5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for med students or anyone who needs to learn
Published on November 12, 2003 by Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars The Gold Standard for EKG texts? Get a second opinion!
Dr. Dubin's classic manual has become the most popular EKG text among members of the medical profession. Dr. Dubin's book takes a lot of the stress out of the formidable task of learning EKGs through his lighthearted and systematic lesson-based approach. This book covers the basics of EKGs, and provides helpful lessons on rate, rhythm, and basic arrythmias.
As...
Published on May 12, 2003 by Brian M. Benway

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for med students or anyone who needs to learn, November 12, 2003
Reader (Walnut Creek, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book for nursing or medical students, or anyone who needs to learn EKGs/ECGs. I'm a physician and read EKGs every day and I've never seen another text that was able to teach me the necessary concepts so painlessly. Yes, it *IS* written as if the reader is a third grader and I'm sure that offends some people who have spent their life in school or who want to make people believe that EKG reading is some magical art. Personally I enjoy being taken by the hand and shown everything like it was the first time I'd seen it. I think the teaching method presented here is quit effective for the average Joe or Josephine. Reading EKGs is not magic and this book shows you that anyone *can* really do it. I would strongly encourage anyone who has had trouble grasping the concept of EKGs to pick this book up, and that includes physicians, nurses, students, EMTs, medical technicians, respiratory therapists, heck, ANYONE who wants to learn to read EKGs! I give it my highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, December 29, 2000
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
I've worked in SICU for almost 15 years. I like surgical patients because when they "go down," it's usually pretty clear why. Frankly CCU type patients always trouble me. Like most ICU nurses I can pick out your basic abnormal beats and rhythms, but when it comes to a "designer" strip, I head next door to MICU where the "whiz kids" of the EKG monitor hang out! One of the best books I've ever come across for learning almost everything you could possibly want to know about an EKG--either the monitor or the 12-lead--is this book. It's been around at least since the 70s, when I first came across it, and it's still around. Take it from me, there's a good reason for it too. Every few years, I try to review the book again to refresh my memory on "everything you ever wanted to know about EKGs and then some," and I always enjoy the experience. I come away with a sense that I've truely gain something. The book is designed on a programed learning format--an old method perhaps, but in my opinion, still the best one--so you learn a small incriment of information, are asked a question about it and then given the answer immediately thereafter. It really sticks in the memory well, and when reviewing even up to 5 years later, I find I can get through the book rapidly even with the topics I don't regularly use. The book also containes some useful "cards" which can be reproduced and carried conveniently in ones pocket. I still have a set I had laminated for me years ago. Very definately a book worth buying, one worth keeping, and one worth reviewing from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better in full color!!, November 14, 2003
Mikel (North Olmsted, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
Over the last 30 years of my medical career, I have read just about every book published on EKG interpretation. As a full-time educator, I appreciate simplicity, especially when it is totally practical. Of all the texts I've seen, Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" is simply the best. He explains intricate concepts with simplistic beauty, using a unique programmed learning style and original figures. The new color 6th Edition adds many completely new diagrams, making learning even easier. It also features new sections on the autonomic nervous system, more detailed information on dysrhythmias, and a nifty set of "Quick Reference Sheets," of course, in full color! If you don't learn "all there is to know" about EKGs from this book, you will never really understand them the rest of your career... Mikel A. Rothenberg, M.D., Emergency Care Educator, Medicolegal Consultant, Professor of Emergency Medical Services -- American College of Prehospital Medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The teaching methodology used is just amazing, December 12, 2005
Hello:

The most important reason I bought Dr. Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKG's was because I knew nothing about EKG's, and I wanted to learn not the basics, but the most important aspects of EKG. I am an EMT-Basic, but I often work on EMS with EMT-Paramedic level fellows, so my contact with EKG and patients with heart disease is very common.

Looking for the wide variety of EKG books available, I realized that I needed a book that could not only teach the topics I really needed, but that would do it in such an easy way that an EKG newbie like me could end up understanding complex things as myocardial infarction and heart axis.

