I am one of Insomniac's biggest fans (I even carved Ratchet and Clank jack o'lanterns for them a few years back), and RC is my favorite franchise of all time. Yet, I cannot rubber stamp any game with a lombax in it... and unfortunately, "Full Frontal Assault" (FFA) is a bit of a disappointment for this lifelong fan (although still enjoyable).

This game is fun,...
Published on November 28, 2012 by Amazon Customer

Published 23 months ago by Rich(!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good tower defense diversion, but not the game Ratchet fans have been waiting for, November 28, 2012
Amazon Customer (Somersworth, New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

This game is fun, don't get me wrong. If you're an RC fan, it's well worth picking it up and checking it out. It's only $20, and the fact that you can play it on two consoles (PS3 AND Vita) makes it an incredible value. Qwark is here for his usual comic relief (and as a playable character!), and you just might love the different style of play, with its emphasis on turrets, mines, and resource management. If you're a tower defense fan, you should definitely check it out, as FFA provides a unique (and rather frantic) twist on the genre. But I do have some qualms with the title, which are as follows...

Admittedly, I can't be too harsh on FFA, since it was marketed as a tower defense game, and it only costs $20. Yet, this does not quite feel like an RC game... it's fun at times, but there is something off about it, and the running back and forth between my base to defend it creates a sense of anxiety that is completely at odds with the sense of wonderment and carefree exploration that RC games generally instill within me. Other things have been subtly altered as well, such as minor control button changes, and a slightly "fuzzy" graphical approach that does not look as sharp as the "Future" series (perhaps compromise was utilized to make it run on the Vita?). The story is minimal, and does not live up to the high standards established by previous RC entries.

Therefore, many RC fans, like me, will feel somewhat disappointed with FFA. As for gamers who are new to the series, I'm afraid that they might get the impression that FFA is what the RC series is typically like, and this is not accurate.

It's been three full years since RC fans have received the next installment in Ratchet and Clank's adventures ("A Crack in Time" was 2009). At best, we might get one next year, which would mean a minimum of four full years between titles. I'm not counting "All 4 One", because it was not a traditional RC game. Perhaps I was spoiled by the days of the PS2, when we were treated to a new, full fledged RC adventure every fall.

I truly hope that Insomniac gets back into supporting the RC adventures, and can give us new installments on a regular basis. I hope the lombax and robot don't go the way of other mascots, and simply release one spin off after the next. Insomniac has one of the greatest platforming formulas in the history of gaming, yet they seem to be reluctant to utilize it as of late, as they dabble in other projects. I can only hope they're working on something truly spectacular for next year... perhaps even a new RC adventure for the PS4... "IN-SOM-NI-AC we trust!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but Sweet, November 28, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I've played every R&C game and bought Full Frontal Assault on the first day that it came out.

The game is different from other R&C games but very interesting. You still collect bolts but use them to buy up defense turrets and mines to protect your base rather than to buy up weapons. You still get weapons that upgrade based on the number of enemies you've killed with them. You face an open world with "weapons drop boxes" and gold bolts scattered throughout the world. Every time you collect one of the weapons drop boxes, then you get a new weapon and the next wave of enemies is unleashed on your base. So you can control the pace of the onslaught if you want to explore and build up defenses by not collecting the weapons boxes.

The game is short. The time frame for earning the first time-bonus medal for planet 1 (Markazia) is 21 minutes. I spent 60 minutes smashing every tree/box/enemy in the place... Another medal offered for completing the level in under 13:30 minutes. Another medal offered for completing the level in under 10 minutes. To collect all time-bonus medals takes less than 73.5 minutes of game play: 10 minutes on Markazia, 15 minutes on Ebaro, 23 minutes on Proteus VII, and 22:30 minutes on Ebaro Snow Storm. You can only hit those time markers after playing through the levels to build up the weapons though. Still--all-in it's way less than 10 hours of game play without the online component.

Complaints:
1) the system for switching weapons is annoying because the game doesn't pause when you press the weapon select button. If you want to scan the weapon types for the weapon with the most ammo, then you either have to walk away from enemies while doing it or get hit. Pretty annoying, though I assume this is related to training you for the competitive play mode where you actions can't pause the actions of another live player.
2) the map system that tracks where the enemies are in relation to you doesn't zoom out far enough. You hear "Your base is under attack," teleport back to your base, and then don't know which way to go to defend your base because the enemies--while still approaching the base--are still too far from you to show up on your radar. I don't want to wait for the baddies to come to me, I want to go get those guys to build up my weapon experience points rather than rely on my placed turrets.

For $20 the game is definitely worth it if you plan on committing to the online competitive play. If you're not an online gamer, then I'd just rent the game and spend one night playing it through.

3.0 out of 5 stars While Slightly Different From The Other Past Games In The Series Still Very Enjoyable, February 1, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
While this game takes on the different approach of a guard your base mentality it's still fun and enjoying to play as you revisit all of the endearing characters of the series as well as a quirky villain who seems an equal to Captain Quark(Which isn't saying much) The graphics and effects are nicely done and the comedic and quirky storyline is very hilarious in itself. So if you already have other games of the series for the price this is going for I'd say it's a bargain to add to your gaming collection...

Update 02-5-2013

After playing the game for a few of the first missions I sadly had to lower the rating of the game not due to the story or characters but as many other gamers have stated the dreaded castle defense play in it. Unlike previous Ratchet and Clank this one mainly seems to have the situation where you must protect your bases generators from attack while at the same time going out and attacking and trying to destroy the enemies base. I'm sorry but it got a little to monotonous when I had to keep running or rocket booting back to my base to protect the generators and set up defenses every five minutes. All I can say is hopefully the next game does not utilize this annoying scenario into the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good, December 25, 2013
I just started playing this and so far I'm loving it. I'm a 68 year-old grandma so my reactions aren't as fast as they used to be, but this game is forgiving enough for me to slowly progress. I DO get killed a lot, but don't have to go back too far to start again. I'm sure a good player would still find a lot of fun in this game. I have played other R&C games and don't remember the Pyroblaster (or whatever it's called); really fun to use on those suckers! Like all the other games, there are lots of funny cracks made by Ratchet and the colors are bright and clear. It's just a fun game.

5.0 out of 5 stars my kid love it, January 28, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
my kids love all the series
and i can say even i sometime enjoy it
and highly recommended
what else .......

5.0 out of 5 stars good game, January 27, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Great game i love all the ratchet and clank games but this one was way to short wish there was more but hey i enjoyed it so its worth the money and am happy with it

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not enjoy this game., January 17, 2014
Out of all the Ratchet and clank series that I have played.... This is the worst. Don't waste your money on this game!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not like other Ratchet games but still good, don't purchase for the cross buy., June 19, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The game is very fun with a friend and offers split screen co-op which is awesome. The game boils down to tower-defense pretty much with a Ratchet and Clank spin on things which is nice. You control Ratchet or Clank or Quark and protect your base with a variety of weapons from previous titles including Mr Zurkon (yeesss) and erect turrets and other defenses to help you.

The game is smooth, runs well and while not incredibly long or really as adventurous as other full Ratchet games, this game was still a pleasure to play especially with a friend. I'm not really into competitive multiplayer so I never played that to be honest, from what I saw it players battle for control points.

It's a pretty game and works really nicely on the PS3, however the Vita...

PS VITA VERSION INCLUDED review=============
The Vita version you get free with this is a MASSIVE let down, despite it's numerous delayed releases the game in the end was incredibly poor yet still large on the card (around 2GB). The textures are blocky and nasty, the framerate is low and choppy, on top of that you can see the seams down character models.
I'm stumped how this port was let out, things only made more dubious when you look at the PSN and find it to have a 4.6/5 star rating. There was no Q.A. for this game, they booted it out unfinished despite the delays and it's not worth buying it for this.
==================
If you're going to buy this game, do NOT buy it for the excuse you get it on the Vita as well, it was a massive let down and was not enjoyable to play and takes up a sizable amount on your Vita memory card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a Good Value!!, June 16, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I received this game in December as a birthday present, but didn't feel like writing a review at the time. However, I now see that this game doesn't have the score it deserves.

Edit: After some thought, I think it actually has the score it deserves after all; seeing as there are notable cons... So, I'm taking it down to 4 stars.

I will say this game was worth $20 at the time, as you got a great R&C game and the Vita version. Now, due to the very long delay of the Vita version, there is *another* free game involved! Ratchet: Deadlocked HD is included!! That's another $10 you save. (I have not yet downloaded the games yet though, but when I get my disc back I'll let you guys know.)

This game was fun for me, and I enjoyed it very much. Here, I'll list Pros and cons:

+PROS+
--------------------
+ Great time to be had, better with friends.
+ A game anyone can pick up and play.
+ The feeling of Tower Defense is a good twist to the franchise.
+ Graphics are stunning.
+ (Most) Trophies are easy to get.
+ Entertaining story and humor.
+ Cool, fun way to get weapons now.
+ Great online mode!
+ Hoverbooting, wooooo!
+ Awesome weapons. (I think they're all from previous games, but it was for the 10th anniversary of R&C so I can't complain.)
+ Plenty of reasons to revisit levels.
+ Good for offline gamers.
+ Felt like I was playing a R&C game... that's a pro in my opinion.
+ Amazing Value - 3 games for the price of 1. 2 are Downloaded though.
+ 3D was a... 7/10? It was good, though. But there was a little ghosting I believe.
+ Characters themselves now get (minor) upgrades and may level up due to *performance* (not combat - that's still for the health bar).

I think that sums it up for the good. Now for the cons.

-Cons-
--------------------
- Overpowering weapons can make the game too easy.
- The Cryoshot (freeze weapon) was useless to me... only worth using for the trophy.
- HUD (Heads Up Display) didn't really explain itself too well.
When the bar comes up for the enemies attacking the base, keep in mind that enemies on the LEFT of the bar are coming in through the WEST. For enemies on the *right* of the bar, they are coming in through the *East*
- Story was predictable (but still enjoyable)
- It's the easiest R&C game I've played yet, and that's a little too easy for my skills. I have yet to own All4One or ACiT. I have also played through every Ratchet game on the PS2 at least 3 times, so of course I'm experienced.
- Sometimes the game can be a little tedious/boring but the moment really doesn't last long.
- Game won't last a long time, maybe a month of playing it and you'll lose interest. I actually lent it after only 2 months of having it...
- Barely anyone is online to play with!

Really, it's worth the money and time you put into it. I recommend it completely for any PlayStation fan.

-VERY LATE EDIT (11/30/2013): Reviews of the other games this comes with-

Ratchet: Deadlocked is still the game I remember it to be, but it definitely looks better.
What's really weird is the fact the frame rate drops so much more often than the PS2 version did. I don't think they'll release a patch for this, but the game is still entirely playable. The frame rate drops don't make the game continue in real time, but in slow motion so that's also a good thing for the players.
Trophies are very easy to get now, since games have become harder since then (or easier, depends on which series you follow). I am one skill point away from the platinum trophy... which I nearly achieved in about 2 months.

Sadly, I have yet to see the Vita version as my brother's account is on the Vita. The Vita doesn't allow stuff from my account to be on there since the thing is linked to his account. Oh well.
Hope this review helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet and Clank, 'nuff said..., May 16, 2013
Paul Laska (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Okay, so Amazon requires a few more words, and this game definitely deserves a LOT more. If you're into base defense, or if you liked the combat arena from R&C Going Commando, then this one will definitely please. If you're not into those kinds of gameplay, then no worries, this game has got you covered too with classic R&C campaign style gameplay. It's an all around good game to play with the consistent high-quality we've all come to expect from Insomniac games.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault - Playstation 3
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $17.04