1,187 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Look! Style/Size/Model Explanation
The first time I ordered these I was confused about the numbers and sizing of the glasses, and got it wrong. Here's how it works:

The glasses come with either a 50mm or 54mm lens diameter. I can't say whether they're just wider or are also taller, as I haven't tried both sizes.

They also come with a choice between two different distances between...
Published on March 10, 2010 by John B. Kalla

3.0 out of 5 stars Are they really real? Still unclear. Pretty sure.
Published on March 30, 2012 by swenpaylay

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Look! Style/Size/Model Explanation, March 10, 2010

They also come with a choice between two different distances between the lenses: 18mm & 22mm. I guess if your head is large, you'll probably want the 22mm option.

Model Number Explanation, as far as I can figure. Haven't quite got it down, but this should be close:
The set I own now: 902/57-5022
The first set of numbers is the color/style, ie: Tortoise frame = 902. The number after the slash seems to correlate with lens type, ie: Crystal Brown Polarized = 57. Therefore, 902/57 style is a Tortoise frame with Crystal Brown Polarized lens.
The second set of numbers is a little easier. The first two numbers are the lens diameter and the last two is the distance between the lenses, ie: 5022 = 50mm lens with 22mm between the lenses.

FYI: This style, 2140, is the "Original Wayfarer" style. Others include the 2132 (New Wayfarer), 2151 (Square Wayfarer), 2143 (Wayfarer II), 4105 (Folding Wayfarer), and the 9035 (Junior Wayfarer for kids).

I hope this helps!

The glasses do fog up easily, at least on my face. I believe it's because they are closer to my face than regular sunglasses. For that, and the lack of easy explanation of the styles and sizes, I subtracted a star, but I love the way these glasses look and wouldn't part with them for anything!

<edit> The New Wayfarers (2132) differ in that the lens is more shallow, so if your cheeks hit the classic Wayfarers, they probably won't with the new style. Also, the New Wayfarers have slightly thinner & lighter plastic frames. I prefer the New Wayfarers myself, but they don't make the frame/lens combination I like (Tortoise/Brown Polarized) in that model.

<edit 2> See Amazon Blonde's comments below for a correction and clarification to the explanation above.

Also, if you like the style, but not the way the Ray Bans are constructed, Maui Jim makes a more subdued, but better-made frame with the model number MJ242, sold at Sunglass Hut. They fit me better and have spring-loaded bows, which is nice. Also, they have rubber built-in to the nose, but invisible. They also don't hit my eyelashes like the Ray Bans do.

<edit 3> I've noticed several reviews stating that some sellers are shipping counterfeit sunglasses. I ordered mine from Sunglasses Botique via Amazon, and they are not fake, as far as I can tell! They have "Made in Italy" stamped on the side, the lenses are polarized and of high quality, and they feel exactly like my other New Wayfarer sunglasses. They also have "Ray Ban" in raised script on the outside of each arm. The pictures perfectly matched the sunglasses, down to the codes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Coolest Sunglasses, But Be Sure to Order the Right Size, March 27, 2009
Without a doubt, the 2140 Original Wayfarers are the coolest and most comfortable sunglasses around. I ordered them with the regular tint, instead of the Polarized lenses because my previous sunglasses with Polarized lenses made it very difficult to read LCD screens. No such problem with the regular lenses and glare never seems to be a problem either.

The only recommendation I'd make regarding purchase is to check your head size to make sure you get the right fit. I've always thought my head was pretty big, but when the original pair of Wayfarers arrived, I found that the 54mm size was entirely too big for my face. I contacted the vendor, EZContacts, and they let me exchange the sunglasses, quickly and without delay, for the 50mm size, which fit perfectly and look great. I never thought 4 measly millimeters would make that big of a difference, but when it comes to the way sunglasses look on your face, it sure does.

So, unless you have a Shrek-size head, my suggestion is to opt for the 50mm size. Oh, and when it comes to cost, I saved at least $40 buying through Amzamon versus the retail cost at my local mall's Sunglass Hut.

3.0 out of 5 stars Are they really real? Still unclear. Pretty sure., March 30, 2012
I did a lot of research when I looked into buying a pair of wayfarers. The reviews and price on the sunglass express vender made them seem legit enough. So I ordered a set of 54s, polarized. When I received the pair I was happy with how they appeared, they passed every test of authenticity i could find online. They had the metal rod in the frame, the RB on the left lense, etc, all of it. It came with all the right materials too.

But here's the kicker. The box DID NOT HAVE THE SERIAL NUMBER OR ANY SIGN OF THE AUTHENTICITY STICKER THE BOX IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE.

It also wasn't packaged well.

I heard the fakes are getting better and better so I actually called and emailed sunglass express to ask why it lacked said sticker or any serial number.

This is what they sent me, pretty much identical to what their 'at a glance' page says:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry and we are available to speak with you at 516.352.4568 Monday thru Friday 11am until 5pm est. All the frames from our site are 100% authentic. We purchase them directly from Luxottica, the manufacturer of RayBan sunglasses and eyeglasses. Please note that Luxottica is now manufacturing some of their frames in China. A lot of companies outsource for labor to keep the price down and to help with the demand of the frame. Luxottica said the sunglasses and eyeglasses you received are made with the same machinery, same materials and the same quality of labor.

Regards,

Sunglass Express

Notice that they say all of our FRAMES are authentic.

The woman on the phone was not friendly and told me that they warranty the sunglasses but ray ban does not. This should not be the case.

SO, they're either REALLY good fakes, or they PURCHASE THE FRAMES ONLY, and the rest, including the box, is knock off. Hence, the lower price and ability to claim authenticity.

In any case, I like the shades and they seem pretty real. But, lacking a factory serial number and the poor attitude of the customer service woman leaves them with two stars.

***UPDATE***

I went to sunglass hut and compared everything from the box to the shades themselves to the real thing. They are real. The boxes no longer have european recycling logos on them, and that was my main worry. Compared to the pair sunglass hut had, these were identical.

Points are still lost for 3 reasons, however:

1: Badly packaged. The box was dented upon arrival and more care could have been done.

2: Bad attitude in customer service. The lady I called was rude, plain and simple. Not cool.

3: Still no official Rayban serial number, only a sunglass express stock number.

I'm glad i made friends with the sunglass hut guy at my local mall. he said he'd do any warranty work I wanted to my pair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake Polarized Lenses, October 23, 2012
I bought a pair of Ray-Ban RB2140 902/57. They were listed as "Polarized" also was indicated with the "/57". However, once I received them I quickly realized that they were NOT polarized lenses. First off, they didn't have the "P" after the Ray-Ban inscription on the front of the right lens. Also they failed every test to check for light polarization (i.e. viewing a LCD screen and rotating the sunglasses should make the screen darken or disappear).

This may have been an honest mistake of someone putting non-polarized sunglasses in a box labeled polarized. Though once I started investigating the lenses themselves I realized that the lenses weren't even authentic Ray-Ban lenses. However, the frames were most definitely real. So someone at some stage of the process inserted (or replaced the real lenses) FAKE lenses into a pair of REAL frames! And if you know anything about high-quality sunglasses (i.e. Ray-Bans) what you are really paying for are the lenses, NOT the frames. I've contacted the seller and Amazon, but neither seems too concerned. So just keep this in mind when you receive your sunglasses. The frames may pass all of your quality control tests, but be sure you aren't being duped on the lenses!

4.0 out of 5 stars RB 2140 white/black with g-15 lenses, March 28, 2011
To be honest I was quite skeptical but now that I have the glasses in my hands (received in 5 days standard) I'm truly impressed, I received a legit pair of 2140's (hope to turn into prescription sunglasses), did my research & everything checks out, weight & high quality plastic, slant, spear things in front are proper, Ray Ban logo on lense (doesn't scratch off), RB etching inside left lense, 7 prongs (hinges) on each arm, metal bar in each arm, RB logo on the arms are proper, model info correct inside left arm Wayfarer (keywords) Hand Made In Italy on right, case is legit as is the RB box it came in (dead give away for fakes is a recycling logo on side of box), no typos and info on RB box is correct, another thing to note is that when you were them they look a bit crooked but that's normal Ray Ban right there, ordered from vendor Sunglass Express and I've added pics to help those unsure, mileage may vary cause im pretty sure fakes are in circulation, other than that 4 stars, do your research (youtube is good) before buying and good luck, hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Never Goes Out of Style, December 3, 2012
catippins (Stuart, Florida) - See all my reviews
I've been wearing Wayfarers on and off for almost 40 years. That's a long time to be attached to any one product and that should speak volumes about how timeless these sunglasses are.

First of all, here are the specs for the sunglasses I purchased and why I purchased these particular glasses:

I bought the 2140s. The 2140s are the original Wayfarer design not the newer, smaller ones (those are 2132s) which personally, I don't like.

I also opted for the 54mm lens size and I'm glad I did. Note that the 54mm lens Ray Ban has added to the lineup are larger lens - the 50mm were the original sized lens when these sunglasses were first introduced. There are a few good You Tube videos out there on this topic and if you're not sure what size lens you want, go see the videos. Just search for "Wayfarer 54mm versus 50mm" and that should get you to them. Surprisingly, I didn't realize how much of a difference the lens size would matter, but it did. I’ve got a large head and you’d be very surprised how much of a difference the larger lens make in a comfortable fit (and look).

I also bought the polarized lens which are an option. They are more expensive and in fact, they retail for $200.00 dollars in stores. Why polarized? I live in Florida and I’m out or by the water quite a bit so for me it’s almost mandatory that I want to be able to cut down or eliminate the sun’s glare. It’s an expensive option but well worth it (this will cost you here on Amazon about $30.00 dollars more, give or take).

So the designation I purchased were 901/58 (the 901 denoting the 2140 original Wayfarer and the 58 denoting the polarized lens). Why is this important? Because when you get your glasses, you’ll see along the inside left rail of the glasses “901/58”. You’ll also see “54018 3P”. The 54 means 54mm - the 018 refers to the spacing between lens (18mm) and the 3 means brightness level (3 means high brightness) and lastly the P means polarized. Why would anyone even care about this? Because there are fake Ray Bans being sold that don’t have this information on the left rail. It’s a good idea to go watch the videos on fake versus real Ray Ban’s - you know where to go to find the vids.

I wore fake Wayfarers for a while simply because I got tired of shelling out $150.00 dollars every time I lost a pair or sat on them or they walked off, etc. The bottom line? There is a reason why people shell out $125.00 and more for Ray Ban Wayfarers and that reason is quality. The lens are beautifully crafted glass, not crappy plastic. The connection between the side rails and the sunglasses are 7 point hinges made of anodized metal. There is a metal rod that goes through the length of the side rail, too.

Everything about Ray Ban screams (albeit subtlety) quality and excellence.

The best part about buying them here on Amazon? The great price. You’ll easily save $50.00 dollars or more off what you’d spend at a mall or specialty sunglass shop.

In summary I’ll say this: If you’ve never owned a pair of Wayfarers you owe it to yourself to try a pair. There is a reason why everyone from Jack Nicholson to Debbie Harry has worn them and why they never go out of style: quality never does.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Mama Bear" of the Wayfarer Line: Just Right, May 7, 2011
After reading the reviews and researching pricing for both the Original Wayfarer and the New Wayfarer, I was still torn on what to buy. I've always gravitated towards more understated accessories so I decided that the New Wayfarer's thinner, lighter frames would probably suit me better. Without fully understanding the Ray-Ban sizing, I purchased what I'll call the the "Papa Bear" style/size: the 55mm New Wayfarers. But I quickly decided that they were too big for my face/head.

So I decided to exchange them for the "Baby Bear" of Wayfarers: the 52mm New Wayfarer. While the 52s fit fine, they didn't stand out the way that (at least in my opinion) Wayfarers are meant to. In other words, I could have been wearing any ol' pair of black sunglasses; they weren't even much bigger than my everyday reading glasses. In wondered what they'd done to JFK's sunglasses... or Jack Nicholson's.

So, on a whim, I gave the 50mm Original Wayfarers a try. Yes, I'd rejected the 55mm New Wayfarers for being too large, and here I was trying on Originals, which are large by design. But the notable difference between the two pairs, I found, was the ratio of frame to lens. The New Wayfarer's thinner frames simply make them look TOO "lens-y," whereas the Original Wayfarer's proportions are perfect! I don't feel like I'm being encased in glass.

In the end, it took 3 transactions, an extra $26, and a trip to the mall on a busy holiday -- but I'm thrilled that I gave the Original Wayfarers a try. The third fitting was, as the philosopher Goldilocks might have said, "just right!"

So, if you like the look of Wayfarers, why bother with anything but the classics! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (And if they do break, by another paid of originals!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous & Authentic, Made in Italy!, March 23, 2013
I ordered the Ray-Ban Original Wayfarer RB 2140 in White/Texture/Azure Mirror Blue Gradient, 50mm, from HDO Sport on Thursday and received it on Saturday! It comes with the special red case, red Ray-Ban cleaning cloth, Ray-Ban pamphlets, and a Ray-Ban Rare Prints Special Series Certificate of Authenticity, all placed in a matching red hard box. These sunglasses are absolutely stunning! The Azure Mirror Blue lenses are dreamy. The London Texture is so cool only you would know. This is the real thing, "hand made in Italy"... no worries here :) Nice packaging & super fast shipping make this one awesome transaction!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible glasses, and worth every penny!, August 30, 2010
Drew (Springfield, IL) - See all my reviews
I've always loved the Wayfarer style. It's really the only thing that "works" for me. I can sort of pull off Aviators and Clubmasters, but the Wayfarers are what look perfect on me (or really anyone, for that matter; they're not too hard to pull off). So, obviously, I would scour every store I could to find a cheap pair of glasses with a nice Wayfarer style. I payed $20 for two of them. One broke after a few months, and the other lasted (surprisingly) two years. Regardless, each pair finally crapped out on me with the lens falling out. I decided, at that point, to look into why expensive glasses should really be so expensive.

