Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus - PS3
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change

on November 14, 2013
I've been a Ratchet and Clank fan for a long time, and I'm glad to see this game added to the series; especially after All 4 One.

Into the Nexus goes back to classic Ratchet and Clank mechanics. With the same type of platforming you'd find in the previous games with a new mechanic where you create a stream of gravity to push and pull you towards the next area, and also to secret areas. The awesomely unique weapons are back like the Nightmare Box that scares enemies for a bit, the Winterizer that turns enemies into snowmen, and Mr. Zurkon is back and he brought Zurkon Jr. and Mrs. Zurkon with him!

I played on the Legend (difficulty) which I felt added the perfect amount of challenge to the game for me. It really made me spend more time during fights trying not to get hit, rather than just plowing through the enemies and beating the game. Speaking of combat, I loved how much would be going on during boss fights and even some mob fights, especially the final boss. There were so many things going on on the screen that it looked like pure chaos, and I loved it. Destructapalooza, the lava surrounded arena you love from other Ratchet and Clank games is back again. While I found it enjoyable I didn't find it too much of a challenge to completely beat it.

The story itself was solid, thought I wouldn't say it's anything special, it was just pretty short. I probably beat the game in about 7-8 hours and that includes backtracking to get all of the golden bolts and Ryno VII holo plans. But for $30 I absolutely feel that I got my money's worth for this game. But, keep in mind, that when you beat the game you unlock Challenge mode which is a sort of new game plus. Challenge mode is a new harder mode where you keep all your weapons and armor, and you can play through on a harder difficulty. When not in challenge mode your weapons can only level up to level 3, but in Challenge mode you get 3 more levels, and you get extra armor to unlock as well.

And one quick note, maybe it was just my system, but I noticed many times that the sound would completely cut out for a few seconds when transitioning to some screens. It mostly happened when my weapon leveled up and the system was trying to quickly load the weapon upgrade screen that pops up. But it didn't detract from the experience and I don't take any points away for it, it was just a little annoyance.

If you're a fan of classic Ratchet and Clank then you need to pick up Into the Nexus. It is an awesome addition to the franchise and Insomniac did another great job!

Pros:
- Classic Ratchet and Clank Platforming and Combat
- Unique Weapons
- Gorgeous Environments

Cons:
- Short
- Small Sound Glitches
- Destructapalooza a Tad Too Easy
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2013
If you're a Ratchet and Clank fan, then chances are you've been pretty disappointed these last few years. Ever since A Crack in Time, the series has progressively declined. They even started featuring the Lombax hero in cheesy Playstation Move titles just to make them sell better. Whenever I originally saw the trailer for Into the Nexus, the comments were filled with people who wanted them to cancel the series for good. In fact, when I went to pick up this game from my local Gamestop, they told me I was the only one in my town that pre-ordered this game. But that didn't stop me. I went home and tried my luck. And you know what? This was the most fun I've had playing a Ratchet and Clank game since Up Your Arsenal!

Story: Ratchet is on board a prison ship carrying a deadly criminal named Vendra. Vendra's goal is to use a reverse dimensionator to bring her species into our world. When Vendra's twin brother springs Vendra, it's up to Ratchet and Clank to stop her before she brings the Nether and their terrifying leader, Mr. Eye, into our world and destroying the galaxy!

Gameplay: Now on to the good stuff. Like all Ratchet and Clank games, Insomniac likes to experiment with new elements into each of their games, this one, focuses on a zero gravity element. You have unique shoes that allow you to pull yourself onto certain platforms and perform gravity jumps to other platforms. Also, about 2 levels in, you get your hands on a modified Levitator (This game has a lot of Going Commando's influence) which allows you to fly as long as you have fuel and fight in mid-air. All of these elements are exceptionally well done. I really hope they keep all these elements in the future games, the modified levitator is my personal favorite, they basically perfected mid-air combat, a feat most gaming companies have never accomplished. The gravity jumps are also very fun. The first level which had a large amount of these, was just incredible. There will even be certain bosses where you have to fight upside down, which is a blast to do. These elements keep the Gameplay fresh and inviting.

