5.0 out of 5 stars Married....
Published on May 25, 2001 by intentaccess

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining ....
Eve and Roarke are back in the 4th installment of Roberts' 'In Death' series. This one has the newly married Eve, investigate a string of on-the-surface unrelated suicides - one of which occurs on her honeymoon.

Published on April 14, 2006 by virago

5.0 out of 5 stars Married...., May 25, 2001
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This is the forth book in this really exciting series. Eve and Roarke were just married,. They are a great couple, both dynamic, strong willed and Roarke has the need to take care of Eve, which she fights all the way. The humor and progress of intimacy throughout their relationship and the series is extraordinary. This book starts on their honeymoon at one of Roarke 's Luxurious hotels off planet that he is turning into a lavish gambling resort. It is still under construction but this way other than the workers the couple had the place to themselves. A young man hangs himself and this does seem to be totally out of character for this man. When Eve and Roarke return home there are a couple suicides which seem to match this pattern. Then even one in Washington. Eve must find the connection between these suicides and prove it is actually murder. This goes deep into the brain waves and a connection to another of Roarke companies. This was really a surprise at the end and an excellent book. I highly recommend this book and all in the series. If you are new to the series start at the very beginning and you will be very pleased!

4.0 out of 5 stars A darker book in the series, January 13, 2000
RAPTURE IN DEATH is the darkest of the J.D.Robb Eve Dallas novels. We see more of the detectives terrifying past life. Roarke, the gorgeous Irishman with the criminal past (and shady present), is now Eve's husband. He is shown at his worst, in an unsettling scene. Peabody, Mavis, and Feeny are fun as always, but there's a nasty layer to this book. Still, it's well written, and even though the characters are often shown in an unfavorable light, RAPTURE IN DEATH is a welcome addition to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always a winner!, July 28, 2000
I have read most everything Nora Roberts has written, including her Language of Love Series from years ago... I am now reading the JD Robb series featuring Lt. Eve Dallas.
WHAT an imagination Roberts has! To imagine the future through her eyes... I love the way Eve and Roarke interact. She is her own person and he loves her for this-never trying to make her something else. And, at the same time, she is able to admit that she needs someone too!
I loved Rapture in Death. This is perhaps the best "Death" book so far. The VR Goggles were a trip! The idea of manipulating musical undertones to control a person's behavior... Where does she get her ideas? So believable!

5.0 out of 5 stars A COMPELLING AND CONVINCING READING, December 14, 2001
Voice performer Susan Ericksen is both compelling and convincing in her reading of this fourth book in the "In Death" series by noted author Nora Roberts writing as J. D. Robb. As was the case with the three previous tales, "Rapture In Death" is a skillful blend of mystery, romance and hi jinks.
While Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows her way around her New York precinct and has seen what few can imagine, she's not come up against three apparent suicides - a sharp engineer, a questionable attorney, and a maybe, maybe not politician.
Is it possible that someone or something is causing these people to take their own lives? What does our intrepid detective discover as she probes the lives of the lately departed?
It's the year 2058 and Eve is supposed to be on her honeymoon with her new spouse at a resort on another planet. After all, this is 50 years hence so we can add sky glides, increased life spans, and the other someday-will-bes that we now read about in sci-fi.
The addition of techno thrills spices her story as Roberts spins another spellbinding yarn. This is a good one to listen to while curled up by the fire on a cold winter's night.
- Gail Cooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Even honeymoons have to end, June 12, 2004
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The previous novel dealt with the preparations for the wedding between Eve and Roarke, and the "minor" inconvenience for the former of having to keep her best friend, Mavis, out of jail. This book starts with the honeymoon, which surprised me, since the author did not give any descriptions of the eagerly awaited wedding. We get a glimpse here and there of a few aspects of the ceremony in this book, but I think there were a lot of readers interested in a more thorough description of the event.
Lieutenant Eve Dallas does not even get to finish her honeymoon in peace. In the last stage of their trip, Eve is spending some time in one of the many resorts off-planet Roarke owns and is involved in a case when an employee is found hanged in his room. Even though there are no reasons for this person to commit suicide, there is no other logical conclusion, so that is the ruling at the time. Back home and after resuming her duties, Eve has to spend a day in court facing a pushy and crafty defense attorney, but her hate turns to surprise when he is found hours later as a victim of an apparent suicide. When she discovers that a politician with no reasons to kill himself jumped from a building, the coincidence becomes too much and Eve gets deeper and deeper into one of the toughest cases she has faced yet.
J.D. Robb maintains a high level of quality in terms of writing, a fast-paced action and a good character development. At least for me what happens with the relationships between the characters is half the fun. Peabody is given a more prominent role as Eve's aid after the last case, in which a criminal working from within the police department used the young cop for his evil purposes. We even get to take another step towards understanding Eve's childhood, since in this installment she remembers more facts about what her father did to her and about how she ultimately killed him. This futuristic series has clearly got my attention and it will not let go!

