Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

Color: Tortoise Frame/Brown B-15XLT Lens|Lens Color: Crystal Brown|Change
Price:$65.00 - $284.00

on March 10, 2010
The first time I ordered these I was confused about the numbers and sizing of the glasses, and got it wrong. Here's how it works:

The glasses come with either a 50mm or 54mm lens diameter. I can't say whether they're just wider or are also taller, as I haven't tried both sizes.

They also come with a choice between two different distances between the lenses: 18mm & 22mm. I guess if your head is large, you'll probably want the 22mm option.

Model Number Explanation, as far as I can figure. Haven't quite got it down, but this should be close:
The set I own now: 902/57-5022
The first set of numbers is the color/style, ie: Tortoise frame = 902. The number after the slash seems to correlate with lens type, ie: Crystal Brown Polarized = 57. Therefore, 902/57 style is a Tortoise frame with Crystal Brown Polarized lens.
The second set of numbers is a little easier. The first two numbers are the lens diameter and the last two is the distance between the lenses, ie: 5022 = 50mm lens with 22mm between the lenses.

FYI: This style, 2140, is the "Original Wayfarer" style. Others include the 2132 (New Wayfarer), 2151 (Square Wayfarer), 2143 (Wayfarer II), 4105 (Folding Wayfarer), and the 9035 (Junior Wayfarer for kids).

I hope this helps!

The glasses do fog up easily, at least on my face. I believe it's because they are closer to my face than regular sunglasses. For that, and the lack of easy explanation of the styles and sizes, I subtracted a star, but I love the way these glasses look and wouldn't part with them for anything!

<edit> The New Wayfarers (2132) differ in that the lens is more shallow, so if your cheeks hit the classic Wayfarers, they probably won't with the new style. Also, the New Wayfarers have slightly thinner & lighter plastic frames. I prefer the New Wayfarers myself, but they don't make the frame/lens combination I like (Tortoise/Brown Polarized) in that model.

<edit 2> See Amazon Blonde's comments below for a correction and clarification to the explanation above.

Also, if you like the style, but not the way the Ray Bans are constructed, Maui Jim makes a more subdued, but better-made frame with the model number MJ242, sold at Sunglass Hut. They fit me better and have spring-loaded bows, which is nice. Also, they have rubber built-in to the nose, but invisible. They also don't hit my eyelashes like the Ray Bans do.

<edit 3> I've noticed several reviews stating that some sellers are shipping counterfeit sunglasses. I ordered mine from Sunglasses Botique via Amazon, and they are not fake, as far as I can tell! They have "Made in Italy" stamped on the side, the lenses are polarized and of high quality, and they feel exactly like my other New Wayfarer sunglasses. They also have "Ray Ban" in raised script on the outside of each arm. The pictures perfectly matched the sunglasses, down to the codes.
3535 comments|779 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2012
I did a lot of research when I looked into buying a pair of wayfarers. The reviews and price on the sunglass express vender made them seem legit enough. So I ordered a set of 54s, polarized. When I received the pair I was happy with how they appeared, they passed every test of authenticity i could find online. They had the metal rod in the frame, the RB on the left lense, etc, all of it. It came with all the right materials too.

But here's the kicker. The box DID NOT HAVE THE SERIAL NUMBER OR ANY SIGN OF THE AUTHENTICITY STICKER THE BOX IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE.

It also wasn't packaged well.

I heard the fakes are getting better and better so I actually called and emailed sunglass express to ask why it lacked said sticker or any serial number.

This is what they sent me, pretty much identical to what their 'at a glance' page says:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry and we are available to speak with you at 516.352.4568 Monday thru Friday 11am until 5pm est. All the frames from our site are 100% authentic. We purchase them directly from Luxottica, the manufacturer of RayBan sunglasses and eyeglasses. Please note that Luxottica is now manufacturing some of their frames in China. A lot of companies outsource for labor to keep the price down and to help with the demand of the frame. Luxottica said the sunglasses and eyeglasses you received are made with the same machinery, same materials and the same quality of labor.

Regards,

Sunglass Express

Notice that they say all of our FRAMES are authentic.

The woman on the phone was not friendly and told me that they warranty the sunglasses but ray ban does not. This should not be the case.

SO, they're either REALLY good fakes, or they PURCHASE THE FRAMES ONLY, and the rest, including the box, is knock off. Hence, the lower price and ability to claim authenticity.

In any case, I like the shades and they seem pretty real. But, lacking a factory serial number and the poor attitude of the customer service woman leaves them with two stars.

***UPDATE***

I went to sunglass hut and compared everything from the box to the shades themselves to the real thing. They are real. The boxes no longer have european recycling logos on them, and that was my main worry. Compared to the pair sunglass hut had, these were identical.

Points are still lost for 3 reasons, however:

1: Badly packaged. The box was dented upon arrival and more care could have been done.

