5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite shows
Published on April 20, 2007 by Metch

3.0 out of 5 stars Another gripe beyond price gouging...
I love Rawhide. Having not been alive until more than a decade after it stopped airing, it's been great to be able to watch it on DVD. I'm not crazy about releasing of the second season in two volumes, but that didn't stop me from buying it. However, having already purchased the first season, it makes me very angry to find that Paramount has included a rerun from the...
Published on July 8, 2007 by John Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite shows, April 20, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
The Second season aired from September 18th, 1959 until June 17th, 1960 for a total of 31 episodes and was rated even better than the First, ranking 18th out of the best 30 TV shows according to the Nielsen Rating and getting 25.8% of viewers (The Nielsen Rating is the percent of all TV-equipped homes tuned to the program on an average night, as measured by Nielsen Media Research).

The Second season Vol.1 will consist of 16 episodes and they are as follows:

36- Incident at Red River Station 1/15/1960
37- Incident of the Devil and His Due 1/22/1960
38- Incident of the Wanted Painter 1/29/1960
39- Incident at Tinker's Dam 2/5/1960

I really did not like the idea of having this season being released in two separate sets or volumes due to the fact that 7 more seasons remains including this season, and if each season will be devided into two volumes I think we will have to wait at least 3 to 4 years before we have the whole show.

I hope that the future seasons will be released in Complete season sets.

Thank you for reading my review and have a nice day :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bucking the tide....., March 11, 2007
Linda H (Bellevue WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
Ok--I appear to be the only one with this opinion, but here it is: Of course, I am tremendously disappointed that the release will be only 1/2 a season, but...it's Rawhide...my all-time favorite Western. I have been waiting years for it to come out and I'm am definitely going to buy it. I would agree that this is most likely a marketing ploy to get more money out a season release, but as one commentor pointed out, 16 episodes at $29.99 comes out to $1.67 per episide, a bargain as I see it. I also wonder if the number of episodes in a typical Rawhide season, 31, has something to do with it being packaged in two parts. Season 1, which came out complete, was only 23. So, I will happily plunk down my money and enjoy watching a first-quality Western. There are several good episodes in the first 16 of Season 2 that I will be delighted to see uncut and uninterrupted.

5.0 out of 5 stars A show that is well worth the price, March 16, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
I believe someone else has already commented on this, but it bears repeating: Even for a half season, this is a better price than Columbia House ever was - either for the Columbia House DVDs of Rawhide or their VHS tapes.

And if ever there were a TV series that is well worth the money, this is it. A better western than Rawhide was never made. None of the other TV westerns of its era came this close to realism. That's a big reason why this western stands up to the test of time so much better than the others. These guys really looked like dusty, weary trailhands pushing a herd past any and all obstacles that turned up on their long, gritty trip to the railhead. I understand this series repeatedly won Western Heritage Awards during its original run, and deservedly so.

Also, none of the other westerns had the incomparable Eric Fleming lending his presence as the tough, relentlessly independent, intelligent, but not infallible boss of the drive. Of course, for the many Eastwood fans, there is also the chance to see a young Clint in the show that first made him famous.

We Rawhide fans have been waiting sooooooo long for our favorite series to become available uncut and in mint condition on DVD, and this is most likely our last chance to own remastered, complete Rawhide episodes. So no gambling on a boycott for me.

Powers-That-Be, if you're listening: MORE, MORE, MORE!! Please keep releasing more Rawhide episodes! I would gladly shell out the money here and now to buy all 8 seasons if only they were available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rawhide: the greatest western series ever made!, March 12, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
New episodes are finally available! I'm overjoyed that Paramount is continuing the series The episode "Incident at Red River Station" in this set alone is worth the price of the entire boxed set many, many times over. I'd pay a lot more than what they are charging for Rawhide, the finest of the Silver Screen Westerns.

Clint is fantastic. Rowdy sings in "Incident of the Hostages", "The Pitchwagon", and several other episodes. Clint is fantastic!

Eric/Gil is so much a man that he reminds us all of the bygone he-man era! Great role model. I can't wait to see Eric in these episodes. Both Clint and Eric were outdoorsmen their whole lives, and it shows.

Eric lived outdoors much of his life, so stands that he looks and feels so comfortable in the outdoor settings.

Guest stars are the finest I've ever seen. (James Coburn is excellent in `Incident of the Hostage Child" coming up in later seasons)

I've been waiting for years for the continuation of the series. This boxed set release is the farthest anyone had marched forward with in the series and in fact these episodes have never before been viewed by the general public in their uncut versions! Our dream of perfectly remastered, uncut episodes is finally starting to come true!

