Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on January 20, 2011
There are few things today that truely represent value for the money. The Ratleware 58mm Round Long handled tamper at under $30 delivered is one of them.

After years of contently using the plastic tamper that came with my Gaggia Classic I finally decided to purchase something better. I have seen and used many kinds of tampers over the years and have come to believe that this Rattleware tamper is the best value on the market. The need to spend more on a tamper is incomprehensible to me. This is as good as it gets and for a reasonable price.

There are many tampers on the market, but at about this price point and this size there are not too many options. Most cheaper ones are not available in the 58mm size, and the correct size is important for it to be a worthwhile purchase otherwise you might as well stick with the plastic tamper that came with your machine. One alternative for a 58mm tamper for about $8 less (a larger percentage less) is a Chinese made acrylic handle model that is sold just about everywhere, but none of the sellers (amazon sellers, espresso specialty web sites, and a famous auction web site) could confidently state the actual size of the Chinese made acrylic handel tamper ("says 58mm but actual size 54" one seller commented). Most other tampers cost more than this Rattleware by either a little or a lot. I had not seen this one in person before making the purchase but took a chance on it after reading many positive reviews. I could not be more pleased. Furthermore I feel smart for not getting sucked into paying so much more for a Reg Barber (RB).

The RB for $70-$90 is a lovely tamper that I have had the pleasure of using, but it is functionally no better than this one. This one has similar weight and ballance as the RB for less than half the price. The RB has a beautiful wooden handle that may appeal to some as preferable but not me. The RB has the option of a blank white insert at the top of the handle, their own "RB" logo at the top of the handle, or the logo of your espresso machine maker on the top of the handle; something else that is no appeal to me.

Obviously RB has no problem selling their tampers. I am not sure if it is merely inertia from being in the business a while, if it becuase of their traditional look, if they have better marketing and distribution, or if people merely don't feel good about something unless they pay a lot of money for it, but there is no doubt that this Rattleware represents an amazing value for your moeny in comparison to the RB, and it does an equally good job.

The 58mm Rattleware Round Long tamper fits the Gaggia perfectly (which means it is also the correct fit for Rancilio Silva, Pasquinni Liva, and other machines with comercial sized porta filters).
on March 4, 2010
I have this tamper both in 58mm and 53mm. THis is top quality tamper in terms of how precisely it is made. Hevy and solid, it fits a 58mm Gaggia portafilter PERFECTLY! Tight and perfect fit for the Gaggia. DO not spend mone money on more expensive tampers, this is the one. After all, it is just a piece of metal, no difference in the performance. Highly Recommended.

p.s. The 53mm is absolutely perfect fit for the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi machine portafilter.
on September 25, 2009
I was loaned a RB tamper for three weeks, and it was awesome. They are very well made and do a great job. In fact, I almost ordered one. But after reading many favorable reviews, I decided to take a chance with the Rattleware tamper and possibly save the $60. Boy am I glad I did. This is a great product. It fits a double shot Rancilio basket about as close as you can get without having a custom made tamper. At a little over 13oz. it has just the right amount of heft without being too heavy. It makes it easy to be right in the 30lbs. of pressure every time.
on May 11, 2008
It does what it says it does, and has a healthy amount of weight to it, giving it a really solid feel. The tamping surface is smooth, and the size is just right for a LM Triple or Rancilio Double filter basket.
on December 4, 2015
I have a Gaggia Classic that I just purchased and realized after a week of use, I need to buy a tamper that fits the 58mm portafilter. I am not a barista, nor have any other experience with other tampers (other than the little plastic tamper included with my machine), but my espresso-making quality increased ten fold after getting this. It seems to have a nice weight to it, it is beautifully built, clean looking, very comfortable in my hand. Great product!
review image review image
on October 5, 2012
This tamper is a MUST if you're chasing the perfect cup of espresso. I won't go into the details of why it is important since you probably already know it if you're looking for this item.

This 58mm fits my Gaggia Classic's portafilter perfectly and the difference in espresso quality can be seen (crema) and tasted immediately. Also knocking the beans off is an easier and cleaner process now - I really don't know why Gaggia even ships the machine with that useless plastic thing.

Pros:

- Well balanced: relatively heavy / solid feel
- Outstanding surface finish
- Well made: precision machined
- Very ergonomic handle

Cons:

- None to date

This worked so well I got another one as a gift for a relative. Highly recommended!
on August 11, 2011
It's had to believe, but the heavy, precisely-58 mm. tamper did indeed make a WORLD of difference in the final espresso brew. The firm, uniform puck gave a much more flavorful taste, without adding any bitterness, the "crema" was thicker, and the spent puck was easier to tap out in the trash can! (The reason it took me 10 plus years to discover this was that I never researched the subject of coffee on the internet!) Thanks, Rattleware! And thanks, Amazon! [[ASIN:B0016CBO74 Rattleware 58-Milimeter Round-Handled Tamper, Long
on May 23, 2010
This is the first review I've ever posted. I just bought a lollpalooza coffee maker, all chrome and handles, but the coffee did not have the crema that ITS reviewers claimed for it - just large bubbles. Then I read some of the hype for this tamper. I thought what the hey, bought it, and - like magic - proper crema appeared before my eyes! Don't ask me why or how, because I don't know. It was magic. Very happy with the purchase.
on January 29, 2011
My Gaggia Classic came with a flimsy plastic tamper. Now if you want to extract the Crema from good expresso coffee, you need to pack it tight. This item is perfectly sized for my machine and is a heavy weight. This will never break.
on January 4, 2016
When I first used my RW 58mm tamper I could easily notice the build quality compared to the oringal tamper that came with my Gaggia Classic. It has a nice heavy feel and tampers nice and evenly consistently. Fits my 58mm portafilter from my Gaggia Classic just perfectly. Using a quality tamper with help create consistent espresso shots. The price is a little steep but you definitely get what you pay for.