5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun family game
Published on September 5, 2007 by C. Delahunty

3.0 out of 5 stars Make in Break Junior is way better
We ended up with both the regular and junior version and I have to say that my husband and I enjoyed the junior version way better (even after the kids had gone to bed).

Published 23 months ago by Debra

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun family game, September 5, 2007
This review is from: Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game (Toy)
This game is great fun for the whole family. The age range recommends 8+, but my 4 year-old son plays fine. Unlike many other "family" games, this one is actually fun for the parents. And we play with our big people friends when the kids are in bed, and it is a blast. This game makes me want to throw away Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and all those other tortuous games the kids have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make in Break Junior is way better, October 20, 2012
Debra (Rochester, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This version requires a lot of waiting. You roll the dice, set the timer to 1, 2 or 3 and try to build with blocks to copy as many cards as possible. I found the randomness of how much time you get kind of frustrating. I definitely prefer games with less randomness and more skill. It's frustrating if your opponent gets more time than you. Basically it's a solitaire game you can play with other people.

The components are quality Ravensburger (except for the timer which is kind of chincey). The only kind of weird thing is that one block is almost black, but is actually a navy purple color. The card shows the block as purple and that kind of threw me at first, but my work involves work with color and most people probably wouldn't notice.

Basically, I found this game boring. The Junior version is much faster paced, involves competition, is more equitable, etc. Don't waste your time with this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific family game, December 30, 2007
This review is from: Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game (Toy)
My son asked for this for Christmas. He plays it in his third grade math class. There are three levels of difficulty so our 5 year-old can play at level 1 and there are plenty of challenges in levels 2 and 3. I was surprised at how much fun we were all having. You are timed at how many block structures you can build according to the cards in a certain amount of time. Sometimes you have to follow the pattern exactly - design and color of blocks; other times you follow the pattern but can use any blocks reagrdless of color. It's best to play on a hard surface on the floor because blocks can go flying off the table when you need them!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Family Game!, October 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ravensburger company is known for making excellent toys and games. Not the just the fun factor, but the quality of the materials that is used. If you want something for your family, consider this wonderful game, Make 'N' Break.

1. THE FUN FACTOR. If you like the challenge of building things within the limited time, then this game is very good. Your coordination of eyes, hands, and speed will determine the fate of the game. As each takes his/her own turn with the unknown design of the building flash-card before you, there is a sense of anticipation building. All these add to the excitement of the game.
2. THE BUILD. The materials used for this game is a top notch. The wooden blocks are well made, designed with no sharp corners, but have rounded corners (so no accidental cuts!). The cards are glossy and strong. The timer is also well built and not subject easy breakage. The quality is indeed top notch.
3. THE EDUCATIONAL FACTOR. The game does promote Logical element - not a strong one, but adequate for the kids. Even the box says, "ages 8 and up," it is clearly fun for 6 or 7 years old kids.

Overall, I was playing with my kids, there was a lot of laughter yet some intensity as well! Also, the game is not long (20 minutes), so that is good for busy adults! Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, but adults have to really "hold back" if playing with kids, October 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty fun game for kids. On a player's turn a card is drawn with an image of a structure that the player has to build with the blocks. Some require the same colored blocks in the exact places, and other cards only require the structure, so colored blocks can be used any way desired. There is a timer and a player can build as many structures as they're able until the timer goes off. There are also two decks of cards, an easier group and a harder group. Even with me using the harder cards and my 8 y.o. using the easier ones, I really had to purposefully slow myself down in order to make the game seem close and not beat her with a landslide.

Our daughter loves games and we try to find games that we can play with her without us having to "dumb ourselves down" (for lack of a better description) and pretend it's harder than it is in order to play it with her. There are a lot of games out there that adults can play with kids in which they can fully use their own skills and knowledge which makes it more enjoyable (forbidden island is a great example and is our current favorite kids game). To us it feels patronizing and untruthful to have to "pretend" that a game is harder or more interesting than it really is in order to play it with our daughter. We'd rather play games that really are engaging for all ages rather than pretending that they are.

If you have kids that will play together then this game would be great for them. For adults playing with kids, you'll have to pretend it's harder than it is or else you'll easily beat the kids which isn't very fun or fair for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all ages, December 15, 2007
This review is from: Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game (Toy)
We played the game with children from 6-12 and everyone had a great time. The adults couldn't wait for the kids to go to bed so we could play it alone. Fun game that can easily be made into a young child's game as well as a grown-ups game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to learn; fun to play, October 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This game is unbelievably simple to learn: roll a die, set a timer, turn over a card and start building. After opening the box, my 5 and 7-year-old and I were playing in less than 5 minutes. The beauty of this game is that you can play it according to the rules or make some modifications to play with younger children. You may want to give children under the age of 8 more time to build, or the easier cards. Likewise, adults playing with children need less time or more challenges. I see this as a game that becomes even more fun to play as my kids get older.

Because there's an element of luck in rolling the die and shuffling the cards, no two games are ever alike. You only play 4 rounds to determine a winner, so games are long enough to be fun, but not so long that they're frustrating or tiring.

An excellent game for learning how to copy patterns build from a plan. Like any good educational game, it's makes learning fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars We REALLY love this game!, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game (Toy)
We play this game with our 2 and 4 year old kids. The 2 year old just stacks but he loves that he is apart of a game.

Our 4 year old is really good at playing this game. She loves this game more then Perfection, Operation, etc. Hands down her fav. This game has made us do family game night.

We love the game b/c it is such a fun game that helps with colors and building, speed, etc but it is also pretty challenging for adults.

We actually sneak into my kids room and get this game out after the kids are asleep and play the game with friends. lol. My 30 year old sister in law loves this game!

We play as a family by giving our daughter the 1 or 2 level stack and my husband and I work off the level 3 stack. My 2 year old just stacks them and then we cheer and give him a token so he doesn't really work off of a card.

Basically you have 3 levels of play, you role a die and what you roll indicates how much time you get on the timer. You flip a card and you have to build your blocks exactly like the picture including the colors. If you complete it before the timer runs out you get a new card and try to see how many you can complete in one turn. I think the most us adults have done is 3? It is ridiculous. My daughter on the lower levels card can get so many done in one turn. lol. Great family game and great game for adults to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game (Toy)
This is one of our absolute favorite family games. Six of us recently played at a family b-day party with ages ranging from 8 to 70+ and fun was had by all. There is no reading involved which makes the game easily playable for children under eight. Also, the stacking of the blocks helps to develop manual dextrity in younger players. Very basically, the game is played by duplicating structures on cards with wooden blocks. While it might sound easy, some of the structures are quite tricky to replicate. The game can easily be played in 20 minutes making it time managable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of Fun, November 27, 2009
Martyr40 (Wichita, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game (Toy)
Had originally gotten this game for kids, but the adults soon took it over. Always a good time no matter who your playing it with.

Ravensburger Make 'N' Break - Family Game