5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product

Published on December 7, 2011 by monkuboy

3.0 out of 5 stars nice product, overall useful information, December 7, 2011
monkuboy (Temple City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The difference between this GPS and other GPS products out there is that this one is tailored to RV use. In addition to providing directions and helping the driver locate services in the area (such as food, lodging, gas, etc.) it also includes places that are of interest and use to people who use RV's, such as campgrounds, RV lots, etc. It also plans routes based on the size and weight of the vehicle to ensure that the roads are accommodating.

This is quite a large product - it has an easily visible 7" screen and is like a little brick. It's quite sturdy and heavy and really would not do well on a normal car dashboard. It comes with a mounting stand that allows you to attach it to the windshield.

The GPS is supposed to be connected to a computer with internet access when first used, so that it can download updates, firmware, register itself and get set up properly. This took a while, so be prepared to wait while all of the files get downloaded. Once that is done, you can begin setting up the unit and tailor it to your vehicle. You can select a class of RV, or a camper, or a normal car. If you select a normal car, some of the features of the product will not be available to you (obviously, since they are meant for RV's). You also enter the size and weight of your vehicle.

Once that is done, operation of the GPS is pretty self-explanatory. You can input destinations and save them to the address books. When entering a destination, you can also enter insertion points if you want to stop somewhere else along the way before reaching your main destination. The touch screen has a nice feel to it - you just tap on the glass and it makes a comforting click sound to acknowledge your tap, and the glass also has a fine texture on it so it seems to resist fingerprints. While driving, the dashboard (main screen) of the GPS shows you your route, speed and ETA. The voice guides you along the way, naming off streets and letting you know about things to be watching for. It is important to keep your device updated by regularly connecting it via your computer to the Rand web site in order to get the latest traffic information such as road closures and construction. The voice also alerts you to changes in the speed limits and tells you when you are exceeding that limit (you can adjust the tolerance of how many miles over the limit you can be driving before you get a warning - up to 15 mph over). In terms of providing information, it lists places of interest, places for getting services, and also does list places that are of particular interest to people using an RV such as where they can park overnight.

When you enter addresses for destinations, you can either enter the city or the zip code. Once you begin, and then enter the street name and number, the device continually shrinks the available choices based on the information you have already entered. For example, once you enter a zip and then start typing the street name, the visible letters from which you can choose continue to narrow down based on what streets are actually in that area. Same with the address numbers. If you select a street address number that is outside of the range, you get an error message notifying you of what the range of house numbers are for that street (such as if you enter 8600 Milton, you may get a message saying the relevant range is 3000-8000, meaning there is no such address as 8600 Milton).

Actual use: here are some impressions from actually using the GPS. I found that when I entered my own address as the home destination and used my zip code to start, the device told me that my house address was not within that zip code and wouldn't let me proceed. I had to enter the name of the city instead of the zip and for whatever reason, this time it worked. That happened with another destination I entered, as well - I had to enter the city instead of the zip code. The first time I used the device to navigate to a place outside of downtown Los Angeles, when I reached my destination it told me that it was on the "right" side although it was actually on the left side. That is the only time it happened, though.

You are given a choice of two voices: a female and a male voice. Both my wife and I found that the female voice was sort of irritating. She sounds more like she is nagging you than being a friendly guide, with a rather terse, abrupt tone (I know it is just a computerized voice but can't they make her sound more pleasant?). Switching to "Tom" was an improvement. He sounds more affable. I found that both voices speak rather quickly so you have to be listening carefully. They also tend to talk too much in that the reminders about the street or place to turn coming up keeps getting mentioned frequently. I guess that is a good thing to remind you but it gets a little annoying after a while because it tends to be too often. I suppose that's a matter of preference. Also, I set the speed limit warning to the max of 15 mph over because that got annoying as well (haha, you now know I drive over the speed limit).

All in all, this is a decent GPS unit tailored for RV use. It seems kind of pricey but it does offer continual downloads of information updates, and is a timesaver when it comes to pointing out local places of interest. It also is useful for planning routes that are RV-friendly. Unless you actually have an RV there is no point in getting this GPS, because it costs a lot more than a regular one and is also too large for a normal car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 25, 2011
We purchased the RVND 7710 for an upcoming trip of 3000 miles round trip, The unit works great. The screen is very large and bright and the voice is loud enough to clearly hear over the RV road noise. The large screen size makes it much easier to accurately use the touchscreen than smaller screens. There is also a stylus located on the windshield mount if needed for the touchscreen. The windshield mount is very heavy-duty and holds the unit firmly,

The unit was fairly easy to setup and input for our destination was easy. The POIs were accurate for fuel and dump stations. Calculating routes takes a little while but there is a lot of information due to the RV info that is being calculated. It is really useful to have the specific info of your RV being taken into consideration for routing. It syncs to the satellites faster than our Garmin did.

