Rank the Oasis albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2007 2:55:31 PM PST
Electro says:
I've really liked Oasis for awhile now, and have ended up owning all their albums (with the hits collection not included). Here's how I would rank the albums, from best to worst:
1. Don't Believe the Truth: I really like the hits "Lyla" and "The Importance from Being Idle" on this one. It seems that I absolutely love all of the Oasis songs that involve the alternate singer (the more rarely heard Gallagher brother)
2. Be Here Now: This CD is sadly unappreciated oftentimes since it wasn't a "worthy follow-up" to What's the Story Morning Glory. I love the hit "D'You Know What I Mean" on this album, and especially "Magic Pie" (which has the other Gallagher brother in it).
3. What's the Story Morning Glory: Deserves every inch of its fame; I can't get enough of "Don't Look Back In Anger" and especially "Wonderwall"; that's practically the best song ever recorded.
4. Heathen Chemistry: Vastly, vastly underrated. Just as good as any other Oasis album, especially for the hit "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" which probably didn't do too well on the radio regrettably.
5. Standing On the Shoulders of Giants: Right up there with Heathen Chemistry and What's the Story; it was hard to categorize numbers 3-5 in this list. I love "Go Let It Out" especially, along with "Roll It Over". This is probably the most badly rated of the band's CD's, but I heard no problem with it whatsoever. Great album.
6. Definitely Maybe: Not sure why it's so highly acclaimed even though I do like it. Sounds a tad below the usual glorious sound of Oasis if you ask me.
7. The Masterplan: To be honest I was kind of drowsy when I listened to this CD the first time, so I don't really remember how it sounds. For a B-side collection it's probably not their best CD though.
Anyway, those are my rankings. I would be interested to find out other people's rankings. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2007 1:48:51 PM PDT
1. Definitely Maybe( Oasis at their most arrogant, FANTASTIC! )
2. Morning Glory
3. Be Here Now ( UNDERRATED! )
4. Masterplan ( tasty B-sides )
5. Don't Believe the Truth
6. Heathen Chemistry
7. Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2008 12:51:58 PM PDT
Harry Truman says:
Hmm. I would go:

1) Morning Glory
2) Definitely Maybe
3) Don't Believe the Truth
4) Be Here now
5) Masterplan
6) Heathen Chemisty
7) Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

The top 3 comprise the 'Best of' in my opinion. I think that Be Here Now would be better if the songs were a bit shorter and faster. From what I have heard, the new album is in that vein.

Posted on May 13, 2011 9:41:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2011 10:17:43 AM PDT
1) (What's the story) Morning glory? - That's how its called, and it's fantastic from the beginning to the end. Best album from the 90s, one of the best albums ever.
2) Definitely maybe - A classic. Those tunes will live forever.
3) Standing on the shoulder of giants - I really love the energy from Go let it out and Gas panic. Who feels love reminds me of the Beatles, which is definitely a positive point. I would put Little James and 'Put yer money where yer mouth is' as the only two bad tracks in this album.
4) Dig out your soul - It really seems that they have matured, in a good way. Falling down is the most brilliant song Noel Gallagher has ever written.
5) The Masterplan - This album has Noel's face on it. Even though Liam's vocal are outstanding on Acquiesce and Rockin' chair, I feel that the rest of all the tracks would all fit perfectly into Noel's voice. Also the album would sound a lot better if (It's good) to be free and Fade away were cleaner, with no guitar distortions. Half the world away and The masterplan are amazing tracks. A lot of would's in this album, though.
6) Don't believe the truth - Turn up the sun is a really bad-ass way to start an album, and you don't see a lot of that nowadays. The importance of being idle is different from everything Oasis had already recorded, and it's stunningly good. Let there be love is like a reward at the end, making up for some terrible songs like Mucky fingers, Keep The dream alive and The meaning of soul.
7) Heathen chemistry - There are some really good tunes such as Songbird and Stop crying your heart out, but the majority of the songs are just below Oasis' standards.
8) Be here now - Fade in-out has such a fantastic energy. Nevertheless, I hate the fact that most of the songs are 6 -8 minutes lenght and in every gap where liam doesn't sing there's a monster guitar lick. D'you Know What I Mean is a great tune, but it could be a lot shorter.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 9:05:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 9:07:38 AM PST
#1 Morning Glory, without a doubt my favorite album, by Oasis or any other band.
#2 Dig Out Your Soul, it's anthemic and has a good rock edge, Shock of the Lightning is an awesome tune, and Bag it Up is underrated.
#3 Definitely Maybe, just classic never gets old.
#4 Don't Believe the Truth, Lyla has such a catchy chorus. And Turn Up the Sun is infectious.
#5 Be Here Now, OK the songs are a little long but still brilliant and a VERY underrated album just because of the comparison to the first two. If this would have been another groups debut instead of Oasis' third it would be more respected.
#6 Masterplan, since were counting it. It's just a collection but a great one. Unbelievable that they're b-sides!!! Walrus is a little long but they were drunk.
#7 Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, Gas Panic is epic and doesn't get its due. Of course Go Let it Out. Little James is B-side material whereas Getting Older, Revolution Song, or One Way Road should have made the album. Lags toward the end Liar and Money Where Mouth Is could have used more work.
#8 Heathen Chemistry, Very weak effort Stop Crying Yer Heart Out is the shining moment of this one. The others aren't bad but not quite up to par. Why why why didn't Noel keep the original version of Hindu Times and put Liam's vocal on it. It may have saved this album.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 2:29:22 AM PST
1. Morning Glory
2. Dig
3. Truth
4. Maybe
5. Giants
6. Chemistry
7. Be
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
(What's The Story) Morning Glory?
(What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis (Audio CD - 1995)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (461)