Music: Beautifully crafted orchestral pieces for every aspect of this game. Whether it be the doom music when you fire the RYNO, or the cheesy market music when you go in and upgrade or purchase a weapon. It's all here, it makes for a really in depth experience.

Weapons: I figured a Ratchet and Clank game review deserves a separate section for weapons, since that's half their charm. And you'll be happy to know, that there was not one weapon in this game that I hated leveling up. Unlike most of the Ratchet and Clank games of the past, every weapon in this game is fun to use. There are no silly gimmicks like useless holo-shield launchers, or the frustrating self steering tornadoes, these weapons are all unique and fun to use.

Verdict: This game is a masterpiece. Before playing this game, I didn't have high hopes. But now, I'm itching for more. Sadly this game is very short. (6 hours on normal difficulty, 8 hours on legendary/ hard, and about 5 hours if you don't go back and complete all the mini-missions) I could not put this game down until I unlocked all the trophies, and I still have a lot more skill points to unlock. This game gives me a lot of hope for the PS4 generation, and you have no excuses not to buy it, it's $30, what do you have to lose? It even includes a voucher for their $15 mini-game Quest for Booty. Ratchet and Clank are back! :)
66 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2014
I love the Ratchet & Clank series, so I was understandably anxious when this one was released. Especially so because I skipped the last two (All 4 One was really just for multiplayer even though you could technically play it alone, and I learned that Full Frontal Assault was so bad that I never bothered with it).

Here we have the R&C standards you expect - crazy weapons, lots of humor, and a lot of just plain fun. The Nightmare Box is now my personal favorite for hilarious weapons - it's a tie with the Groovitron. The jet pack is excellent and easy to use, and the gravity tethers are a great idea. Sadly, they're a bit underused, and the back-in-true-form fun gameplay doesn't stack up because...

I was shocked, I mean REALLY SHOCKED, at how short this game is. You could only come up with three planets? Really? One is an arena and doesn't count. When the final battle, which I was assuming was just a hard boss, was over, I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, wow, no one could come up with more? Is this really it?

So there's no need to go into greater depth with this review, I'll just sum up with the good and bad:

Good:
Super fun weapons, they haven't lost their touch. The Nightmare Box is LOL. Level it up!
Easy controls and smooth movement.
Great overall fun.
You can choose traditional 3rd person or target lock mode, and switch at any time.
It looks really, really good.

Bad:
OMG is it really this short? I can't emphasize enough just how UNBELIEVABLY short this game is. No excuse for an R&C game.
The Clank netherworld parts, which are clever but annoying (Clank parts usually are).
I can't believe it's already over - oh wait, I already mentioned that.

This is what I was hoping for and isn't. It is because, as an R&C game, it's very, very good. It isn't because you don't get much of one. I'm so sad.
77 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2014
Let's address the elephant in the room. Clank is a tool (both literally and figuratively). I've now played three Ratchet & Clank games, and he adds little to no value to the franchise. I put up with the pointless Clank mini-games in Crack in Time and Tools of Destruction, but the buck stops here. I'm putting Insomniac on notice - stop with pointless mini-games or you will lose a customer (as if they give a damn, lol). I just needed to get that off my chest, now on to the review.

Combat - As usual, this is primarily a third person shooter with a tiny bit of melee sprinkled in. I elected to turn off the auto aim which resulted in tougher combat. I liked the tougher combat because previous R&C games were a bit on the easy side. It would have been nice to maybe see a different melee attack. It's been the same wrench throwing/swinging attack for the past few games, and it's starting to get boring. I understand the wrench is a staple in the franchise, but couldn't we get another melee attack in addition to that? Maybe Clank could be used in a melee attack, being that he's not doing any damn thing else...