This is a tremendous series. The per episode cost is almost exactly the same as the Season 1 boxed set. ($1.87 per episode vs. $1.67 per episode for season 1)so it's very affordable. The half season format is great as it keeps the overall cost low so as to be affordable for all. After waiting 40+ years for this series, (40 painful agonizing years), I can only call this a dream come true from Paramount! After the cruel betrayal of Columbia House this release is a critical step in the continuation of the series (CH started making DVDs in 2003 and then stopped in 2004 but they did a poor job of marketing, now in the capable hands of Paramount we are finally making real progress.) ( CH had made episodes available through early episodes in season 2, at the price of approximately $28 per 3 or 4 episodes)! (Columbia House had so cruelly betrayed us in 2004 when they stopped making DVDs and only got as far as a few episodes into Season 2 at seven times the price!)

Thank you, Paramount for continuing with the series farther than anyone else and making dreams come true! Please continue with the remaining episodes! And thank you also for making this series so low cost!

I eagerly await viewing uncut, perfectly remastered episodes. Sure will look great on a big screen and I can't wait for more! I sure am getting tired of the series they make nowadays, all flash and color and little substance and attention to detail. The series is focused on human feelings instead of special affects which makes it far superior to so many shows they make nowadays. They have really forgotten how to tell a good story nowadays. That's why we need Rawhide in our viewing all the more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest western series of all time!, March 15, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
This series was about working trail drovers. It had a memorable theme song, Rowdy sings "Beyond the Sun" in an early episode. "Wishbone" was a beloved and it was great to se Sheb Wooley "Pete" as a taciturn cowboy.
This is the best western series I've ever seen. I've been waiting since the 80's for this. We sure are spoiled now to get it all on DVD when up until recently all we had was television re-runs. This release is a landmark event, meaning Paramount knows the western market is for real and let's hope the next installment of episodes is soon on the way! Its only been ten months since the last batch from Season 1 was released (July 2006 to May 2007), so there's an excellent chance for more episodes to be released.
I'm so happy with season 1 that I can't wait to dig into these new episodes. After watching cut episodes on TV for years this is great news. This is the only source for uncut versions. Last place Columbia House only come out with 3 episodes a disk, this is great to get a load of 16 all at once now with Paramount.
The black and white sure is glorious and beautifully shot. If you're new to the series you'll get used to the black and white very quickly will soon like it. This is like a time machine that takes you back to a very special time. The music in the series is so well integrated with the show it's unbelievable and is wonderful. Gil and Rowdy's hats are of almost legendary status and immediately identify the show.
So many details of the old west in this series, it's really great. It's true that Gil and Rowdy rule and Rawhide is #1!

24. Incident of the Day of the Dead
38. Incident of the Wanted Painter
39. Incident at Tinker's Dam

5.0 out of 5 stars Incident of the Two Volume Seasons!, March 14, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
Howdy All you guys and gals in Rawhide Land!

well thank God they are going to at least begin releasing the second season. i have to admit i have had my doubts that they would do it! and yes, it is not terribly good news that it will be released in two seperate volumes either. but alas there is precedence as Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea has been released in volumes like this as well. and as a previous reviewer stated, it probably has something to do with the quanity of episodes per season.

in any event, Rawhide is without a doubt the best TV western of all time and i will certainly buy it. and the show really starts hitting its stride in the second season too!

so Giddy Up!

