I like a lot of raw things; though I eat a regular diet, I've preferred a lot of my foods raw for years--definitely fruits and vegetables, and some other things that would probably upset a vegan or two.

Published on June 10, 2006 by Joanna Daneman

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of plusses for Beginners
My 3-star rating is relative to my level of experience preparing healthy food (very experienced). A beginner may rate the book higher.

Pros:

1) portions are geared for 1 or 2 - the sub premise for this book

2) Offers reason and how-to for food preparation (how to soak, clean, store foods).

3) Equipment needed is basic and...
Published on March 3, 2007 by Denise H. Williams, LMT

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes-- you don't have to be a raw foodist to enjoy them, either, June 10, 2006
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)

Cornbleet's book was recommended to me by another Amazon reviewer, and I have to say, this is one book of recipes on raw foods that doesn't require a kitchen full of obscure appliances and a direct pipeline to Whole Food's exotic produce section. You can make most of these recipes from things you find in any grocery, with perhaps the addition of raw nuts like almonds, walnuts and cashews from the Indian grocery store (because they carry them in reasonably good-sized bags and are priced well, too.)

I tried the "Creamy Tomato Soup." This is a kind of gazpacho made simply with tomatoes, avocado, basil or dill, olive oil and some seasoning like salt, onion powder, garlic cloves and pepper. I made a batch, using Adobo powder because I was out of onion and garlic (this is a garlic salt with herbs used in Latin American cooking.) And, yes, think of it, I was out of onion salt and garlic but I did have an avocado and fresh basil. Pretty strange, I'll admit it. I tossed in the best of extra-virgin olive oil we had. Result? A creamy, frothy pink soup, served chilled that tasted like a buttery version of gazpacho. I had to keep from eating the entire batch in one sitting. It was refreshing and soothing. This soup can be lightly warmed if cold soups don't float your boat.

The book has attractive photography, which helps you choose some recipes like raw wraps, either in kale, cabbage or nori wrapping or you might go for the desserts which were numerous and very luscious-looking (fig cake, key lime mousse, berry crisp.) The "spaghetti" made of spiral-cut zucchini with a raw coulis of tomato, dried tomato and other herbs was served with walnut pate "meat balls." We can't eat wheat, and this was a beautiful presentation. Only problem is ONE of us doesn't eat nuts and this book is chock-full-o-nuts. I suppose you can use hemp seed or sunflower seeds if you are anti-nut, but this WILL present an issue for those who are allergic.

The author points out that raw food can be made with a blender and not much else but a cutting board and can be good for campers or motorhome travelers who may not want to go nuts with a stove.

This book has some very tempting but healthy recipes and is a nice way to get your five servings of veg a day without pounding down boring salads or boiled cabbage. Recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only the best but the raw "cookbook" I use most often, April 11, 2006
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
I've been reading about raw foods for years and acquired several books and recipes on-line. I attended the author's demonstration at Karyn's. Unlike some (not all) raw foodists, she looked very healthy and was amiable and non-judgemental. I must use this cookbook 3-4 times a week. I may have to buy a new copy because it is getting so dirty! I have made smoothies, salads, desserts and even actual entrees. With other cookbooks I might have made a smoothie or a soup here or there, with this one I'm creating full raw food courses meals. The zuccinni pasta is great as is the raw chocolate flourless cake and the blueberry tart is genius. It's nice to be able to make things for yourself vs. having to buy them from raw food restaurants (which I'm lucky to be near two). Since I have bought this book I have eaten more raw foods than ever before. I think the author is smart to realize that if the raw food trend is going to catch on, it needs to relate to busy people and communicated in a pleasant, non-preachy way. I can't wait for the next book she writes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life-Changing Book!, November 8, 2005
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
I LOVE Jenny's new book! I have dozens of raw foods books, but this is the only one that makes raw foods cooking successful for me (and my family). The prep time that other books require is what has historically overwhelmed me (I work 80 hours per week) and this book requires virtually none of that. So far, we have fallen in love with Walnut Pate Sandwich, Garden Vegetable Soup, Spinach Apple Soup, Zucchini Hummus, and Brownies. As we try others, I'm sure we'll love them all! This is the book that will change our lives and I HIGHLY recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, a realistic raw foods book!, August 13, 2006
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
I went (mostly) raw a couple of months ago. I'm STILL excited about being raw (and I'm fairly creative in the kitchen), but when I needed/wanted recipes to expand my repertoire, I began to explore books. I think I've read/tried about 12 now. I love different books for different reasons, and I've learned something from each one.

