Published on March 31, 2011 by Franklin J. Rabon

2.0 out of 5 stars They scratch themselves
Published on May 12, 2012 by MeZtoA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sunglasses if you're after a modern, yet classic look (polarized grey glass lens version), March 31, 2011
My primary sunglasses are Ray Ban Aviators, with polarized glass lenses. However, I wanted a second pair to compliment them. I wanted a pair that was at least slightly wrap around, since the aviators don't wrap around at all and can be problematic when the sun is coming at you from the side. I also wanted a more "modern" style to contrast with the aviators' "timeless classic" look. The predators fit that bill perfectly.

I opted for the black frames with gray polarized glass lenses. This is the most premium lens ray ban offers for the Predators (2027). I've always felt that if you're going to pay more than $100 for sunglasses, you should get glass, as they will last substantially longer than polycarb lenses. The optical quality of the premium gray glass polarized lenses is excellent. Contrast is perfect, colors pop without being exaggerated, you can make out a lot of details that you couldn't otherwise because of light.

Let me say that these are for larger faces. If you have a smallish, or even medium face, either look at another frame or at least make sure you try a pair on first. However, if you have a largish face, the fit is excellent. These are light, yet stay firmly planted on your face, no matter how active you are. They block the sun from nearly all angles, yet they don't feel like you are wearing goggles, like some wrap arounds. with some wrap around designs, it can feel like your eyes are being suffocated, as they completely block all air circulation. Howver, with the predators, ventilation is good. They can occasionally fog up if you're sweating in already humid weather, but that's going to be the case with any wrap around type style, and many non wrap around styles.

The only minor complaint is that I wish the plastic they used was slightly more flexible, it's quite rigid. However, that's a very minor nit, and it may have been the case that any other material would have sacrificed weight, and it is clear that Ray Ban designed these to be as light as possible, which is a definite plus.

In summation, if you're looking for a modern, yet classic design that wraps around and you have a largish face, then these should definitely be a strong consideration. You should opt for the highest quality lenses if you're going to spend this much money on sunglasses.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST!, July 31, 2008
Susan (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm convinced there are no better sunglasses than these. RayBans offer such wonderful eye protection, and this style covers the entire eye area and wraps around to include your peripheral vision so your eyes are totally protected. They are lightweight and fit so well you will forget you have them on. With these, my eyes stay cool and comfortable and I never squint - regardless of how much brightness or glare there may be. I left mine in an airport bathroom recently and was hating life until I got my next pair of the exact same kind... having worn these for years I could not do without them, and would not consider getting a different brand or style. They're durable too -- I managed not to lose one pair for 14 years and they were not babied -- no scratches and the frames held up. They are well worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ray-Ban Sunglasses - Predaotr 2 RB 2027, May 5, 2008
jo birkmeyer "job" (chicago, il United States) - See all my reviews
Four years ago, my For Eyes had an array of sunglasses. I was looking for something attractive and durable for sunglasses. I liked the style and the durability of these particular Ray-Ban Sunglasses. I had prescription lenses put into these frames. Recently, one of the arms broke off and couldn't be repaired, and the store couldn't replace the frames because they " had been discontinued". I googled the information on these frames and came up with several places where I could get them. I purchased them through Amazon.com, and For Eyes was happy to transfer the lenses to these new frames. I am extremely happy with this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars They scratch themselves, May 12, 2012
MeZtoA (Atlanta, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
Look nice. good light blocking and the case is a nice semi rigid leather snapping one. Here's the rub the temple tips close onto the lower center of the lens. This happens even when stored in the case provided. So after a short while of regular use you will have a nice 1cm line etched into the lens at the bottom in the middle. Pathetic engineering for a frame that cost over $100. Ray-Ban should be ashamed of these. Don't believe the payed reviewers or the Ray-Ban fanboys that would love these even if they left you blind.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorites!, August 4, 2012
I've commented on a couple of the 'less than favorable' comments as their issues were things that I too experienced, but found ways to remedy.

The real trick to buying these is to take the time to really check out the wide range of variations in this style. From the frame color, to material, to finish, the frames offer a few possibilities.
And the lenses too come in a range of different types and materials.

