4.0 out of 5 stars Untraditionally traditional
Let me start by disclosing that my entire travel team plays in these pants. We purchased (mostly directly from Rawlings, but a few "completers" from Amazon) 48 pairs and have been playing/practicing in them for over a month. We don't have a full-season on them yet, but have some good data!

So... If you're looking for light weight pants that seem as though they...
Published 20 months ago by Richard B. Nickels

3.0 out of 5 stars Much bigger than other styles
Published 18 months ago by Mrs. H.

4.0 out of 5 stars Untraditionally traditional, April 23, 2013

So... If you're looking for light weight pants that seem as though they will survive a long season (unless you have a vigorous slider), these pants might be for you. The black, although not popular with traditionalists, is awesome from a washing perspective and I think looks great on the field, too. Orange knees and hips on grays and whites looks sloppy and makes teams look disheveled. The Rawlings YPB31MR pants have a somewhat traditional cut from hip to knee with a little room (slightly baggy) to move, but are pretty narrow from the knee down. They are nicely made and pre-hemmed. The bottom hem is tight which is good since they are pre-hemmed. Shorter, uhhh... wider players won't have to hem them or have them hanging over their cleat heels as the stumble and tumble their way to 1B! For perhaps some helpful fit reference:

YL is perfect for a 5'-1", 94 pound 10 year-old boy with a +/-25" waist and long legs
YXL is perfect for a 5-2", 88 pound 11 year-old with a 24" waist and VERY long legs.

If your player slides hard, you will burn these pants up since they are light-weight BY DESIGN. If your player slides hard or plays on gravel lots get the Mizuno's with the on-board sliding girdle/padding, but for warmer climates (or in our case- HOT, mid-Atlantic games), I LOVE the lightweight fabric. Weigh the trade-offs depending on playing style and climate.

NOTE: I do not like the adult version of these pants. Like most men's baseball pants, the waistband to crotch height is about 4 feet! Your options are to take the field like Steve Erkel with your belt in your armpits or like MC Hammer with crotch at your knees. Your choice, but neither works. I don't care how well you move- baseball is NOT hammer time! Uh oh! Uh oh! Uhhhh oh!

3.0 out of 5 stars Much bigger than other styles, June 7, 2013
Mrs. H. (Memphis, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This is the 4th pair of Rawlings Youth baseball pants that I've gotten this year but the first with the unfinished bottom. I like the fit of the small in the other kind. But my son wanted the loose bottom for All-Stars because that style is more popular. I ordered this one in the small as well (he wears a size 6 or 7 slim in pants) but they are really too big. I would send them back and swap but I don't have time so he is going to wear them with a tight belt. I would recommend going down a size if your child is very thin like mine. My son is also very tall for his age but we have plenty of length (not really the case in the fitted bottom leg style) so I should have went with the X-Small. I'm just very surprised in the differnces between the fitted and loose leg Rawlings pants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these, June 23, 2012
Perfect fit. Comfortable. My son loves them. I used the chart, and it was perfect. The white ones even release red clay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pants, March 30, 2012
My son is an Adult small or normally a XL youth. The length on the XL was not enough so we tried this XXL Youth pant and he loves them so much I'm ordering another pair. These pants have the belt loops which is a must for him (the waist is a little big) and it has the flat bottom (not bunched) which he was looking for. This pant also has reinforced knees which I hope will last longer. Great pant and I would recommend to others to purchase. You can't beat the price through Amazon and the shipping speed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pants for the boy., June 5, 2013
I have a slim athletic son and these were just what he needed. The youth small was perfect in the waist and length for my 9yr old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, May 5, 2013
My son is thicker through the thighs and rear and these pants fit great! Great length too. Highly recommend them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for tall skinny player., November 20, 2012
This review is from: Rawlings Youth Relaxed Fit YBP31MR Baseball Pant (Sports)
After reading reviews and sizing charts, opted for the Y XXL. Did not work - length was great for 5'2", but waist would never work, even belted it was too big. Still looking for the right fit for a 27.5" waist + 28" inseam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pants, July 10, 2013
Excellent! These are NICE looking pants and have held up well to a season of play. I got the medium for my 60lb/4ft 9 year old. I had to hem them because they were a bit too long but the waist with a belt fit great. The material is a nice quality and he really likes the hip padding. An excellent choice! I look forward to letting him wear them another season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husky kid, October 29, 2013
These pants fit my son who is Husky size 16. Fit him perfectly and allowed him to have room to move still, not being too tight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 18, 2014
My son wears a size 10/12, and these were a tad snug on him, but I'd rather them be sung than loose, right? So i'd say they ae a perfect fit :-)

Rawlings Youth Relaxed Fit YBP31MR Baseball Pant