5.0 out of 5 stars J.D. Robb "in Death" Series - A Great Read, June 14, 1999
By A Customer
I have read just about everything Nora Roberts has written and have just discovered her as J.D. Robb. She's wonderful! I love the romance, especially the way Rourke takes care of Eve - with or without her knowing (I want a Rourke too); the humour - the quiet little mutterings under their breath, and the quiet smiles; the mystery - how Eve puts herself into the crime scene and works through everything and of course her aide Peabody. I like the growing friendship and respect between two strong women who can defend themselves yet not be afraid to be women and have a healthy relationship with a man.
Robb has it all in her books. I read her first one and went back to buy the entire series. I can hardly wait to get to the next book. I just hope that by the time I'm caught up there will be another one in print.
Whether she goes by Nora Roberts or J.D. Robb this lady knows how to get your interest and keep it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining ...., April 14, 2006

This book is entertaining, however I didnt like it as much as the previous 3 books. Maybe, I'm just getting tired of Roberts' style :) It really amuses me the number of ways she finds to describe Roarke at the beginning of each book - saint and sinner, poet and pirate, angel and fallen angel (? no, i'm not as creative as Roberts') and another thing that amuses me (or irritates) is the fascination every single character has for Eve. So, she's a tough cop with a battered background, there must be tons of them out there and she certainly doesnt deserve the intense psychoanalysis that every other character indulges in regarding her. But, knowing Roberts' romance background, all this is just par for the course.

The thriller elements are done in typical Roberts style, giving just enough and no more. I'm a person who really likes knowing the details of any element a writer introduces, be it space travel or even forensic investigations and a writer like Roberts who glosses over details leaves me wanting more.

However, all said and done, the one thing that brings me back to reading her books are the characters. She rarely gets anybody wrong, and the humor, independance of and interaction between her major characters esp. Eve, Roarke and Mavis make for a highly entertaining read. So, if you know what to expect with Robb/Roberts this one is good enough, if not read some of the others with better storylines ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but Frustratingly Vague Series, February 16, 2009
As an long time reader of serial fiction, one thing I've learned is not to read the books in too close of a succession. The writer's flaws become more easily apparent that way. And having discovered the In Death series only about 6 months ago, I followed this advice fairly well. I read book 1, waited about a month and a half and read book 2. Book 3 I read about a month after that. And now, I've completed book 4 about a month and a half later. If was probably in the middle of book 3 when the problems became apparent. This doesn't speak well for a series nearing 30 books. Though, I hope that with time and experience Robb/Roberts improved.

First, everything is rather vague. As I'm reading, I don't have a really good "visual" of anything in my mind. All I have are impressions. With very few exceptions, I don't have a good picture of the characters or locations. I suppose this is a valid way for an author to provide description, but I prefer more. I'm left feeling unfulfilled. This is a particular hindrance given that the setting is several decades into the future. Other than flying cars, what's futuristic about this future?

When Robb gets in over her head in some detail, she just cuts away. A prime example was in RAPTURE. An angry Roarke literally scares the heck out of character that has used him. Instead of using this opportunity to show us something specific about Roarke, Robb provides some vague description of how Roarke learned all kinds of nasty things growing up and then cuts away. Next time we see Roarke, he's calmly smoking a cigarette, while his "victim" is huddling in a corner. It's never made clear if Roarke's "assault" was physical or just verbal. Did he do "nasty things" or just promise to.

Second, the narrator gets lost. Generally, the story is being told from the point of view of Dallas. But out of no where, Robb injects the point of some other character. Sometimes even a minor one. Often multiple POVs are expressed in one scene. My guess is, Robb wants us to know what that other character's thoughts/impressions are. That's fine, but jumping in and out of various people's heads rather randomly strikes me as lazy.

