Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

on February 8, 2009
If you are a fan of electronic / dance / trance / progressive then you will like Random Album Title. Half of the 12 tracks are excellent which already makes it better than most albums. The other half range from boring to listenable. Tons of DJs are sampling from Deadmau5 and for good reason, his music has incredible range, some that makes you want to move and some that you can listen to and just chill. Just listen to Faxing Berlin, Brazil, or I Remember.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2009
If you like electro-house then you need this album. Deadmau5 defines the genre or perhaps re-defines it. I've also noticed a lot of cross over appeal to people that arent into electro-house, they still like deadmau5 so its great car trip material.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 22, 2011
After daily repeated listenings during my lengthy work commutes spanning the last couple months, this album has continued to stay on top and will easily remain in my short stack of favorites. While I recently raved about the electronic music in the soundtrack for "The Social Network", this album is so much more alive and richly textured. And the one track that has voice loops, "Sometimes Things Get, Whatever", reminds me of why I originally got into industrial music, and has helped re-invite songs such as Ministry's "The Nature of Love" to my car stereo. Of course, the genres of these other albums are different, but what makes this album especially unique are all the varied musical influences that come to surface after repeated listenings. While attempting to find other albums like "Random Album Title", I have come across a lot of home made lists of recommendations, but none so far has fit the bill, including other works by deadmau5. The inspiration that gave Joel Zimmerman his 8-character-limited screen name may have been a dead mouse he found inside a PC he was fixing, but this album is anything but dead. Even the one track that has lyrics, "I remember", is executed well, and my other personal favorites, "Complications", "Faxing Berlin", and "Arguru", are phenomenal. It grows on you. Quickly.
on November 13, 2012
Random Album Title is a modern classic. First things first, "I Remember" is chilling and features those techno-trademark angelic vocals. All of the singing on the song is great, but especially when the melody peaks at the words "I remember"...the power is indescribable. As the only true vocal track on the album, it makes sense that it would be the big hit.

But that doesn't necessarily make it the best song. The yearning, driving buildup (and climax) of "Alone With You" are second to none; "Faxing Berlin" (particularly the short "Piano Acoustica Version") is equal parts sad and beautiful; and "Complications" takes the funny, funky tone set by the light-hearted "Sometimes Things Get, Whatever" to very serious, dark territory in seconds.

I personally started with 4x4=12 and >Album Title Goes Here< two months ago and now own each major release except For Lack of a Better Name. All three that I've heard so far are solid, solid albums. But as much as I liked 4x4=12--and love >Album Title Goes Here<--Random Album Title is probably the best of the three. The buildups and breakdowns add a tremendous amount to this release (whereas they just bog 4x4=12 down), and I love the continuous mix feel (perhaps the only thing >Album Title Goes Here< lacks). But in any event, if he's got a career this solid already, keep it coming!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2010

Random Album Title is a compilation of the work of Deadmau5 over the last few years. Interestingly, it still follows the standard vibe of Deadmau5, but the album most definitely has a bit of a newer sound that characterizes it. Deadmau5 has been in the music scene for quite some time, and his experience in the technosonic music genre is apparent with every track on this album. The techno house mixed with electro and synth funk makes this discography musically rich and offers something new to electronic music.

Random Album Title, according to Amazon, is one of the most popular albums on the progressive charts since its release. The album utilizes a variety of musical beats, creating distinct, individual tracks that work well with the other tracks on the album. All of the tracks together form a coherent whole and provide the listener with a large amount of musical variety in progressive music. However, the album still follows Deadmau5' characteristic approach to modern electronic music and any Deadmau5 fan can instantly identify it.
On the other hand however, Random Album Title is anything but another modern, instrumental, electronic, synthetic album that blends in with the hundreds produced by DJ's every year. It features tracks that made Top 100 lists in various countries around the world, including both the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Deadmau5 has collaborated with many famous artists, most notably Kaskade, who is featured in a Top 10 single entitled I Remember.
As mentioned earlier, Random Album Title has a variety of layered beats and rhythms throughout many of the tracks. These all create many polyrhythmic tones of beats of different time signatures within individual layers of tracks, which manage to flow together to create cohesive wholes. These tracks are reminiscent of the work of Goa Gil, but at a much more subdued rate. This mellow nature is through the inclusion of soft vocals, as well as electro-synth beats. As such, in my honest opinion, this album is the epitome of the modern progressive music genre; chilled out, yet musically rich and interesting.

Evolution & Historical Influence

The Random Album Title album clearly has a musical foundation in early electronic music, but it simultaneously explores new avenues within the modern progressive - technosonic music genre. Although the use of computers and synthetic beats is prominent, natural elements within the piece are still present, and offer very modern, edgy, and original sounds. Deadmau5 was also able to use a variety of polyrhythms and vocal effects that help to distinguish his music from the masses. Some of the sounds from a variety of tracks can be traced back to the first synthesizers and patched music mixes from the Moog and Buchla era. Furthermore, the album, in standard Deadmau5 fashion, utilizes heavy computer processing, and it reminds of the large amounts of work needed to create Moon by Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto.