THIS one I love because:

* It's the first one I've found that's written for a REAL person with REAL lives (we're not all chefs, we don't all have fancy/expensive equipment, we don't all have oodles of extra time, we don't all have easy access to exotic ingredients). It makes being and staying raw more do-able.

* Her instructions are CLEAR. She's a teacher, and it makes all the difference.

* I LOVE that she doesn't get preachy. Although she explains the benefits of raw foods in the intro, she doesn't go overboard and say the all the problems of the world will be solved if everyone ate raw foods. (I get so tired of that! It's not a religion, folks!) It's all about the recipes. She's just giving you great, do-able recipes.

* Even though the title says "for 1 or 2" I am doubling many of these for my family of four and they work great.

I've been turning my mom onto raw foods, and this will be the first book I give her.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only raw food recipe book you need., March 10, 2006
Amazon Customer (Richland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
I, like many other reviewers, have somehow managed to establish a collection of raw food recipe books, but this is the only one that never seems to get put back on the shelf. Why? It's always on one counter or another, open and in use. The recipes Really Are simple, and delicious. The apple crisp in particular - it's amazing. I don't usually take the time to write reviews, but this book is worth it, and many kudos to the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Godsend, April 29, 2006
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
I have been playing with raw foods for several years now, and would end up in frustration because the recipies either were too complicated, or needed to many expensive things to work....But this book has been a God send for me....For the first time in 6 years I have kept raw for a week! I am so excited at how easy it has been....The way you lay everything out and explain it has enabled me to easily be raw....THANK YOU!!!

Melissa Belden

Springfield Illinois

5.0 out of 5 stars Super and Quick, March 1, 2006
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
Just like it says it is very easy. The recipes are for small quantities so you can try something out without having to eat it for days (there are just two of us) and so far every recipe we've tried has been outstanding. Made the apple crisp for my husband's birthday and he couldn't believe how delicious it was (neither could I). Tasted just like a cooked crisp without the cooking! This has quickly become our favorite recipe book and if you are just trying out the raw food scene this would be a perfect book to start with. She even lists items you need in your kitchen and a complete shopping list of foods to have on hand. Best of all for people just starting out (which we aren't, but we do sponsor a raw potluck with lots of beginners) is that it has a listing of menus. Would recommend if there are two of you that you double most of the recipes, especially if you have a hearty appetite. This is definitely a two thumbs up book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of plusses for Beginners, March 3, 2007
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)

Pros:

1) portions are geared for 1 or 2 - the sub premise for this book

3) Equipment needed is basic and low-cost. Great if your have limited space, income, time and/or food prep experience.

4) Recipes are laid out well: Yield, ingredients, equipment, variations and suggestions are included for each recipe.

5) Ingredients are readily available at most supermarkets

6) Glossary - explainations are a good education. Other indices of resources are Books and Videos, Educational Resources, etcetera.

Cons (sort-of):

The simplicity of some of the recipes make this book great for a beginner yet so obvious for someone like myself that is very adept in a healthy kitchen. Example Recipe -> Apple Juice: 4 apples - cut into chunks. Juice and serve immediately.

Overall Ms. Cornbleet delivers on her title. She gave me new ideas on how to use avocado -> Chocolate Mousse. Not bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!, November 3, 2005
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
I took a class with Jennifer a few months ago and was impressed with her easy style and good food. I ordered the book about a month ago and I have already made numerous recipes and use her recipes several times a week. Everything in the book is very simple, delicious, doesn't take much time, doesn't need a lot of ingredients, and no dehydrating or fancy techniques are needed. These are classic, basic raw recipes that you can use all the time. I have read and own many other raw books and recipe books. I definitely use Jennifer's much more by far over the other books!

Becky Kale

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick-start manual for raw foods, October 22, 2006
Melanie "mongoliamel" (Cass Lake, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People (Paperback)
This simple un-cookbook by Jennifer Cornbleet, raw food chef and instruction and graduate of Living Light Culinary Arts Institute, makes preparing delicious raw food in small quantities easy. This book covers the middle ground between simply eating a piece of fruit in its original form and creating elaborate raw gourmet meals. If preparing raw foods seemed to complicated before now, this book is for you.

Recipes are divided into sections for Breakfast (juice, fruit, and cereal), Lunch and Dinner (dips, pates, and savory sauces; soups; salads; salad dressings; sandwiches; entrees; and vegetable side dishes), and Dessert (cakes, cookies, and bars; crisps, pies, and tarts; mousses, puddings, and sweet sauces; shakes and ice creams).

Newcomers to the raw lifestyle will appreciate the glossary, which provides definitions from agave nectar to zest. This is truly a quick-start manual that you can use to start making raw food a part of your everyday life...today!

Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People by Jennifer Cornbleet (Paperback - August 31, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01