Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2010 1:02:57 AM PDT
L. Smith says:
Has anyone heard as to weather or not the Rambo in this collection to be the theatrical or the extended cut? Being the new cut is released the same day as this, I'm hoping we get that with this set as well. Haven't read that anywhere though. I can see them NOT including it just so some suckers buy two different versions...

Posted on May 15, 2010 7:38:18 PM PDT
duke4711 says:
According to Blu-ray.com, the new boxed set is NOT going to have the extended cut. From the looks of it, it is simply a new boxed set which includes copies of the four previously released discs. I honestly don't know if this is accurate, but if it is, Lionsgate is really sinking to new low. Do they honestly expect people to buy the boxed set (which includes the theatrical cut) and the extended cut of Rambo at the same time? Thankfully, I don't have any of the Rambo movies on Blu-ray yet. If this information is indeed accurate, I'm going to buy the 1-3 boxed set and the extended cut of Rambo.

Posted on May 25, 2010 11:50:53 PM PDT
M. Smith says:
If that's the case, that is incredibly lame. I was hoping that this new box set would involve a new(er) transfer than the previous set. I've held off on buying the old trilogy box set being I've heard that the transfer was subpar. I guess I'll continue to wait... bummer... I'll have to cancel my pre-order on this set then.

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 6:30:13 AM PDT
disilluzion says:
This set contains the same discs that were released 2 years ago. Rambo IV actually says disc one on it...pretty lazy on their end for that one.

If you want all the films plus the extended edition of Rambo IV then you'll have to buy the Rambo 1-3 box set and then the EE of Rambo IV separately. That's only if you think the EE is worth $15 for 9 extra minutes of course. Otherwise go for this set.

If you don't own any of these on Blu-ray yet then it's a pretty obvious route to take, but if you do then there is no reason to double-dip for a measly 9 extra minutes.

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 2:38:22 PM PDT
Michael says:
It's a good thing the Rambo films on blu-ray can be purchased separately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2010 12:51:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2010 12:54:55 AM PDT
disilluzion is spot on with only getting 9 mins but the flipside of that is that those 9 mins are the probably the deepest characterization that Sly has ever spoken on screen pertaining to why Rambo is the way he is. Stallone shouldn't have cut it in the first place and you can watch that scene with him and Julie Benz (hottie) by the boat in the regular BR release. i am sure there will be more action put in as well or violence but that movie has enough of that anyway. great flick. i won't be dd on this release though my regular BR is good enough

Posted on Aug 1, 2010 1:05:25 AM PDT
Hey guys, just got done watching the extended cut. It is my personal opinion that it was awful compared to the original release. The violence was unbelievably toned down and the additional 9 minutes was mainly dialogue that didn't add much to the movie and I feel as though it just hurt the overall flow of it. That is the best warning I can give you. I am actually going to sell back my copy of extended and stick with my original cut. So if you were considering grabbing the new collector's set, I would do that as opposed to buying them all separately just to have the extended cut. If you must find out for yourself, you should rent it or borrow it from another sucker who bought it like me. The extended cut was easily the most disappointing bluray I have purchased in the history of my entire collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 9:03:35 PM PDT
Just curious where the violence was cut down? I watched both back to back and didn't notice any of the content censored or removed.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 9:19:07 PM PDT
duke4711 says:
I didn't see where the violence was toned down either. The transfers are about the same, it looks like they've succeeded in preserving a film-like image. I did think the 83 minutes of production diaries were really cool. In my opinion, if you own the original disc, I can't see buying the new cut for nine more minutes of dialogue, but if you don't have the original, I would buy this one. I bought the 1-3 boxed set and the extended cut. Just my humble opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 12:00:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2010 12:01:34 AM PDT
- The close up head shot execution on the boat scene is gone.
- The part where the Asian Merc saves the lady under the hut by stabbing the soldier through the neck and the then repeatedly stabbing him in the side was trimmed... only the initial throat stabbing was there.
- The part where RAMBO RIPS THAT DUDE'S THROAT OUT is completely trimmed... just a quick flash like pow - no throat.
- Trimmed down child murder and dismemberments in the village attack scene.

While watching the extended cut the main red flag was the missing close up headshot on the night boat scene. I remember that scene vividly in the theater and it pretty much bothered me for the rest of the movie when I watched the extended cut and made me take mental notes on what other things were different/missing. So after I finished the extended cut bluray I popped in my original cut dvd and compared the various scenes I thought were fishy. That list were all the things I personally noticed. I am sure there is more out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 5:39:18 PM PDT
I haven't seen the extended cut yet, but I own the theatrical version on DVD and it was a great movie. I will probably take a look at the extended edition and watch both at close intervals and compare for myself once I buy a Blu-Ray player. At least there is www.movie-censorship.com to help with such a comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 6:17:20 PM PDT
disilluzion says:
All the extended footage is available as deleted scenes on the theatrical Blu-ray. Said scenes slow the movie down IMO. I prefer the theatrical.

One other thing to consider is a 90 minute video diary narrated by Sly himself that is only available on the EC. It's in SD though...

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 1:02:52 PM PDT
Boston007 says:
BTW, this is the lowest price it's ever been on Amazon.

Posted on May 19, 2012 7:17:44 PM PDT
Does the dvd format in this set have all 4 movies?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Rambo - The Complete Collector's Set (First Blood - Ultimate Edition / Rambo - First Blood Part II - Ultimate Edition / Rambo III - Ultimate Edition / John Rambo - Special Edition)
Rambo - The Complete Collector's Set (First Blood - Ultimate Edition / Rambo - First Blood Part II - Ultimate Edition / Rambo III - Ultimate Edition / John Rambo - Special Edition) by Sylvester Stallone (DVD - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (219)