The only downside that I have is with the Dock software for MAc. It auto loads on computer startup and can take several tries to get it to close. I have not used the windows version of Dock.

We are extremely happy with the performance of the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars RVND 7710, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710 7-Inch GPS for Car and RV with Free Lifetime Maps (Electronics)
Well we got the 7 inch RV Rand and it has some good features, about what I expected. Good big screen, easy to read, with good resolutions, sensitive touch screen. Sunlight does not seem to be a problem on the screen.
In the RV setup you enter the overall length of HM with towed, height, weight and width. Then you set when you want to be warned about what. Will warn of steep hills, curves, state lines, time change, Low bridges, bridges that will not carry your weight ect.
Shows Speed limit on major Highways as well as your speed and you can set limits that will warn you if you are more that XX over the limit, along with mile markers, Both very useful. And most are dead on. You will pass a speed limit sign and see it change on the screen. Of course there are some that have been changed, so don't depend on it 100 percent. It also give you elevation and time on the screen. With one click you can get GPS coordinates. You can also mark and save your location. And You can leave a bread crumb trail, tho it does warn the trail function eats up memory space.
It has a good heavy, fully adjustable mount, and you can get an extra mount for $29, making it easy to switch to the tow car. We plan to use screws to mount one to the overhead in the MH. Has a good list of rest areas and overnight stays including Walmart, and list which allow overnight stays and when you need to notify the manager and phone numbers of the store. Has a good list of RV parks, but missing some. Has a good list of corp park, but missing some there too. Easy to set destination and multiple stop routes. Lane change info seemed minimal, but probably adequate. Good list of near by poi and give them to you in the direction you are traveling, destination, or around any location you search. Enter new location by Town name, which seemed strange instead of starting with state. But I could not find a town, every very small, that was not listed. This does make finding a town lots easier than going to state first as my Garmin is.
Routing,, well I did not expect perfect routing so I was not disappointed. There are limitation on the truck info available, just a fact that is going to exist on every truck type unit. There is no way to know everything but The technology will improve with time, hopefully as a result of the feedback button that is on this unit! and constant updates.
I Set for 60foot overall with tow car and 45,000pounds, 8.5 wide, and 12ft8inch high. In my car, It tried to take me down closed streets and lanes I could hardly get my car down. Did not say "turn around" but tried to get me to turn around, not just once but repeatedly, in road and areas that would be impossible with this size rig. Course this in a very rural area where local uncharted roads have little info available. But this same condition exist all across the country. On a main road that carries major truck traffic, said I exceed bridge weight on a bridge that has been there for more than 30 years. On a recent trip to Baton Rouge it routed me off of I49 which was 75mph to 2 lane SH71 with no shoulder and 55mph and some 45pmh and several miles of ROUGH. With a big rig is it not easy to get turned around, and just pulling off the highway can get you stuck. So when you get wrong routed, you can be stuck. I think it will work most of the time and route well, but not always. Point is, just be happy for any worthwhile info it does give you, and report any bad. And always use good sense and double verification before taking a big rig down an unknown road. The unit syncs up with your computer for updates on general information. With free maps, the maps are updated a couple of times a year. When you link up, it cks for all updates and the screen, when in use will ask if you have updated lately. There is also a button to send feed back about anything you find wrong, including map data, and it up loads the next time you sync the unit. Problem is it is very difficult to enter incorrect info. Sure don't have time while driving. Should be a better way to report wrong info. Like an e mail with GPS coordinates of problem area.
All in all, we are happy with the unit and the free lifetime maps, and it does provide lots of useful info.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Satisfied, December 27, 2011
Had trouble with Rand McNally GPS 7710 from the get-go. Had an extremely hard time just registering the unit let alone employing the unit. The unit would not identify satellite(s). Support from Rand McNally was essentially non-existant. Would not answer e-mails and had to wait in excess of twenty minutes to talk with a live person, which never happened. I'll stay with my GARMIN and my Magellan backup. The best experience of this whole transaction was with AMAZON and their return policy which is excellent in my book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rand McNally RVND 7710, March 1, 2012
This GPS has a good screen display and is easy to use, BUT I do not trust the directions. Starting in the San Juan Islands (Friday Harbor) and using a state campground (Cape Lookout) in Oregon, this unit wanted us to go WEST on the ferry to Vancouver Island, then take another ferry NORTHEAST to Vancouver BC, then finally South back to the US and I-5 to Oregon. The normal route would be EAST from Friday Harbor to I-5 then south to Oregon. We replaced the display unit but still had the same routing information. Returned the entire package and returned to Garmin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cocolabine RVND 7710, February 26, 2012
I have this unit for about one month and here are my first impressions:

