5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed
Ordered from Amazon on Monday and received on Friday. Four days from Michigan to Missouri is fast shipping.
This machine was packaged well enough to be air dropped if necessary. The outside box was lined with Styrofoam. The inside box was lined with about 1" thick foam that was made to fit the cutter.

It came with everything except an electrical plug which...
Published on April 13, 2010 by Jerome

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for about 30 minutes (intermittent use) then died
I had terrible problems actually getting this plasma cutter. The first one got stuck in a UPS void, went back and forth for several days, finally showed as out for delivery, never was delivered. I requested a replacement one, which came from a different location and got to me in two days

I used it over two weekends for about 30 minutes of total cutting time,...
Published 13 months ago by Kevin C. RUTLAND

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, April 13, 2010
This review is from: Ramsond CUT 50DY 50 Amp Digital Inverter Portable Air Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage (Tools & Home Improvement)

It came with everything except an electrical plug which makes sense because it will work on 110 or 220 so there is no way for them to know what type plug to send. I wired mine for 220.
The first thing I cut was some 1/8 " steel. It zipped right through that. I then tried some ¼" with no problem. The next thing I cut was ½" steel. I got through it but I had to take it easy. I didn't have anything thicker but with my lack of skill I'm not sure I would tackle anything thicker than the ½".

I also tried some very thin steel and it did a great job with a low amp setting. 1/8" and ¼" aluminum cut with no problem.
I don't have a steady hand so most of my cuts looked pretty rough but the machine cuts so fast with no resistance it was hard to get a straight cut. Anyone who has used a cutting torch will know what I mean.

I still don't know how they can produce this much cutting power in a 25 pound machine but they did. I am impressed with the machines quality and performance

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy For The Automotive Hobbiest, November 9, 2010
I was a little apprehensive to purchase this plasma cutter because of the price, but I'm so glad I did. Ordered on Monday and got it Thursday. Right out of the box (after attaching the air filter and adding a 115v plug to the cord) I was cutting 18 ga. floor panels for my 54 Ford Victoria. I was impressed! I learned to use a piece of angle iron to cut straight edges. I later cut 1/4 inch angle iron like a hot knife trough butter. For those whom rebuild cars, I highly recomend this cutter. Can't find better for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plasma review, September 17, 2010
Recieved in a timely manner. Works great with 110. Great for small jobs. Great product for the price. Cutting panels for patchwork for old cars. Play with the air pressure, and voltage to your satisfaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the crap out of the harbor freight cutter, February 10, 2012
I don't normally bother to review anything, but have to say this machine is *really* impressive. I have had mine about 2 months at time of writing. It is only half the size of the Harbor Freight cutter, but is 10 amps stronger and doesn't overheat nearly as easily. Mine was only Four Hundred Dollars too (they have hiked the price since then!!), so the Harbor Freight cutter at Seven Hundred Bucks went right back to the store. PoS in comparison.. weaker, overheated easily and almost twice the price?!

I have cut a bunch of half inch steel plate with the Ramsond thus far.. it does really well with that, especially with a new tip.
It goes thru the steel like a hot knife in butter.. Brilliant stuff!
It will get thru 3/4 inch.. just about anyway. It kinda has to chew through it so the cut isn't very clean.

Tops Tips:
Make sure you have a good strong compressor with lots of air flow! The air keeps the tip cool and pushes the molten steel away from it. No air or weak air will fry the tip in a heart beat.

It will eat the tips fairly quickly, especially with bad air supply and bad technique. I don't know why Amazon doesn't sell replacements.

The cutter will blast a spray of molten steel away from the cut. Be cognisant of where this is going to end up... it will bounce back at you or could damage clothing or anything around it, so pick your location and angle of attack with care. I find a nice 45 degree angle will push the steel away well and keep the tip cooler.

Thats about it. Definitely worth a try. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for what it is and costs., December 1, 2010
Is this thing as good as the expensive Millers, Hypertherms etc the short answer is no it is not. But for what it costs and how it performs it is worth every penny for the home hobbiest. It produces a clean cut through the 1/4" steel I routinely cut. No experience cutting much thicker then 1/4" but at the settings I am at for 1/4" it just may do 1/2" just fine. I should note that I have it wired 240 volt.
The regulator is cheap but works, I may replace it with a better one in the future though.

The torch head is also cheap and will not hold up to abuse. I have not done long cuts but the cutting I have done the handle has not even become warm so I have no worries of it's ability.

