Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

Size: 52 mmColor: Light Honey/Crystal BrownChange
Price:$70.00 - $299.29

1,248 of 1,341 people found the following review helpful
on June 30, 2008
If your considering buying the Wayfarer by Ray-Ban, you already know it as a cultural staple, worn by everyone from Dylan to The Blues Brothers. But, as cool as the shades are, be careful when it comes to fit. The "New" Wayfarer is substantially smaller then the old style, as well as being a tad more modern, not dominating the face as the old kind do.

The "New" style also comes in two sizes, 52mm and 55mm. I received the 52 only to find them to be a bit too small (I am an average size male), once I returned them for the 55 I was more then satisfied. So in conclusion I would recommend the new style Wayfarer to those wanting the signature look of the style, but with perhaps a bit less obtrusive frame. 55mm is average size, while 52mm would be for females or even some children.
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
I ordered 3 pairs: black, polarized, 55mm; tortoise, non-polarized, 52mm; tortoise, non-polarized, 55mm, so I was able to compare the sizes, colors and polarized feature of these glasses. Here we go.

1. Authenticity: All of the 3 pairs were sold by, and they all seemed genuine to me. Not even a doubt. Solid and clear. I did notice that the black pair was missing the engraved "RB" on the back of the left lenses. I don't know why.

2. Polarized: The polarized feature doesn't bother me at all in reading LCD screens, nor does it improve the view much (it cuts out a little more light, but not much difference).

3. Sizing: I am a small guy and have narrow face. The 52mm is definitely for children: a bit tight (even for me) and looks like a toy; The 55mm looks great, although i feel they can be loose sometimes (look good, but wear loose). I strongly recommend 55mm if you have to get these, unless you are buying for your kids.

4. Looks: They both look great, but I prefer the tortoise ones that are a little bit different but not too special. Another thing to note is that other people can see your eyes more easily through the ordinary lenses than the polarized lenses.

5. comparison to the OriginalWayfarer (2140): later I got a pair of 2140 (Original Wayfarer, 54mm, tortoise color) for my cousin. The Original Wayfarers are a bit more expensive, but feel they are of better quality: stronger metal hinge, thicker and heavier plastic. Size-wise, the Original Wayfarers are between the 55mm and 52mm New Wayfarers. Style-wise, the Original Wayfarers have a larger angle pointing forward.

Try them out in store and buy them here! great quality and price. Just make sure they are "sold by" after you make the selection (there are many different sellers on Amazon). Cheers~~~

BTW Amazon says free returns on these, and they didn't even ask a word when I returned two pairs and paid for return shipping. Great customer service.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2013
Initially designed by Raymond Stegeman and manufactured since 1956 the Ray-Ban Wayfarers were revolutionary compared to the clichéd metal frames of past sunglasses. The early popularity of Wayfarers throughout the 1950s and 1960s was attributed not only to look and comfort but also seen by way of celebrity acceptance of the design. Roy Orbison, John F. Kennedy, Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol all prominently sported Wayfarers for the ever watching public eye.

However the design became near extinct in the early 1980s due to the decline in sales of the 1970s. Despite the slight reemergence in 1980, due majorly in part to the Dan Aykroyd/John Belushi hit movie The Blues Brothers, Wayfarers were on the verge of discontinuation; selling only 18,000 pairs in 1981.

As fate would have it Wayfarers were completely resurrected in 1982 when Ray-Ban signed a yearly payment contract with Unique Product Placement of Burbank, California for $50,000. The deal was simple: Wayfarers were to appear in 60 Hollywood films and television shows per year for the next five years in exchange for $250,000. It was a contract that made Ray-Ban millions and projected the classic Wayfarer design across the world. Movie stars, musicians, artists and celebrities alike wore them in films, music videos, photographs and magazines making Wayfarers the sunglasses of necessity for the 1980s.

The roller coaster ride hit a drop in the 1990s when 'wrap-around' frames popularized the market, striking a blow to the classic Wayfarer design and leaving them forgotten to the masses yet again. That is until 2001 when the New Wayfarers made the scene with a smaller and less angular design, a lighter injected plastic and a multitude of new colors. The redesign helped the 2000s to be a nostalgic success, bolstering the best sales in over a decade and reuniting the public with the classic, comfortable design that made them popular to begin with.