Not as friendly as any Garmin GPS to work with.
Lack of a printed user's manual
For the price of the unit compared to Garmin's, Rand McNally should have included a protective case as well as an anti-glare screen protector at no charge.
Very long boot time before being able to use it
Experienced problems in downloading custom POI's
Unusable in direct sunlight. Wrong design.
Male voice (Tom) speaks too fast and sometimes difficult to understand.
Speed limits are not always accurate.
Announcement of custom POI's is too close to the POI itself. Not enough time to react.
No information in the manual as what happens when one wander off a predetermined route regarding road clearance, propane restrictions etc...in the upcoming new road.
Short battery life when using it without power in the home to plan a trip.
No possibility of planning a trip on the RVND dock instead of the unit and then download it in the GPS.
Lack of small letters and French accents on the keyboard.
Find it rather expansive for what it does.
No security code
No dashboard support

The Pros:

Lots of information on the screen itself
Sturdy holding bracket
Touchscreen reacts promtly to the finger
A must for RVer's

All this being said, I am impressed with the quantity and quality of the data that unit holds.

However, just after one month of ownership, I had to return the unit to Rand McNally for repair. I was two days past the return policy of Amazon.com

Update: After discussion with an Amazon representative, I sent the unit back to them and purchased another one. The new one works perfectly without problems. Thanks to Amazon excellent customer service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept but doesn't meet expectations., December 9, 2011
Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710 7-Inch RV GPS with Free Lifetime Maps

I received my 7710, used it for two days and returned it (thanks Amazon).

As noted in other reviews, the screen could be difficult to see in bright light. If that were the only problem I wouldn't have returned it.

Minor issue, but there is no selection in the setup for a motorhome towing a car, only trailer. Makes me wonder if their routing takes into account the problem with backing up while towing.

The unit didn't seem to be accurate as to my position, the directions coming a little early or a little late. Sitting in the driveway at "3821" it said I was at "3807". Not sure if this was a mapping error or an error with the GPS knowing its location.

Love the concept of being specific for an RV and having RV POI's. It was really cool driving down the road and quickly being able to see what is at the next exit or another one up the road. Want to find a rest area or Walmart, easy! The problem I found is the POI information isn't accurate. They show many locations as having Truck/RV parking where it's not available. I verified this in person and with my "Exit Now" guide. Also, the places listed in the exit list sometimes had a longer description than they have spaces for letters. When that happens the description just ends. I couldn't find a way to read the entire description. If you select a place it just wants to navigate to it.

Since the POI's were what I was interested in, the ability to be rolling down the highway and quickly find somewhere we can stop, this unit won't work for me. In addition, the fact RN doesn't know which stops have RV parking makes me question the accuracy of the other information (Walmart & such). So, I returned the unit. Great concept but....

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710 7-Inch RV GPS, April 8, 2012
I pre-ordered this device several months ago before its' general release. Since receiving it, I've done two cross country trips and numerous local trips. My overall impression is that the Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7710 7-Inch RV GPS is disappointing in both hardware and software.

Hardware: This unit takes much longer to start up, acquire a satellite fix and be ready for you to drive, than TomTom, Garmin and other GPS units I've used. Recalculating a route similarly takes much longer too. My first uses had poor battery life but, battery life life did improve after several charge / discharge cycles. A unit this large should have a larger, more robust battery in my opinion. The windshield mount did fall off my windshield once (resulting in a small scratch on the screen). The screen does not always respond to my touch or, takes a long time for a touch to register. The screen is also not bright enough and washes out in the sun. This problem is exacerbated because on a bright day, sunglasses will likely be worn. The speaker is of poor quality. Couple that with poor software and, it can be difficult to understand this unit's spoken instructions (I thought it was saying "slide right". I finally realized it was saying "slight right". This problem may be due to the combination of bad software coupled with bad hardware).