Personally, I have always preferred Ray Ban's G15 "green" glass lenses.
My first pair of these had the gradient mirror lenses (plastic). I wasn't thrilled, but I liked the frames. So when they got scratched, and I called Luxotica for replacements, I got the G15 glass and never looked back.
I also properly adjust the ear pieces to fit nice behind my ears to keep them from slipping down my nose, which also eliminates the tips from touching the inside of the lens when they are closed to go into the case.
I wonder how many people don't know that glasses come from the factory NOT fitted to them, and need to be correctly adjusted, just as prescription glasses are done at the optometrists.
Maybe many people don't even think about it, or know that it CAN be done!

I recently ended up not having my pair anymore (I guess someone decided they wanted them more than me and took it upon themselves to correct that situation). So now I've bought a new pair (from Amazon) and I now have my favorite, most comfortably fitting (for me) shades again. Things are good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Glasses, August 19, 2011
I bought these sunglasses for my dad for Father's Day because he is the kind to never throw anything away until it is completely destroyed or it magically disappears. This held true for his prior pair of Ray-Bans. They had a lens that would fall out of the frame and the lenses were all scratched. Nevertheless he held onto them. I found an exact match to his old pair and snatched them up. They are classy and timeless as evidenced by the fact that my dad had his for over 15 years before finally getting a replacement. Ray-Bans have great quality and style and are the perfect gift for any father who is difficult to shop for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ray Ban Preditor Sunglasses, December 31, 2010
Pete K. (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
Having a big wide head, these sunglasses are perfect for me. They fit perfect and wrap around the corner of the eyes, almost to the temple to cover the sun from side angles. There are no blind spots from extra wide frames. I keep these in sunglasses cases when not in use and they last for years...

The price is the best part, compared to malls or airport retail stores costing ~$50.00 more...

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 years & counting..., January 24, 2013
I believe that it was about 5 years ago that I went shopping for a new pair of sunglasses. This came after the arm broke on my last set of Gargoyles. (Insert Terminator, "I'll be back" jokes here.) While browsing through the offerings in a chain store catering towards eye wear, I was pointed towards a few options based upon my answers to some questioning. I had quickly dismissed a dozen or more suggestions when I was handed a pair of Ray Ban Predator sunglasses.

As soon as I tried them on, I was hooked. They are loose enough to be comfortable through most weather conditions--ranging from 100* F summer days to -20* F winter mornings. But they wrap around well enough that they can be worn while rolling down the highway on a motorcycle; it is a rare thing to have any dirt or debris make it behind the lenses.

I go with the glass lenses for the increased scratch resistance. The trade offs are that they tend to be a bit heavier, and that the lenses can crack or break when dropped. But, honestly, the lenses are quite resilient. In 5 years, I am just now thinking of getting my fourth set, and that is a bit misleading as one set was lost. The other two pair have fallen victim to cracks in the lenses due to them being dropped, but that is after dozen(s) of drops. They are resilient despite having had two pair in which I have broken a lens.

As another reviewer stated (and in my own words...kind of), the best compliment that I can pay to these sunglasses is that I do not even look at other models or brands of sunglasses when shopping for a new pair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality & Fit!, June 11, 2011
I've owned many RayBans. From metal aviators to Wayfarers. But these are my favorite! They're very comfortable and light enough to wear all day. And they are non-polarized which is good for my work - flying the 757.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Had the Same Pair for 10+ Years!, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Ray-Ban Unisex RB2027 Predator 2 Sunglasses (Apparel)
These are by far my favorite sunglasses that I have ever worn. I purchased them somewhere between 10 and 15 years ago (maybe longer, I can't remember) and they have been perfect. I have always liked the look and the design. The color of the frames and the lenses are great. The slight wrap-around to the lens doesn't make the glasses look crazy, but it really keeps the sun out of you peripheral vision. They have held up perfectly over the years. The frames have never had any problems and the lenses only have minor scratches, even after being dropped so many times in their long life. These are really high quality sunglasses from Ray-Ban.

I got a second set of these for Christmas last year from Amazon as a spare. The newer pair looks exactly the same except the finish on the frames is matte black instead of shiny black. Not a big deal, just different from what I am used to. Still looks just as good.

Overall, these sunglasses have been amazing for many years, both in look and in quality. They are just a nice, classic style that I think looks good on me. The $80 price range is what they have always cost, so it is a good deal, especially since they have lasted so long. Highly Recommended!