Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Color: Old Paper|Change

on June 29, 2011
No...this ink isn't great for stamping, but when it comes to distressing: WOWOWOWOW. I have used it directly on paper as well as using a cloth to "apply"/rub it on things such as chipboard, etc. Once I've applied the ink, I spray a bit of water on the inked parts and VOILA....the ink will make the paper age MORE-SO by "seeping" a bit. Haven't used the other colors, but I am anxious to work with those, too!

I wouldn't pay the 6.84 on Amazon, though, when locally, it is MUCH cheaper.
on July 3, 2013
I have most of the Distress Ink pads, and I love them and use them almost every day.

This review is about the CLEAR EMBOSSING INK. I never gave it a thought because I thought that it would give a "Distressed" result or something. I went to online forums and brick-and-mortar stores and told them of my embossing woes. No matter what powder I used, what embossing ink, no matter the paper or heat gun, I *always* got bumps, pits, and general uneven embossing. I've always loved the embossing part and how it COULD look. I wanted as close to a glass-like finish as possible and I always got told that it's supposed to be bumpy and uneven. I refused to accept this, I knew it would be possible, and I would find out how. That's where the scrapbook store came in. I shared with them my plight and that the only way I get what I wanted was using Colorbox pigment ink. My local scrapbook store suggested I try this Distress Clear Embossing Ink, and I did, and I wish I had found out about it earlier. By earlier I mean a year ago. My embossed images no longer have pits and bumps in them. When I use them side by side with the Ranger Inkessentials clear/black embossing pens and I amRanger Inkssentials Embossing Pens, 2-Pack, Black And Clear in embossing heaven.

It was SO relieving to know that it was INK that was my problem, not me!
on December 28, 2010
Honestly, these distress ink pads have a lot of uses, but the one thing I never use them for even though they are ink pads is stamping. I found that no matter what type of paper I use or what stamps, these will always bleed at some level. I saw a tutorial on google with someone using these inks for stamping and I definitely noticed the same thing. For stamping, I prefer pigment inks all the way. With that being said, I really love these inks to help age paper. The brown tones combined with the blending tool really creates a wonderful vintage effect. All the colors look great blended together and they are really easy to use when it comes to working around a mask for a really fancy effect. Overall, I don't own too many of these, just the colors I need for vintage effects on paper. I really suggest for those wanting to try these to buy only one and try it out to see if it fits your needs. Also I wanted to add that it helps to shop around because some people are selling these for seven bucks which is insanely high because many of these can be purchased on websites other than amazon for three to four dollars which makes all the difference.
I generally make and sell between 150 - 200 greeting cards per year, and I like to emboss the backgrounds, and then color them so that the raised pattern stands out. I tried all sorts of ink pads until I finally found this Distress Ink pad from Jim Holz. It's advertised as creating "an aged look on papers, fibers, photos & more" which wasn't quite what I was looking for. But it also works very well for coloring a raised pattern after I've run my cardstock through my Cuttlebug with an embossing folder. Please see the customer image for a birthday card that I embossed with a graduation-themed folder, then colored with the tattered rose Distress Ink pad (the background to the main image). Tattered Rose is more beige than rose, but I like the color.

VINE VOICEon September 11, 2009
In July I bought a Uchida 2500 Embossing Heat Tool and, being new to embossing, didn't know which brand of embossing ink was best to use. I got an inexpensive ink pad at a local craft store and it didn't last very long, less that two weeks of moderate use, and the thin little pad dried up. So I came back here and purchased the Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad and have been using it for over a month now and it's still loaded with ink. The ink pad is thicker than the cheap one I got and produces a much better result when rubber stamping.

If you're looking for a good value and a high quality product, then this is the ink pad to use. I plan to try some of the colored pads next. Happy Art-Making!!
I generally make and sell between 150 - 200 greeting cards per year, and I like to emboss the backgrounds, and then color them so that the raised pattern stands out. I tried all sorts of ink pads until I finally found this vintage photo Distress Ink pad from Jim Holz. It's advertised as creating "an aged look on papers, fibers, photos & more" which wasn't quite what I was looking for. But it also works very well for coloring a raised pattern after I've run my cardstock through my Cuttlebug with an embossing folder. Please see the customer image for a sympathy card that I embossed with an autumn-themed folder, then colored with the vintage photo Distress Ink pad.

The only drawback to using this Distress Ink pad is that it takes a few minutes to dry. The vintage photo color will appear to be dark brown on almost any color of card stock.
on May 6, 2016
I used this to create portrait cases for a celebrity gifting event. I'm so pleased with it! It stayed wet long enough to get the embossing powder on and didn't smudge. It would be nice if it was a *bit* sticker. I did notice some not-so-sticky spots at times where the powder didn't stay as well after dumping the excess off.

One thing I did notice is that the lid doesnt stay on very tight so I wonder about it drying out sooner? I will keep an eye on it and be sure to update if this does happen!
on November 4, 2014
The earth tones of the brown range in this line are absolutely exquisite! I use them for all manner of antiquing work. My only complaint is that in my experience, they tend to go dry much faster than other brands of ink pads.

I store them tightly capped, upside-down in individual zip-top bags, stacked in an air-tight canister.......and they still poop out faster than all of the other ink pads I use.

However, since I just cannot find anything with the range of such rich colors as this line, I will continue to use them and regularly restock my supply.

They are easily a five star item, if only they would last a bit longer! So four stars from me.
on March 20, 2015
I bought two of these distress inks, this one and another in Tea Dye. Tea Dye is wonderful, but this one came pretty much completely dried out. After doing the edges of a mere 15 or so pages, the ink pad is no longer putting out much, if any, color. If I need to buy a new package for every 15 pages (just the edges, mind you!) this project is going to cost me a fortune, as I'm trying to distress a 600 page book!!

I'd return it or demand a replacement, but it's just too much hassle to ship this little piece of garbage all the way back and wait for another. I'll just have to do the distressing with Tea Dye alone, not that one and this in combination. Really disappointed.
on October 1, 2010
Don't plan on using this ink pad with rubber stamps unless you want a fairly translucent effect. If you are layering images to create a collage, this can be a good ink to use. Don't get fooled by the clever marketing names, Mustard Seed is plain old yellow, marmalade is just plain old orange, work lipstick is a cherry red.....the colors are not unique. I think the stamping foam that is recommended as an applicator for this product is really awful. If you want to try the foam, you can just as easily use the foam wedges they sell in the drug store to apply foundation make up with.