Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault - Playstation 3
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change

on November 28, 2012
I am one of Insomniac's biggest fans (I even carved Ratchet and Clank jack o'lanterns for them a few years back), and RC is my favorite franchise of all time. Yet, I cannot rubber stamp any game with a lombax in it... and unfortunately, "Full Frontal Assault" (FFA) is a bit of a disappointment for this lifelong fan (although still enjoyable).

This game is fun, don't get me wrong. If you're an RC fan, it's well worth picking it up and checking it out. It's only $20, and the fact that you can play it on two consoles (PS3 AND Vita) makes it an incredible value. Qwark is here for his usual comic relief (and as a playable character!), and you just might love the different style of play, with its emphasis on turrets, mines, and resource management. If you're a tower defense fan, you should definitely check it out, as FFA provides a unique (and rather frantic) twist on the genre. But I do have some qualms with the title, which are as follows...

Admittedly, I can't be too harsh on FFA, since it was marketed as a tower defense game, and it only costs $20. Yet, this does not quite feel like an RC game... it's fun at times, but there is something off about it, and the running back and forth between my base to defend it creates a sense of anxiety that is completely at odds with the sense of wonderment and carefree exploration that RC games generally instill within me. Other things have been subtly altered as well, such as minor control button changes, and a slightly "fuzzy" graphical approach that does not look as sharp as the "Future" series (perhaps compromise was utilized to make it run on the Vita?). The story is minimal, and does not live up to the high standards established by previous RC entries.

Therefore, many RC fans, like me, will feel somewhat disappointed with FFA. As for gamers who are new to the series, I'm afraid that they might get the impression that FFA is what the RC series is typically like, and this is not accurate.

It's been three full years since RC fans have received the next installment in Ratchet and Clank's adventures ("A Crack in Time" was 2009). At best, we might get one next year, which would mean a minimum of four full years between titles. I'm not counting "All 4 One", because it was not a traditional RC game. Perhaps I was spoiled by the days of the PS2, when we were treated to a new, full fledged RC adventure every fall.

I truly hope that Insomniac gets back into supporting the RC adventures, and can give us new installments on a regular basis. I hope the lombax and robot don't go the way of other mascots, and simply release one spin off after the next. Insomniac has one of the greatest platforming formulas in the history of gaming, yet they seem to be reluctant to utilize it as of late, as they dabble in other projects. I can only hope they're working on something truly spectacular for next year... perhaps even a new RC adventure for the PS4... "IN-SOM-NI-AC we trust!"
1313 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2013
Ratchet and Clank is without a doubt one of my favorite Playstation franchises of all time. With that being said, I find the series recently is just [Product Review Title]. This installment just isn't like the R&C's of old. I mean the story is a bit of a stretch because a rather obscure character is the main villain (Hint: R&C: Going Commando Side-Quest). Yes, there is freedom to go out from your base, which you must defend from enemies, but there is just not any real platforming in the way R&C is known for. The game looks great, don't get me wrong, but it isnt R&C: Future caliber. This installment is REALLY SHORT like the downloadable entry Quest for Booty, but QfB was a lot more fun in my opinion because THAT was a typical R&C adventure, however short. While that is a bit negative, this game is still good. Just think: "At least its not the PS2 version of Secret Agent Clank or Size Matters."

Pros:
+ Still a good looking game
+ Weapons are still fun to use

Cons:
- You could finish this game (with dedication) in 6 hours. Not Kidding.
- Story is just disappointing and that's upsetting when I talk about Ratchet and Clank.

Overall: Its not the worst R&C out there but the last two entries (this and All 4 One) have been let-downs. (6/10)
on November 28, 2012
I've played every R&C game and bought Full Frontal Assault on the first day that it came out.

The game is different from other R&C games but very interesting. You still collect bolts but use them to buy up defense turrets and mines to protect your base rather than to buy up weapons. You still get weapons that upgrade based on the number of enemies you've killed with them. You face an open world with "weapons drop boxes" and gold bolts scattered throughout the world. Every time you collect one of the weapons drop boxes, then you get a new weapon and the next wave of enemies is unleashed on your base. So you can control the pace of the onslaught if you want to explore and build up defenses by not collecting the weapons boxes.

The game is short. The time frame for earning the first time-bonus medal for planet 1 (Markazia) is 21 minutes. I spent 60 minutes smashing every tree/box/enemy in the place... Another medal offered for completing the level in under 13:30 minutes. Another medal offered for completing the level in under 10 minutes. To collect all time-bonus medals takes less than 73.5 minutes of game play: 10 minutes on Markazia, 15 minutes on Ebaro, 23 minutes on Proteus VII, and 22:30 minutes on Ebaro Snow Storm. You can only hit those time markers after playing through the levels to build up the weapons though. Still--all-in it's way less than 10 hours of game play without the online component.

