5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny
When my friend told me about this game, I was a bit confused as to why a 2D platformer was not a downloadable XBLA title. But he was raving about the game so much that I just HAD to pick up a copy.

Needless to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed with this game. I could go on forever about it, but I won't. Instead, I will just break it down into a few components:...
Published on December 12, 2011 by njvas89

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
I got bored with this game after about 2 hours of playing it
Published 1 month ago by bluto20

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, December 12, 2011

Gameplay: 5/5
Smooth controls, some of the best platforming I've seen in a while. Truly great level design.

Multiplayer: 4.9/5
The only reason this isn't a 5 is that it doesn't have online multiplayer. However, the experience of sitting with a couple of friends on your couch and playing together makes for a great experience. There is little-to-no frustration involved in multiplayer (unlike some other recent multiplayer platformers).

Presentation: 6/5
They get a billion thumbs WAY up! The art is phenomenal, everything is charming, and it is extremely obvious that they put a lot of time into the details that really makes the game come to life.

I recommend this game to anyone of any age. It's silly, charming and just straight up fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best game I've bought on a whim..., January 5, 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I had heard nearly nothing about this game upon its release. Amazing word of mouth eventually made its way to me, but I didn't really know anything about Rayman (other than Rabbids). I finally found the tid-bit of info that immediately had me on my way to the game store: co-op in the fashion of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

The co-op system used here is actually better than the one used in the Mario helmed game. At any time during the game a buddy can join in on your game. If they die, they become a bubble. It's then up to you to pop them so that they can continue playing. It improves the Mario system by making the joining of a game seamless (no menu to go to, you can do it anytime), and giving you direct control over your bubble so you can be popped more quickly (no waggling to get it to move in another player's general direction). It also does away with lives. Paired with the bubble system, not having lives makes this game great to play with someone of a disparate skill level. You can tackle harder levels together and never leave them sitting idly because they died one too many times. I was thrown off, but came to love the removal of a lives system, and welcomed improvements to the already stellar co-op and bubbling ideas. Playing through the game with a friend is an absolute blast and you're missing out on a ton of camaraderie-fueled shenanigans if you don't. I plowed through the game with my girlfriend in a matter of a few days (having to do all that I could not to play ahead without her) and we both loved every second of it.

This system is also great because it allows me to play with my young nieces (who are understandably terrible) without it losing their attention because they've died and have nothing to do. I think in time it might be to them what the original Super Mario Bros. was to me, and if that doesn't let you in on the regards I have for this game I don't know what will. That said, while they can play the first few levels with me, that's about it at the moment.

The difficulty of the main levels has a nice curve, and as others have mentioned the new abilities you get are introduced and expanded upon nicely without any need for explanation. The game cleverly pits you in areas in which you have to use your new powers to escape before you can move on, then later rewards you for using them in new ways. The game is full of clever little things like this.

And there are plenty of levels for you to tackle. I feared an extremely short game, but midway through another set of levels opens up that expands on the themes already present (forest, desert, ice/fire, sea, mechanical). On top of all that you have the fiendish treasure chest races, and the secret, brutal final level to give you more to do and a jump in difficulty. I've spent nearly a week now with the game and I'm still working to collect everything there is; you'll give up before the supply of challenges does.

I'll leave it to you to experience the gorgeous scenery and infectious melodies. I find myself gawking and constantly commenting about how pretty something in the environment looks. I'm personally not a fan of the character design though. Has a very 90s vibe to it (which is understandable), but if this were a brand new property I feel like the characters would gel more with the levels and look stunning. And good luck trying to get the music out of your brain. I constantly find myself whistling the tunes and hearing the chipmunkesque vocals in my head. You might not dig 'em at first, but they will overcome any resistance you may have.

Anyway, I can't tell you to buy this game with enough fervor (and that's coming from someone who rents the majority of the games he plays) because not only is it worth every penny and more, but it's one of those games you pick up with no expectations and then start grabbing random people in the street yelling at them to buy the game so that this work of art is appreciated and not seen as a failed experiment because it was released the same month as bunch of triple A blockbuster type games. Also, while you're buying this grab Tomba too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, January 1, 2012
AJ (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
From start to finish, Rayman origins is a masterpiece. I completed every level and every bonus level, scored 32 of 36 achievements for 725 gamerscore and got almost every electoon. Graphics are excellent, gameplay is perfect and levels are all wonderfully designed. Took me about 20 hours to beat and I wish there was more because it was such a blast. If you like platformers, get this. I don't even like platformers, but this was just amazing. One of the best games I have played this year.