5.0 out of 5 stars RAWHIDE The Second Season, Vol. 1 - Is Worth the money, March 14, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
While I understand those that feel like 30 bucks per half a season is a bit pricey, (I do too) I still think some shows like RAWHIDE are worth the money. There is nothing on TV anymore to compare to the good ol' shows of yesteryear. I will buy every season released of RAWHIDE, RIFLEMAN and HAVE GUN-WILL TRAVEL, just to mention a few favorites. Like one reviewer said earlier, it's not that expensive per episode. However, hopefully the prices will come down some as we continue to show our support of these great old shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars The gold standard in western excellence, March 18, 2007
Thoughts from various sources
-This is the landscape of Rawhide - desert, forest, mountain and plains. It is intense heat, bitter cold, torrential rain, blinding dust; men risking their lives, earning small reward - a life of challenge - Rawhide. It is men like trail scout Pete Nolan, the cantankerous Wishbone, Ramrod Rowdy Yates, good natured Mushy, and trail boss Gil Favor - these men are Rawhide!
-The time was the 1860s - Gil Favor and Rowdy Yates moved cattle across the country, with episodes depicting the struggles and hardships they faced on their cattle drive from San Antonio, Texas, to Sedalia, Kansas.
-The proliferation of TV channels, video and other home entertainment formats has ensured that the best of the past will continue to find an audience. The appeal of nostalgia in those who recall its first airing has never been better served. "Rawhide" was about the west, the cowboy and his backbreaking work on the trail. Filmed outdoors, it told absorbing stories, and included unforgettable Gil Favor, Rowdy Yates and Wishbone the cook. It launched the career of Clint Eastwood. It offered a glimpse of the best qualities of its other leading actor Eric Fleming and now begs the question of what he might have achieved had he lived. When the prevailing opinion of current television is so negative and dismissive, "Rawhide" is an example of what the medium could once achieve. The critical acclaim it received during its mid-nineties run on the UK's Channel 4 seems like proof of that.
-These were stories about the Old West you may have read about as a kid. Rawhide requires a high degree of attention to plot and character. You don't see presentations of morality issues like these any more. Rawhide reminds us of just what a great storytelling medium television can be.
-The 'heart' of the show - the pivotal character - was Gil Favor (Eric Fleming). Whether the character was in a given show for two seconds or the entire episode, Eric Fleming was counted on to ground the show and give it the successful flavor it Gil Favor was the essence and backbone of Rawhide.
-I dearly love Eric Fleming and I never hear Clint Eastwood talk about Eric Fleming or say anything nice about him-Eric had a sad childhood and he was a sculptor and a painter. It's true Rawhide was never the same when he got fired If they hadn't fired him (final season) he might still be alive. Even though Eric Fleming is dead I wish in some way they could create a tribute to him. He was a very gifted actor.
-Originally titled "Cattle Drive" but later changed to "Rawhide". Rawhide was a concentration on the harsh aspect of frontier life. This would be a series to depict the "working west" and the men and women who inhabited it. Gil was the trail boss, the supervisor of the entire cattle-drive operation. Rowdy was his right-hand man Other regulars were the cooks, drovers, and scouts who helped the cattle drive stay together.
-The show was sometimes brutal. Its situations could be apocalyptic - parched plains, anthrax, gypsy curses, ghostly riders, wolves.
-The early death of Eric Fleming is the only reason he didn't grow to be a star that would dwarf Clint Eastwood today.
-Charles Marquis Warren would have preferred ninety minutes per episode if allowed.
It's been an unforgivable crime that this series has been withheld from us for all these years. Occasionally referred to as the `lost classic', hopes are high that this classic no longer be a lost one. Thank you Paramount! Please continue with the series!
Hearing Eric's voice is something special. Eric can do it all and probably better than anyone has or ever will. I don't think anyone will ever be able to convey what Eric was able to achieve in this series.
Rowdy is excellent, endearing and simply oozes masculinity! We need to go back to the 1950s and 1960s when it was okay to show men acting like real men!
Hard feelings develop as they do in real life and the confrontations in this series are riveting. The focus of the series is human feeling, often powerful feelings -not special effects, like too many shows nowadays. It seems as though special effects, too often, are the stars today.
The DVDs are uncut and digitally remastered and after comparing them to my old copies from television the difference is night and day. We sure are lucky to have this great series available with such a razor sharp picture! The close ups have such clarity it's amazing. This kind of clarity was never available to us in the past, but it's possible now. I can't wait to view it on the new big screen TVs they're making nowadays. The continuation of the classic Rawhide is a landmark event for fans of the western!

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST BUY IT, May 26, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
I can't believe the rubbish being discussed here. We have the opportunity to purchase the best western series of all time ever! Then there is no discussion! If you are a dedicated Rawhide fan, especially an admirer of Eric Fleming, then you will buy it. If you are not a true fan , then you won't! You are living in a dream world if you think it will be picked up by time life. Very few series are. The way things are going is half seasons. I completly agree I hate that, but there is no way that I will miss this opportunity. I live in the U.K. I have to pay more to get it shipped but I will gladly do so. If we don't buy it we doom this release to failure and no more Rawhide. Simple choice then- we buy it and grab the chance to view beautiful pristine prints of our heroes.If you can't afford the price you have my sympathies but to doom this releaae to failure out of stubborn obstinacy is cutting every Rawhide fan's throat.

5.0 out of 5 stars cattle drive, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 (DVD)
Another of the classic westerns, always a good plot sometimes ahead of its time. These are characters that we grew up with as children and good to be able to see them again.

Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1
Rawhide: Season 2, Vol. 1 by Eric Fleming (DVD - 2007)
$39.98 $19.75