Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Price:$157.90+ Free shipping

on January 20, 2012
I ordered 3 pairs: black, polarized, 55mm; tortoise, non-polarized, 52mm; tortoise, non-polarized, 55mm, so I was able to compare the sizes, colors and polarized feature of these glasses. Here we go.

1. Authenticity: All of the 3 pairs were sold by Amazon.com, and they all seemed genuine to me. Not even a doubt. Solid and clear. I did notice that the black pair was missing the engraved "RB" on the back of the left lenses. I don't know why.

2. Polarized: The polarized feature doesn't bother me at all in reading LCD screens, nor does it improve the view much (it cuts out a little more light, but not much difference).

3. Sizing: I am a small guy and have narrow face. The 52mm is definitely for children: a bit tight (even for me) and looks like a toy; The 55mm looks great, although i feel they can be loose sometimes (look good, but wear loose). I strongly recommend 55mm if you have to get these, unless you are buying for your kids.

4. Looks: They both look great, but I prefer the tortoise ones that are a little bit different but not too special. Another thing to note is that other people can see your eyes more easily through the ordinary lenses than the polarized lenses.

5. comparison to the OriginalWayfarer (2140): later I got a pair of 2140 (Original Wayfarer, 54mm, tortoise color) for my cousin. The Original Wayfarers are a bit more expensive, but feel they are of better quality: stronger metal hinge, thicker and heavier plastic. Size-wise, the Original Wayfarers are between the 55mm and 52mm New Wayfarers. Style-wise, the Original Wayfarers have a larger angle pointing forward.

Try them out in store and buy them here! great quality and price. Just make sure they are "sold by Amazon.com" after you make the selection (there are many different sellers on Amazon). Cheers~~~

BTW Amazon says free returns on these, and they didn't even ask a word when I returned two pairs and paid for return shipping. Great customer service.
1717 comments|744 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2013
Initially designed by Raymond Stegeman and manufactured since 1956 the Ray-Ban Wayfarers were revolutionary compared to the clichéd metal frames of past sunglasses. The early popularity of Wayfarers throughout the 1950s and 1960s was attributed not only to look and comfort but also seen by way of celebrity acceptance of the design. Roy Orbison, John F. Kennedy, Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol all prominently sported Wayfarers for the ever watching public eye.

However the design became near extinct in the early 1980s due to the decline in sales of the 1970s. Despite the slight reemergence in 1980, due majorly in part to the Dan Aykroyd/John Belushi hit movie The Blues Brothers, Wayfarers were on the verge of discontinuation; selling only 18,000 pairs in 1981.

As fate would have it Wayfarers were completely resurrected in 1982 when Ray-Ban signed a yearly payment contract with Unique Product Placement of Burbank, California for $50,000. The deal was simple: Wayfarers were to appear in 60 Hollywood films and television shows per year for the next five years in exchange for $250,000. It was a contract that made Ray-Ban millions and projected the classic Wayfarer design across the world. Movie stars, musicians, artists and celebrities alike wore them in films, music videos, photographs and magazines making Wayfarers the sunglasses of necessity for the 1980s.

The roller coaster ride hit a drop in the 1990s when 'wrap-around' frames popularized the market, striking a blow to the classic Wayfarer design and leaving them forgotten to the masses yet again. That is until 2001 when the New Wayfarers made the scene with a smaller and less angular design, a lighter injected plastic and a multitude of new colors. The redesign helped the 2000s to be a nostalgic success, bolstering the best sales in over a decade and reuniting the public with the classic, comfortable design that made them popular to begin with.

So here we are in 2013 and the 'New Wayfarers' are already over a decade old and still selling. Widely regarded as the 20th century's most enduring fashion icons the Wayfarer design is comfortable, light and always classic. For those of you browsing the Amazon product page looking for your perfect pair of New Wayfarers there are a few things you might want to know. First thing: the size.