9.3/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Platforming Perfection, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Rayman Origins is triple A 2D platforming perfection at its finest. This title stands right up against the other heavy weights of this genre from past and present without breaking a sweat. I would give this one 11/10 or 6 stars if I could. Without re-writing a bunch of things that have already been said in other reviews here, I will wrap up by saying I have been gaming since the NES was a brand new console, and Rayman Origins is in my top 5 games of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there a more lovingly crafted game?, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Finally taking a break from being overshadowed by demented Rabbids, Rayman finally stars in another platforming adventure. And BOY was this an unexpected turnout! There were a lot of times in which I thought this was too good to be true. No way could a game have such amazing 2D visuals, a gorgeous soundtrack, and incredible gameplay to match with everything alike. It would have to be a beyond-MIRACLE to obtain something like that.

But I couldn't be happier to say that this game fits that bill! The gameplay is very simple - You jump, you punch/kick, you collect Lums, you do whatever it takes to go and rescue the trapped beings in them big cages. However, as simple as it sounds, it is amazingly executed. There are loads of elements that keep the flow of the gameplay at its max it's freaking unbelievable! Just watch the least bit of footage possible and you'll be amazed!

Again, the graphics are EYE-POPPING! This is the finest 2D graphics could go! Everything's all hand-drawn and cartoon-y! Just thinking about it makes my mind thrive with cheerfulness! I absolutely love this look! See the boxart? The game looks just like that! And the soundtrack makes those visuals even more appealing, yet it also adds to the game by itself.

There's so much about this game that I totally find awesome that I just can't put it all in one review (EX: I may as well mention now that there's a HILARIOUS intro when starting a new game). So, if you're still concerned, either go read other reviews or watch videos of the game being played. I prefer the latter.

Overall, this is as close to flawless as it gets. If you are a platformer fan, you'd be just plain crazy to pass this up! Heck, it makes Rayman 2 (Who some claim to be one of the best 3D platformers) look like complete crap! Yeah, I said it.
This is the best game I ever played (alongside Super Mario World), and if I, a die-hard gamer, would praise it THIS much, you have no choice but to buy this game anyway! Whether you own a PC, Wii, Xbox, PS3, etc, you need this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best platformer of this generation, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I grew up in the 90s, a decade where platformers were the flag genre of video games. As soon as 3D came around, however, platformers faded into the limelight. They didn't seem to work for 3D. Rayman Origins embraces that.

Sure, it's 2D, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The graphics are beautiful, showing that realism is not the only future of video games.

The story is hard to follow. As far as I could gather, the baddies living underground get annoyed at Globox's snoring and decide to try and take over the world. Despite the fact that it doesn't make sense, this actually plays to its strength. Rayman is about ridiculousness, and nothing is more ridiculous than Rayman Origins.

For parents: yes, this is kid friendly. Any jokes geared towards adults would go over a kid's head, violence is minimal (other than cartoon violence), and, quite frankly, I'm an adult and I couldn't understand half of what was going on anyways. It's mostly nonsensical, but nothing kids should not see.

The gameplay is by far the reason I would recommend this game to any gamer. Especially for co-op mode. I played through this game with my best friend, one who isn't a big fan of platformers, and we both had a blast. You'll probably get on your teammates last nerves as you accidentally fling each other into pits, but you will both be laughing the whole time. At least there is no life system to worry about.

I will note that the difficulty does get pretty high if you want to complete everything the game has to offer, but you can get to the credits without much trouble if you aren't used to platformers.

There is a ton of replay value, just simply to complete every bit of the game. Even after that, this is a game I would love to relive again and again. Different friends mean different experiences, but even with the same friends, you will have a blast.

Last, the sound. Sound effects are very amusing, especially once you get in a fight with your friend and start just hitting each other. Actually, all sound effects are quite amusing. As for the music... I wish you lucky. It's silly and quirky, it fits the game, and it's catchy. Problem is, it's catchy. To the point where some of the songs can be grating to hear repeatedly. Of course, you could just turn the music off. I wouldn't, though. Rayman Origins is meant to be played as the full package.

Which brings me to my closing statement. If you like Rayman, like platformers, like co-op games, like multiplayer games, like ridiculous games, or even just like laughing, Rayman Origins is for you. It may not be Modern Warfare 3, but it is worth a purchase. The first thing you'll think after you finally finish everything in the game is, "I hope they make a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childish Fun, December 24, 2011
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
In a market full of post-apocalyptic worlds and modern warfares, this is such a breath of fresh air. The game oozes fun and a whimsical charm. It's infectious! the controls are tight and the platforming is extremely well handled. The game starts out extremely easy but soon becomes pretty challenging, but you always feel rewarded for beating a level. Although you may die millions of times, its seriously impossible to stay mad at this game because of how light-hearted and charming it is. This seriously blows Little Big Planet out of the water as the best platformer of this generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids loved it!, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I bought this for my daughter who is 10. She and her cousins (ages 9 and 11) laughed and had so much fun playing the game. The graphics are very rich a beautiful. It was like they were playing/controlling a cartoon. I highly recommend this game. Silly slapping and jumping...some and cartoon violence but nothing to worry about. Safe for the kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-player sidescroller fun, July 16, 2014
Michael J. Murphy "WebSurfinMurf" (New Providence, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Solid side scroller video game, can play up to 4 people.
Its an arcade game, in true spirit of arcade fun.
If looking for depth, move along. Want split second action with multiplayer fun, this is a great buy.
Update 7-20-2014
Must get kids games:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - Xbox 360 (3-6 year old, 2 player, easy and fun)
Toy Story 3 The Video Game - Playstation 3 (3-9 year old+, 2 player, FPS for kids)
Rio - Xbox 360 (3-9 year old+, 4 player, 30+ Party games for kids)
Lego Batman (3-7 year old+, 2 player, puzzler, 3rd person shooter)
Disney Universe - Xbox 360 (4-10 year olds, 4 player, fast action w/mini games, pure arcade play)
Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (4-9 year old, 4 player, arcade side scroll er)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (4-9 year old+, 2 player, huge world, action-adventure, younger kids need older player)
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (4-12 year olds, 2 player, nice variety of puzzle-gameplay, younger kids need older player)
LEGO Star Wars III The Clone Wars - Xbox 360 (5-9 year old+, 2 player, RTS game for kids)
Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (5-14 year olds, 2 player, younger players need to play with older player to navigate world, gameplay fan-tastic, low puzzles)
LEGO Lord of the Rings - Xbox 360 (6-14 year olds, 2 player, my son at 5 struggles but can play with heavy guidance from me, fun game, dad approved, low puzzles)
Minecraft - Xbox 360 (6-17 year olds, 2 player (can be large multiplayer) creative gameplay)
Rest of Lego games are all worth playing, if it wasn't for lego games XBOX would be a vast wasteland for kids under age 8. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best platformers... Ever?, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Few games ever bring me back to that boyhood feeling I got when I first opened up Super Mario World on Christmas Day. It was magic. I didn't want to bother with the countless other presents under the tree. This was it! The one! I remember my parents calling me back into the room to "finish opening gifts." Never had this felt so agonizing. I wanted to play! When I finally placed that cartridge in the SNES, it was as though I could understand all the constellations... like I developed a 5 type of taste... :) I literally played until my thumbs blistered. But I didn't stop there. My friends and I would then put band-aids on them so we could continue. It was a magical game with imaginative levels, creative game play mechanics, and, at the time, awesome graphics. There was a great deal of depth of play throughout its "96" levels and I enjoyed every one.
In approximately 20 years of gaming since that day, I have not encountered a 2D platformer that could hold a candle to it. Until now. Rayman Origins is extraordinary. While it doesn't introduce much (if any) new ideas or game play to the genre, it takes what it borrowed and perfects it. It is beautifully rendered, has significant depth, surprising replayability, and a very good difficulty curve that will at once be fun for new comers, but still significantly challenge even the most avid gamers. After a week of play my thumbs began to hurt- a feeling I haven't had in ages.
The way of 2D games has kind of been relinquished to DLC over PSN or XBLA. While there are some great ones out there, they do not have the same depth, beauty, and sheer amount of content. Rayman Origins is well worth the money. It is not only one of the best platformers of all time, but it is also, perhaps, one of the best I've played on any of this generations consoles. You would be remiss to pass on this.

Rayman Origins - Xbox 360
Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 by UBI Soft (Xbox 360)
$24.45