Rayman Legends - PlayStation Vita
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$19.08 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 3, 2013
Holy macaroni... what a vivid, imaginative, and colorful universe this limbless fellow lives in!

I was a huge fan of Rayman Origins, which was released two years ago. At that time, I considered it to be the best 2D platformer in the history of gaming, and I believe that has remained true - until now. Ubisoft has done gamers everywhere a huge service by improving upon their remarkable formula in every possible way, and delivering a game that's even BETTER than the awesome platformer that is Origins.

Foremost, the visuals of Legends need to be addressed. One of the best things about Origins was that it looked like you were controlling a cartoon, which resulted in terrific animations, slapstick comedy, bizarre spectacles, and OODLES of SMILES. I would have been perfectly happy if this sequel looked exactly like Origins, but somehow the developers have made it look even better. The graphics in this game POP like nothing I've ever seen before, and it looks even more like an animated movie than ever. Graphics generally have little to do with actual gameplay, but in the case of the Rayman games, their whimsical presentation has a direct correlation with the end result (that being fun, laughter, and wonder), so they do have a big impact here. This game is a visual treat, and I predict that it will be impervious to the "aging" that most games suffer from, because the art direction is so marvelously realized.

Though Legends' graphics may make this game look a tad childish, do not be deceived - this is a meticulously designed platformer that offers tremendous challenges. Furthermore, if you study the layout of the levels and practice, you will discover that there is an incredible amount of sophistication here. As far as I can tell, EVERY level can be played in one swift movement, with no hesitation whatsoever - if you have the skill to memorize the patterns and the reflexes to guide you (which comes in handy when attempting to complete time challenges). I am blown away by the amount of care that the designers put into this game. I don't see any "shortcuts" or evidence of "going through the motions" to fill out content.

And on the subject of content, there is a staggering amount here. The campaign alone is very long, particularly for a 2D platformer, but what makes the game infinitely larger is the amount of additional challenges and collectibles. Multiplayer is also a blast, and I can have fun playing Legends with less experienced gamers. Though it is far harder to complete challenges when I have other gamers along for the ride, that's not what it's about - it's about having fun and watching Rayman and Globox slap each other silly.

It bears mentioning that you can have anybody play this game with you, from a five-year-old to your granny. There is no violence other than the "cartoon" variety, and it's a huge departure from the glut of ultra-violent titles that have saturated the market in recent years. To me, this is a wonderful, beautiful break from the norm. No longer do you have to worry about "headshots" and the other staples of the shooter genre, but you can focus on the types of things that made us enjoy games when we were younger: a sense of wonder, whimsy, and the relentless pursuit of fun.

Please note that I play this game on PS3 and Vita, but I am posting my review (of Legends' content) for all consoles, because I feel this game deserves major credit.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2014
Rayman Legends is an excellent game. It is truly a top-notch platformer. The TLDR is that I am a hardcore platformer fan who thinks this game truly excels in the right categories. I give it 5 stars and recommend it to any other platformer fans.

Now onto some more detailed thoughts…

First of all, the gameplay mechanics and controls of this game are superb. The controls are tight & responsive, and there are plenty of mechanics to discover & exploit throughout play.

Excellent controls and enjoyable mechanics are critical to a good platformer but they’re only truly fun when they’re experienced within the confines of excellent level design. That’s here too. The levels in this game are very well designed. There are a lot of great ideas built into these creative levels that use many interesting aspects of the very well-refined control scheme. The music levels are especially a delight to play.

There are levels that use touchscreen controls to use a character named ‘Murphy’ to assist the primary platforming character. In a multiplayer situation, someone can be a platforming character while someone else takes on the role of Murphy to assist them. In single player, the player controls Murphy while an AI system controls the platforming character. Two things should be noted about this:

(1) The Murphy levels are very neat. They are a great example of how asymmetric multiplayer can really be exciting. Murphy is not some non-essential helper character meant to be played by a more casual gamer. Sometimes Murphy has the hardest role of all, and two or more players can have a blast coordinating efforts together. The levels for this are great. However…

(2) While the controls and the levels for Murphy levels are enjoyable and very well designed & executed, be aware that this is best experienced in multiplayer. The AI controlling the on-screen platforming character can be frustrating at times in single player. This is why, in my mind, the Wii U version of this game particularly shines (the Wii U is great for asymmetric local multiplayer!). The Vita is not necessarily the best place to experience these levels if you don’t have lots of friends with Vita to play with. All of that said, I still had fun with these levels in the Vita version in single player.

Moving on… There is a very extensive amount of content in this game. I was satisfied with the number of Rayman Legends levels, challenges, and modes. However, on top of those, there are many unlockable levels from the old Rayman Origins game. Those levels are not as good as the Rayman Legends levels (there’s a lot more repetition of ideas), but they are still really fun and weren’t even necessary for a complete game. The Challenges mode in this game also just keeps on giving, offering four challenges at a time (two that change by week and two that change by day).

The graphics are beautiful. The art style is an absolute delight to look it. The bright, vibrant colors are especially beautiful on the Vita’s OLED screen. If you want a game that will show off how great games can look on your Vita, here you have it.

The sound design is also wonderful. There were levels where I laughed out loud just based on the music and sound effects.

I am a hardcore platformer fan. I like challenging platformers with very tight controls and creative levels that are specifically designed to use the mechanics of the game. If you are that kind of gamer as well, please consider checking out this game. I’m also an on-the-go gamer, which is why the Vita version of this game is really worth checking out. It runs very well on Vita.

I give this game a full 5 stars and an enthusiastic recommendation.
on January 11, 2014
I am pleasantly surprised with Rayman Legends. The color and detail of characters in game is excellent. Facial expressions, animations of characters, many many small details.

The game has much more content than I expected. I have played through 5 of 6 worlds so far, and it took me about two weeks playing on and off. That puts me at 409/700 completion. There is still 1 world remaining, almost all of the Rayman Origins levels, and Murphy and other challenges.

While progressing, "invasions" will take place on previously completed levels and a new level will appear next to it. They are all 40-60 second time-challenges, and many are quite difficult. I can play over and over before finishing them with a gold.

There are also levels to rescue heroes. I think further along, in the later worlds, these are actually the most difficult levels in the game. I probably tried 50-100 times before completing one of them (I think it was Olympia?)

I have not tried online or co-op play. There is a neat 2 player soccer game that I want to try.

There are 4 online challenges, 2 daily and 2 weekly. The challenges are fun and all four are unique. I usually manage to place silver, or sometimes bronze.

*Sigh* and then there are the Murphy levels. I think the concepts are neat (using the gyro and touch) but there should be way fewer of these levels because they can raise anyone's blood pressure. This is my one complaint with the game.

I bought it on sale, and couldn't be happier for $30. I'll stop raising your hopes now.
on September 12, 2013
I will be honest, I didn't play Rayman Origins, but the follow up received such praise I decided to check Legends out. I am so happy I did. This game is such a joy to play. The visual style is beautiful and engrossing. The music might be the best I have heard in a game all year, and the platforming and other gameplay options are a ton of fun.

This is the kind of game the Vita was made for. With the 5-8 minute levels for quick play sessions and the visuals coming to life on the OLED screen, I couldn't be happier.
on September 9, 2013
Its contain rayman origins and rayman legend in a single memory. The best rayman i have ever play so far.
on September 7, 2013
I played Rayman Origins on PS3 and loved it. Only problem I had was not being able to beat it because of all the levels! Time went by and I just never got around to beating it all before i traded it in. But now I just bought my vita and I knew Rayman Legends was gonna be perfect for a handheld. now i can play where I want, when I want. So I dont have to worry about not having time to beat it. and there is so much to do on this one. it has 60 new levels, 50 levels from Rayman Origins and a lot more. the only thing I don't like about this one is that it seems easier than the first. when you play the origins level, you can already tell the first one was a little more dificlut and took you longer to pass. but hey im still on the first two worlds. maybe it will get harder as i get to the later levels. but who cares if u rush through it, there is so many reasons to go back and play again. if u didnt find all the teenies the first time, u can go back and try to find them. and if u didnt get enough lums to get a lucky scratcher than u can go back and play it again so u can unlock more content. its a great game and its a must have for the vita.
on February 2, 2014
Rayman Legends Review

Pros:

* Gameplay is very addicting and well designed.
* The large cast of playable characters keep the game interesting.
* Levels and environments are gorgeous and intriguing.
* The 'music levels' are a blast.
* Almost 40+ hours of content, not counting daily challenges and multiplayer.
_______________

Cons:

* Some of the levels are guaranteed to raise your blood pressure through the roof.
_______________
Overall Score:

* Gameplay - 9.5
* Presentation - 8.5
* Story - N/A
--------------------
Total - *9 / 10*
on June 5, 2014
Okay, I admit that I am a Rayman fanboy since Rayman Origins which is arguably the best video game ever in my mind. I have this game on 360, vita and then I got it on PS4. First of all, other than obviously giving up the ability to play couch coop as you can in the console version (and which is a blast by the way) you are not at all sacrificing anything with the portable version of this game. It is beautiful, the levels are the exact same, it plays buttery smooth. It even has a few different things from the console game where you find and touch stuff on the screen and there are paintings you unlock.
on April 9, 2014
The Wii U version of this amazing game is the original, definitive version of this game, as it was originally designed and intended to be played. I know that some gamers disliked the touchscreen elements in that version, but I just don't understand that; they're unique, original, and there's nothing else out there that plays quite the same.

Because the Vita's touchscreen is just as capable as the Wii U GamePad, all of the Wii U version's gameplay elements are present! This version is not nerfed like the 360/PS3/X1/PS4/PC versions...it is the full Rayman Legends, just as it was meant to be played. The graphics are fantastic, and just as smooth in motion as their console counterparts. Plus, you even get a few features that were not present in the Wii U version: a small set of "Murfy's Challenges," which are touchscreen-centric levels, and a full set of Trophies to earn, which will add many hours of replay value. And of course, because it's on Vita, you can take it anywhere.

The one drawback of this version is that multiplayer is limited to 2 players. So if you're going to play with friends, the Wii U version--supporting up to 5 players--is still your best bet.

That's all you need to know about the Vita version. As for the game itself? It's a platformer with great action, awesome graphics, challenging but modern, lenient gameplay (lots of checkpoints, infinite lives, etc.), and TONS of collectibles to seek out and find. Plus, there are randomly-generated daily and weekly challenges. Occasionally server problems affect your ability to play them, but I'm hoping they will be less occasional going forward. Stop reading and buy it already!
on January 3, 2014
Not a huge fan of Rayman and the only game I played from this series prior to Rayman Legends was Rayman 2: The Great Escape. That being said I had no idea what to expect from this game and being a new Vita owner I was desperate for some new games. I did some research and saw that many people seemed to like Rayman Legends. Then there was Rayman Origins but from the reviews I read Legends basically came with Origin levels so the decision between the two was obvious. My first impression was that this game is for little kids but after playing it I found out that it is also enjoyable to play as an adult. The only thing I dislike about this game is the Murphy levels which can be a bit annoying to play in some levels but overall I truly enjoyed this game and would recommend it to any Vita user.