Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on July 5, 2012
My wife and I were in a panic because our Kindle 1st generation charger broke. I ordered this one. While waiting for it to arrive I noticed that my rapid charger for my cell phone (standard cell phone charger connection) fits the Kindle 1st generation! I called Amazon to make sure we weren't doing damage and the helpful tech said cell phone chargers work fine as long as the connection fits!

So save the $20 and go buy a good USB/Wall adapter combo charger for under $5 and by a good company like Motorola. This way you can save money, frustration, and time.
33 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2012
For some reason this product DOES NOT come up on Amazon's search. The original AC power cord for my Kindle 1 began to suffer from the cracking of the plastic tubing. I purchased an Amazon product that was a waste of $14.95 - the tip didn't fit my Kindle! I went back to post a negative review, and at that point also read the other negative reviews on that product (which I should have done to begin with, I know).

One of the one-star reviews gave a link to this product and recommended it. This product DOES work, and is nicely made. I recommend it highly - however, do note that the cord is much shorter than the original Kindle cord, which may or may not matter to some.
on June 6, 2012
I'd bent the tip on my original kindle cable and have been getting by for the last few months by *carefully* propping the kindle and hoping that nothing or no one would bump into the cord and dislodge it. I finally had enough.

The cord came with two different tips, one for my first generation kindle and one that looks like it fits the kindle 2 etc. The kindle 1 tip fits tightly and my kindle was charged faster than the original cord ever managed. Also, the plug is one of those that folds up into the box for easier travel, and since the tip is removable, I can carry it in a slightly safer manner and hopefully won't bend this one as easily.

I'm planning on keeping my Gen 1 kindle for as long as it keeps running, but it's nice to know that this charger will move with me to the next kindle if I have to buy one.
on October 5, 2012
My husband lost the charger for the Kindle I gave him when I moved up to Kindle 2. Desperately searched for a replacement with no luck until I contacted Amazon for help and they suggested this. I don't know why it didn't show up on my search for "kindle 1charger", but the Amazon rep sent me the link. In typical Amazon fashion, it arrived a few days later and fits perfectly. It also seems to charge the Kindle 1 faster than the original.
on June 1, 2013
My first Charger had broken right at the input to the Kindle and it was sparking electricity at me every time I used it. Do you know how many chargers they have in Amazon's catalog? Lots! I had no idea which one to order and I thought this one looked right, so I ordered it. Bingo! Just like the original one. Works great, couldn't have chosen better if I had known what I was doing. Love it. Now I am back to playing my games again and happy as a Lark.
on January 27, 2013
I ordered this for my Kindle Fire 1st Gen as I was having charging issues. It did not work and ultimately had my Kindle Fire replaced at no charge ( yay Amazon). When I received mt 2nd gen Fire this charger would charge but was very slow and got very hot. I reported the issue to Gomadic and they replaced it for free with a stronger charger.
on August 29, 2015
I needed to replace my Kindle 1 charger. The charger I got is not the right one even though this is the one I ordered. It is "female" not "male" like the kindle charger was. Also, this picture is deceiving. I have the identical exact kindle than in the picture but the charger fits to the left of the kindle, not the right. By this picture here the charger is being plugged into the volume button! I'm not sure if I got the tip exchange charger by mistake, it seems that way, but the picture here doesn't make me feel any more confident about re-ordering it to see if I get the right one this time so I'll go for the universal cell phone charger that others recommended.
on April 16, 2012
The tip from my original got stepped on and broke. Finding stuff for the 1st generation Kindles is getting harder, but this popped up and looked acceptable. I think it actually works better. Maybe it's just a better fit. Other than being black, it works great.
on August 12, 2014
Connection distorted and dysfunctional within 2weeks. Another cable to be discarded.
I'm using my appetite most times I'm recharging, so I shouldn't have to baby the cable. Had to buy three new ones to keep extras on hand. At least you can replace the wires.
Oh, crap! You can't replace the cable! Tells you how many of these I've had to replace. Fortunately I do own three with replaceable cables so it won't be a loss.
on July 17, 2015
My first generation Kindle which has audio so I love it suffered an abrupt severance of the AC charging cord. I could charge it with the computer cord, but that was a pain. When I first looked for this cord I couldn't find it and wasted money on Paperwhite. I had to return the Fire because it was just too bulky and heavy. I didn't need another phone. Thanks Gomadic!!