Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Subscription Length: 1 year auto-renewalChange
Price:$24.95+ Free shipping

on August 14, 2010
We've subscribed to Ranger Rick for five years. Every issue is wonderfully informative and packed with incredible photographs,articles, and activities. We've received many other childrens' magazines in the past--some of them excellent--but this is the only one we have stayed with for the long haul. Our girls read it cover-to-cover the moment it arrives, and then save them to re-read.

The format is logical and pleasing to the eye, unlike so many other magazines that think that riotous explosions of colour, graphics, and skateboarders all calling each other "dude!" are the only things that speak to children. Each issue covers a variety of topics. This is a real plus for us, since the magazine is being read by two children of different ages and interests (they're 7 and 10). By contrast, many other magazines devote an issue to a single topic, which is great if it's one that captures your child's interest, but a bit of a waste if it doesn't.

And one more thing to love...it's free of advertising. For a magazine published by the National Wildlife Federation, they walk the talk. No ads hawking the latest "must-have" toy, and it's printed on paper certified by the Forestry Stewardship Council as having come from trees harvested from responsibly managed forests.
0Comment172 of 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2011
I had Ranger Rick as a child and wanted to make sure it was the same great quality. I wanted to check out the current Ranger Rick magazine prior to purchasing it for my children so I went to [...] (NWF - National Wildlife Federation's website). Hint: NWF is the organization that puts out the magazine. There I found out that there are two additional aged based magazines (simular to Ranger Rick) which are more age appropriate for my 5 and 2 year old girls. You can also view a sample of the children magazines by clicking on the kids tab in the upper right corner of the home page (or try [...]). I highly suggest previewing the three different magazines to get the correct age group. I ended up purchasing "Wild Animal Baby" (recommended ages 2-4) and "Big Back Yard" (recommended ages 4-7) from the NWF website since they are not offered by Amazon. All three magazines are advertisement free and a portion goes towards the NWF. These 3 magazines seem to be way better content material and with no advertisings compared with the Nat Geo Kids as described by the other parent reviews!
11 comment94 of 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2011
I was so happy to find a magazine that would appeal to my 7 year old nephew since it's not easy to engage boys in reading these days. I am a big Amazon fan & never questioned that I wouldn't be getting a good price on this subscription. That is until I went to a local Barnes & Noble to buy a preview copy to wrap up for Christmas! To my dismay, the subscription card in the magazine offers the same 10 issue deal for $15.00 paid directly to the NWF! I can't help but feel a bit ripped off...in fact for the price I paid, I could have gotten 2 years for that same price had I gone directly to the source! Since my nephew has not yet seen the magaine, I can't give feedback on the magazine itself. But for what I paid, he better like it!!! Moral of the story: shop around!
22 comments73 of 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2011
I got Ranger Rick when I was a kid, and I get it for my Godchildren now. My only complaint is that unlike anything else on Amazon's website, this magazine is actually more expensive than from the publisher. It's $15 from the National Wildlife Federation. I won't do Amazon the disservice of sticking a link in here, but you can search for it yourself. Sorry, Amazon. I would have rather bought it from you because of your fantastic subscription management services. Get the price down to $15 and I'm back in a flash.
0Comment52 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2013
We enjoy many of the pages with facts about animals, but we are going to discontinue our subscription because I don't like the Ranger Rick Adventures comic-strip-like story inside. I understand trying to promote protecting wildlife, but it vilifies humans and especially farmers for our effects on the environment and animals. There are better ways to go about teaching kids about animals and protecting the environment, I just don't like this approach.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2010
We have been getting this magazine for a year or two and are no longer going to subscribe because it is just so full of info about all the awful things humans are doing to the world. Don't get me wrong, I think conservation is good, but the stories and articles have become too grim. In the last issue, the ricky raccoon comic was about how humans are destroying gorilla's habitat in Africa because a certain compound that is required for cellular phones has to be harvested from the ground where they live. In addition, there was another lengthy article about how red squirrels are needing to be rescued in their natural habitat because humans introduced another type of squirrel to the area, not that that's not a valid issue, but it really put a spin on the magazine that humans are just "bad". I think everyone would be much better served if this magazine, targeted to children, focused on how amazing animals are and taught children to appreciate and respect wildlife; and in so doing, inspired children to treat nature respectfully as adults.
2727 comments229 of 266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2011
I grew up reading Ranger Rick, and now get subscriptions for it and the other two kids magazines published by the National Wildlife Federation (Big Backyard and Wild Animal Baby) for all of my nieces and nephews. They love the big pictures of animals, the goofy jokes, games, cartoons and activities. Just like I did, once they've read the magazine four times through, they love cutting up the photos for art projects, or trying to draw the animals in each issue. Ranger Rick is also a great gift!
on August 30, 2014
BUY A SINGLE COPY FIRST. THEN MAKE UP YOUR MIND TO SUBSCRIBE. You can usually find a copy of most magazines at a book store.It really helps when deciding to commit yourself for a years' worth of magazines. Especially when you have two wonderful opposing points of view of the magazine. I personally felt that Ranger Rick fell right it in the middle of capturing childrens' interest in animals as well as conservation.
on May 8, 2011
My granddaughter loves this magazine! She requests it every year for her birthday. I read this magazine myself in the dentist's office and thoroughly enjoy it.
on February 6, 2011
I grew up on this magazine and was thrilled when my 9yr old took such a strong interest in this magazine. It's educational and I never have to worry about the contents and what she's reading. Highly recommend to anyone!