Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Gifts Under $50 Beauty Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on October 30, 2008
Rant in E-minor contains some of Bill Hicks' best material; however, it is not presented as a single performance. Bill's connection to audiences--especially American audiences--was hit and miss. And this CD gives you all of the hits. It's the situation comedy nature--like there's a laugh track--that turns me off to this CD. Bill's comedy was not about telling joke after joke. I like when the audience doesn't get it or doesn't laugh. Flying Saucer Tour, Vol.1 is a great example of an excellent comic ranting to a terrible crowd.

Rant in E-minor, like Arizona Bay, has musical selections in between the bits. I like the idea of this, but I think the execution is still amateurish. Rant in E-minor has better sound mixing than Arizona Bay, but it still misses the mark.

Because you won't hear some of this material elsewhere, I have to recommend the CD despite its drawbacks.
on February 12, 2011
This certainly isn't Bill's best. It is not on par with "Relentless" or "Dangerous". It's far angrier and as a result less humorous than those 2 recordings.

I am not sure if the excess vitriol is because Bill knew he was dying of cancer when these sessions were recorded, but whatever the reason for it, the humor suffered. Bill's humor was often controversial and always had a bite to it, but the anger is over the top on Rant.

There are certainly some good bits on here, but they are few and far between. I only laughed a handful of times on first listen, mostly during the second half of the disc. I did not find that much funny material near the beginning.

Avid fans of Bill will probably like this, but I would not recommend it to a first time listener. I like Bill's body of work, but I prefer "Relentless" or "Dangerous".
on February 25, 2006
I was really looking forward to hearing this CD. Having heard Bill on the Flying Saucer Tour, Vol. 1 CD and on the DVDs Sane Man and Bill Hicks: Satirist, I was expecting a lot out of this effort. I was somewhat disappointed. Bill certainly has some great bits. In particular, I liked the Jay Leno (which has to be one of the most vicious bits I've ever heard), Red Foxx, and Willie Nelson material. But, as the title promises, it's a rant, which doesn't evoke many belly laughs. It's politically charged, but not necessarily funny. I admire Bill for tackling an issue like abortion, but it's not a very funny subject, and Bill makes a rather ham-fisted segue into his pro-choice material. Saying that pro-lifers should block cemeteries rather than abortion clinics makes no sense. People in cemeteries are already dead, Bill. Maybe they should block military recruiting offices? In any case, Bill is much better when he sticks to criticizing pop culture and the stupidity of government. But here, he is negative to the point of being nihilistic. "Rant in E Minor" makes "Sane Man" look lighthearted in comparison. This CD is definitely worth listening to if you like Bill Hicks. But he's been funnier elsewhere.
on June 4, 2011
Bill Hicks is certainly ranting in this one. There are a few jokes here and there, but it's mostly rants. I have to say that I'm disappointed with this purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2007
This guy gets a lot of hype on the comedy circuts. Some of his stuff is very very funny and on the mark. Other stuff is just way out there weird. This album kind of feels like it was pasted together out of spare parts and is not one performance which I prefer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse