4.0 out of 5 stars Different But Not a Bad Game
Published on October 18, 2011 by Jacob Houser

2.0 out of 5 stars How to kill a franchise...
I love the Ratchet and Clank series. I jumped from PS2 to PS3, knowing some changes would occur. Some changes were better than others, but I still enjoyed the first two games for PS3. Then along came All 4 One. I am about 3/4 through the game at the moment and I can honestly say;

I HATE THIS GAME.

I'm going to finish it out of some vain hope that it...
Published on May 6, 2012 by DflyNya

4.0 out of 5 stars Different But Not a Bad Game, October 18, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I think we would all like another installment in the single player Ratchet and Clank franchise; However I am not going to bash insomniac games for trying something new. This product is as advertised, a 4-player co-op plat-former. Anyone who has taken the time to read or watch an advertisement for this game should have known that it wouldn't be like the rest of the RaC games. Overall it isn't a bad game, but still I have some nitpicking to do.

First off, because it is a 4-player game you do not have control over the camera. This gives the feeling that the game isn't as detailed as its single player predecessors. Still there are some beautiful levels that give the ratchet and clank feeling. Another thing that bugs me are the circles that float bellow the characters. It makes me feel like I am playing Marvel Ultimate Allience or something.

Now, I can't speak for everyone but RaC is sort of a guilty pleasure type of game because I am an adult. That is one of the things I like about the series is that, it is an 'e' rated game that can actually be enjoyed by EVERYONE. Still in this game the characters tend to say cheesy one-liners such as, "that was good teamwork buddy!" This makes you stop and realize that you are playing a children's game. The multi-player mode itself seems like a gimmick for little kids. I don't see myself telling my friends "man, drop that Madden 2012 bulls!@t so we can throw down on some ratchet and clank!" But if you do have children than this would be a major plus, as the multi-player mode is actually pretty fun.

Overall the game is pretty fun. I think the nostalgia for the series will be both the saving grace and downfall for this game. People who are big fans of the series will enjoy a change of pace from the conventional RaC titles, but those who want more of the same will despise this game. Its definitely worth playing as long as you are open minded to something new.

2.0 out of 5 stars How to kill a franchise..., May 6, 2012

I HATE THIS GAME.

I'm going to finish it out of some vain hope that it will somehow redeem itself and restore my faith in a brand I've been loyal to up until this point. But let's face it- I've got 25% of the game to go- they botched this one big time.

I suppose my first hint should have been lack of camera controls (it's all wide-screen... and down-hill... Seriously, I spent half my time falling off some random edge because everything's so damn tiny) and that enjoying the game's graphics seems only truly achievable if you own an 80" flat-screen (I have an old 24" screen - sorry I'm not rich Insomniac). Then there was the lack of strafe and the way the basic firing controls had been altered... (aaaand we're swiching to bullet points here)

-Then there's the A.I. (which you HAVE to play alongside if in single player mode)- infuriatingly lacking in the "I" part of that abbreviation as well as glitchy as hell... all in ways that will very likely get you killed or force you to take actions you are not ready/wanting to yet because it "knows what to do next" and drags you along for the merry bloody ride.

-Half the weapons are useless and glitchy (don't bother with short-ranged weapons- 9 out of 10 times they are ineffective will get you killed. But longer range will randomly switch targets or suddenly become out of range of the target... also effectively getting you killed.)

-Battles seem to be mapped out less on challenge and skill and more on how much ammo they can force you to waste. In fact they're generally a giant blur of light where I can't tell where I am or what I'm doing.

-And if you get hit... well game over, because you'll get stunned, and then get hit again while you're trying to get up. I mean seriously WHAT is the bloody point of that?!?

-The characters in play keep repeating the same 5 or 6 lines over and over endlessly (I actually had to stop playing as Clank because if I heard him say "Don't worry little creature, we will not harm you," one more time I was going to punch the screen.)

-The oddball comedy is all but gone.

-Arenas: gone.

-Space battles: gone.

-Bosses... they all started to look the same after a while. Not very creative.

-The ability to upgrade weapons on multiple tiers- gone. Instead replaced by a "buy upgrades" feature of which there are 3 per weapon... and not very impressive I must say.

-The "treasure hunt" portion (bolts, schematics, etc) of the game is nonexistent- again replaced by some lame "pet collector" thing which LEADS NOWHERE. Yay, I sucked a giant hamster into my vacuum... and I get bolts for it... whup di-do...

-And Puzzles? Ha! I'm going back to the Sunday crossword... more challenging, more interesting and vastly less insipid.

Near as I can tell the designers tried to change too much and lost a lot (ok, most) of what made the games great (to me at least.) Hope the next one is better or I'm seriously going to have to find a new franchise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality Game Sacrificed for Trendy Concept, October 22, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Gone are the engaging and visually complex worlds, each with their many layers of game play and hidden gems all waiting for you to explore as you desire. Gone are the vast arrays of creative weapons and the ability to play your character as you see fit. Gone are the mini games - space fights, races, flights, arena battles, etc. Gone are the controls we've all come accustomed to. Gone pretty much sums it up. Instead, the game looks and feels cheap, hollow, gutted of its original depth and intent, akin to one you might download - all this stripping seeming to make room for trendy 3D visuals and internet multiplayer game play. If hooking up with 3 other friends to control the tiniest of characters along a shallow linear path, spending most of your time mindlessly breaking boxes, sucking up animals, and briefly shooting at easy-to-kill enemies is your desire, then here ya go. But if you were hoping to settle in to a long weekend with the latest immersive R&C, I guess we'll just have to keep waiting. I personally haven't been this disappointed with a R&C release since Deadlocked, and that includes all the PSP releases as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a tool...of justice!, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Ratchet & Clank: you know them, you love them. They've been around for ten games now and the formula has not changed much over the years. All 4 One is Insomniac's response to fans asking for something new and exciting for our Lombastic hero and his shiny compadre, and let me tell you...it works like a charm.

All 4 One is an absolute blast whether you play it offline by yourself, on the couch with some friends, or online with others. You can select Ratchet, Clank, Captain Qwark or Dr. Nefarious even when playing single player. Every character plays pretty much the same but they all have a different special weapon. Ratchet has The Dopplebanger, Clank has the Zoni Blaster which slows enemies, Qwark has a shield called the Quantum Deflector and Nefarious has a cloaking device called...the Cloaker. When playing single player, Clank is your partner unless you select Clank as your character. When you select Clank, Qwark is your partner character...and he somehow jams himself onto Clank's back. It's quite amusing.

As always you have a multitude of whacky weapons at your disposal. GrummelNet once again serves as the vendor but they are now represented by some metallic friends from Tools of Destruction. That's right, Cronk and Zephyr make their triumphant return to the series. I won't spoil any of the story for you but I can assure you that the dialogue is as humorous as ever and the cutscenes are very well done. Speaking of cutscenes, they are not skippable. This would not be a problem if it only happened the first time but you have incentive to replay pretty much every level. Having to sit through the cutscenes every time will no doubt be irritating for some. I'm sure that Insomniac will address this at a later date. Graphically speaking, this is one beautiful game. So many modern games are dark: full of greys, browns and reds. It's refreshing when something as colorful as Ratchet & Clank comes along; some of the landscapes are truly breathtaking.

Ratchet & Clank All 4 One features a more linear level structure than the other games in the series, but don't worry, veterans will still feel right at home. The fixed camera and straight-forward progression makes sense for a game where co-op is a focus, it works. While the camera is fixed, there are still plenty of hidden areas to find and alternate routes to take. Gold bolts have been replaced with Hero bolts, these are used to unlock alternate character skins and they also give you more incentive to explore and replay levels. This brings me to an interesting bit: Each character's progression is tracked separately. Your bolts, weapons, Hero bolts and records are separate for each of the four characters. When playing with a friend you get bonuses for things like collecting the most bolts or getting the most kills; this adds a bit of competitive flair to the co-op and I think it's great. One of the more prominent mechanics of the game is that you can tether yourself to your partner, which is essential for crossing gaps or saving yourself from a fall. It's basically a cooperative Swingshot. If you die and your partner is still around you can be revived by them. If they don't save you it's ok, you will respawn after a few seconds. If everyone goes down, back to the last checkpoint you go.

One of the biggest concerns out there for this game is whether it is still fun as a single player experience. Worry not, Constant Gamer, playing this game by your onesies is just as magnificent as it is playing with three friends. The difficulty scales based on how many characters you are playing with, which makes cooperation all the more important. I find it more manageable to play on your own. I played online with 4 players for two levels and it was chaotic but fun; if you are playing with people you know that are using headsets I am sure it's just fine. On the subject of playing online, All 4 One does feature an online pass so you will need to buy this new if you want to play online. As with many PS3 games there is a mandatory install, there was also a tiny day-one patch, everything added up to 2,484 MB and it took about 8 minutes.

There you have it, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One is another great entry in the series, albeit different. I really don't have any legitimate complaints. There are still plenty of things to collect and skill points to acquire. Grab your wrenches and get to it!

Edited to add: I completely forgot to mention that this game has a reversible cover. It still features the PS3 logo but it's positively hilarious. Buy it to find out...or just look it up online.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hooray! Another corridor shooter!, November 30, 2011
Matt (Little Rock, AR USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Sadly, it's over. It's all over. The beloved Ratchet and Clank series is in its death throes. What was once a charming and inventive platformer has now become a mind-numbing and creativity-crippled generic corridor shooter. It was bound to happen though, right? Gamers are drowning in a sea of console shooters these days, from Call of Duty and Killzone to Gears of War and Halo, so is it really so surprising that even games that started out as platformers are becoming more like current shooters?

Gone is the feeling of exploration that dominated the previous R&C games. You no longer have planets and moons to discover and pilfer as you see fit, as the game progression is startlingly linear. There's no exploration allowed within each level either, as you're funneled from one corridor or floating rock to the next and to the next and to the next. You won't be searching high and low for gold bolts, as they're pretty much sitting out in the open right in front of you. Skill points tell you exactly what to do to unlock them so you don't have to worry about taxing your brain.

The weapons just don't have the same level of ingenuity or excitement as in previous R&C games. A lot of the weapons are similar or identical to weapons from previous games, and those that aren't just don't seem to belong. In any case, the utility of many of the weapons doesn't really exist. You can run through the entire game using the standard cannon, the rocket launcher, Mr. Zurkon, and maybe one more weapon without resorting to using any of the others. (Sidenote: This game gets 2 stars instead of 1 solely on account of Mr. Zurkon, who is still incredibly awesome). Still, the gunplay (once a staple of R&C) is not addictive or exciting in this outing.

Controls are also odd. Since the game is meant to be played with multiple people, no one has control over the camera angle except the computer. If you're keenly used to using the right analog stick to control the camera as in previous R&C games, then you'll find yourself irritatingly changing weapons by accident, which is now managed by moving the R stick. It's something that people can get used to, I guess, but I never did, and it was like a sharp pebble in my boxers throughout the entire game.

The gameplay basically revolves around running from one battle to the next, shooting up waves after waves of enemies, running through the reload ammo checkpoint, and doing it all over again. By the time you hit the halfway point of the game, you will notice that each battle has become eerily reminiscent of one you already fought. It'll start out with about 8 rotating laser drones, then 2-3 standing/bomb drones show up, then like 8 boxing drones, then a flying gravity drone, etc. The enemy variety just isn't there, and it becomes painfully obvious early on and throughout the game. The last two levels in particular are a tedious exercise in the limits of human patience as you're literally fighting the same five waves over and over again as you move toward the final endpoint. Wait until you fight the final boss. It. just. never. seems. to. end.

If you're not planning on playing this game with human teammates, then just go ahead and take this advice: Don't play this game. Playing by yourself pairs you up with a near-retarded AI teammate who brings to the combat table the uncanny ability to read your mind and do exactly what you hope he doesn't do. Clank, I need you to activate that switch once I open this panel. Well, Clank was planning on opening the panel instead of activating the switch and now he's all confused and is stuck moving back and forth like a moving paper target. Clank, I need you to shoot this boss with me so we can create a more damaging attack. Too bad, Clank is inexplicably bolting to the edge of the floating platform and leaping to his death over and over again. Time to reload the checkpoint. Again *sigh*. These problems are obviously avoided by playing with a human friend (unless your friend is near-retarded too), but if a game is not adjusted appropriately by a development studio to be played as a single player game, then the option shouldn't be available. It just makes the project look messy.

When playing the game in coop form, hopefully with humans, the main draw (and purpose) of this game is to make everyone work together to beat levels. This always sounds great on paper as with most coop games, but the vast majority of developers cannot for the life of them figure out how to implement co-op tactics well (and Insomniac is no exception). Well, here's the dirty secret: levels should be designed so that they are essentially unbeatable unless the coop-ers work together and each fill a separate and mandatory responsibility, ideally one that is not glaringly obvious or limited to one sole strategy. This rarely happens in practice, unfortunately. What usually suffices for the co-op experience is one of the following watered-down events:

1. You cannot exit a level unless both players press X at the door, and a cutscene follows of one player holding the door open for the other player to walk through. Thanks, bro.
2. Both players are funneled toward a deadend that requires each player to hit x so that one gives the other a helpful boost to the ledge. That player then hits X so he can help the other player up. Thanks, bro.
3. One player activates and holds a switch so the other player can walk through the newly opened door and activate and hold an identical switch on the other side, allowing the first player to walk through or activate another, previously blocked switch. Thanks, bro.
4. You and a friend basically empty round after round of your ammunition into seemingly endless hordes of enemies until they're all dead, with no real focus or strategy. Keep shooting, bro.

#3 and #4 make up 95% of R&C All4One.

Hooray for co-op!!!

--------

Ok, I'm done. This game sucks in general and sucks even more for dragging an otherwise great series into the dark, fecaline depths of generic gaming. We don't need another mindless corridor shooter and certainly don't need a once-non-mindless-corridor shooter turning into one.

Let's all hope Insomniac returns to form with the next game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for a family of 3 or 4, August 5, 2012
Tom (Oviedo, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I bought this earlier as I had been looking for a 4 player game that me, my wife and 2 kids could play together without passing a controller. EVERYONE thoroughly enjoys this game. My 6yo son loves it, my wife even thinks its fun. To top it off, my 14yo daughter even enjoys playing it with us (seriously, a 14yo girl takes a break from texting and One Direction to play a video game with the FAMILY).
I have never played any of the other RaC games but this was exactly what I was looking for. Fantastic game, I hope there are more 4 player games as enjoyable and well put together as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Enjoyable To Play Then R&C Full Frontal Assault, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
While I've mostly enjoyed the entire series sadly the latest game R&C:Full Frontal Assault left me feeling more annoyed then happy but at least the other games have been more then steady with the usual gameplay like this one for the most part. While this also plays a little differently then the other previous titles it's a lot better then getting the previously titled R&C latest game and will allow you to play with up to four friends if you so desire picking the characters of Ratchet/Clank/Qwirk/Dr.Nefarious and the mission to try and stop another wannabe super villain from taking over the universe yet again.

The graphics are great,don't expect dramatic details like GOW or Uncharted but still very well designed and as always the characters with their quirky traits and attitudes make the game very fun as you hear them interact with each other. This game series is a god one to check out either for yourself or for your kids to have as while it may not have the blood and gore of the more serious hardcore games like COD it's still highly entertaining and I'm sure many kids even teenagers will find this enjoyable to play.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet and Clank mixed with a little Super Mario, October 21, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have been a fan of the R&C series for a long time. I own all of the games, with the exception of the portables. This is not your typical R&C game. In fact it almost seems like Insomniac went away from the model which worked for so many years to go more towards a Super Mario side scroller multi-player. In a way this is a step backwards. Yes, the graphics are nice and the game play is fun; but not what you would expect of a R&C game. The majority of the game it seems like you are playing from sooooo far away. I am sure this was done to fit all 4 players on the same screen. If the goal was to make R&C an online multi-player there are other ways to do this without removing what made R&C series unique. One of the reasons I purchased a PS3 in the first place was for the exclusives titles like R&C and GOW. Hopefully the next R&C will not be a side scroller and still include a online multi-player. Don't get me wrong, this is a fun game and I would still recommend it; its just not up to par with some of the others in the R&C series. It is a good game, not a great one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A turn for the worse., November 1, 2011
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Probably one of my least favorite in the R&C series... right up there with secret agent clank. I am not a fan of the bad camera angles and lack of the weapon transformations. Now the guns just stay the same and you have to get bolt to make them better. Also it would have been nice to swap charters while playing maybe have some challenges only quark could do or only clank. I was very excited for this game only too be let down. Maybe they will move back to the single player format and that would be a get more in my opinion. It's an ok game a best but a bit of a let down for this R&C fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars A dissapointing entry to a flawless series, October 30, 2011
maninblue "maninblue" (Cudahy, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Traditional Ratchet and Clank games feature exploration, crazy weaponry, wacky humor, tons of stuff to blow up, crazy boss battles, and returns to previous areas for secrets and hidden gold bolts. It almost seems All 4 One is was made by a different developer. Older entries in the series delighted fans with space battles, races, vehicles, and branching paths in the level design. All 4 One serious lacks these and the linearity of the level design is the most disappointing aspect of this game. While it is fun to blast a single path through this arcade-style adventure with a buddy, this game cant hold a candle to any of the others in the series.

While I appreciate the attempt at trying to add co-co gameplay to the series, too many sacrifices counter the fun the co-op element is supposed to add. On top of that, the co-op isnt perfect either. The main caveat is that the game handcuffs you if you want to jump into an ongoing online game by removing your weapons. This is a horrible design decision that Im surprised they didn't work out before release. Say you have only played the single player game with Ratchet and decide to join an online game to replay some of the areas you enjoyed. If Ratchet is in use by another player and you pick a character you've never used, you are stuck with nothing to play with rather than the game using what your profile has already earned. Inability to skip cutscenes, especially during a four-player co-op session is a strange oversight from the developers. This, in conjunction with the weird save system, impacts the replayability of the game because you always start at the beginning of a level and are forced to watch a lengthy (although well made) cutscene over and over again.

The game holds your hand from start to finish, from the AI bot who always revives you if you go down to the formerly super secret gold bolts from previous games now sitting right out in the open for you. Even Boss battles all require the same tactic of holding the auto-aim button and firing at some huge monster or giant robot straight in front of you with the only strategy being the option to do additional damage by selecting the same weapon as your teammate.

I should add that this game does retain some of what we love from the other games such as the lovable characters, lots of enemies to blow away, humor, (Quark's Vibrating Platypus remarks, anyone?) and guns that all feel unique and fun to use (although some are more useful than others). It's a combination of all these things along with the once again beautiful (albeit extremely linear) worlds that makes this game familiar to long time fans.

Anyone expecting this game to be on par with the others in the series with an added bonus of playing with a friend will be entertained for a rental, but otherwise left sadly waiting for the next game. Not worthy to be added to the collection of Ratchet & Clank titles I am proud to own. I am disappointed that they decided to leave out the following crucial gameplay elements that made the other games stand out:

Arena battles
hidden areas
Branching paths or large free-roaming areas in the level design
Challenging Puzzles
races

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $9.49