4.0 out of 5 stars Great Biochemistry Review for the Boards but not for class
If you are a MS1 I would suggest using Lippincott's Biochemistry. However, when it comes to the Boards this is the book you want as following Goljan's tradition of integration in not only includes relevant Biochm but also alot of Pathology. I would suggest to use this book for review alongside with the Rapid Review Pathology and Goljan's audio lectures.
Published on March 30, 2007 by Alvaro E. Galvis

3.0 out of 5 stars lots of words...i like pictures
for those who want more detailed information, this could be a good review book. I however like pictures and easy to understand tables. When I opened this book I wanted to shut it again it was so discouraging to look at! I'm not sure this is terribly ideal for reviewing for USMLE :/ maybe better off as a supplement to your biochem lectures
Published on February 18, 2010 by Mary W.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Biochemistry Review for the Boards but not for class, March 30, 2007
This review is from: Rapid Review Biochemistry: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent USMLE Review!, February 5, 2008
J (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
When I first took biochemistry, it was the 1st term of medical school. I knew absolutely nothing when I was done, and felt like I was just memorizing a bunch of random facts/pathways.

After taking 90% of our basic science curriculum, and then reading this book, it tied in Biochemistry with all of the rest of my knowledge very well, and in a very easy to read outline format with EXCELLENT diagrams and charts. If you care about biochemistry at all for your boards prep, this is a great choice. Also, co-authored by Goljan, and you can see his hand all over this book with the clinical tie-ins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapid Review Series: the in-thing, August 7, 2007
I have heard so much about the RR series, and I decided to give it a try, and boy, was I impressed? Talk about how splendiferous this RR Biochemistry is. Also, I have heard so much about Goljan, Goljan, Goljan. So within 5 days or so of laying my hands on the RR Biochem, I ordered for the Pathology brother written by Goljan. They say the man sure knows how to tie Path, Biochem, etc together. I can't wait to get my hands on that as well. RR Biochem rocks, and I am now almost certain RR Path rocks more, if what I hear from reviews follows

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book for Review and for class, January 5, 2010
Biochemistry was my first Med-School Class and I was conflicted on whether to get BRS or Rapid Review. I am extremely pleased that I purchased this book. It has everything important, and a great website with over 200 questions. The questions at the end and online are challenging and offer detailed, concise explanations on why a right answer is right, and why wrong answers are wrong. The text is marvelous. The margins boast a plethora of high-yield facts that actually did come up on the Biochemistry Shelf exam from the NBME. The diagrams are excellent and furthermore, this book serves as a suitable guide to use while taking the actual class, not just for the shelf or usmle review. It's short length also makes it convenient to study for exams when one does not have much time, which I can definitely say, books like lippincott's illustrated reveiew do not cater for. It depends on your study style and how much time you give yourself though. This is "hands down" THE BEST biochemistry review book anyone could own. The book really integrates clinical topics well, and it covers all topics and prepares one to take the shelf exam and by association, the USMLE [for biochemistry questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best part is STUDENT CONSULT Access, December 23, 2009
Biochem is extremely cramming subject .Kaplan was way too big for me to use for boards so i tried this .Best approach was to use online access of this book and did 350 Q and then search book along with relevant ques , printed important notes directly from book and biochem started making connections in brain.Famous Goljan also contribute in this book - don`t read so much in detail concentrate on figures and charts throughout book they are extremily helpful and high yield and you`ll do just fine.Good Luck

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Biochem Review, January 24, 2010
Kushal Naik "_KN" (all over the place, USA) - See all my reviews
I've bought and read lippincot's, BRS, HY, and this book and well I have to say that RR provides the best overall review in the easiest to understand wording and layout. The new BRS is alright but RR does a better job. I found lippencott's to be a bit vague in explaining concepts and overly relied on pictures to explain what should have been done with text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for boards, April 30, 2009
Fantastic review of key biochemistry principles. Would highly recommend, but not as an adjunct to coursework. Primarily useful only for boards. This is a pretty dense book, but it's nice to have biochemistry distilled down to about 200 pages. (The rest are supplements and practice questions, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Study Book, March 15, 2009
fantastic book if you like bullets and high yield tables and figures. maybe a little too much detail in text for Step 1, but it is easily sortable into high and high-er yield, especially with the tables and figures every other page or so. Excellent figures. Much, much better than BRS if you ask me. I bought BRS and dumped it. Not helpful as a primary resource if you haven't taken the class yet, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but its no RR path, June 7, 2010
Brad (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews
Bought this book to study for the USMLE Step 1 exam because I had used Rapid Review Pathology: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access and Dr. Goljan helped to write this book as well. It is good and not too long, but it is nothing compared to the Pathology book, which I think is pretty much the best book ever. If you want to read a whole book on Biochem. for Step 1 review, this book is probably better than BRS, which is the other book I have used, but I actually like the biochem section of medEssentials for the USMLE Step 1 (Kaplan Medessenitals for the USMLE Step 1) better. If you haven't bought RR path yet though, buy it and read it all through MS2 because it is the best book ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Review Book, December 14, 2010
This book has a great balance of condensed facts and clinical correlations. It's perfect for those instances when you just don't have time to read the actual biochem book. I will say that the organization of some chapters is a bit unusual, but because the content is in bullet-point format, it is easy to skip around.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rapid Review Biochemistry: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e
Rapid Review Biochemistry: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e by John W. Pelley (Paperback - November 29, 2006)
Used & New from: $1.30