5.0 out of 5 stars Hope these are legit (Edit: These are legit)
I just received these glasses today. They do seem fake, which would be highly disappointing considering the price. I am going to take them to sunglass hut to compare before I return them. There are some imperfections in the frames and the box seems like it was printed using an inkjet. The sticker on the lenses seems off as well. I will follow up with my verdict...
Published on May 31, 2012 by Ernie Guaimano Jr

3.0 out of 5 stars I am undecided if they are authentic.
I purchased a pair from a sunglass hut in LA for about $200. A few days later I checked amazon and they were only $112! I thought that was too good to be true.. So I ordered a pair through amazon. When they arrived, my initial impression was that they were real. However upon closer inspection, I started to see minor differences.
Differences:
1. the arms on the...
Published 10 months ago by Tong Yang

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope these are legit (Edit: These are legit), May 31, 2012
This review is from: Ray-Ban RB4147 Flat Top Boyfriend Sunglasses (Eyewear)

After doing further research, I am more confident the Ray Ban's legitimacy. I have emailed Ray Ban directly asking to verify a few questions. I will update again when I have a reply. (Also changed my rating from 3 to 4 starts. Will give 5 if I can verify that they are 99% real).

Ray Ban answered my email. As long as your order is sold and shipped (fulfilled by) Amazon.com, your Ray Bans are real. According to Ray Ban Amazon is an official dealer and therefore and glasses sold by them are real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sunglasses, Awesome price and Awesome Ray-Ban customer service., November 14, 2013
I found these at Sunglass Hut and they are almost $200 which I am not willing to pay for sunglasses. After looking on Amazon I fund the for a way better price but like a lot of you I am always concerned with anything sold online. So I placed the order for these glasses and after reading some of the comments with the concerns I decided to contact Ray-ban my self and I asked them about Amazon and also how one can tell if the (as they put it) eyewear is legit. Here is what they replied to my email -

Email reply #1 from Ray-Ban

"Hello,

Thanks for the email. Yes amazon is an authorized dealer. I am sorry to hear the authenticity of your eyewear is in question. Authentication of our sunglasses is only available by having one of our trained service technicians evaluate them. I would recommend contacting our service center if you would like to have the glasses looked at and authenticated. They can be reached at 800-343-5594 or by email at consumerwarranty@luxotticaretail.com.

Please note that if your sunglasses were purchased through an authorized dealer, you can be assured that they are 100% authentic. You can verify a dealer using our store locator online at [...]

Thanks for your time.

[...]

----

Email reply #2 from Ray-Ban

Hello,

Thanks for your email. Amazon is one of our dealers. If you have received your glasses already you can take a look at these things that will assure you that it is real. On the lenses as if you were putting on the glasses, look at the left side on the lens, you should see etched on there "rb". You can look at the temple on the inside it should RB and the 4 numbers which is the model number. You will also see numbers after that which should be your color number, eye size, and the bridge size. Hope this is helpful enough.

Best Regards,

Beatrice Ramsamy
Ray-Ban Customer Care
(866) 4RAYBAN
[...]

--------

I received the order the same day of the email reply's and I went through the checks and sure enough everything was in order. As far as why the plastic creeks I am not sure but if RayBan says they are legit then I am sold. I think that should be good enough of for most people. I will be taking the follow up step of sending my pair to their technicians but if you have any doubts be assured that Amazon will help you out with the "no questions" returns and that you can always get Ray-ban to look at your eyewear to ensure you get a legitimate product.

If you are giving the product review a negative mark because you "feel" or "think" that they are fake then contact Ray-ban an the technicians so that they can answer your questions BEFORE you put up negative reviews.

As far as the way the glasses look and feel when I tried them on they are awesome.

-----

Just a heads up. The first pair of of glass that I received from Amazon were making a lot of noise when I would put them on so I decided that I would just go to to Nordstrom's to get a pair because I didn't want to deal with getting lower quality glasses. I went to Nordstrom the same day and the first pair I tried from them also made noise when I handled them. I asked the store employees why that was and they said that they were probably just set wrong in the frame. They game me a second pair and that one did not make any noise so I bought them. When I got home I contacted Amazon about returning the pair that I got from them but instead of asking for a refund I asked for an exchange for a similar pair which they did and shipped the same day. When I got the second pair from Amazon they were as silent as the ones from Nordstrom's. I compared and scrutinized every aspect of the Amazon to the pair from Nordstrom and they were identical.