For example, in RAPTURE, Dallas and Roarke are having a party. Dallas is leading a guest down the hall to her office. The scene if from her POV. Yet, suddenly we're in the guest's head where he's noting how "grand" and expensive things are. Robb did great with a follow up remark from Dallas where she answers an unasked question. Why can't she just do that more often instead of jarring the reader with a random POV?

If Robb wants us to know what that other character is thinking, she should find another way of doing it. Or, it's not that important. Or, Robb needs to rethink having Dallas as the sole narrator of the story.

Another particularly bad example of random transition can also be read in RAPTURE. The killer pulls a gun on Dallas and very next thing we're up in Roarke's head. No transition. No page break. Just the very next paragraph. I suppose we can blame the editors for this, but next to similar problems, it's hard to say what is the fault of the editors and what belongs to Robb.

Third, the lack of character development for Roarke. He was a rounded character in Book 1, which read more like a traditional romance. But since he seems more like a prop for the development of Dallas than anything else. His only thoughts are of her. The only life of his own he has is that he goes out of town every so often to make money. And Dallas can't sleep.

After 4 books, I'm still no clearer on why he chose Dallas. She's foul mouthed, unsophisticated, "uncouth" relative to him and somewhat hypocritical. (She gets annoyed at the possiblity of his doing something illegal, yet she breaks the rules to take advantage of his illegal hardware when she needs to.) I get that the have similar backgrounds, but he's made himself into something different. He even says several times, that he didn't like cops. So just what is it about her that makes her special? Sure, the two obviously have great sex. But they don't seems to have much in common. Nor do they seem particularly interested in each others' lives unless there is a benefit to them, particularly (ie Dallas using Roarke technology. Or, is Roarke into anyting that will damage Dallas's career.) On the other hand, Roarke only seems to care if Dallas is working too hard or eating enough. Maybe he'd make a better mother.

Often, Dallas will discuss something bothering her about the case. But I've yet to see her take an interest in what Roarke might be doing. I know this is fiction featuring Dallas. I just wish I felt that the relationship between her and Roarke were more believable.

Fourth, I understand the format is that of a procedural, but starting with book 2, I was bored a good deal of the time. They read exactly the same. And the killer is usually obvious soon after he/she is introduced.

Five, I get that Roarke is richer than G-d. But does he have to own everything? Meaning Dallas has easy access to just about any place she likes. And does he have to had slept with just about every good looking female on the planet? Which makes one wonder even more - great sex aside - why Dallas?

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the others, November 18, 2000
By A Customer
The fourth book of the In death series by J.D. Robb it starts at the end of Eve's honeymoon at the Olympus one resort. When an egineer is dicovered dead in his room by his roommate. It is ooobviously self termination and Eve goes home back to new York ehere she has to testify for a trial. Then the defendants lawyer is discovered dead also ruled self termination. Then a controversial politician kills heimself.Why are all these brilliant people with graet futures killing themselves.Eve has very little time to find the answer. This book is great but I suggest that you start at the beggining if the series it is less confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Superior Entertainment, January 7, 2002
"Rapture in Death" is the 4th instalment in Robb's futuristic "In Death" series, and I am most impressed. I started reading Robb's books when I ran out of Nora Roberts books (literally, I read all the available titles) and I have NOT been disappointed. I recommend these books to anyone and everyone because the seamless mix of genres (mystery, suspense, romance, police procedure, science-fiction) means there's something in these books for all types!
In this book, newly married Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD and billionaire Roarke are interrupted on their off-planet honeymoon by an apparent suicide. A young engineer working on Roarke's new resort (where E&R were honeymooning) seems to have come home for the day, made a noose and hung himself. However, the look on his face, one of utter rapture, disturbs Eve.
Upon Eve's return to New York, two more apparent self-terminations occur, and after being present at one of them, Eve is quite sure that these are not what they seem. Eve is thrown into the world of virtual reality and mind control, where your own mind can become someone else's weapon. Eve is determined to find the murderer responsible for these deaths, but the closer she comes to the truth, the more danger she, and Roarke, are in!
As always, Robb's mystery is thrilling and fun. Eve and Roarke's romance continues to steam up the pages. Eve and Roarke are among my favourite couples of all time - Eve's reluctant tenderness, Roarke's utter devotion to his "Darling Eve" and the mind-numbing passion and life-altering love they share make them fascinating to observe. Getting to know Eve and Roarke has been a rewarding experience; one I plan to continue until there are no more books to read! This book is fantastic. So don't hesitate, buy the entire "In Death" series today (I'm up to book #10 and still am LOVING every one) - you won't regret it!