2: Bad attitude in customer service. The lady I called was rude, plain and simple. Not cool.

3: Still no official Rayban serial number, only a sunglass express stock number.

I'm glad i made friends with the sunglass hut guy at my local mall. he said he'd do any warranty work I wanted to my pair.
88 comments|230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2011
To be honest I was quite skeptical but now that I have the glasses in my hands (received in 5 days standard) I'm truly impressed, I received a legit pair of 2140's (hope to turn into prescription sunglasses), did my research & everything checks out, weight & high quality plastic, slant, spear things in front are proper, Ray Ban logo on lense (doesn't scratch off), RB etching inside left lense, 7 prongs (hinges) on each arm, metal bar in each arm, RB logo on the arms are proper, model info correct inside left arm Wayfarer (keywords) Hand Made In Italy on right, case is legit as is the RB box it came in (dead give away for fakes is a recycling logo on side of box), no typos and info on RB box is correct, another thing to note is that when you were them they look a bit crooked but that's normal Ray Ban right there, ordered from vendor Sunglass Express and I've added pics to help those unsure, mileage may vary cause im pretty sure fakes are in circulation, other than that 4 stars, do your research (youtube is good) before buying and good luck, hope this helps.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2015
Item was marked as new. When it arrived not only was the box beat up (semi expected), the item damaged (there is a chip in the front of the frame) but these were CLEARLY a pair of "off the floor" samples, covered in fingerprints, skin cells all over the ear pieces, makeup smudges and other gross human detritus all over the hinges, and smears all over the back of the lenses, clearly seen in the anti-glare coating. Basically, despite the packaging itself being "new" in that the wipe cloth and additional accessories were unopened, the glasses themselves for all intentness and purposes are quite used. And pretty gross. And not even that much cheaper than the ones offered by Ray-Ban.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 16, 2012
I ordered these Ray-Ban classic wayfarer RB2140 size 50mm in tortoise with green polarized lens (902/58 for those into model numbers). This is my third pair of RayBans this year. I chose the green polarized lens instead of the tortoise/brown lens because my experience with the green lens has been that they give you a true representation of color. In fact, colors tend to pop through the green lens--the sky looks deeper blue, the grass looks greener, cars look brighter. I haven't noticed any color distortion with them.

The good: The tortoise is so dark it looks black unless you're in direct light. The lenses are unbelievably clear. The fit is tight and the build is solid.

I have owned polarized lenses before and I was worried about using my cell phone while wearing these glasses. With my iPhone 4s, I can barely tell any difference between my polarized and non-polarized Ray-Bans. In fact, I can use my laptop and watch my LCD TV with the glasses on. I also don't notice as much fuzziness on the windows of parked cars as I have with cheaper polarized glasses I've owned in the past.

The frames are very thick compared to more modern styles of sunglasses but that doesn't interfere with vision.

The bad: THREE Ray-Ban logos, although the logos on the earpiece are somewhat small and tend to blend in on the tortoise color. The logo printed on the lens itself, however, tarnishes the look IMO.

When driving in late afternoon / early evening, I get lots of light coming in from the side. There's no wrap with Wayfarers.

These do not fit me nearly as well as the RB2132 "New Wayfarer" glasses that I own. However, these glasses can be easily adjusted by an optician or by a glasses shop. A lot of people complain that these glasses are too tight compared to the RB2132, but the temples can be bowed and shaped so keep this in mind. In fact, while taking a pair of Persols to an optician to be adjusted, she adjusted my RB2140 Wayfarer glasses WITHOUT using the hotbox, just by making a couple of very slight, strategic bends in the earpieces. While I wouldn't recommend doing that, she's obviously sold and worked with Ray-Bans enough that she knew what she was doing. I felt a lot less pressure from the fit after she made those adjustments, without the glasses sliding any more than normal.

The problem with the fit, for me, is the slant at which the glasses sit. The bottoms of the frames ride on my cheeks and the glasses slide quite a bit on my face when I talk and especially when I laugh. I'm planning to buy some stick-on nose pads to try and help this problem.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with these glasses and I've been wearing them every time I go out ever since they arrived. I purchased them mainly for driving a collector car with a painted dash and lots of chrome, and while I haven't had the opportunity to test them out in this capacity yet, I believe the slanted angle at which they sit will actually be perfect for blocking out the glints and glare from the dash on sunny days. Plus they have that vintage '50s / '60s look that match the car perfectly.

If you're reading this and trying to chose between the RB2140 and the RB2132, maybe this will help.

I have a pair of 55mm RB2132 and they are bar-none the most comfortable glasses I've ever owned. They have a classic look but they are also rounded at the bottom and, except for the chrome rivets on the temple, look almost nothing like the traditional wayfarer when placed side by side. The RB2132 earpieces curve outward and don't touch my temples at all until close to my ear, and most of the pressure is placed behind my ears to hold the glasses securely in place. In fact, the glasses feel like they snap on my head. I have issues with chronic headaches and I can wear the RB2132 all day without having any pain from pressure. I can even wear the RB2132 while having a bad headache and they help relieve the pain. They don't slide off and they never needed any form of adjustment to fit. The lenses sit far from my eyes and I have never had issues with my eyelashes scraping the lenses.