Complaints:
1) the system for switching weapons is annoying because the game doesn't pause when you press the weapon select button. If you want to scan the weapon types for the weapon with the most ammo, then you either have to walk away from enemies while doing it or get hit. Pretty annoying, though I assume this is related to training you for the competitive play mode where you actions can't pause the actions of another live player.
2) the map system that tracks where the enemies are in relation to you doesn't zoom out far enough. You hear "Your base is under attack," teleport back to your base, and then don't know which way to go to defend your base because the enemies--while still approaching the base--are still too far from you to show up on your radar. I don't want to wait for the baddies to come to me, I want to go get those guys to build up my weapon experience points rather than rely on my placed turrets.

For $20 the game is definitely worth it if you plan on committing to the online competitive play. If you're not an online gamer, then I'd just rent the game and spend one night playing it through.
on November 29, 2014
I only bought this since i never had it before and ratchet and clank is my favorite series ever since the first game on ps2, but i couldnt finish this crappy excuse for a game. I knew it was like a tower defense sort of game, but didnt think it would suck as bad as it did. This game and all4one are not true ratchet games. If you are missing out on any of the ratchet games heres a list of all the good ones that go with the main story:

Ratchet and Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Size Matters(Same ratchet and clank, but this was only for psp and ps2 and you dont need it since insomniac didnt make it, but its decent and better than full frontal assault)
Deadlocked(you dont need it as its more of just doing a lot of minigames which i never really enjoyed, but i have it to complete the collection)
THe future Series: Consisting of Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and A crack in time.
Into the Nexus(This came out after full fa and its an awesome traditional ratchet game that completes the future saga, IT ALSO COMES WITH A FREE COPY OF QUEST FOR BOOTY, IF YOU BUY IT AND U DONT GET A CODE, SEND ME A MESSAGE AND ILL GIVE YOU MINE)

So yea, not a good game but its main villian is mentioned in Into The Nexus, so maybe youll like it.
on December 14, 2012
We have every R&C game from PS2 to PSP and PS3. Just got Collection to enjoy the first 3 games again. My grandson likes FFA but I find it boring. (Sorry Insomniac!) Very different in the way you acquire weapons (free!) and ammo, but too hard to target lock weapons and too much running around. Run out and whack some bots and then hurry back to defend the base. Not my kind of game, but I'm still a big R&C fan.
on October 25, 2015
This game is definitely not like other ratchet and clank games. That said once you get past that, it can be fun. The first time I purchased this game I was so disappointed I didn't even really play it, but once you realize that and just play it for what it is, it's still a good game! I am a veteran ratchet and clank player, I love these games. I don't want to tell you everything about the entire game, read a detail description of the game and know that it's different from the others and you should be able to decide if you are gonna like it. It does still come with the ratchet:deadlocked, there is a disc benefits option below the play disc option (before starting the game) and it will take you to the playstation store and you will have to download the ratchet and clank ffa for the psvita (it's free) and it will also start the download for deadlocked. All in all it's a good game and it's a good price now, and you also get an extra game. It's worth a try.
on August 28, 2015
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (Ratchet and Clank: QForce outside of North America) was announced on May 30, 2011. The game was announced as part of a 'surprise' from Insomniac Games to mark the 10th anniversary since the original game was released.[9]

The gameplay is described as a tower defense, a deviation from the platforming/combat common to the rest of the series, where Ratchet has to fight enemies over 5 levels on 3 different planets. It was released on November 27, 2012 on the PlayStation 3 with the PlayStation Vita version delayed until May 21, 2013.[10]
on February 20, 2015
I have been a long time player of the entire Rachet and Clank series. This is not a Rachet and Clank game. It is a weird tower defense strategy game with a few elements of Rachet and Clank. Was not happy when I realized this was not the story driven adventure game that I have grown to know and love over the past 10 years.
on April 19, 2013
I really didn't like the last one. After years of good games, they changed the movement controls and I thought that really sucked and was hard to get used to. The old controls are back and I"m having a good time with this one
on September 21, 2015
Not your normal R&C. At first I didn't like it as much as the rest of the series. Once I got into the strategy and timing, I liked it a lot. I'm at the end of the game now and I finding the final hard. Worth the money without a doubt.