Weaponry - Out of all the R&C games that I've played, this is my favorite group of weapons. There's too many for me to discuss, so I'll just touch on a few of them. Once you collect the full catalog of weapons; you'll be able to turn enemies into snowmen, unleash lethal demons, throw sticky grenades, use a rocket launcher, target enemies from a distance with a sniper rifle, and make use of a `jack in the box' that can literally scare bad guys to death (one of my personal favorites). But the fun doesn't stop there. If you collect 9 missing `blue prints', you'll be granted with the mother of all super weapons. It's called the RYNO VII, and it's nothing short of spectacular. It has more than 1,000 bullets, which is unusual for a R&C weapon. To put this in perspective, the next closest weapon holds under 100. Here's a little tip: Unlock this as early as possible. I didn't get my hands on it until very late in the game, so I had very limited use with it.

Enemies - Unfortunately, this is the weakest area of the game (besides Clank, of course). There are only 4 or 5 planets, so I'd expect to see a different enemy type on each planet. The same few enemies were recycled on all of the planets, for the most part. I'll go out on a limb and say the same 4 or 5 enemy types were reused over and over. The boss battles were fun, but nothing too special. While playing the game, I felt like the enemies never quite measured up to the awesome weapon choices.

Miscellaneous - There are several side-missions to do (only offered on one of the planets). Also, I didn't think the game was as short as some of the reviewers made it out to be. If you take your time and explore the planets, plus do some of the side-missions, I think you can probably eke out about 10 hours of gameplay. For those die-hard R&C fans, you'll be happy to know the arena battles are alive and well.

I deducted a star because Clank's little missions were beyond frustrating, and you'll be forced to do them. I'll put it this way: If I were ever to meet Clank in person, I'd buy him a pair of lungs, then I'd probably lead him to a lake, and hold his head under water until he drowned (or rusted to death, whichever the hell comes first). Now you have an idea how frustrated I was while playing as him. If they feel the need to include such nonsense in the game, it'll be good idea to make them optional side-missions, just saying. Also, the enemy variety wasn't great, and that contributed to my overall score. Into the Nexus is a pretty good game, just not a great one. God of War I, you're up next!!!
on November 22, 2013
This game doesn't get any better! If you're a fan of R&C at all, then you should pick this title up! It really should have been no more than $20 due to the fact it only takes about 7-8 hours to fully complete with Platinum Trophy. But this game is DEFINITELY back to the original style and fun of the PS2 era! Also it comes bundled with a code for the previous PSN title: Quest for Booty. I'd already purchased that at launch, but I've heard there are MANY people having problems getting that code to work?
on January 7, 2014
Into the Nexus is an excellent "final hoorah" for Ratchet & Clank on the PlayStation 3. The game ties in all of the elements of the past Ratchet & Clank games and adds a little more comedy, nice touches, and excellent dialogue. It does, however, take on a much darker and creepier tone than its predecessors which gives Into the Nexus a sense of uniqueness while not moving too far away from the roots of the series.

I won't ruin the story for anyone, but I will say that the plot is very straightforward. It successfully ties in to the events that were explained in the previous Ratchet & Clank Future series and does not add too much to the story to make it seem like there is a lot going on. There are no huge surprises (except for maybe one towards the beginning) and there are no huge let downs. Since the game is rather short, the story moves at a much faster pace, but Insomniac packed in a lot of replay value into the game so there's nothing to be upset about.

The weapons and combat system are a nice homage to Ratchet & Clank 2 & 3 because you have the ability to test out weapons before you use them and you can upgrade the weapons by using them and by collecting Raritanium give them a little extra punch. The weapons are playful and some of the most exciting weapons in the entire series. Take the Winterizer for example, this hilarious weapon is similar to previous games' Quack-O-Ray or Chimp-O-Matic, in that is shoots out a constant beam of energy that turns enemies into snowmen that retain the enemies' shape. When the snowmen are destroyed, they leave behind presents that contain bolts and raritanium. It goes even further to perform a jolly rendition of Jingle Bells when the weapon is being used. This is just one example of the detail that was put into the weapons and combat that allows for hours of destructive fun, even after the story is completed.