Point being is that they are real and if you do get a crappy pair just ask for an exchange until you get a good pair. Amazon is awesome and thats why I returned the pair I bought at Nordstrom's because why pay more for the same quality item?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Ray Ban 4147's, March 30, 2011
David C. (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Love these shades. My friends all think the shades look cool on me. Dealer sent them to me very quickly and they were much cheaper than sunglass hut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my big fat head, July 11, 2014
The best sunglasses that fit my fat face. Finally, I no longer look like a big fat head idiot with tiny Ringo Starr glasses on—I look like I have glasses that fit my disproportionally humungous melon. Let me get this out of the way: I have a big head. These glasses fit my big head and make me look like a cool dude. Therefore, I like these sunglasses. Also, they are extremely durable. I've dropped them on the ground plenty and they haven't even exploded.

Have a big fat face? Like looking cool? Buy these sunglasses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sunglasses, June 9, 2013
These sunglasses are great! They're larger than the original wayfarer, which helps if you're a bigger (taller) guy like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent shades, January 23, 2014
suited for people with big faces… as the size is 60mm. but worth the money spend. They even are quite robust with metal hinges.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this, January 30, 2014
this is my first pair of "expensive" sunglasses and i couldn't be more pleased. i get compliments everywhere i go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid stylish sunglasses, December 25, 2011
Rob V. (Basking Ridge, NJ) - See all my reviews
I really like these sunglasses. The lenses are fantastic. They aren't too dark, and the polarization is great for the beach and fishing. They fit my large head very well which is rare. I prefer the tortoise shell frames to the typical black framed wayfarers you see a lot of people sporting these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for big heads... and not fake (if you buy directly through Amazon), August 27, 2014
These are great, and are 100% genuine. After reading some of the reviews, I was second guessing my decision but these are definitely Ray-Bans and the exact same as what you get from a retail store, but at a much more competitive price. I think some of the reviews about fake glasses are from those people that bought from another vendor through Amazon... if it doesnt say "sold and shipped by Amazon", I would be cautious. The glasses are light and fit so well - I was born with the burden of a huge head so the traditional Wayfarers just looked stupid on me, but these are perfect. The polarized lenses make a huge difference and definitely add to the overall quality. I have received several compliments on these glasses so will be keeping them for a long time!

3.0 out of 5 stars I am undecided if they are authentic., January 9, 2014
This review is from: Ray-Ban RB4147 Flat Top Boyfriend Sunglasses (Eyewear)
Differences:
1. the arms on the pair from amazon are not even. The left arm is slightly straighter than the right one.
2. The text on the inside of the arms are slightly thicker than the ones from SGH.
3. The text on the inside arms of the amazon pair have slight inconsistencies in printing.. as in there are tiny dots where you can see the paint was not fully covering. THe pair from SGH had very clean font and no dots whatsoever in the text.
4. The etching of "RB" on the lens of the amazon pair were more raised and you could see difinitive marks where the RB was carved in. On the SGH pair, the etching was so fine that it seemed to be inside of the lens and not on the surface.
5. The cleaning cloth included with the amazon pair had a more washed out logo than the cloth from SGH.
I did not receive a box with the pair from SGH so I couldnt compare that.
6. (most important) when the arms are fully extended and even flexed, the pair from amazon produced a creaking sound. The pair from SGH did not, at any time produce a creaking sound. I will say that the screws are much tighter on the Amazon pair, so I'm not sure if that had any affect, but this creak makes the pair seem more plasticky. However, the weight and feel of the frames are the exact same. There are compaints of some pairs with lenses that seemed too small and loose, and plasticky feeling frame. I tried on a pair of black boyfriends in a SGH in Las vegas, and they had the exact plasticky, loose lens feel to them that people were describing.

Similarities:
weight seemed about right.. I didn't have a scale so exact measurements couldnt be taken.
Lenses were polarized on both pairs, and tint was spot on.
color of the tortoise was pretty similar, however, the pair from amazon were slightly darker but not by much.

All in all, I am undecided if the pair from amazon are real. If they are in fact real, then they could possibly be rejects that didn't meet exact requirements for their SGH retail stores and are thus sold through amazon for such discounted prices.

Ray-Ban RB4147 Flat Top Boyfriend Sunglasses