5.0 out of 5 stars An album beyond compare with eclectic, innovative artists., December 17, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW) (Audio CD)
This CD collects some of the most innovative and eclectic artists in popular music today performing in raw, unedited acoustic sets from KCRW public radio in Southern California. It is a compilation beyond compare. The late Jeff Buckley sings an inspiring and moving rendition of 'So Real.' Radiohead performs 'Subterranean Homesick Alien' for the first time. Tom Waits sings a song he wrote with his wife with such beauty and grace that I was moved to tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamond in the rough, December 6, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW) (Audio CD)
Somehow I stumbled upon this record searching around on Amazon, and bought it solely for the live Tom Waits recording (a beautiful, sad, heart-wrenching song).
What I got, is easily one of my very favorite CD's. What an eclectic mix covering the entire spectrum of musical flavors. I have discovered a handful of artists that I had never ever heard before, that are wonderful. Friends come to our house and hear this CD and always want to borrow it. (I had to replace it once already after lending it out).
I am a music addict and own hundreds of CDs, and this has got to be in my top three. I couldn't recommend any more wholeheartedly. You will love this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very lucky find, June 21, 2000
This review is from: Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW) (Audio CD)
I came across this series of albums by chance, and decided to start with the 4th installation because it included a live Radiohead cut. Overall, this CD is great, not only for the live performances by well-known acts but also for the surprises from groups like Ozomatli and Cafe Tecuba. The assortment of artists makes for wonderful and varied listening. Plus, it also never hurts to have a live cut from Jeff Buckley either. I will definitely check out the previous CDs in this series, and you should too.

4.0 out of 5 stars or mabe 1 star, November 1, 2001
D. A. Hosek (Santa Monica, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW) (Audio CD)
I alternate between thinking this is the best of the series and the worst of the series. There are a few tracks which I have a hard time listening to, and others that I just adore. Highlights for me include Jeff Buckley and Soul Coughing. Ozomatli doesn't do anything for me and the Joan Osborne track is similar to versions I have on other in-studio compilations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not available to download anywhere, September 25, 2011
RezisluhA (New York, NY (formerly London, UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW) (Audio CD)
Face it, buying cds today is less practical than downloading but somethings just aren't available in any other format other than compact disc - like this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars No one else gets it, makes you wonder what ..., July 15, 2014
This review is from: Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW) (Audio CD)
No one else gets it, makes you wonder what their thinking of by controlling or manipulating what gets played, another reason that NPR should set the standard that all media should follow.

Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW)
Rare On Air, Vol. 4 (KCRW) by KCRW Rare On Air (Series) (Audio CD - 1998)
Rate and Discover Movies