Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon May 30, 2010
I've been trying to figure out the best way to review this book. On the one hand, hard-core rawies maybe won't like the fact that the authors are not 100% raw all the time. But me? I like this. They may say that the recipes are so simple, so why write them into a raw cookbook? Yes, they are simple, but they are very different than those I've seen in other raw books, and I have, I swear, most every raw book published! I enjoy and get inspiration and ideas from them all. But taste and simplicity are the themes here.

In addition to the great recipes, this book is pretty - nice layout, photos, etc., and honestly I am a sucker for pretty books. But again, I am enamored with the ease of these recipes. I think it's almost validation for how I eat and most usually approach the raw thing, meaning - in the summer and early fall and even spring it's much easier and feels more natural to eat a lot of raw. But I live in the Midwest, and in the winter, it is very counterintuitive for me to hunt for pineapple and mango to make a smoothie. I want root vegetables - sometimes cooked - and miso soup. And I won't apologize for that. (There are no cooked recipes in here and none for miso soup, I was just making a point.) I do love the raw recipes that use these root veggies (parsnip, celery root, sweet potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes for example)and I am totally all over the fruit porridges. I'm making my own versions with seasonal fruit and chia seeds, and although many may say it's just a smoothie with less liquid, OK - but I didn't think of it - and I love it. Especially the idea to add celery. My non-raw husband also loved the taco fixings, which we had last night.

I think those new to raw will love these recipes. And those who truly need or want to put something together quickly. A lot of books say "quick" but there are often hidden steps or recipes within recipes that make this misleading. In this book, NONE of the recipes require dehydration, so save for the recommended nut soaking in some recipes, these are very easy to do. Over this Memorial Weekend, the book has been my go-to for some needed cleansing and "body resetting." I think this is a great book for beginners, as well as for those of us who are a little burned out on the more involved recipes many raw food books contain. Right now, this is the way I want to eat, and I'm so glad I found this at a local bookstore so I could see it for myself. I look forward to more raw food books by these two women! (Hope you're working on one!)
44 comments|263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2010
I cannot list all the recipes that I love from this book, as this review would never end, but my girlfriend thinks I'm a master chef due to this book, and I never was that good in the kitchen to begin with.

As someone who used to work for a smoothie company, I can attest that the fruit smoothie recipes in this book are the real deal. I've even concocted my own recipes based on the ones from the book, all though the originals always seem to taste better than mine.

Overall this book is an A+. The food is consistently good, the recipes are easy to follow (which is important) and I'm eating healthier every single day, and have even given up fast food!

Please buy this book, you won't regret it.
on September 17, 2010
I've been flirting with raw food for a while now but ever since i received this book, i have yet to eat a cooked meal. All recipes come out beautiful and delicious, including desserts! Raw carrot cake and raw tacos were a hit at an omnivore's potluck dinner and got everyone interested in raw foods.
I do not own a dehydrator and until last week i did not have a spiralizer either, but you really don't need any special equipment for the recipes in this book.
Looking forward to see what the authors will publish next. Anyone remotely interested in raw foods should give it a try and begin with this book.
on December 12, 2010
Great little book...will bring you closer to tasty heathy foods, especially if your are suffering from an illness and want to energize you sick body. Love It! I'm like all of these type books. The raw diet helped me be able to eat three full meals a day, (no eating in between, stomach has to rest sometime you know) three full meals a day and with satisfaction! And the weight just dropped off, 10 pounds a month, or 2 1/2 pounds a week, I lost 60 pounds! Raw eating is so wonderful!
on December 16, 2011
Pros: simplified recipes for beginners; inspiration, for those who need to add healthier options to their diet
Cons: Canola oil is used in many recipes; yes that can be substituted, but to claim it is "useful" in a raw food book is simply appalling...industrialized crop made up oil name...
on January 23, 2011
I LOVE this book. I'd probably have bought it for the photos alone. Most food prep books have a small handful of photos stuck in the center and that's it. This one has large, as in almost life-size, yummy photos on almost every page. It's almost a coffee table picture book.

It's a really nice thing to be able to decide what you want to make by looking at a picture of it as opposed to guessing what the recipe will make. The BEST part is that the recipes are pretty darn simple and with ingredients you can find. Unlike anther raw food book I have where the recipes are complex and filled with expensive and hard to find ingredients. Who wants to have to mail order stuff to make dinner?

Everything looks delicious, doesn't require exotic equipment, or ingredients. Plus, because the recipes are simple you can easily doctor them to your liking. Simple example is the seriously yummy apple pie. It's simple to make, but since I have dehydrator I chose to warm and soften the apples like a cooked apple pie. Yum!

The downside of this book is that someone skimped and didn't put in an index! What were they thinking? The table of contents is sparse and no index?!? So, if you saw something a bit ago that you wanted to try or have some ingredients and want an idea of what to make with them, you either have to remember what meal or category it was in or flip through the book to find it. Not a hardship as the book is fun to just look through, but if they make a new version (please do, there's still room on my shelf), please include an index. Heck, I'd gladly download an errata with an index.

I was going to give it 4 stars for the lack of index but I like the book so much that it probably deserves more than the allowed 5. This is a book worth having.
on January 8, 2011
I recently converted my diet to 100% raw, and this book has some great recipes that are easy to prepare and don't take a lot of preparation. The book is sectioned by meals and food types (drinks, soups, sides, breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.). I am particularly fond of the dinner section which is sub-captioned, "I'm Hungry and I Want to Eat Now!" The recipes are truly easy to prepare if you are looking for something to toss together. Just make sure you have some soaked nuts or seeds on hand for some of them. Most of the ingredients are pretty easy to find too.
on July 26, 2010
I am a newcomer to raw food, but I started with Alissa Cohen's book, Living on Live Food, which is 50% raw food theory and justification, and only 50% recipes and way too big and heavy. However, Cohen's book has some great recipes that I have used successfully.

I bought Palmcrantz and Lilja's Raw Food thinking I would like to learn some new ideas. This book has little in the way of creative recipes. It's biggest drawback is that it has no index, so if you do find something you would like to refer back to, good luck in finding it! All of the dishes it describes are for completely raw, non-dehydrated foods, so you don't need any special equipment (like a dehydrator) to follow its recipes. I tried making the "I Can't Believe Its Not Salmon Pate" recipe - and I couldn't believe it wasn't a very dull paste composed principally of sunflower seeds, almonds and carrots! This book is light on raw food meal ideas and heavy on glamorous photos of healthy-looking Swedish people. So I'm still looking for a good raw food guide.
55 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2010
The pictures and recipes in this book are simply incredible. They are not too complex or processed, which is a problem I found in other raw food cookbooks. This book is great for anyone interested in a raw food vegan diet, because in addition to recipes it has little tips throughout the pages.
I also recommend Brenda Davis's "Becoming Raw" book, which is basically a how-to book for raw food vegans (though the recipes aren't nearly as good as this cookbook).
on May 4, 2010
This book has it all, wonderful recipes, stunning photos and the presentation is straight forward and convincing. I have tried several recipes and just keep going back to sit and look through the wonderful photos!