The 50 mm RB2140 are basically the same size as my 55mm RB2132, but they have a more masculine, square shape. The earpieces don't have nearly as much curve and they press into my face at the temples, even after adjustment. This is not uncomfortable, but it isn't as comfortable as the RB2132. They also sit closer to the face, and I have had times when my eyelashes smeared the lenses to the point I had to clean them, even though I couldn't feel my eyelashes touching them. That problem seems to have gone away as I've gotten the glasses broken in.

Personally, I prefer the fit of the RB2132 and the look of the RB2140. If I could only have one pair, I'd go with the RB2132 simply for the extreme comfort. If that vintage look is important to you, then go with the RB2140 and get them adjusted to best fit your face.
on July 5, 2010
got the regular black ones from sunglassexpress (great store). I always wore aviators but I lost my good pair, vanished into thin air I think. Now I may never go back... I do not miss the skinny metal arms and frames (Ray Bans are sturdy, but by their nature aviators do not survive many accidental crushings) and the protruding nose pads that get tangled up in my hair. Wayfarers have none of these issues, just pure sun-blocking and bloodshot eye-hiding power.

Quality and comfort is excellent, and they come with a nice snap case (mine was brown leather.. I also have a black Ray Ban case that came with my aviators, so I don't know if they use different cases/colors for different sunglass styles or colors or what. you may want to ask the seller if it matters to you) and lens cloth like all Ray Bans.
on October 24, 2009
RB2140P: These are the Ray Bans that I remember my dad wearing growing up. However, these are even better, because they have polarized lenses. The lenses are amazing, they make a huge difference and I cannot imagine ever going back to non-polarized lenses. This is the best price I found on these sunglasses and I searched high and low, even factoring in [...] specials.

I don't have much to say about the shape, they are the classic Ray-Bans, not the "new" shape (RB2132) that you see most celebrities wearing. The lens slants back towards your face, they are not perpendicular to your face. I happened to like the originals, but I know that most prefer the newer lens, so keep this in mind when ordering. However, at this time Ray Ban does not make the new style with the polarized lens.

Polarized lenses reduce the glare off surfaces and reduce my need to squint, which I love because who wants wrinkles around their eyes? I make everyone try on my sunglasses so they can experience the polarized lens and now all family and friends have been converted. If you live in a place that you need to wear sunglasses throughout the year, this is a great investment!
on February 19, 2013
Well i received the box yesterday and when I opened the it seemed a litte bit damaged. The glasses are ok, they have no scratch or things like that , but the RB label on the left side of the glasses, keep me thinking about its originality. Two weeks ago i bought i fake pair and when I went to the optic shop, they told me that was very 'rude-made' because you actually could feel the label like it was maded by a sharp object, this happens again with these glasses, I can feel the label 'scratch' from behind the glass. So I'm not pretty sure if a real one or not.I will carry them to the optic again (2nd time, buying fake stuff) to see what happens.

UPDATE:
FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE THEY WERE A GOOD REPLCA BUT IN COMPARISON WITH THE ORIGINAL RAYBAN'S THEY SEEMED BARBIE-PLASTIC!
I'M REALLY ANGRY WITH THIS SELLER AND WITH AMAZON, SELLING FAKE STUFF, AND STEALING MONEY.
I DON'T RECOMEND YOU BUYING GLASSES FROM THIS SELLER, EVEN THE CASE, BROKE AFTER TWO OPENINGS!
I LIVE IN COLOMBIA SO ITS PRETTY HARD TO REFUND THE ITEM AND IS EXPENSIVE AS WELL. IT'S REALLY BAD, IT GIVES A BAD IMAGE TO AMAZON.
SO THAT'S IT I LOST MY MONEY.
on July 28, 2009
Not only is the look classic, they are pretty close to being indestructable as well. I got hit full in the face with a spike playing volleyball. There was no damage to my wayfarers (but my nose sure hurt!). If you wear prescription lenses, an optician can put them in these frames as well. Highly recommended.
on April 13, 2014
I am conflicted because they looked very nice on and when I checked the authenticity, I just watched some youtube videos and looked at images to see if they were real, and they seemed to passed. But when I purchased the same pair directly from Ray-Ban, they looked really different. The amazon pair had a much more "faded" etched RB on the lens and the boxes looked slightly off. Maybe the amazon's are just old? They seemed used when they came like many people had tried them on prior to me and the box was slightly beaten. I had to return them though just because I wasn't to sure about the authenticity. I did buy them directly from Amazon and not some 3rd party seller.