You may have noticed the option of purchasing either 52mm or 55mm sized Wayfarers on the product page. This combined with a plethora of reviews regarding the sizes that fit best seem to be a matter of major confusion. Many of the reviews for this product, including the most popular, are simply wrong and misleading. There is no difference in frame size between the 52mm and the 55mm design and the number is a reference to the lens size. What does this mean? Well, if you purchase the 55mm your lenses will be slightly rounder: that's it. The reviewers complaining about the 52mm being too tight as opposed to the 55mm are misinformed. I've included measurements below and the sizes for both products are as follows:

Ray-Ban New Wayfarers 52mm:

Total size:18-145mm
Lens: 55mm
Bridge: 18mm
Temples: 145mm

As you can see there is no difference despite a slightly larger lens opening on the 55mm. I don't understand how so many reviewers could get this wrong unless they're cross-hypnotizing one another into believing the size difference...and yes. I own both sizes.

You also may have noticed the lens option of G-15 XLT when selecting your sunglasses. What is it? G-15 XLT is a reference to Ray-Ban's glass lenses as opposed to their plastic designs. G-15 is a special technology that Ray-Ban utilizes to make the glass lenses light without sacrificing optical quality. So what does the XLT stand for? Exta Light.

Some of you may not be familiar with polarized lenses, which is a buying option when selecting your New Wayfarers. Erinn Morgan of All About Vision writes 'light reflected from surfaces such as a flat road or smooth water generally is horizontally polarized. This means that, instead of light being scattered in all directions in more usual ways, reflected light generally travels in a more horizontally oriented direction. This creates an annoying and sometimes dangerous intensity of light that we experience as glare.

Polarized sunglasses cut glare and haze so your eyes are more comfortable and you can see better. Polarized lenses contain a special filter that blocks this type of intense reflected light, reducing glare.

Though polarized sunglasses improve comfort and visibility, you will encounter some instances when these lenses may not be advisable. One example is downhill skiing, where you don't want to block light reflecting off icy patches because this alerts skiers to hazards they are approaching.

In addition, polarized lenses may reduce the visibility of images produced by liquid crystal displays (LCDs) or light-emitting diode displays (LEDs) found on the dashboards of some cars or in other places such as the digital screens on automatic teller machines and self-service gas pumps.

With polarized lenses, you also may be unable to see your cell phone or GPS device. Boaters and pilots also have reported similar problems when viewing LCD displays on instrument panels, which can be a crucial issue when it comes to making split-second decisions based strictly on information displayed on a panel.'

I hope this review clears up any confusion with the design and aids you in making the correct purchase.
1818 comments|658 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2012
I purchased the Ray-Ban RB2132 52mm sunglasses from Amazon last week. As I read some reviews that some individuals were receiving a fake pair of Ray-Bans, I decided to purchase the sunglasses from "Amazon.com" as the seller. Thinking that I would be safe from receiving counterfeit sunglasses from Amazon's warehouse, I felt confident in my purchase. However, I was very wrong. When I received the sunglasses and opened the packaging, I knew immediately that these sunglasses were fake. Namely due to the following reasons:

1) No Ray-Ban logo on the right and left temples of the sunglasses.
2) On the inside temple it said, "Made in China".
3) The lenses were cheap plastic lenses, and I purchased the "polarized lenses".
4) The sunglasses for larger than 55mm, not the 52mm that I ordered.

