Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 14, 2004
As a naturopathic physician, I have a rather extensive library of natural health books. The author's insight into disease, and prevention of disease is particularly insightful. Anyone who suffers from a chronic condition should read this book. Many chronic conditions are covered; but even if your's are not, the information presented is still valuable in the pursuit of overall health. It is truly a gem.
55 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2001
I really liked this book. Lots of great info about how basic minerals effect your body and keep you healthy or make you sick. It gave me lots of new ideas.
It's more than a little gory at times. I guess doing 18,000 autopsies, gave the author sort of a callous view of life. The descriptions of what the Inca and Jack the Ripper did to their captives is not for the weak at heart. Hint: a deficiency of minerals causes strange cravings.
One new idea I really liked was the documentation of zinc deficiency in mothers that become pregnant as a cause of Down's syndrome. Apparently one can demonstrate this in the lab with monkeys or simians. Healthy babies then introduce a zinc deficiency in the diet and get Downs syndrome, then add the zinc back and get normal babies again. Wow!
A second idea: adding rare earths to the diet of mice and other animals extends life span by 2X! Wow, again! Excellent bibliography, but I was unable to locate this one paper on feeding rare earths to get 2X life span.
Excellent basic book.
I highly recomend.
Leon L. Hulett
0Comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 27, 2002
I always liked Joel Wallach's approach to health. He tells it like it is. I like how he disses the doctors who poo-poo nutritional supplementation.
In this book, Wallach lays out all kinds of newspaper clippings from various newspaper articles about doctors and famous people who died at young ages. Those clippings are appropriately placed in the section where the major mineral deficiency was the cause of death, such as chromium for a diabetic coma, etc.
This book is a wonderful source of information on minerals, and their functions. It also lays out all kinds of info on deficiency diseases, and how minerals can help certain ailments.
This section also covers a bunch of different alternative approaches to wellness, such as Ayurvedic medicine, the Dean Ornish Diet, and many others. The information is in depth, and covers a good amount of material for a book focused on mineral supplementation.
This book pretty much has it all, and is a great read if you wish to gain knowledge on the role of minerals in our health and well being.
0Comment|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
This book has information that hasn't even been heard by 99.99% of the world's doctors yet. If you want to learn about the effects of praseodymium, yttrium and many other super rare and strange elements and the effects of elements at curing hundreds of diseases that currently have no cure, read this book! You'll learn that chromium and magnesium can cure hypoglycemia, or that vanadium can cure diabetes. All sorts of amazing things are in this book!
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2013
Very interesting to know that a selenium deficiency is involved in muscular dystrophy! Selenium and other minerals/vitamins and associated with heart disease. This book goes into many chronic diseases and what mineral(s) may be responsible. Highly recommended.
on January 15, 2013
Not a diet book by any means, but more of a guide to deep nutrition. This book takes you on a journey into complete wellness. Show's you what trace elements do in your body and why they are so essential for every organ of the body. Also explains enzyme co-factors. I grow my own food and it's amazing to me how much alike we are to plant's.
on January 20, 2009
I bought this book after seeing Dr. Joel Wallach on TV speaking about it. I was familiar with Dr. Wallach from his "Dead Doctors" tape of years ago & I read this book from cover to cover (as much as one could given some highly technical info). It served to reinforce my belief that in large, 'you are what you eat', & that our current food supply does not contain adequate nutrition as many 'professionals' would have you believe. I plan to re-read this book once or twice more, so I will not be passing it along as I do with so many of the books that I've read.
on August 10, 2005
I HAVE 7 YEARS OF HIGHER EDUCATION AND THIS WAS THE MOST INFORMATIVE BOOK I HAVE EVER READ, AND THE INFORMATION IS PRICLESS.
66 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2015
In 2011 I was told around 18 times by medical professionals that, without their treatment, I would fairly shortly die a slow and painful death from throat cancer (non smoker). After their slash, burn and poison treatment I was fairly well convinced that they were right. On recovery I explored the Internet seeking to improve my 50% five year batting average forecast. In mid 2014 I listened to Dr Joel Wallach ND, talk on nutrition, since then I have read most of his books, followed his advice as much as I can and I have to say that I remain really impressed. I no longer worry about dying from the cancer returning because Dr Wallach has explained to me in his books and talks the science of health, nutrition and longevity, and given me access to the raw materials that are essential for my body.

Unfortunately I still lose far too many friends and family to preventable chronic diseases like cancer and diabetes in part because I can't get them to read his books or follow my Facebook group Warrior Immune System that I set up to help present his work. Dr Wallach co-authored this book with his wife Dr Ma Lan
on November 28, 2012
THIS BOOK IS NOT AN IN-DEPTH SCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS OF TRACE MINERALS RESEARCH. DON'T BE FOOLED!!!

I AGREE WITH BILL WHO WROTE ALSO A REVIEW HERE. - Puzzled??? Uh, YEAH. THE BOOK IS MOSTLY A COLLECTION OF CUT OUT NEWSPAPER OBITUARIES OF VARIOUS YOUNG TO MIDDLE AGED PEOPLE WHO DIED OF SIMILAR CAUSES. THE AUTHOR EVENTUALLY MAKES CORRELATIONS BY CHAPTER 11(WHICH IS ONLY 55 PAGES LONG OUT OF A 496 PAGE BOOK!!?) AND ATTRIBUTES MANY OF THESE DEATHS TO VARIOUS MACRO AND TRACE MINERAL DEFICIENCIES.

I just think that the title of the book should have been named differently to reflect the actual content. The book is short of elaborating into the both the area of "Rare Earths"(Trace Minerals Research) and the "Cures" which may be obtained thereof. The book is more geared towards pointing out how so many Americans including prominent athletes and public figures are dying young of similar causes. The title could have just as well been "Only the Good Die Young: The Grim Legacy of Chronic Mineral Deficiency". Now THAT would have been a more appropriate title for this book. Perhaps Joel Wallach ought to write another book that just expands on the research into the minerals themselves and any testing that has been done with them through universities or independent RESEARCH.

From the Title and information I've seen reviewed about this book, I would assume that it would be mostly devoted to explaining the science and connections between rare earth minerals(micro and trace minerals) in relation to human health. I expected in depth analysis with case studies and details on biochemical research into the uses of micro and macro trace minerals in the treatment and cure of disease. I was hoping for data to include a distillation of IN-DEPTH research from many sources all gathered together in one book. I desire to understand the applications of the use of other minerals such as Rubidium, Cesium, Strontium, Germanium, Gallium, Indium Etc... The information I am talking about is rather obscure and inaccessible.

To the medical establishment its probably considered mostly fringe science but if you study anecdotal evidence through a cursory search of the various elements, you will see that some of the rare mineral elements that we never hear about have been identified as possessing amazing health properties. I will admit that it appears that the Author does make correlations between the lack of certain minerals and disease, but again I find that the material here is severely lacking. It does not include enough actual reference to laboratory research with detailed chemical analysis. That left me feeling dissatisfied right off the bat.

Oh well. I admit that there is still some value here just not what I expected.
66 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse