps. This is my problem but as I first stated, mostly ALL DVD's today come with close captions. As far a hearing aids go, you try and take on the V.A and see how easy it is to have them hand over $14000.00 for both ears with a war going on. My type of hearing loss is called tinititis and it's a constant hissing in both ears that normal hearing aides just don't work with. Again this is MY problem BUT with the space that available on DVD's today, there is MORE than enough room for close captions. I apologize for the length of this message but I'm quite sure there are more veterans from the vietnam period that did not have the hearing protection that ,Thank God, Our Troops today are given so they won't have to deal with in the next ten yrs or so. That's how long it took to slowly start and by now I can't go to the movies with my wife unless the theater has hearing assistance devices. Not all theaters have then and the ones that do, about half don't work. So I wait or purchase DVD's where I have close caption (mostly)... I honestly hope no one else has this problem and some day I may get those $7000 for each ear hearing devices.... Good luck to those who suffer from this hearing loss and be VERY Thankful if you don't have it.... art caldwell
VINE VOICEon August 15, 2008
What a great Blu Ray 3 disc set!!! This includes all 3 movies of the original Rambo Trilogy(That's First Blood,Rambo II,and Rambo III) They look and sound awseome,so much better than standard DVD,and I got this at a great price from right here at Amazon.com baby,this is the place to do ALL your Blu Ray shopping,the prices just cant be beat!!! If your a fan of the original Rambo trilogy and have a Blu Ray Disc player than this is great box set at a great price,I got this blu ray set on sale cheaper than the standard DVD set,just can't beat that!!! And it comes on a nice collector's case taht looks great on the shelf to boot!!! Recommended! A+
on January 4, 2001
The first of these three is a classic. Stallone as the vagrant Vietnam veteran falsely arrested and escaping to rage a one man war on the officers who are after him. With a great atmosphere and a small death count, you see that action films don't necessarily have to have lots of people being killed to succeed.
First Blood part 2 is not as good but is still enjoyable and takes the format of a normal action film with Rambo rescuing P.O.W's from Nam.
Rambo 3 is again similar to 2 with Rambo mounting a rescue mission to save his friend Colonel Trautman.
Overall, many hours of entertainment that you will enjoy, and despite a slightly dodgy third installment, still worth the money.
on March 15, 2016
I've always liked First Blood, the sequels ?( 2&3), well, not so much. They are certainly watch-able as a mindless guilty pleasure, but they aren't the greatest films. I wanted to upgrade my copy of First Blood to Blu ray, but found this box set for around the same price as the one film, so I decided to give it a shot and watch those sequels again.

The Blu Ray discs come in individual cases, I was hoping for a space saving case for my library, I would have rather had a slim case with a hinged spindle instead of this bulky box set.

Disc one houses the first film which looks the best it has ever looked on home video. Nice detail and a clarity I have never seen with this film. It also includes several audio options and two commentaries. The bonuses are a little thinner than the 2 disc DVD Special Editions, but what's here is very good.. A 20 + minute documentary, deleted scenes including the original ending and a nice Trivia option for watching the film. All of these are very interesting. The film itself is by far the best in the series and one of my favorite Stallone vehicles. A great supporting cast,fast pace and a good mix of action make this one worth the price of this set alone.

Disc two holds Rambo II, which also looks the best it ever has, the bonuses include a 20 minute documentary and the trivia option like the first film. This sequel is fair at best, it starts off interesting and is a well made film, but the comic book over the top situations make it hard to really be engrossed in the story because we sense no danger for our hero. The man literally beats an army with a bow and arrow. That being said it only runs out of steam in the last act and isn't a total disaster.

The third disc holds Rambo III which is the weakest in the series, but like the first sequel it starts off promising but runs of of gas with too many sporadic explosions and gunfire. It should be noted that I pretty much wrote the two sequels off until Stallone redeemed himself with a 4th installment named plainly Rambo which I truly enjoyed. Once again a nice upgrade from SD with a 30 minute documentary, but this one isn't all that great as it focuses mainly on Afghanistan and not so much about the movie, there is also the trivia option while attaching the movie.

If you're a fan of these films this is probably worth picking up, while I like bonus features the Rambo series is not all that important to me personally the extras here are very good and informative. At the price point of one Blu Ray, it's hard to resist even only being a true fan of the original. If the last film in the series was included and this was in a slim case or multi disc case, I would have given it 5 stars, regardless it's still a good deal for three quality blu ray transfers of the first three films.