So here we are in 2013 and the 'New Wayfarers' are already over a decade old and still selling. Widely regarded as the 20th century's most enduring fashion icons the Wayfarer design is comfortable, light and always classic. For those of you browsing the Amazon product page looking for your perfect pair of New Wayfarers there are a few things you might want to know. First thing: the size.

You may have noticed the option of purchasing either 52mm or 55mm sized Wayfarers on the product page. This combined with a plethora of reviews regarding the sizes that fit best seem to be a matter of major confusion. Many of the reviews for this product, including the most popular, are simply wrong and misleading. There is no difference in frame size between the 52mm and the 55mm design and the number is a reference to the lens size. What does this mean? Well, if you purchase the 55mm your lenses will be slightly rounder: that's it. The reviewers complaining about the 52mm being too tight as opposed to the 55mm are misinformed. I've included measurements below and the sizes for both products are as follows:

Ray-Ban New Wayfarers 52mm:

Total size:18-145mm
Lens: 55mm
Bridge: 18mm
Temples: 145mm

As you can see there is no difference despite a slightly larger lens opening on the 55mm. I don't understand how so many reviewers could get this wrong unless they're cross-hypnotizing one another into believing the size difference...and yes. I own both sizes.

You also may have noticed the lens option of G-15 XLT when selecting your sunglasses. What is it? G-15 XLT is a reference to Ray-Ban's glass lenses as opposed to their plastic designs. G-15 is a special technology that Ray-Ban utilizes to make the glass lenses light without sacrificing optical quality. So what does the XLT stand for? Exta Light.

Some of you may not be familiar with polarized lenses, which is a buying option when selecting your New Wayfarers. Erinn Morgan of All About Vision writes 'light reflected from surfaces such as a flat road or smooth water generally is horizontally polarized. This means that, instead of light being scattered in all directions in more usual ways, reflected light generally travels in a more horizontally oriented direction. This creates an annoying and sometimes dangerous intensity of light that we experience as glare.

Polarized sunglasses cut glare and haze so your eyes are more comfortable and you can see better. Polarized lenses contain a special filter that blocks this type of intense reflected light, reducing glare.

Though polarized sunglasses improve comfort and visibility, you will encounter some instances when these lenses may not be advisable. One example is downhill skiing, where you don't want to block light reflecting off icy patches because this alerts skiers to hazards they are approaching.

In addition, polarized lenses may reduce the visibility of images produced by liquid crystal displays (LCDs) or light-emitting diode displays (LEDs) found on the dashboards of some cars or in other places such as the digital screens on automatic teller machines and self-service gas pumps.

With polarized lenses, you also may be unable to see your cell phone or GPS device. Boaters and pilots also have reported similar problems when viewing LCD displays on instrument panels, which can be a crucial issue when it comes to making split-second decisions based strictly on information displayed on a panel.'

I hope this review clears up any confusion with the design and aids you in making the correct purchase.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2015
Mine arrived with a brown case, not black. They appear to not be actual rayban glasses, as I have purchased 3 pair of the same with no issues. There were fingerprints on the lenses and oil on inner the temples. They weren't wrapped in plastic either. Be highly suspect when purchasing.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2015
Got what I paid for. Authentic Ray Ban 2132 55mm New Wayfarer Matte Black with Blue Polarized Gradient Lenses. I don't know why I made it all caps, but this product was the real deal. I got worried after reading some of these reviews but the glasses I received are 100% authentic. I compared them to my old pair of New Wayfarers 2132 purchased from Ray Ban themselves and they match up perfectly. The logo, the RB on the left lens, the metal rod in the arm, and the case were all identical. Would definitely buy from here again if I decide to get myself a third pair.
review image review image review image review image
on July 25, 2015
Ray-Ban RB2132 New Wayfarer Polarized Sunglasses,Black/Green Polarized,52 mm

I just received a pair of New Wayfarers (polarized, 52mm, black w/green lenses, sold by Amazon) and at first they seemed to be legitimate--the box seemed to be real, as well as the case. However, upon taking out the sunglasses, they did not seem to be high-quality. The hinges squeak quite audibly when opening the glasses, and the "RB" etching seems to be messily scratched on rather than laser-etched. I've just ordered a pair of New Wayfarers off of the official Ray Ban website, and will update the review with comparison pictures before I return the Amazon pair.