Deeper into the game, you are able to roam much farther and faster after being equipped with A Crack in Time's hoverboots and a brand new jetpack. The boundaries are broken in this game allowing for more avenues for exploration. I also mentioned earlier that the dialogue is definitely more polished in Into the Nexus. Ratchet and Clank share much more casual dialogue which makes their relationship seem a little more realistic and in-depth. The enemies talk to each other and Ratchet & Clank before an during battle. And, with the return of Mr. Zurkon (and the rest of his family), hilarious lines regarding killing, shooting, blowing up, and pure cold-hearted robotic carnage are present and well appreciated.

The game itself can be completed within about 6-8 hours. However, there are many challenges, hidden items, skill points, and extras to be completed afterwards which can take players far longer than 6-8 hours to complete; giving Into the Nexus, that Ratchet & Clank charm that players love. Not only that, but the game comes with a download code to download Quest for Booty for free. So it's two games for the price of one. I would definitely recommend this game to ALL Ratchet & Clank fans and to all video gamers that like to shoot things, explore, and get a good laugh out of a video game.
on November 14, 2013
Insomniac did it again. The "Ratchet And Clank" we all grew to love are back as is the humor and game play. The visuals are so full of color and definition, it is amazing. Love searching for all the hidden goodies and playing what I call, "the games within the game." This game is a must have.
on January 3, 2016
Game is fun and the graphics are pretty good. They've added some additional game play dynamics which are pretty neat. However, I'm a long time fan of the R&C series and found the control changes to be a bit confusing. The first noticeable change is the movement of the fire button from X to R1. This resulted in Ratchet's death about a dozen times before I mentally made the change...ok, no problem. The second, and more annoying change, this the need to "aim" the weapon using the R stick. I really prefer the old R&C lock on mods, but oh well. Where I find this really annoying is in the change of the camera angle. If you aim high, you can't see the ground and fall in holes. If you aim low you can see the terrain, but can't shoot anything above ground level. This camera and shooting dynamics seemed so "locked in" in the previous R&C games...why change it? Otherwise, the game is fun and worth the few bucks I paid.
on March 1, 2015
I'll be posting a double part review for the new copy buyer.
Quest for Booty (DLC code for US)-- Ok, so we pick up after Tools of Destruction, which is cool, but they changed crap on us! All weapons are at LV3 because it's a short game and it's supposed to be not terribly long after the previous game. BUT they kinda... smack us around a bit. The game is SHORT, like about 1/4 a normal R&C game. Without Clank you feel naked, but you have a new Wrench, and it does new things (unless you played A Crack in Time first, then you'll be use to the wrench's abilities)! All in all, Quest for Booty left me wanting.
--Insert playtime for Crack in Time--
And then we come to Into the Nexus-- So we pick up a fair while after All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, the comic series, and the phone/tablet game Before the Nexus. (I skipped everything, but I assume playing them makes certain things make more sense) Anyway, story picks up, references to the rest of the Future series are made, and enter new dynamics!
You remember in Crack in Time where you got time manipulation? Well, now you deal with gravity manipulation. You're going to LOVE or HATE the new stuff. New Clank levels feel unlike anything you've done before... except maybe those holo-vid comics back in Up Your Arsenal... that's the closest I can give a comparison for.

But, let me just say now, to sum up everything for this second review; Clank, it's good to have you back, on my back.
Rejoice fans as they truly have gone back to how Ratchet&Clank games should be before the insidious Full Frontal Assault assaulted us. The game controls and actions are almost exactly like the previous R&C games though with one or two differences, the only one I seen so far is when throwing your trusty Ratchet weapon instead of holding R2 it's now L1 why I can't say also unlike with the game R&C: A crack in time you are bereft of the handy rocket boots in the early part of the game. Whether or not you get them later on I don't know since I myself just started playing.

The graphics are great and the storyline fits the Ratchet&Clank universe well, also and pretty much expected we'll see longtime characters like Captain Qwark and others.

Overall all I can say Wow,now the true Ratchet&Clank have been brought back to fans and hopefully more to come. So for fans of the series fear not for this game is indeed a true Ratchet&Clank game for you to enjoy.