So in short it is a inexpensive hobby type plasma cutter that works as it claims. It is not a plasma cutter to use in a high demand work shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, April 16, 2011
I was in the market for an affordable plasma cutter. i searched online and found a CUT50DY plasma cutter from Ramsond corporation for around $500 with free shipping. I had never heard of the brand, but I had seen good reviews of the cutter so I figured I'd give it a try. Upon receiving the plasma cutter (which was packaged very well in full styrofoam), I wired an outlet in my shop for 220 volts to run the machine. I was curious to see if the machine performed as stated, so I hooked up my air line, plugged in the machine and found a piece of nearly 1 inch thick solid square tubing. I was VERY impressed at how it cut through the steel. I operate a small farm on the side of my normal job (law enforcement), and the day after I received the cutter, while planting corn with my planter, I broke a large bolt and welding on the planter. I brought the planter over to my shop and used the plasma cutter to remove the old bolt and also had to cut at least 1/2 inch thick steel tubing and again, the cutter performed beyond my expectations to fix my planter. I would definitely recommend the plasma cutter so far. I can not attest to the long term durability of the cutter but it definitely exceeds my expectations of a lower priced plasma cutter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for about 30 minutes (intermittent use) then died, June 6, 2013

I used it over two weekends for about 30 minutes of total cutting time, and it was working really well, until it went "phut" and died. Amazon sent me a replacement. This also went into the UPS void and once again never was delivered. The tracking showed it going back and forth and out for delivery - someone must have found a clever way to steal them.

I got fed up waiting for the replacement so I got a refund from Amazon (who are wonderful at handling problems) and placed an order for a LT5000D Lotos 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter. It looks almost the same as the Ramsond but has the pressure gauge on the back, and has a different trigger (I found the trigger on the Cut DY uncomfortable to use), so I'm hoping that it does not die too. Also you don't get the extra consumables with the LT unit. (It turned out that this unit is probably the same as the Ramsond unit - see below).

I tried contacting Ramsond twice about the problem of the unit dying but they never got back to me. Not a good sign!

UPS have a terrible way to handle customer queries. If you want to beat the automation, just press 0 and 0 again to get to a real person. Unfortunately, they appear to be a call center, and only read back what you can already see on the tracking information, and will tell you that it is Out for Delivery, even when you know it is not going to arrive. Friendly, but not very helpful. It seems impossible to actually talk with someone at the local UPS, unless you drive over to the UPS location.

If you get a unit that works, do make sure that you add an extra earth/ground cable - connect it to be terminal at the back of the unit, and to a good earth/ground connection, which may help avoid a problem. It must be used to avoid electronic interference called noise, and also if you have a ground connection at your power outlet, but I don't know if it is intended to do more than that.

These plasma cutters do cut really well, but I'm concerned about reliability. I hope that the LT unit is not a lemon too.

Additional info: I was reading more deeply about these units, and the problems people were having getting the torch to start. It turns out that these units need a touch on bare metal to start them, they are NOT self-starting, and need a clean surface to work on. So rust or paint or any other form of resistance will stop the arc. So you must grind the surface clean before you start cutting. You will also not cut grid metals easily as the torch will stop every time it leaves the metal.
I sent the LT5000D back unopened and exchanged it for the LTP5000D LOTOS IGBT Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter 110/220VAC 1/2" Cut with CNC auto cutting feature, which DOES keep the torch ignited on rusty, grid, and possibly even painted, metals. It costs $100 more but I think that the auto starting is well worth the extra money.

I see a lot of complaints about the poor manuals and lack of info about cutting. Go the the Millerwelds website and look for plasma cutting tips. Everything you need to know is there, including getting the correct speed to avoid the metal building back under the cut. It will improve your technique and take your plasma cutting to a whole new level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye Bye Oxy Torch, April 9, 2010
A Kid's Review
What a difference. Just got my Ramsond CUT50DY. Nice equipment with good clean cutting parameters. What a difference from my Oxy torch. I thought I would have to get used to this for a while, but your learn pretty quick after your first cut. The machine is nice and compact, quiet and clean. I couldn't believe that I could get a plasma cutter of this quality for such a good price. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., December 10, 2010
This thing far exceeds my expectations... Amazing bang for your buck product and I can't imagine needing a different plasma cutter at anytime. It does thick and thin metal with ease and doesn't miss a beat. Very easy to use and comes very complete... Recommending to all of my hotrodding buddies!

Thanks....

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, August 27, 2011
n2mickey (Northridge, CA) - See all my reviews
Delivery was timely. Used 220v and was impressed with the cuts on 26 gauge and 1/8" mild steel. It's great for small jobs and home projects. Took awhile playing with the air pressure and amp settings to get good cuts. I was wishing for a sample list of Amp & Air pressure setting for different size steel but none was found in the instructions, you'll need to figure that out yourself. For beginners try 40 amp & 60 psi for 1/8" steel and 20 amp & 20 psi for 26 gauge sheet metal and adjust from there. Great value for the money

Rate and Discover Movies