Be wary when ordering these sunglasses from Amazon.com!
2626 comments|467 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
Let me start off by saying I have never owned a pair of Wayfarers before. I've purchased some aviator Ray-Bans in the past and opted for a change this time around. A couple weeks ago I stopped at my local mall's Sunglass Hut and browsed just a few seconds before zeroing in on the New Wayfarers. I tried them on and really liked the way they looked. I saw the price tag(174.99) and thought, "Great sunglasses, not so great price." Asked the sales guy if he could do anything on the price and he politely said, "No, sorry I can't." So off to Amazon. I found the same pair(New Wayfarer RB2132, Polarized, 55mm, Black/Grey) and then did like you are doing right now... read the reviews. We all want to belive the good ones, but as like anything else, we harp on the bad. I read all the reviews about the not-so-great experiences people had with being sent fake pairs and the disappointment of dealing with that. But I decide to roll the dice anyway. (I did make sure that the order was fullfilled by Amazon to assure that if I had any issues, I could return them)
I jumped over to Youtube and watched all the videos on how to tell the difference between real and fake Ray-Bans and felt confident that when they came I would be able to tell the difference.
After impatiently waiting 5 days for the delivery - they finally came. I opened the package and took notice of the Ray-Ban box itself. The spec label was right there on the side of the box - seems right so far. I opened the box and inspected the case - sturdy, heavyweight construction, Ray-Ban logo on the button, quality Ray-Ban gold stamp on the case. Next, I opened the case and the first thing I noticed was the plastic sleeve on one of the sunglass arms. I flipped open the glasses and saw the metal hinge that connects the arms to the frames. I also found the metal bar that runs through the arms. I checked out the Ray-Ban logos on each arm and saw(felt)that they were nearly flush with the arms. I inspected the logo and etching on the lenses and was satified. They felt heavy and I heard no rattle from the lenses or squeak from the arms opening and closing.
So in all, I definitely recieved a legit pair of New Wayfarers. I very happy with them, and at a $50.00 discount it can't be beat.
on February 22, 2014
Last year I purchased a pair of Ray-Bans [Wayfarer, folding polarized] Almost immediately they broke. First, one of the bridge screws fell out and then the center bridge broke in half. Trying to get them warranted was a disaster. I decided to instead Order another pair sold by sunglass express through Amazon. They arrived late and I needed them the day they arrived to go skiiing. When I opened the box, the glass were broken. (Both lenses shattered and Ray-ban box crushed) I went and bought another pair at a local store for $177.xx. I called Amazon and they sent me a return postage to return the glasses and receive my money back.. I then received an email from Sunglass Express asking me to talk to them before I left feedback. I emailed them and started getting these form letters that didnt make sense. They didnt answer the questions I was asking, they just wanted me to send the glasses directly back to them. I finally got fed up with them and left a negative feedback. That is when they told me to send the glasses back to them but there would be a 15% restocking fee which would be returned when I removed the negative feedback.
I notified Amazon of this and they assured me that this was not allowed and they would take care of it.
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2014
I ordered three 2132 55mm for wife and two daughters. Sold directly by Amazon and not a third party. One was missing laser RB inscription on lens. Two didn't set level on any surface (frames were warped). All three had black cases. Returned all three and gave it another try. Second round received two black cases, one brown case, two warped frames, one wonky lens, and third pair looked fine but hinges were floppy loose. Please click on my name to see uploaded photos. Out of six pairs not one matched the quality of my ancient Ray-Ban Wayfarers purchased directly from Ray-Ban. These are either the worst quality Ray-Ban or counterfeits. Either way, not worth $80+, save your time and money.

I'd expect to be ripped off by a guy in an alley with sunglasses inside a trench coat, or possibly a third party on Amazon, but not from Amazon. Disappointing.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2013
I've been yearning for a pair of these shades for the past 2-3 years, but could never justify the ridiculous price-tag I would see them going for at various retail stores. Enter Amazon.com. $112.00 for the polarized black XLT green lenses was the steal of the century in my book. I know these things sell out quickly on Amazon, so I rolled the dice and ordered the 55mm's, crossing my fingers they would be a good fit. As I anxiously waited for the Prime package to be on my doorstep after work, I did a bit of research on the true difference between the 52mm and 55 mm's respectively. Conclusion: Inconclusive evidence to predict which size would be an appropriate fit for my face. The package arrives, I rip it open, pull out the shades, take off the little sticker, inspect the craftsmanship (which was 100% legit with engravings and the like), and finally put on the shades. I'm an average build size guy: I'm 5' 11 155 lbs with a thinner face (I run) and these beauties fit like a glove. If you are having any anxiety about deciding between 55mm's vs 52mm's, I hope this review is helpful.
on March 30, 2012
Size:

A lot of reviewers say guys should get 55 mm and girls should get 52 mm. That's stupid advice. People, men and women, have different size faces, so you need to figure out what fits you best. You may need to try both sizes. Also, because of fashion trends, girls can get away with wearing oversized sunglasses, whereas guys cannot. For me, I'm a guy and the 52 mm are perfect (a mm narrower and they probably wouldn't fit, however).