In conclusion, Random Album Title, is a very original soundtrack with clear elements from historic electronic music. The album embraces the modern progressive genre, but Deadmau5 still adheres to his characteristic approach to music as he has in his previous work. However, his new album is set apart from past work, because it incorporates collaborations from musical giants such as Kaskade, and features some original tracks that helped Deadmau5 reach fame. All in all, this is Deadmau5' finest album yet, and is most definitely worth every cent.
on February 28, 2009
This album has many of the tracks that brought him worldwide attention: Not Exactly, Arguru, Faxing Berlin, I Remember (with Kaskade!), etc. Destined to be a classic.
on October 14, 2013
Its an undeniable fact: Progressive House is starting to leave the big stage. Just look at the Top 100 DJ's poll: most DJ's and Producers who make Progressive House tunes such as John Digweed are starting to come down fast in popularity. Deadmau5 may have been coming down with them, if it hadn't been for his conversion to pure Electro. Deadmau5's Electro sounds are the ones that are making him this popular today. Amid all the cutting edge dab-o-dash of Deadmau5, this album is often overlooked. Even his first Album, Get Scraped from 2005 gets allot of attention. But this album, even though not seen as noteworthy to allot of people, is still a preciouses jewel in the music world of Progressive House. The whole album can put you to sleep quite contented, and I mean it. It is also quite broad for the music it has. Songs like "Sometimes Things Get, Whatever" are more for lounging enjoyment, while other tunes like "Alone with You" can really be good for getting to sleep after one of those stressful days. The whole album feels like another world were you can just sit down, relax, and dream. While his Electro albums such as 4x4=12 may be more for the life-of-the-party types, this album is good for those who like beautiful inspiration. Overall, this is defiantly one of Deadmau5's greatest achevments in the world of music, and it is something to be treasured in anybody's music collection.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 20, 2010
Not too long ago, I purchased "For Lack of a Better Name" by Deadmau5. Terrific Album! I just can't get enough of it! As such, I returned and bought the previous Deadmaus CD, "Random Album Title" as it was recommended in many user reviews of other Deadmau5 albums. "Random Album Title" is also quite an excellent album. Quite excellent!

Deadmau5 (aka., Joel Zimmerman) is a virtuoso composer who generates his music mostly through the use of computers. It's amazing stuff! Take my word for it. The sound quality and range on Deadmau5 CDs is just amazing, but you're going to need fairly good reproduction equipment to take full advantage of it. I have a modest stereo system having a 100-watts per channel receiver, a pair of three-way speakers with 12-inch woofers and an 80 watt powered subwoofer. I would regard my equipment as minimal. If you ever get the opportunity to listen to a Deadmau5 disc on high-end equipment, jump at the chance! The sound is awesome! In any case I would regard a fairly substantial sub-woofer as an essential component. I play the disc at moderately high volume. The woofers and sub-woofer provide provide an awesome bass background that you can feel as well as hear. The mid- and high-range notes then seem to float on this substantial pounding deep-bass background. The tweeters pick up some very delicate tinkling notes that can barely be heard. The total effect of this wonderful mixture is just mesmerizing, not to mention the high quality of the songs.

In my own listening, I regard this music to be symphonic and I listen to the entire album from the opening note to the closing. I know, you can play individual songs if you like, but this is a truly outstanding composer and I want to listen to the thoughtful way in which he has constructed the entire album. When I put the CD on and go through the first two tracks ("Sometimes Things Get, Whatever" and "Complications"), a smile crosses my face and I know I'm going to really enjoy my listening experience. Deadmau5 has a subtle musical sense of humor that really grabs the attention. No boredom on this one, that's for certain! Deadmau5 music is overwhelming!

Since I have the two Deadmau5 discs, a question might come up as to which I might prefer. Well, I've listened to "For Lack of a Better Name" many more times and this music tends to grow on you. Both CDs are excellent. Without question! I'd probably give "For Lack" the nod as the better of the two. I think it's a bit more complex and sophisticated and probably reflects the greater experience of this rapidly developing composer. I can hardly wait for his next disc!

Gary Peterson
on April 22, 2010
I purchased the album for the wildly popular Track 7, "I Remember," but loved the rest of the CD the moment I listened to it fully. Certainly there are songs that I pass over at times; that usually is because the mood is not right for that particular song.

Which brings me to a larger point, this CD is great for a long-time House Music fan like myself who zones in and out on a song based on his mood and where the song can take him. I feel that the entire CD is transportive! On the drive home I play it to forget about the stresses of work and imagine myself back out on the dance floor, jacking my body until 3 am. I often forget that I am even in traffic!

I look to purchase others of his collection.
on December 6, 2011
As a Deadmau5 noob, yes I really used to say it like that. I have since learned better. I have ten thousand songs on iTunes and more than half of this album is in my top 25 most played.

The production value on this album is through the roof, hell there is no roof. For me, listening to this album is like listening to the Mozart of Electronica. He really is that good, I promise you that.

If I want to dance around I'll put on some Afrojack, feel good; Avicii, if I want to surrender my soul to the music gods this is the album I play.

This collection of songs flows together like a stream. A waterfall may separate the flow but the whole remains intact.

Go to church, buy this album...
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse