4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Ray Bans with a great twist
Published on October 24, 2009 by Georgina L. Sparks

3.0 out of 5 stars especially given they come in a sturdy case, were they preowned
they arrived bent, the arms were uneven, lopsided, so it was impossible for the glasses to evenly on your face. not sure how this can happen, especially given they come in a sturdy case, were they preowned, returned, repackage, and resold?
Published 1 month ago by johnny arizona

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Ray Bans with a great twist, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Ray-Ban RB2140P Original Wayfarer Sunglasses (Eyewear)
RB2140P: These are the Ray Bans that I remember my dad wearing growing up. However, these are even better, because they have polarized lenses. The lenses are amazing, they make a huge difference and I cannot imagine ever going back to non-polarized lenses. This is the best price I found on these sunglasses and I searched high and low, even factoring in [...] specials.

I don't have much to say about the shape, they are the classic Ray-Bans, not the "new" shape (RB2132) that you see most celebrities wearing. The lens slants back towards your face, they are not perpendicular to your face. I happened to like the originals, but I know that most prefer the newer lens, so keep this in mind when ordering. However, at this time Ray Ban does not make the new style with the polarized lens.

Polarized lenses reduce the glare off surfaces and reduce my need to squint, which I love because who wants wrinkles around their eyes? I make everyone try on my sunglasses so they can experience the polarized lens and now all family and friends have been converted. If you live in a place that you need to wear sunglasses throughout the year, this is a great investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not the name on the side, it's the quality of the product., August 16, 2012
This review is from: Ray-Ban RB2140P Original Wayfarer Sunglasses (Eyewear)
I ordered these Ray-Ban classic wayfarer RB2140 size 50mm in tortoise with green polarized lens (902/58 for those into model numbers). This is my third pair of RayBans this year. I chose the green polarized lens instead of the tortoise/brown lens because my experience with the green lens has been that they give you a true representation of color. In fact, colors tend to pop through the green lens--the sky looks deeper blue, the grass looks greener, cars look brighter. I haven't noticed any color distortion with them.

The good: The tortoise is so dark it looks black unless you're in direct light. The lenses are unbelievably clear. The fit is tight and the build is solid.

I have owned polarized lenses before and I was worried about using my cell phone while wearing these glasses. With my iPhone 4s, I can barely tell any difference between my polarized and non-polarized Ray-Bans. In fact, I can use my laptop and watch my LCD TV with the glasses on. I also don't notice as much fuzziness on the windows of parked cars as I have with cheaper polarized glasses I've owned in the past.

The frames are very thick compared to more modern styles of sunglasses but that doesn't interfere with vision.

The bad: THREE Ray-Ban logos, although the logos on the earpiece are somewhat small and tend to blend in on the tortoise color. The logo printed on the lens itself, however, tarnishes the look IMO.

When driving in late afternoon / early evening, I get lots of light coming in from the side. There's no wrap with Wayfarers.

These do not fit me nearly as well as the RB2132 "New Wayfarer" glasses that I own. However, these glasses can be easily adjusted by an optician or by a glasses shop. A lot of people complain that these glasses are too tight compared to the RB2132, but the temples can be bowed and shaped so keep this in mind. In fact, while taking a pair of Persols to an optician to be adjusted, she adjusted my RB2140 Wayfarer glasses WITHOUT using the hotbox, just by making a couple of very slight, strategic bends in the earpieces. While I wouldn't recommend doing that, she's obviously sold and worked with Ray-Bans enough that she knew what she was doing. I felt a lot less pressure from the fit after she made those adjustments, without the glasses sliding any more than normal.

The problem with the fit, for me, is the slant at which the glasses sit. The bottoms of the frames ride on my cheeks and the glasses slide quite a bit on my face when I talk and especially when I laugh. I'm planning to buy some stick-on nose pads to try and help this problem.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with these glasses and I've been wearing them every time I go out ever since they arrived. I purchased them mainly for driving a collector car with a painted dash and lots of chrome, and while I haven't had the opportunity to test them out in this capacity yet, I believe the slanted angle at which they sit will actually be perfect for blocking out the glints and glare from the dash on sunny days. Plus they have that vintage '50s / '60s look that match the car perfectly.

If you're reading this and trying to chose between the RB2140 and the RB2132, maybe this will help.

I have a pair of 55mm RB2132 and they are bar-none the most comfortable glasses I've ever owned. They have a classic look but they are also rounded at the bottom and, except for the chrome rivets on the temple, look almost nothing like the traditional wayfarer when placed side by side. The RB2132 earpieces curve outward and don't touch my temples at all until close to my ear, and most of the pressure is placed behind my ears to hold the glasses securely in place. In fact, the glasses feel like they snap on my head. I have issues with chronic headaches and I can wear the RB2132 all day without having any pain from pressure. I can even wear the RB2132 while having a bad headache and they help relieve the pain. They don't slide off and they never needed any form of adjustment to fit. The lenses sit far from my eyes and I have never had issues with my eyelashes scraping the lenses.

The 50 mm RB2140 are basically the same size as my 55mm RB2132, but they have a more masculine, square shape. The earpieces don't have nearly as much curve and they press into my face at the temples, even after adjustment. This is not uncomfortable, but it isn't as comfortable as the RB2132. They also sit closer to the face, and I have had times when my eyelashes smeared the lenses to the point I had to clean them, even though I couldn't feel my eyelashes touching them. That problem seems to have gone away as I've gotten the glasses broken in.

Personally, I prefer the fit of the RB2132 and the look of the RB2140. If I could only have one pair, I'd go with the RB2132 simply for the extreme comfort. If that vintage look is important to you, then go with the RB2140 and get them adjusted to best fit your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect shades, July 5, 2010
This review is from: Ray-Ban RB2140P Original Wayfarer Sunglasses (Eyewear)
got the regular black ones from sunglassexpress (great store). I always wore aviators but I lost my good pair, vanished into thin air I think. Now I may never go back... I do not miss the skinny metal arms and frames (Ray Bans are sturdy, but by their nature aviators do not survive many accidental crushings) and the protruding nose pads that get tangled up in my hair. Wayfarers have none of these issues, just pure sun-blocking and bloodshot eye-hiding power.

Quality and comfort is excellent, and they come with a nice snap case (mine was brown leather.. I also have a black Ray Ban case that came with my aviators, so I don't know if they use different cases/colors for different sunglass styles or colors or what. you may want to ask the seller if it matters to you) and lens cloth like all Ray Bans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ray Bans, October 6, 2012
Leslie Harding (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
These are the first sunglasses that I have ever consistently worn because they are ridiculously stylish and surprisingly comfortable. I keep the case and the cleaning cloth in my purse. They don't leave little dents on the sides of your nose, and they just look super cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic and Classy, May 15, 2014
Great quality and fit - polarized are fantastic for driving and cutting glare on bright days. I am female with a medium face - they are big, but that is cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sunglasses, Slow Service, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Ray-Ban RB2140P Original Wayfarer Sunglasses (Eyewear)
I tried this sunglasses before buying them and they were really awesome. The polarizer help so much from the glare and the frame fits perfectly on my face. The quality is excellent hand made from Italy. The problems I had with this sunglasses is that they leave red marks on my nose after i wear them because they create it tight so the glasses doesn't fall off your face. In addition, the delivery took about over a week so I wasn't too happy about that. Overall, for the price of this ray ban, you can't go wrong. This is the lowest price you will find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30, 2014
Very Good product and delivery,

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THEM!, June 12, 2014
This is my second pair of Wayfarers (still have the first pair purchased in 1994!) and this time I'm trying the polarized version. Love the color, love the style, love the classic look - now made even better with no glare! Well worth the $$$ and thanks to Amazon I didn't have to pay full price!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Stay Classy., June 1, 2014
Classy shades at a great price. Great quality, and the polarized lenses are definitely the way to go.

The original Wayfarer shades have a good solid feel, and a wider frame than the new style. If you are looking for the classic wayfarer style, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great glasses, August 13, 2013
Great sunglasses very sexy on male or female. I never thought I would look good in these glasses but I did. Love them. Much better in price on this site.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›