Dr. Dubin uses a very interesting methodology for teaching. Each page of this book has a highly detailed practical illustration, and the rest of the page is composed of 3 o 4 parragraphs where, using the most practical language available, he explains the concepts related to the illustration. It is impressive how Dr. Dubin manages to explain complicated things so easily by using the detailed illustrations and the correct language.

What's more, Dr. Dubin focuses on making the reader understand why an EKG tracing looks the way it does, and does not rely on memorization of the morphology of waves to justify a diagnose. This is critically important, because once you see an EKG tracing, you clearly understand the details of the pathology showed and that gives you a precise idea of what's happening inside that patient's heart and what treatment can help the patient's outcome.

If you want to introduct yourself into EKG's, then this is the book you need. But don't misunderstand, this book is not basic, it really deals with complex topics too; the thing is that they seem so easy...

This book has really helped me perform better on my job in the pre-hospital setting, and I'm really grateful about that.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Gold Standard for EKG texts? Get a second opinion!, May 12, 2003
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
As helpful as this book is, however, this text is incomplete. The section on axis determination is not fully instructive, and the text does not offer enough clinical scenarios, as well as it omits a fair number of common abnormalities seen on EKG.
Thaler's text, titled The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need is a more instructive and comprehensive text, and--in the humble opinion of this doctor--is a superior text for those looking to develop a functional understanding of EKGs.

5.0 out of 5 stars "How to Beat Everybody in EKG", January 2, 2005
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
I read this book in my third year in medical school. When I first started, I was skeptical because it looked too simple. After finishing the book and attending my rotation, I realized the value of this book. I was able to rapidly read any EKG with no problem. Some of my classmates thought that I had attended a special class!! I have compared t to many other books, this is the best one because of its simple approach and the way that it teaches you. You will never forget how to read an EKG.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Came I Saw I Kicked It's a@#, December 18, 2001
Raj Jayaram (Broken Arrow, OK (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
From the time i started learning about EKG's, till the point and time this book was bestowed apon me i had no clue on how to read an EKG. I was always always confused. I never knew top from bottom and just tried to memorize as much as i could. That all changed the day this book came in the mail. In a matter of 4 hours i had read more than half it like a story book. The repititions of words (important ones) and relentless number of pictures that were in it made it impossible not to understand. even my mother who is an RN knows how to read EKG's now. THIS BOOK IS JUST SIMPLY OUTSTANDING IN EVERY ASPECT.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only EKG book a medical student needs, June 24, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
As a medical student interested in cardiology, I can say this is by far the best book on the subject of EKGs I've ever read. It may not have every possible pattern, but it lays everything out in a clear, concise, and easy to read and remember format that in invaluable when time is a limiting factor. A true life-saver for any student who wants maximum learning and efficient use of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best EKG Book On The Market!, February 11, 2002
Amazon Customer "joeyccrn" (Pekin, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
As a critical care and cardiac nurse for over 25 years, I have read and studied all kinds of books on EKG's. THIS is the book of books if you really are serious about reading and interperting 12 Lead EKG's AND arrhythmias! I am self taught and this book is the one that taught me. I frequently teach EKG's now to the newer nurses and I ALWAYS use Dr. Dubin's book. It is simply the very best! It is easy to understand and the illustrations are great! It is a self learning book so you can study at your own pace. There is simply no better book around!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE BOOK, December 16, 2002
This review is from: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition (Paperback)
This is definitely one book to read. It has many practical ways of reading charts as well as understanding the underlying causes. Book starts in reverse, first shows how to read the charts and than some theory. Most of the situations are explained with reasons why the charts are showing certain forms but there are also some situations that author does not explain why the chart has the shape that it has, so you just have to take it as is. I learned a lot of tips from the book. Once you start reading it ,it is difficult to put it aside. It is so smooth. There is not much theory in the book, i.e no electrical theory. If you do not have background from physiology books, even though you may be able to read the charts you may not be able to understand physics behind it, in other words this is not a full substitute for Physiology subject. I wish author with his perfect ability to simplify the things could also include some theory.

Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition
Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition by Dale Dubin (Paperback - October 15, 2000)
$44.00 $35.09