EDIT: Added photos for comparison. I received real new wayfarers (non-polarized, however) from the Ray Ban Website the other day. They are the glasses with the gold sticker and brown case, and are on the right hand side in all of my photos. The discrepancies between the stickers and the case are not, however, the cause of concern.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2012
I purchased the Ray-Ban RB2132 52mm sunglasses from Amazon last week. As I read some reviews that some individuals were receiving a fake pair of Ray-Bans, I decided to purchase the sunglasses from "" as the seller. Thinking that I would be safe from receiving counterfeit sunglasses from Amazon's warehouse, I felt confident in my purchase. However, I was very wrong. When I received the sunglasses and opened the packaging, I knew immediately that these sunglasses were fake. Namely due to the following reasons:

1) No Ray-Ban logo on the right and left temples of the sunglasses.
2) On the inside temple it said, "Made in China".
3) The lenses were cheap plastic lenses, and I purchased the "polarized lenses".
4) The sunglasses for larger than 55mm, not the 52mm that I ordered.

Be wary when ordering these sunglasses from!
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2015
I really like these glasses. I was contemplating on getting polarized and or nonpolarized, a friend said, "If you're going to spend that much money on glasses and plan on keeping them, why wouldn't you spend the extra for polarized." So I bought polarized, I am glad I did! These are some really good glasses, people compliment me on them. These are just some classic glasses, I am glad I invested in a good pair of frames. Btw I bought the 52 mm, but it was a tad too small, so I upgraded to 55 mm (see picture below.) After buying quality glasses, I will start purchasing products based on quality instead of price. I take MUCH better care of these glasses, no telling how much money I wasted on all the other glasses!
review image
on April 16, 2014
I ordered these sunglasses "shipped and sold by Amazon" and was amazed to find that they are fake. I took them to a Sunglass Hut (who's parent company owns the Ray-Ban brand) and it turns out they make look like the real thing, but the lenses are too small. It is unbelievable that Amazon would sell fake Ray-Bans. They need to sort this out with their suppliers.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
Let me start off by saying I have never owned a pair of Wayfarers before. I've purchased some aviator Ray-Bans in the past and opted for a change this time around. A couple weeks ago I stopped at my local mall's Sunglass Hut and browsed just a few seconds before zeroing in on the New Wayfarers. I tried them on and really liked the way they looked. I saw the price tag(174.99) and thought, "Great sunglasses, not so great price." Asked the sales guy if he could do anything on the price and he politely said, "No, sorry I can't." So off to Amazon. I found the same pair(New Wayfarer RB2132, Polarized, 55mm, Black/Grey) and then did like you are doing right now... read the reviews. We all want to belive the good ones, but as like anything else, we harp on the bad. I read all the reviews about the not-so-great experiences people had with being sent fake pairs and the disappointment of dealing with that. But I decide to roll the dice anyway. (I did make sure that the order was fullfilled by Amazon to assure that if I had any issues, I could return them)
I jumped over to Youtube and watched all the videos on how to tell the difference between real and fake Ray-Bans and felt confident that when they came I would be able to tell the difference.
After impatiently waiting 5 days for the delivery - they finally came. I opened the package and took notice of the Ray-Ban box itself. The spec label was right there on the side of the box - seems right so far. I opened the box and inspected the case - sturdy, heavyweight construction, Ray-Ban logo on the button, quality Ray-Ban gold stamp on the case. Next, I opened the case and the first thing I noticed was the plastic sleeve on one of the sunglass arms. I flipped open the glasses and saw the metal hinge that connects the arms to the frames. I also found the metal bar that runs through the arms. I checked out the Ray-Ban logos on each arm and saw(felt)that they were nearly flush with the arms. I inspected the logo and etching on the lenses and was satified. They felt heavy and I heard no rattle from the lenses or squeak from the arms opening and closing.
So in all, I definitely recieved a legit pair of New Wayfarers. I very happy with them, and at a $50.00 discount it can't be beat.