Real vs. fake:

I ordered three pairs 2132's through Amazon. The first pair I ordered, the seller (not amazon, but fulfilled by amazon)sent me the wrong size and I could not find the laser etched RB on the lens. I think the lenses were actually fake because they did not distort LCD screens like real polarized lenses do. The second pair I ordered from Paris Miki arrived in great condition and they were definitely real, but I didn't like the color of the lens (901/76 -- lens were too clear making my eyes visible). There are a few ways to detect real Ray Bans from fakes. 1, the laser etched RB in the lens. 2, whether the case says "ray ban" on the button. 3, the writing on the arm of sunglassses should indicate the model (2132), lens (varies; but something like 901/76), and rating (generally 3N or 3P -- 3 is the best protection available. N is for normal. P is for polarized).

Polarized vs. non-polarized:

I landed on 52 mm polarized and they are perfect for me. Polarized lenses decrease my eyestrain significantly and I could not imagine paying $100+ for nonpolarized lenses--seems like a waste of $$$ to me. Polarized lenses do slighly distort LCD screans, but laptops and cell phones are still visible for brief use. I highly recommend polarized over non-polarized lenses. The reduction in glare provided by polarized sunglasses actually enhances your vision; whereas nonpolarized lenses just darken it.
on April 22, 2014
I poured over reviews of these, and went to the Sunglass hut many times before deciding to buy. I was really worried since SGH sells these for $179 and RayBan sells them for $150. I bought them then spent probably a couple hours watching YouTube videos and reading articles on how to spot fake RayBans. The problem is everyone has a different opinion on what makes a fake pair of RayBans and most of the guides are for the original Wayfarers. My conclusion was these are real, if they are fakes I think they would fool even Luxotica. They feel very high quality, the hinges are good, they have the metal rod in the arms. The RB etching is smooth, the side logos are virtually flush (you can only tell it is raised if you run your finger over it. I even tried scratching off the RB logo on the right lens and it would not come off (some say fakes will peel off with scratching).

Here is my theory on why these are so cheap. After talking with the sales associate at SGH he said they do a 90 day return on all glasses. My guess was that when people return a pair of glasses after 3 months they don't want to just trash them so they give them to Amazon at a discounted rate and Amazon sells them. The sales associate at SGH told me they ship back glasses to HQ after a return but could not confirm what they do with them. I really have no other evidence for my theory it is just a complete guess.

As for the glasses. I'm glad I went with the Black New Wayfarer (Green G-15 lens) because I find them better looking on me and more comfortable than the originals. The sturdy build keeps them on my face and they don't slide around like my old RB knockoffs. I wear these on my daily commute in my car, and most other activities outside. Last weekend I went four-wheeling, horseback riding, and rock climbing with these and they were much better than my old glasses. I had a hard time wanting to spend $179 on these at the SGH but I am very happy to have spent $79 on Amazon. I felt bad for not getting them at the store but it is really hard to pass up saving $100.

***UPDATE*** I had these glasses on me and was in a Lens Crafters looking for new prescription glasses and saw they sell RayBans so I decided to do a comparison. I am now positive the ones I purchased on Amazon are real. There was no difference than the ones in Lens Crafters. Both pairs you can feel the Ray Ban logo on the lens if you scratch at it, you can feel the RB logo on both lenses and on both pair the RayBan logo on the left arm is slightly raised and the one on the right arm is flush. The printing on the arms were in the same spot and the hinges all feel the same. I have no idea why they are so much cheaper but I purchased another pair for my wife since they are $100 less than at the store.

After using these for a while I do wish I had purchased the polarized version. I spend quite a bit of time in my car commuting and while driving I do get glare in these lenses. I sometimes think the glare is a smudge on the lens. It's only a minor annoyance and has not stopped me from wearing them. They are fine for all other activities I do, but the next pair I get will be the polarized ones to keep in my car for driving.
on May 1, 2014
I ordered the black with polarized lenses from both amazon and Nordstrom. The packages are similar but the red prints on Nordstrom pair are a bit brighter. However the pair from Amazon is definitely being worn before or at least not new----you can see the dirt and some grease on it! Somebody tried this pair and maybe then returned it without cleaning it up? I compared two pairs together they do look similar, but as one previous comment mentioned, when you lay the pair on a flat surface, the amazon pair's uneven, one leg does not touch the surface, and Nordstrom pair doesn't have this issue at all. I'm keeping the pair I got from Nordstrom, at least I'm 100% sure it's real Ray Ban, worth paying extra 50 bucks.