|Digital List Price:||$2.99|
|Print List Price:||$14.99|
Save $14.99 (100%)
Ratcatcher (John Purkiss Thriller Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
His debut novel is the acclaimed thriller RATCATCHER, featuring the hunter of rogue spies John Purkiss. Four further Purkiss thrillers, DELIVERING CALIBAN, JOKERMAN, TUNDRA and CRONOS RISING, are also available. Another series, with former assassin Martin Calvary, began with SEVERANCE KILL and continues with ANNIHILATION MYTHS.
Tim is the author of the Joe Venn American crime thrillers OMEGA DOG, DELTA GHOST, ALPHA KILL, SIGMA CURSE, EPSILON CREED and GAMMA BLADE, as well as the short espionage novel REUNION.
To sign up to Tim Stevens's mailing list and get two free novels, DELIVERING CALIBAN and DELTA GHOST, as well as a free John Purkiss short story, SPIKED, exclusive to subscribers, copy and paste this link into your browser: http://eepurl.com/zph89.
Top Customer Reviews
You see, I am a sucker for a good series: there is something so comfortable about slipping into a yarn with familiar characters. So it was with happy anticipation that I picked up the Kindle versions of all three John Purkiss stories by Stevens a couple of weeks ago.
I am here to tell you that I was more than satisfied when I finished tearing through them in a two-day espionage bender.
Stevens, a National Health physician in England, cranks out just about as good a spy tale as anybody in the racket.
In his "ratcatcher" books, the protagonist John Purkiss is a British intelligence agent who hunts other spies who have gone wrong. Purkiss works "off the books" -- the Queen pays the bills, but his counter-intelligence position is not officially affiliated with MI5, MI6 or any other British espionage agency.
Purkiss is the kind of guy you could enjoy meeting for a pint. When he runs after an enemy, he gets tired; when he gets hit in the head, he gets a headache and bleeds. He doesn't win every fight he's in and he doesn't always hit what he is shooting at. But he out-thinks his opponents sufficiently to keep the baddies in check.
In Ratcatcher, the first of the series, Purkiss is sent to Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, to look for a former colleague who murdered another agent but was released from prison after serving only a tiny part of his sentence. MI believes the baddie plans to disrupt a ceremonial meeting in which the presidents of Russia and Estonia will announce a rapprochement.Read more ›
Estonia: Fallon was seen in Tallinn and Purkiss is off to find him. A shadowy, undefined character referred to as the Jacobin knows he is coming and starts a series of events to stop him. Purkiss meets a group of British agents who are following some leads related to an upcoming event in Tallinn involving the Presidents of Estonia and Russia. They join forces and agree to share anything they learn.
Purkiss is no Teflon-coated super agent; sometimes he puts himself in the wrong place and suffers the consequences. Sometimes those consequences affect others around him. But he does seem realistic, as do all the other characters. Dialog is good and never seems forced. The characters themselves are well formed, but their voices are not always as distinct, making it difficult on occasion to know who is speaking when it is not defined.
The action scenes flow well and the underlying story is infectious, always pulling you along. These scenes are the best part of the book, high points which are well paced.
The formatting was an area of weakness: all the text was left-aligned, scene-change indicators were not always present, speech was sometimes difficult to assign to the players.
This book is not one I would take to the beach for an easy read as you may have to work to keep the story and characters aligned in your head, but I do believe it is worth the effort.
If I had a 3.Read more ›
Complementing the main character is Fallon, a complicated and shadowy figure from Purkiss's past. After he is alerted that Fallon is in town at the same time of an important summit meeting between the Russian and Estonian presidents, Purkiss goes to investigate this possibly dangerous coincidence.
The characters are well defined and believable, and just when you think you know what's happening there are twists in the story to keep you on the edge of your seat.
"Ratcatcher" is a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down. It reminded me of a James Bond movie in many ways because of all the twist and turns that the author took you on. Read morePublished 4 days ago by Kathie Leeper
This book keeps you on your toes, with much thrilling action. I would have given it an extra star if it wasn't so unrealisticPublished 16 days ago by DOG LOVER
Love all of Stevens books I've read..no bad ones..all moving and intrigue galorePublished 19 days ago by Sandera Dear-Deweese
Good thriller with an unexpected and yet predictable ending. The author tries to build suspense with a countdown and it goes right to the end of course.Published 24 days ago by bruce
I thoroughly enjoyed every paragraph. The descriptions were so detailed. You quickly become caught up in it all.Published 25 days ago by ALICE
The book was a fair read that needed better character development. This book was nothing to write home about but was an OK read.Published 1 month ago by Becky Janowski
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > War & Military
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Crime > Murder
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Crime > Vigilante Justice
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Military
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Assassinations
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Conspiracies
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Terrorism
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > War & Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Assassinations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Conspiracies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Pulp
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Terrorism