I always wanted Ray-Ban glasses, but I always thought the price was too outrageous to consider them. When my two cheap pairs broke, and I discovered a pair of my dad's old Ray-Bans still kicking after well over 20 years, I thought that there had to be something to their price tag. I immediately went to my local Sunglass Hut and tried them on, and I was convinced at that point. I immediately came home and ordered a black polarized pair on the spot. Five days later, I had my glasses.

This is the 2140 pair, however. The difference being that the 2132 is the "New" Wayfarer style, which is more rectangular and streamlined. Because of this, the 2132's feel lighter and almost flimsier, and the look of them just isn't for me. Keep in mind that I don't think the 2132's will break easily. It was just my opinion that, compared to the 2140's, they didn't have as heavy duty of a feel to them. The 2140's, the minute you hold them, feel like they're built like a tank. Some might not like this, but that helped me decide to buy those. Along with that, they have a much more squared look to them, and they tilt into your face, while the 2132's are straight.

My glasses came in a brown leather case, which I found odd, as I had seen tons of videos of people with black cases with black sunglasses, and brown ones with the tortoise shell style. Maybe they're random, or maybe it was just a mix-up (don't worry, the glasses are real, they have the etching and everything). Open it up, and inside is booklets with Ray-Ban's styles and their impact, along with a microfiber cleaning cloth. They had a tiny bit of scruff on one arm, which I found odd. There were what looked like tiny scratches on one small part of it, which is sort of a bummer, but it's not like it's in a noticeable place, nor is it deal-breaking in any way.

When you wear the glasses, however, is when you really see why you spent the money you did. People think cheapo glasses cover their eyes just fine, and to an extent, it's true. If glasses say they'll cover a good amount of UV rays, they'll cover that amount--normally the same amount as the expensive glasses. There are problems, however. One, they normally distort colors, and two, they don't protect from glare, which still causes the eye to have to squint to keep light out. My pair is polarized, which obviously helps reduce a ton of glare, so I can't speak for regular sunglasses, but the minute you put them on, you're amazed at how much detail they bring out. Even more amazing is that, even when the sun is blaring in your eyes, you still don't have to squint nearly at all. The glasses just do so much more than you could ever think they would. I recommend even more for you to get polarized lenses. They're a bit more pricey, and you'll find your (presumably) LCD phone screen to look very weird while you wear the glasses, and if you're a photographer, your polarized lenses won't react well to your glasses (but why would you wear glasses when you look through the viewfinder, anyways?), but otherwise, it's worth all the money to get them.

Overall, Ray-Bans are worth every cent you pay, and are incredibly durable. They'll hold up through the years while still looking fashionable. I can't say the same for those one-lens glasses and giant lens ones that seem to be all the rage nowadays...

5.0 out of 5 stars Please note the differences between the 50/22 and 54/18, November 13, 2009
As one of the other reviewers stated, Paris Miki Optical is one of those companies where you would refer everyone you knew, that happened to be in the market for any sort of eye wear that they stock. The prices are fair, but more importantly the customer service is beyond measure (especially Brian).

The first pair I ordered turned out to be larger than initially expected (by no fault of the seller), and thus after contacting Brian at Paris Miki Optical; he made sure he took care of me. The customer service was beyond exceptional. I rarely give glowing reviews, but this purchasing experience was so well executed, that I can't help but give 5 emphatic stars. Will do business with again, and would recommend them to the readers as well.

If the bridge width of the 50/22 is a little wide for you, and you're considering the 54/18 due to concerns of the bridge width, there is something that you should know. Not only are the frames wider (54mm per lens) but the bottom of the frame that sits near your cheeks are also a lot more rounded than the 50/22, giving the overall silhouette a more softer feel and perhaps even a bit more jovial demeanor. After trying on the 54/18, and noting that the difference in the comfort on the bridge area was negligible, I opted to exchange mine for the 50/22. Since we all know that the point of original classic Wayfayers are about only three things: Classic style, no nonsense hardcore design lines (JFK, James Dean, etc), and being blind (Ray Charles).

Also a word of advice, if you receive your sunglasses, and the edges of the lenses seem like they are peeling off the polarization coating, try and clean them vigorously with proper cloth and lens safe solution, and you'll realize it's just dust and slighty sticky goo. I was actually quite concerned when I received my replacement because of this. But after some elbow grease it was as good as new. I'm assuming it was just in storage for a while. Either way, these sunglasses are great, I picked up the 901/58 50/22 when all was said and done, and absolutely love them. Glad I got them just in time for my trip. If you're considering some classically designed sunglasses that are also good quality, look no further than the RB 2140, and may their appeal flow like the Euphrates!

Ray-Ban RB2140 Original Wayfarer Sunglasses