Software: The software that got installed on my Mac starts on its' own when my computer starts up. I was unable to stop this as were the first two Apple employees that I asked for help. The third Apple employee was finally able to stop the Rand MacNally software from starting on its' own (its would come to the front and not let me quit said application. The only way I could stop this application was to do a "Force Quit"). There are only two voices, one male and one female. Neither is as clear as it should be. I don't know if this is a software, a hardware or a combination problem. I connected my unit to my MacBook Pro and updated my device before I left on my current trip. Three times (so far) at a complex highway interchanges, there display was NOT clear enough for me to take the proper There were numerous times were my primary route was virtually the same color as the adjoining lanes. I changed the color of my primary route but, the device changed adjacent lanes to a color similar to what I had selected! Speed Limits: numerous times when the device would show a Speed Limit that was NOT what the posted limit was. Sometime the error would show a higher limit, sometimes it would show a lower limit. In construction areas, I could understand an error. Many times this was not the case.

There are a few inconsistencies between what the Manual shows and what is actually on the device (I guess the Manual was printed before the device was finalized).

Speaking of cases, Rand MacNally does not have a case that will hold everything that I would want to bring (the device, AC/DC/USB cords, windshield mount and User's Manual). A case that only holds the device is almost useless to me. I would NOT buy this again and, can NOT recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT GPS !, April 30, 2012
I have had and still have several Garminn GPS units. Always thought they were the best -until this unit. I know there are lotss of negative reviews here but much more possitive reviews from RV owners at Camping World. Bought this because we just bought our first 5th wheel and the RV specific information seemed very helpful. I certainly don't regret it. What a difference! Is it perfect? Nope. Lot's of room for improvement but many of the issues noted in reviews here don't seem to occur on my unit. So here is what I like about it.

PROS
1. LOVE the big screen. Can actually read the info without my glasses.
2. The information it has on the screen is terrific and comprehensi ve.
3. Info on each freeway exit in terms of what is available.
4. Different ways to display the trip - eta, time remaining etc
5. Fast recalc when I don't follow directions.
6. Voice is loud enuf to hear.
7. Announces construction ahead and speed changes which the Garmin does not do
8. Announces turns faster than Garmin
9. Has a dashboard option that shows myriad of data about the trip
10. Announces hills and curves ahead which Garmin does not do.
11. This size of the screen allows you to actually see details
12. Showss icons of Points of Interest you select.
13. Dasshboard on laptop was easy to install and allows construction zone and other updates
14. Touchscreen very sensitive and works well
15. Routing seems identical to Garmin except where needs different routes for larger RV setup.
16. Used on one 200 mile trip and did not freeze up on me.

CONS
1. Interface is not intuitive and needs some work.
2. Transferring customPOI to unit confusing but, given everythiing that is in it, I'm not sure I need customPOI.
3. Screen is a little dim. It reminds me verymuch of the screen that was on my touchscreen Lenovo so I assume that it is expensive.
4. First destination it did give us the wrong side of the road but since then it has gotten the side right.

I'm sure there are others in both categories and will add them as I get more experience with the unit but, at this point I am thrilled with it and consider it money very well spent. I expect that RM will only make it better. This is unit 7,000 something so it's important to remember that they don't have the base of units to work from but I'm very impressed.

SCREEN GLARE. So I ran this trip with the RM and Garmin side by side. Spring time weather with grey and then sunny. BOTH units were hard to read in thee sunshine. Really couldn't see a difference. They were just hard to read in different ways. I'm getting the non-glare screen covers and hood for the RM whiich I expect will improve the problem. Just glad it is availa ble for thee RM as it is not for the Garmin.

One last note, this IS NOT too big for my pickup. In fact it fits perfectly with the suction cup holding it steady and the unit resting on thee dash. Does not obstruct the vieww.

Buy it! You'll like it and wonder why you didn[t do it sooner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Windows Dock does not work, May 31, 2012
This would probably be a really cool product if the Rand McNally Dock software would work. Have tried it on both Windows Vista and Windows 7 and neither works. Can't get the registration, updates, or manual options to work. Not sure why they bother having the "Dock" option. I contacted them about it and pretty much got blown off. Really unhappy with the amount of money for a product that all the options on don't work.