Most helpful critical review
7 of 9 people found the following review helpful
I am undecided if they are authentic.
on January 9, 2014
I purchased a pair from a sunglass hut in LA for about $200. A few days later I checked amazon and they were only $112! I thought that was too good to be true.. So I ordered a pair through amazon. When they arrived, my initial impression was that they were real. However upon closer inspection, I started to see minor differences.
1. the arms on the pair from amazon are not even. The left arm is slightly straighter than the right one.
2. The text on the inside of the arms are slightly thicker than the ones from SGH.
3. The text on the inside arms of the amazon pair have slight inconsistencies in printing.. as in there are tiny dots where you can see the paint was not fully covering. THe pair from SGH had very clean font and no dots whatsoever in the text.
4. The etching of "RB" on the lens of the amazon pair were more raised and you could see difinitive marks where the RB was carved in. On the SGH pair, the etching was so fine that it seemed to be inside of the lens and not on the surface.
5. The cleaning cloth included with the amazon pair had a more washed out logo than the cloth from SGH.
I did not receive a box with the pair from SGH so I couldnt compare that.
6. (most important) when the arms are fully extended and even flexed, the pair from amazon produced a creaking sound. The pair from SGH did not, at any time produce a creaking sound. I will say that the screws are much tighter on the Amazon pair, so I'm not sure if that had any affect, but this creak makes the pair seem more plasticky. However, the weight and feel of the frames are the exact same. There are compaints of some pairs with lenses that seemed too small and loose, and plasticky feeling frame. I tried on a pair of black boyfriends in a SGH in Las vegas, and they had the exact plasticky, loose lens feel to them that people were describing.
weight seemed about right.. I didn't have a scale so exact measurements couldnt be taken.
Lenses were polarized on both pairs, and tint was spot on.
color of the tortoise was pretty similar, however, the pair from amazon were slightly darker but not by much.
All in all, I am undecided if the pair from amazon are real. If they are in fact real, then they could possibly be rejects that didn't meet exact requirements for their SGH retail stores and are thus sold through amazon for such discounted prices.